Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Helter Skelter posted:

You should probably look at more than just the King County results.

Oh... oh no... no no no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Eyman's lovely initiative will probably be deemed unconstitutional anyway. Apparently the no on 1366 campaign only raised $150k so no counter effort was made. Still, I thought all the polls showed it losing.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
loving Washington state voters passing another stupid Eyeman initiative that the State Supreme Court is going to overturn. Just what the state needs, basically more of the same as every other year.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Eyman's lovely initiative will probably be deemed unconstitutional anyway. Apparently the no on 1366 campaign only raised $150k so no counter effort was made. Still, I thought all the polls showed it losing.
It looks like a couple weeks ago it was only 42% in favor, 42% opposed, which is trending towards losing from July's 49%/36% split, but 16% undecided is a pretty big margin.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Isn't Eyman the reason we have those ridiculously worded advisory votes that try to make it sound like every attempt to collect revenue without putting it to a referendum vote is run away government? My roommate and I couldn't believe some of the contortions the language on those went through.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RuanGacho posted:

Isn't Eyman the reason we have those ridiculously worded advisory votes that try to make it sound like every attempt to collect revenue without putting it to a referendum vote is run away government? My roommate and I couldn't believe some of the contortions the language on those went through.

Yes.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Tim Eyman is a scourge. The poster boy for the downsides of direct democracy.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Plus notice that the only "liberal" measure this time around is a relatively inoffensive one about animal trafficking.

I'm sure most of the big ones will be next year, so I completely believe that Eyman is aiming for the increased conservative turnout during off year elections.

Cascadia will never be free unless Tim Eyman is banished.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

foobardog posted:

Plus notice that the only "liberal" measure this time around is a relatively inoffensive one about animal trafficking.

I'm sure most of the big ones will be next year, so I completely believe that Eyman is aiming for the increased conservative turnout during off year elections.

Cascadia will never be free unless Tim Eyman is banished.

Yeah, I think Oregon got hit with more or less the same non-sense during the 1990s, it didn't turn out that great.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 4, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Tim Eyman has been doing this for sixteens years! You'd think the people who keep passing poo poo like cutting taxes and adding 2/3rds majority voting would get a clue and attack the constitution directly. I'm thankful they don't but why the hell haven't they tried?

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Tim Eyman has been doing this for sixteens years! You'd think the people who keep passing poo poo like cutting taxes and adding 2/3rds majority voting would get a clue and attack the constitution directly. I'm thankful they don't but why the hell haven't they tried?

Initiatives can't amend the state constitution in Washington. The legislature needs to approve a proposed amendment first with a 2/3rds majority.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Freakazoid_ posted:

That's exactly what Eyman's current initiative tries to do: it puts a revenue-cut gun to the head of the legislature and says "amend the constitution, or else."

For what it's worth, the state Supreme Court has already signaled that this is almost certainly unconstitutional. All it will succeed in doing is costing Washington taxpayers millions of dollars in an ugly legal fight. But, the initiative has already succeeded in its real purpose: giving Tim Eyman access to donors and a campaign account filled with delicious money that would certainly never be misappropriated to cover his personal expenses.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I am seriously.contemplating what it would take to institute an initiative that says all the numerated initiatives still in effect by known (hopefully by then) convicted felon Tim Eyman are hereby repealed, for the grace and dignity of the people of Washington.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

I am seriously.contemplating what it would take to institute an initiative that says all the numerated initiatives still in effect by known (hopefully by then) convicted felon Tim Eyman are hereby repealed, for the grace and dignity of the people of Washington.

That sounds like a total bill of attainder, and that doesn't fly. It'd also be an ex post facto law, so it might feel good, but be just as unconstitutional.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

foobardog posted:

That sounds like a total bill of attainder, and that doesn't fly. It'd also be an ex post facto law, so it might feel good, but be just as unconstitutional.

I suspect it'd fly since it's just an initiative that repeals a bunch of initiatives, except the most important one

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yeah I would numerate the laws and initiatives specifically, the rest is just flavor text :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tim Eyman will probably be making terrible anti-tax initiatives until the day he dies. He'll probably face several investigations into how his campaign funds are spent / laundered, but will ultimately come up short. He literally is the skid mark of Washington politics.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

Yeah I would numerate the laws and initiatives specifically, the rest is just flavor text :v:

Istvun posted:

I suspect it'd fly since it's just an initiative that repeals a bunch of initiatives, except the most important one

Hmm. I knew about the Horse's rear end initiative, and you're right, we can do this...

I'm now imagining Inslee coming on camera and saying "My fellow Washingtonians, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Tim Eyman forever. We begin bombing in five minutes." It makes me happier.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Can't we like... exile him? Is there anything in our constitution saying we can't just exile a person?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Put blackface on him and leave him outside seattle PD

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

anthonypants posted:

Amazon opened a physical bookstore in University Village today?

