Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol. Peter is now floofed and seems to be offering his swing to fat bird because he's sat underneath it pushing it towards her like "you want this new friend, it's my favourite" I'm not sure he realises that there are bars in the way.

Thor has discovered the new bark toy and is attacking it, Loki has discovered thor's tail and is nipping at the end of it, budgie has got hold of the rope from an old toy and is attacking it

In the other cage, drama had been watching Thor attack his new toy and discovered that he has one as well and is attacking it. Sky is sat there all floofy because she wants to go to sleep.

That was the news.

Update: Loki has stopped nipping at thor's tail and is now attacking the other side of the new toy, she is a bit slow, even for a potato, but she gets there in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

SaNChEzZ posted:

Says it is for me?

Yeah it is now, some more votes seem to have been added since. It was at four bars earlier. Thanks lurkers? :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yeah it is now, some more votes seem to have been added since. It was at four bars earlier. Thanks lurkers? :3:

Weeird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Admittedly, it is a possibility I huffed too much cockatiel dust and hallucinated it, but I remember seeing it/noting it yesterday too

painted bird posted:

Eris is doing well! She's still wary of us, but she hangs out with the budgies a lot and seems to be adjusting.

Now we just need a plan to get her hand-tame.

The plan should involve generous amounts of sunflower seeds/Cheerios/teeny tiny pieces of cheese on the rare occasion

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Was a rough night for bird owners apparently, Oscar started chirping and flapping at 0445, for no apparent reason. I put the light on and uncovered him and he went right to his perch and fluffed up. Recovered him and went back to bed. Weirdo. Also Daisy has begun putting herself to bed. She climbs down off her daytime perch and into her cage and goes to her sleep spot. I'll take it. Only problem is that with the time change shes doing it as soon as its dark out. Which is around 530pm.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Eejit posted:

I would really, really like to be able to do this with Teeka but he is balance impaired so he would need to go in a backpack or I'd have to hold him on one arm (like a falconer) the entire way. He can't safely fly and lol at him trying to walk. I do a ton of hiking and it would be amazing to have him with during the summer, though.

What I really want is some way to mount him to my road bike.

There was a guy in my hometown who had a cockatoo that would sit on his handlebars while he road his bike around town, without a harness!

That was the friendliest bird, he knew what cameras were and would always act up in front of them and then demand to see the pictures. Adorabirb.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did I ever tell you all about the time we couldn't get drama and shy back in the cage? I don't think I did.

Cage was in my daughter's room so I could clean my room, she decided "yay lets open the cage top so they can be freeee :D"
Yah. Birds decided that they didn't want to go back in the cage, ever, and at that point I couldn't find a net big enough to catch them in my small northern town. So we did the sensible thing which was take the food pots and put them at the bottom of the cage and then she would close the cage as soon as they went home.
This didn't happen for a day, I got worried but then Drama broke first and we got 'Im. Moved big cage out of her room but a small travel cage down to catch shy. Two days pass and she still hasn't gone into the cage and to my knowlage hasn't eaten or drunk anything. Then I look around the room and see a small water pot "I thought she might be thirsty" then I look under the wardrobe and one of the birds had taken a large sprig of millet out of the cage when we were not looking and hidden it under there. Removed millet, bird went back into cage for food, trapped very pissed off bird.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Tendai posted:

Well that was an embarrassing high-pitched noise I just made under my breath.
:cheers:
Here, have an offering of lovely, grainy cell phone pics:

Birdie kisses! ^.^

Simon contemplating the universe.

Agent355 posted:

A pipe dream of mine is to harness train a large parrot and take them for walks. I can only imagine how much an intelligent pet like a bird would enjoy going on a hike or something. Maybe I'm projecting.
Well, he's not a large parrot, but he's good on the harness:

We've also taken Pazuzu on walks, too. Simon likes to chew on the harness, so we always have to watch him with it. Zuz is...just Zuz. As my coworker decreed, after I described him to her, Pazuzu is the Forrest Gump of our birds.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I have a question for all you more experienced bird havers. A two parter. What size cage do you like best for conures? My GCC Sammy is in a 30 x 24 x 20 and I want to upgrade him. Any cage recommendations? I've been eyeballing some Pervue or Best Choice ones on Amazon.

