Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
How about this thing about Abbott cutting off funding for "sanctuary" cities? The actual dollar amounts of the grants in question don't sound like much--but doesn't this seem like a type of "coercion" like the Rick Perry/Travis County DA thing?

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-governor-abbott-issues-warning-over-immigrant-detentions-025147604.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nothing Texas Republicans EVER do is illegal, sorry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Number_6 posted:

How about this thing about Abbott cutting off funding for "sanctuary" cities? The actual dollar amounts of the grants in question don't sound like much--but doesn't this seem like a type of "coercion" like the Rick Perry/Travis County DA thing?

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-governor-abbott-issues-warning-over-immigrant-detentions-025147604.html

That's actually a really good question. I'm not a lawyer but my feeling is that because this is not targeted at a specific sheriff it's not direct coercion, and probably the law or line item that gives the Governor's office the grant money gives him discretion over disbursement.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Number_6 posted:

If I remember my Texas government class, in Texas cities gain almost all of their power from the legislature, and so the state government can do what they want with them really.

Counties on the other hand have a lot of things that are constitutionally prescribed, like the election of a county DA. So the previous case was much more clearly an executive using a power to force someone to do something he constitutionally couldn't.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/11/houston-is-already-feeling-the-backlash/

Huh weird it's like these backwards rear end values have become toxic to have or something. Must be the queer mafia or something...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/11/houston-is-already-feeling-the-backlash/

Huh weird it's like these backwards rear end values have become toxic to have or something. Must be the queer mafia or something...

Man, I absolutely 100% support HERO, but that is some lovely rear end reporting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Houston's a lovely place to hold the Super Bowl anyway. Just rotate it between L.A., Miami and New Orleans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Houston's a lovely place to hold the Super Bowl anyway. Just rotate it between L.A., Miami and New Orleans.

They're not moving the Superbowl, the article said an attorney from the proHERO side is considering maybe asking the NFL to move it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The super bowl isn't going anywhere

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The superbowl isn't going anywhere but us just happening to lose the college championship to cities who don't have the bad PR of rejecting basic human dignity probably isn't random.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The superbowl isn't going anywhere but us just happening to lose the college championship to cities who don't have the bad PR of rejecting basic human dignity probably isn't random.

You think they actually made that decision in the last 48 hours and the tipping point was a highly politically charged issue? I guess they could've but I think it's much more likely that it's a coincidence.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No there's plenty of reasons to never do anything in Houston that requires moving large amounts of people, but I do think it's reasonable to say what bumped us from a 'eh I'm not sure about them' slot to a 'nevermind let's not go with them' is the lovely optics of stomping out what a lot of other places in America consider a basic equality bill. I'm sure we weren't high on the list to begin with and it's not like as soon as HERO got hosed someone burst into the office going "BURN THE HOUSTON SIGNS QUICKLY" but I think it could be a factor that makes us unpalatable to do business with, especially if this poo poo catches on in a bigger way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No there's plenty of reasons to never do anything in Houston that requires moving large amounts of people, but I do think it's reasonable to say what bumped us from a 'eh I'm not sure about them' slot to a 'nevermind let's not go with them' is the lovely optics of stomping out what a lot of other places in America consider a basic equality bill. I'm sure we weren't high on the list to begin with and it's not like as soon as HERO got hosed someone burst into the office going "BURN THE HOUSTON SIGNS QUICKLY" but I think it could be a factor that makes us unpalatable to do business with, especially if this poo poo catches on in a bigger way.

I agree that companies and organizations have shown an encouraging willingness to punish cities and states that do antiLGBT stuff and I don't doubt for a second that the mayor is right and the city is going to face economic consequences for the way it voted.

I just think that article is speculating in one case and outright making poo poo up in the other.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
San Marcos took fluoride out of the water.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do agree the superbowl thing was retarded as hell to put in, there's no way any city loses the superbowl and posting some dude saying 'yea I'd like that to happen' isn't proof.

But yea, it's speculation at this point for the college thing, I just think that's a much more reasonable thing to speculate. Regardless I agree that Parker is right and this is just going to hurt us in the grand scheme of things.

Grandito posted:

Almost makes me feel like Houston isn't our dumbest city, thank you San Marcos

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grandito posted:

Dear lord.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Almost makes me feel like Houston isn't our dumbest city, thank you San Marcos

There's no chance Houston is anywhere close to the dumbest city in Texas.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Look Houston may be overcrowded and fat and corrupt and intolerant and hot and has lovely traffic and lots of poor homeless people and

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do you think that vote shakes out in Plano?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

Look Houston may be overcrowded and fat and corrupt and intolerant and hot and has lovely traffic and lots of poor homeless people and

It...it has a lot of cool things too :smith:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It...it has a lot of cool things too :smith:

List of cool things about Houston;
1. The USS Texas docks there

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I suppose it has NASA

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Malleum posted:

Banked track roller derby league.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Malleum posted:

Several cool local breweries :colbert:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Several cool local breweries :colbert:

Every bigger city at this point has several "local cool breweries", this isn't saying much anymore.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Don't forget the wonderful smell of Houston

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grandito posted:

Putting it on the intelligence level of the PNW.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am sort of surprised at the apparent goon support for "top state officials do not have to reside in the town where the organizations they command are". That was the one state prop I thought might actually go down in flames that I wanted to.

I live in Austin and I am all for this. Every couple of years stage legislators from bumfuck add some "gently caress austin" bills because they don't like our plastic bag ban or taxes or other ordinances. Yeah, in 1880 it took a couple weeks to get here from El Paso and that made sense but now you can just fly in or telecommute or make the drive from Georgetown to push your agenda and leave my city council alone thanks.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Malleum posted:

Best Vietnamese food outside of Vietnam.
Filming location of Logan's Run, Rushmore, and Brewster McCloud.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Occasionally your problem with a local business is magically solved by the ghost of Marvin Zindler.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PopRocks posted:

I live in Austin and I am all for this. Every couple of years stage legislators from bumfuck add some "gently caress austin" bills because they don't like our plastic bag ban or taxes or other ordinances. Yeah, in 1880 it took a couple weeks to get here from El Paso and that made sense but now you can just fly in or telecommute or make the drive from Georgetown to push your agenda and leave my city council alone thanks.

I wish our city council wasn't so full of morons now :smith:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Dear Texas,

Your Florida mock privileges are hereby rescinded until further notice, or until somehow Rick Scott ceases to exist.

Signed, Florida.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Edit: Phone posted to wrong thread

In Texas news: At least the people I work with were pro-Prop 1 and disguised by the anti propaganda

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 6, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PopRocks posted:

This is actually a very solid argument that I hadn't thought of before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Too bad it doesn't apply to the Legislature.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
What does flouride do? I know that its the object of conspiracy theories.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mandy Thompson posted:

Strengthens teeth. You know how most people don't really go to the dentist as much as they should and most poor people straight up don't unless they're lucky enough to have a dental plan? Yea fluoride in our water keeps us all from losing our teeth in absence of those trips.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Mandy Thompson posted:

In some circles, flouride in the water will calcify over the pineal gland in the brain and that's where spiritual enlightenment comes from. It's similar to this stuff this guy spouts off:

Crazy alert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Flouride

Take it easy