I know this was a page back now, but Amazon didn't open a bookstore, Amazon opened an "Amazon Technology Store" much like Apple and Microsoft have, theirs just happens to have some books in it. But only books that get 4.5 stars or more in reviews are considered for placement in their "bookstore".

And also gently caress Tim Eyeman. Kick him out and make him move to Idaho where he could make even more money scamming gullible mormons conservatives. God knows my family would love him, but at least he wouldn't be in my state anymore.

Kalista fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 4, 2015

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Kalista posted:

I know this was a page back now, but Amazon didn't open a bookstore, Amazon opened an "Amazon Technology Store" much like Apple and Microsoft have, theirs just happens to have some books in it. But only books that get 4.5 stars or more in reviews are considered for placement in their "bookstore".

And also gently caress Tim Eyeman. Kick him out and make him move to Idaho where he could make even more money scamming gullible mormons conservatives. God knows my family would love him, but at least he wouldn't be in my state anymore.

Other than the kindle, what technology releases has amazon come up with that weren't total failures?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mrit posted:

Other than the kindle, what technology releases has amazon come up with that weren't total failures?
Assuming you mean the eInk Kindle, the tablets have also done fine. I've heard decent things about the Echo and FireTV.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mrit posted:

The Echo sounds cool as hell. I haven't used one though!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I think Oregon got hit with more or less the same non-sense during the 1990s, it didn't turn out that great.

Our Tim Eyman was Bill Sizemore. I haven't heard anything about him since he announced we was running for governor in 2010 and was arrested for tax evasion a week later.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The Echo sounds cool as hell. I haven't used one though!

Ours controls all the lights in our house with some tinkering with it and our zwave system. It's creepy to walk in and say "alexia, turn all lights on" "oooooohhhkay"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

logger posted:

loving Washington state voters passing another stupid Eyeman initiative that the State Supreme Court is going to overturn. Just what the state needs, basically more of the same as every other year.

They should just make a checklist so they can quickly get it done.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Mrit posted:

Yes, the Kindle, the Fire, Echo, for the most part. The store isn't there to sell books, it's there to sell Amazon Product (TM), and they've shoehorned that into a "bookstore" format.

"Speaking of the Kindle, Amazon’s other hardware products are featured directly in the center of the store, similar to what Apple or Microsoft do at their own physical retail locations. There is also an “Amazon Answers” desk to help customers with any product questions.

Other amenities include a small hangout space for customers to sit down and browse through magazines or e-books with a Fire tablet. In the children’s books area, there are beanbags and a table equipped with — yes, you guessed it, more Fire tablets — where kids can spend time with their parents...

You’ll even find Amazon’s Echo, the company’s intelligent, talking home speaker/virtual assistant, located on a table that is somewhat symbolic of Amazon’s innovations in the book industry. This particular table includes traditional printed books that have been made into movies. Alongside the paperbacks are Amazon Fire HD tablets that let customers watch movie trailers on IMDb, another Amazon-owned company. There are also headphones hooked to the tablets that let you listen to audiobooks from Amazon’s Audible app. And finally, you can talk to the Echo device and ask something like “Alexa, read Moby Dick” — seconds later, a robot starts reading Moby Dick."

And none of the books have prices on them. You either have to look them up on Amazon on your phone, or use a scanning kiosk.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/inside-amazons-first-bookstore-how-the-online-giant-is-combining-digital-with-physical-retail/

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kalista posted:

Yes, the Kindle, the Fire, Echo, for the most part. The store isn't there to sell books, it's there to sell Amazon Product (TM), and they've shoehorned that into a "bookstore" format.

"Speaking of the Kindle, Amazon’s other hardware products are featured directly in the center of the store, similar to what Apple or Microsoft do at their own physical retail locations. There is also an “Amazon Answers” desk to help customers with any product questions.

Other amenities include a small hangout space for customers to sit down and browse through magazines or e-books with a Fire tablet. In the children’s books area, there are beanbags and a table equipped with — yes, you guessed it, more Fire tablets — where kids can spend time with their parents...

You’ll even find Amazon’s Echo, the company’s intelligent, talking home speaker/virtual assistant, located on a table that is somewhat symbolic of Amazon’s innovations in the book industry. This particular table includes traditional printed books that have been made into movies. Alongside the paperbacks are Amazon Fire HD tablets that let customers watch movie trailers on IMDb, another Amazon-owned company. There are also headphones hooked to the tablets that let you listen to audiobooks from Amazon’s Audible app. And finally, you can talk to the Echo device and ask something like “Alexa, read Moby Dick” — seconds later, a robot starts reading Moby Dick."