Second, how do you optimize perches, toys, etc? My Nanday is in a far larger cage ( 34 x 24 x 22) but she doesn't explore much. I think if I get a good layout, she'll move around more.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Eejit posted:

Post more Bonny!

Teeka demands it!

The beautiful Teeka will get it.

Agent355 posted:

A pipe dream of mine is to harness train a large parrot and take them for walks. I can only imagine how much an intelligent pet like a bird would enjoy going on a hike or something. Maybe I'm projecting.

That is one of my long term goals, I have the harness and could probably get it on her but the rest is a long way off.

Shirec posted:

I have a question for all you more experienced bird havers. A two parter. What size cage do you like best for conures? My GCC Sammy is in a 30 x 24 x 20 and I want to upgrade him. Any cage recommendations? I've been eyeballing some Pervue or Best Choice ones on Amazon.

Second, how do you optimize perches, toys, etc? My Nanday is in a far larger cage ( 34 x 24 x 22) but she doesn't explore much. I think if I get a good layout, she'll move around more.

Do you mean Prevue? Its a bargain cage manufacture, a step above no name ebay stuff. To keep cost down they use smaller gauge wire, larger spacing, the powder coat is very thin, and the QA is not that great. So what this means in practical terms is that the cage will not last that long 5+ years depending on how well you take care of it (you could get a lot more). For your size bird smaller gauge wire is not that big of a deal. Bad QA in this case just means that there will be some chipped coat that will have to be covered, some bent wires (you can bend them back), the seed guard could be a bent mess (you can still bend it back), and the included dowel(you should avoid dowels anyway, they are very bad for birds, cause lots of foot problems do to the fact the bird puts all its weight on the same pressure points for countless hours) might be broken or need to be thrown out. The thinner powder coat means that you have to clean it more often, and it will be more prone to rusting and breaking.

Don't get me wrong they are good cages for the money, if you look at the first photo in this post you can see the cage that Bonny came in, I replaced it with the Prevue Empire cage (46" L, 36" W, 78 3/4" H with 1 3/8" wire spacing), you can see it in the third photo.

And I love it, its a massive amount of space for the money.

Now about size, I actually also own a Quaker Parrot, his cage is 24"x22"x64 with 3/4" spacing. Its a nice size for him and allows him to move around in and allows me to set up different play areas. The bar spacing is important, I would not go larger than 3/4", the larger the bar spacing the harder it is for them to move around in, but the real danger is that they could fit their heads through and get caught.

If you have the money, King Cages are considered some of the best, they will last longer, have larger gauge wire, and smaller spacing.

If you are rolling in money, the best you can get are stainless steal cages, they will outlast you, and keep their value.

1500 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 5, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

wow multi post, it was telling me there was an error when I tried and to try again.

1500 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

wow multi post, it was telling me there was an error when I tried.

1500 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 5, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

wow multi post, it was telling me there was an error when I tried.

1500 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 5, 2015

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That bird is just the most outrageous cacophony of vibrant color I have ever seen. Bonny has really gorgeous coloration though, with some seriously elegant multi-toned feathers. What a birb

Nov 3, 2015

Eejit posted:

That bird is just the most outrageous cacophony of vibrant color I have ever seen. Bonny has really gorgeous coloration though, with some seriously elegant multi-toned feathers. What a birb

She really does, for the first month I just could not get over how fake she looked. It was hard to believe that those colors, and multi-toned feathers were possible. The amazing thing is that the underside of her feathers are a different color. Her read and blue tail feathers are orange and yellow on the underside, and her blue wing feathers are also yellow on the underside.

I keep getting

Database Unavailable! Messages.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

holy poo poo those colours are amazing :stare:

she looks like a rainbow paddlepop ice cream

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

holy poo poo those colours are amazing :stare:

she looks like a rainbow paddlepop ice cream
Much like sun conures, I doubt she tastes as good :saddowns:

(Sun conures not smelling like Skittles remains one of the most unfair things in the goddamn universe)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Rainbow Lorikeets smell like fermented fruit.

But yeah, sun conures should smell like sherbert. If you feed them jalapeños they smell like those for a while, for better or worse. And give burning kisses.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Love the iridescent colors, looks like Bonny crash landed in a paint store. Beautiful birb.

