Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

We haven't been able to build any pressure at all. Boundary balls all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

We haven't been able to build any pressure at all. Boundary balls all over the place.

Saving this quote for when MiJo, Starc and Haze bowl.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Oh look australia is batting well in Australia

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Was a v good toss to win, get the new dudes in without scoreboard pressure

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Saving this quote for when MiJo, Starc and Haze bowl.

Facing 550/2 declared our guys will crumble regardless.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Holy poo poo a wicket

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I like Burns but that was a bit Wattoesque. Kind of robotic footwork and just waving at the ball. Needs to tighten that up a bit. Still a good first wicket partnership. Will we see the traditional Australian collapse after getting off to a great start.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
aww burns

now i can't post "ehhhxcellent" when he scores a ton

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Finally a wicket falls. Burns did pretty well, at least.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
couldnt even get a century on debut against these minnows. australian cricket is in a shambles

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Burns is playing his third Test though

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Seams posted:

Oh for sure...I think he played really well. Just prefer to see that front leg coming more across so he is playing away from his body less.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Craig seems to be pretty poo poo.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Warner has to be one of the best runners between the wickets in world cricket. What a speedy little fella he is.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
It's good to see David Warner playing that stupid mid wicket jab without fear of a swinging ball or any pitch danger at all.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Oh for sure...I think he played really well. Just prefer to see that front leg coming more across so he is playing away from his body less.

I think other than Smith footwork is an area most Australian batsman need to work on. I like Burns though. No tons yet but he's also yet to fail completely. He's like the anti-Smarsh so far

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Craig seems to be pretty poo poo.

So does Boult tbh

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Seams posted:

I think other than Smith footwork is an area most Australian batsman need to work on. I like Burns though. No tons yet but he's also yet to fail completely. He's like the anti-Smarsh so far

Dare I say it but Australian cricketers are very robotic which for mine comes from overuse of bowling machines. Particularly in rep junior cricket sides. One doesn't have to bat like Smith and AB where it doesn't matter where the stumps are but just little adjustments like taking a small step towards the off side as a trigger movement.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Great century from Davey. He is certainly good in Australia.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Seams posted:

oops

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Great century from Davey. He is certainly good in Australia.

He's just a good player generally.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
"Do you think Warner will be a good leader?"

*long silence, stifled laughter*

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Warner has literally turned into the guy who posts baby pictures on fb.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The whole Mark Craig thing is pretty depressing - he's done ok so far in his career but we all knew it was mainly luck and he'd get carted by good batsmen. At best he's our 4th best spinner behind Patel, Sodhi & Astle but we just go ahead and get this inevitable outcome.

:negative:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I think that's being a little unfair on Craig. This isn't a good pitch for basically and of our bowlers sadly.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Aww, Rogers and Harris in the ABC commentary box :3:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I've seen good off spinners fail in Australia. This Craig fellow doesn't look great.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Aww I didn't realise Vettori had retired. I thought he would be in the NZ team til age 50.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bit flat this.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Aww I didn't realise Vettori had retired. I thought he would be in the NZ team til age 50.

Vettori played 1 test in the last 3 years or so.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I like to see batsmen running 4.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Warner's longest Test innings in terms of balls faced!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Why do tv producers think we give a flying gently caress about what some random dickhead said on twitter?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is Australia 301/1?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Why do tv producers think we give a flying gently caress about what some random dickhead said on twitter?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Josh Lyman posted:

How is Australia 301/1?

The batsmen didn't prod pointlessly at everything outside off stump

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hussey is a pretty good commentator.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

How is Australia 301/1?

FTB HTH

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

It's cheap and easy space-filler. Same reason news websites run endless articles about "the social media backlash to <something>"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Seams posted:

The batsmen didn't prod pointlessly at everything outside off stump

Lol Warner.