And none of the books have prices on them. You either have to look them up on Amazon on your phone, or use a scanning kiosk.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/inside-amazons-first-bookstore-how-the-online-giant-is-combining-digital-with-physical-retail/

This is almost indistinguishable from a Barnes & Noble.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Kalista posted:

Well, with the overwhelming success of bookstores in the past 20 years, its no wonder Amazon is getting into the mix! Maybe they can even convince someone to buy one of the Amazon phones they have a million units of left over.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Could anyone point me to some good sources/articles about Tim Eyman and his bullshit? I'd like to educate myself further (WI transplant who's only been growing aware of this guy in the past few years) and also explain how lovely he is to friends from out of state.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Could anyone point me to some good sources/articles about Tim Eyman and his bullshit? I'd like to educate myself further (WI transplant who's only been growing aware of this guy in the past few years) and also explain how lovely he is to friends from out of state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Eyman

quote:

Eyman's work on Initiative 695 in 2000 ($30 Car Tabs) was recognized by the Conservative Political Action Conference with its Ronald Reagan Award.[32]

[...]

On January 30, Eyman filed an initiative and a referendum, both intended to repeal a measure which added sexual orientation to the list of categories against which discrimination in housing, lending, and employment is banned in the state of Washington. Supporters of the initiative argued the law it was attempting to repeal did nothing more than give preferential treatment to certain groups

[...]

Eyman filed Initiative 517 on April 15, 2012, to "set penalties for interfering with signature-gatherers or signers."[30] It was referred to 2013 session of legislature, which declined to pass it, sending it to the general election for November 5, 2013. Among those opposing I-517 were former Republican Attorney General of Washington, Rob McKenna, publishing on smartergovernmentwa.org:

Former Republican Attorney General of Washington, Rob McKenna, urging a NO vote on I-517:[55] —
I-517, the "initiative on initiatives," would lengthen the amount of time initiative organizers have to gather signatures and require access to public buildings and certain pieces of private property for signature gatherers to solicit signatures.
The initiative and referendum system is one of our most important democratic tools and the right of the people to petition their government should be robustly protected. While I-517 has some positive aspects, it goes too far and its impositions on private property owners will likely be struck down by the courts.[56]

Need we really say more?

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 5, 2015

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

He's your basic fratrat brotrepreneur that, once faced with his inability to succeed in a business explicitly trading on his ability to connect with his fellow pieces of poo poo, copied the work of Grover Norquist spawn in other states and presented it as a unique idea here. After targeting the destruction of Affirmative Action, he gained real traction via other regressive anti-taxation petitions and enriched himself with a pattern of illicit campaign fund mismanagement that began at minimum in 2002, if not before.

The state would have been improved if he had decided to eat the barrel the moment he was proven a failure at legitimate business.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The worst is that supporters of Tim Eyman acknowledge that his initiatives usually aren't constitutionally eligible, but vote for them anyways to "send a message to Olympia that we're tired of taxes!" as if that's really going to change anything.

If Eyman's projected initiative goes through (it will be likely blocked by the supreme court), it would burn a $1 billion hole in the state's budget. A state that is under contempt of court for failing to adequately fund education.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

The worst is that supporters of Tim Eyman acknowledge that his initiatives usually aren't constitutionally eligible, but vote for them anyways to "send a message to Olympia that we're tired of taxes!" as if that's really going to change anything.
How about an initiative where anyone who announces an initiative that is unconstitutional gets to personally foot the lawyer bills

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Sure are a lot of posters in this thread that don't like democracy. The people have voted 6 times now in 2 decades to require a 2/3rds majority to raise taxes. Maybe you know we should have majority rule?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

KingFisher posted:

Sure are a lot of posters in this thread that don't like democracy. The people have voted 6 times now in 2 decades to require a 2/3rds majority to raise taxes. Maybe you know we should have majority rule?

We've seen this before in California, there's a reason why the elected officials won't do it without being put under hostage threat.

Taxes shouldn't be any different than anything else and receptive to the changing environment they're in.

Of course if your tax policy is no taxes ever BTW give me free services then of course you like the idea.

E: its the same as charter schools, it seems like a new genius bold innovation until you ask the simple question of what the consequences are.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 7, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They put new taxes on the ballot every year down here and they are shot down by a landslide every year. You'd think they'd quit wasting money on special elections with foregone conclusions, but nope. Dig that hole even deeper. Usually it's the same exact property tax levy they try every year but this time they tried a sales tax. Surprise! It lost hard. :iiam:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Eyman and Rob McKenna should be handcuffed together. That's it, that's the punishment. Now you're handcuffed to one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

We've seen this before in California, there's a reason why the elected officials won't do it without being put under hostage threat.

Taxes shouldn't be any different than anything else and receptive to the changing environment they're in.

Of course if your tax policy is no taxes ever BTW give me free services then of course you like the idea.

E: its the same as charter schools, it seems like a new genius bold innovation until you ask the simple question of what the consequences are.

The people get the government they are willing to pay for. If they through a 6 time expression of popular will choose to constrain how much they pay then the courts should respect that. Besides the constitutional amendment would still need to be passed by the people as well, so its not like the consent of the governed is lacking here.

• Locked thread