On cage talk, I keep meaning to ask: Eejit, what cage is that, that Teeka lives in? It looks... beefy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I could turn my yellow canary peach by feeding him seeds soaked in strawberry dye and he would smell like strawberries, but I've seen canaries like that before and I'm again it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

1500 posted:

She's beautiful. So many different colours in one. What's her personality like? Is she showing any signs of hitting her teenage years? I read about how the wild macaws take over a decade to reach adulthood, but captive birds can hit it as early as even only two years old.

You mention having a harness for her but what about a giant bird hoodie

learnincurve posted:

I could turn my yellow canary peach by feeding him seeds soaked in strawberry dye and he would smell like strawberries, but I've seen canaries like that before and I'm again it.

I feed Ohtori cardamon pods so he doesn't smell like wet dog after baths (and he loves them anyway)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco smells like KFC after he has a shower :pwn:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Eris and the budgies smell like their pellets and also kind of ... sharp? Hay-like?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't like the strawberry dye thing because my canary is clever and curious enough to have a heart attack out of pure confusion if he looked in the mirror and saw that he was the wrong colour.

Canaries and finches are such underrated birds, they are the perfect starter birds and great for people who don't have much time, and canaries are trainable as well. Pity they are seen as "boring" but that's because they are lazy, if you get their attention they will engage with you like any other bird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori attempts to play Puzzle and Dragons

Good use of strategy 'Tori. However, he doesn't feel like repeating his victory (btw using the bird AS the stylus is much less successful)

Bath time

Meanwhile Steve falls in love with the cloth used to wipe up Ohtori's mess

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suntan Boy posted:

On cage talk, I keep meaning to ask: Eejit, what cage is that, that Teeka lives in? It looks... beefy.

I don't actually know anymore. It's as old as he is--19--but we've had to replace the base on it. And the paper tray which corroded from birb poop. And made a few other modifications. So unfortunately I have no idea what it is but yeah, it is indeed rather beefy. Although as sturdy as it is, it isn't cockatoo proof without some extra locking carabiners and such.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Meanwhile Steve falls in love with the cloth used to wipe up Ohtori's mess

That's the exact face mine makes when we put a new dish towel in the cage. He doesn't get much mileage out of a happy hut or anything, but he will snuggle with a towel and we're pretty sure he does feel a little special something because he's ~got the look~

Eejit fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 5, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Flirty Steve got quoted so I'm gonna go with buzzsaw bathing Ohtori :3: (((VIBRATE INCREASES)))

EDIT: Judah gives no shits about the blizzard outside. Speaking of poo poo SOMEONE STEPPED IN SOMETHING MR. POOPFOOT :mad:

He looks so pensive to me :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Eejit posted:

That's the exact face mine makes when we put a new dish towel in the cage. He doesn't get much mileage out of a happy hut or anything, but he will snuggle with a towel and we're pretty sure he does feel a little special something because he's ~got the look~

I'm sure a hut would just be ignored, same even with one of those snuggle attachment things, sadly

Teeka cuddling with his towel must be adorable as hell-does he shred it up, or love it for as long as possible?

Tendai posted:

Flirty Steve got quoted so I'm gonna go with buzzsaw bathing Ohtori :3: (((VIBRATE INCREASES)))

EDIT: Judah gives no shits about the blizzard outside. Speaking of poo poo SOMEONE STEPPED IN SOMETHING MR. POOPFOOT :mad:

He looks so pensive to me :3:

There's a video of Steve+cloth but it's just 2 minutes of him whistling badly while being poked in the face with it

Judah looks like he's trying to act like a grumpy old gently caress when really he's middle aged at best. You pet that burd!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

1500 posted:

I'm dying, he looks like the best rainbow bird :3: I have such strong urges now. Please feel free to post all pictures forever and ever.

1500 posted:

Do you mean Prevue? Its a bargain cage manufacture, a step above no name ebay stuff. To keep cost down they use smaller gauge wire, larger spacing, the powder coat is very thin, and the QA is not that great. So what this means in practical terms is that the cage will not last that long 5+ years depending on how well you take care of it (you could get a lot more). For your size bird smaller gauge wire is not that big of a deal. Bad QA in this case just means that there will be some chipped coat that will have to be covered, some bent wires (you can bend them back), the seed guard could be a bent mess (you can still bend it back), and the included dowel(you should avoid dowels anyway, they are very bad for birds, cause lots of foot problems do to the fact the bird puts all its weight on the same pressure points for countless hours) might be broken or need to be thrown out. The thinner powder coat means that you have to clean it more often, and it will be more prone to rusting and breaking.

Don't get me wrong they are good cages for the money, if you look at the first photo in this post you can see the cage that Bonny came in, I replaced it with the Prevue Empire cage (46" L, 36" W, 78 3/4" H with 1 3/8" wire spacing), you can see it in the third photo.

And I love it, its a massive amount of space for the money.

Now about size, I actually also own a Quaker Parrot, his cage is 24"x22"x64 with 3/4" spacing. Its a nice size for him and allows him to move around in and allows me to set up different play areas. The bar spacing is important, I would not go larger than 3/4", the larger the bar spacing the harder it is for them to move around in, but the real danger is that they could fit their heads through and get caught.

If you have the money, King Cages are considered some of the best, they will last longer, have larger gauge wire, and smaller spacing.

If you are rolling in money, the best you can get are stainless steal cages, they will outlast you, and keep their value.

I did mean Prevue. Thank you! Those are some good things to consider. I had read on some of the reviews about the problems with seed guards and ill fitting pieces, so I might choose another brand.

I love Steve :kimchi: Such a cutie!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

There's a video of Steve+cloth but it's just 2 minutes of him whistling badly while being poked in the face with it

Judah looks like he's trying to act like a grumpy old gently caress when really he's middle aged at best. You pet that burd!
He was actually mid-whistle at me but I managed to get him looking grumpy instead :v: Sorry Judah.

Bird has been petted, and also danced around with to odd Korean hip-hop. He enjoyed it and is now asleep in my hood earlier than usual today, since Kiska had enough of this poo poo and went to pass out in the bedroom so he could come out.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Not sure how you could do it, but a photo of a cockatiel asleep in your hood = :3: I can imagine a conure, but cockatiels seem like they'd just be super terrified/offended/whatever to do something like that.

E: Apparently mine has gone and puffed to sleep on the floor of his cage, tucked into and facing a corner

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Not sure how you could do it, but a photo of a cockatiel asleep in your hood = :3: I can imagine a conure, but cockatiels seem like they'd just be super terrified/offended/whatever to do something like that.

E: Apparently mine has gone and puffed to sleep on the floor of his cage, tucked into and facing a corner
I have tried so many times to get a picture of him but between the length of my hair and the angle I can never get more than a tailfeather or a blurry Bigfoot-esque shot. He's had this habit since he was a baby when I first got him, it's pretty friggin' cute :3: He just wiggles himself down in there and takes a nap, only waking up long enough to beak me halfheartedly if I move too much.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Tendai posted:

I have tried so many times to get a picture of him but between the length of my hair and the angle I can never get more than a tailfeather or a blurry Bigfoot-esque shot. He's had this habit since he was a baby when I first got him, it's pretty friggin' cute :3: He just wiggles himself down in there and takes a nap, only waking up long enough to beak me halfheartedly if I move too much.

They should invent tiny GoPros for things like this, or pet selfie sticks. So much adorableness, all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

A photo taken via standing in front of a mirror, maybe? So you can see the screen and angle of the shot etc

I'm definitely not jealous nope not at all not me

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop smells like fruitloops.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Skillet is really bad at flying, and also insists on trying to fly pretty frequently. Unfortunately, this has lead to his tail feathers snapping off, one by one, until we're reduced to this, a lowly duck butt:

I know it's sad that he won't have tail feathers until they grow back but it's so cute I want to die :kimchi: Other than making him even worse at flying (a thing he is already terrible at anyway) he doesn't seem terribly bothered by the feather shortage. 

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Mirthless posted:

Skillet is really bad at flying, and also insists on trying to fly pretty frequently. Unfortunately, this has lead to his tail feathers snapping off, one by one, until we're reduced to this, a lowly duck butt:

I know it's sad that he won't have tail feathers until they grow back but it's so cute I want to die :kimchi: Other than making him even worse at flying (a thing he is already terrible at anyway) he doesn't seem terribly bothered by the feather shortage. 

Oh my goodness, look at the little fluff face :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: His little duck butt is adorable :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Bah ha ha Auri almost did that to herself until about 6 months ago, she was a duck-butt Amazon aside from about 3-5 scraggly feathers sticking out the back for a while because she'd snap them on landings.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Skillet looks like a lovebird hybrid now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Shy dropped half her tail feathers once, I had wobbly drunk bird flying until they grew back :s