Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Nebiros posted:

You have to admit it was fun as hell wading through the corpses there though. Second round was heavy Storm Vermin spawns :getin:

It was something alright. Would almost prefer the difficulty went up via numbers than just the rats doing more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

There's one story in one of the warhammer books somewhere where a Gutter Runner breaks into an Imperial costume ball to try to assassinate a noble, gets spotted, but people assume he's in costume. So he just goes along with it and goes and gets hammered and steals the cheese tray.

Skaven are the best.
I think that's in one of the Gotrek and Felix books. Everyone at the party is so trashed and he just plays along. It's adorable. :3:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

There's one story in one of the warhammer books somewhere where a Gutter Runner breaks into an Imperial costume ball to try to assassinate a noble, gets spotted, but people assume he's in costume. So he just goes along with it and goes and gets hammered and steals the cheese tray.

Skaven are the best.

Thats actually pretty awesome. Are there any good Skaven story wise? The Stormvermin are my favorite mob from any game ever.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

LeJackal posted:

Whats the new one?
I stuck around to see if it actually worked as I hosed it up for them by joining in the middle of a fight and killing rats, still finished the map easy though. Then they hosed it up 3 or 4 times in a row trying it on Cataclysm and I wanted to actually play the game so I left. While the idea is there and I can see how it'd work in theory I don't think it's quite right so don't think there's any point in sharing.

In other news, does anyone know what the '4percent chance to apply a deadly poison' trinket actually does? Ie, is it just the elf poison or is it a deadly as in murder instantly poison? Maybe just a huge sharp DOT that fades very quickly? No idea!

Metos fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 5, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

grimcreaper posted:

Thats actually pretty awesome. Are there any good Skaven story wise? The Stormvermin are my favorite mob from any game ever.

If you mean "good" as in terms of morality... not really, they're a race of furry sociopaths with a complete disregard for life. If they do something that has a positive result for the world at large, it's probably by accident - most (in)famously, one of the top Grey Seers, Thanquol, is monstrously unlucky in terms of his schemes going wrong (but he always manages to get away, usually at the expensive of his minions - in the tabletop, he even has a ridiculous ward save that, if it prevents damage, kills another skaven near him) to the point that a Slann mage-priest (aztec toad demigod/priest) had Thanquol at his mercy but let him live because he prophesized that Thanquol being alive would ultimately harm the Skaven way more than him being dead.

Someone told me once that they're a race of Starscreams and they're basically right.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 5, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Metos posted:

I stuck around to see if it actually worked as I hosed it up for them by joining in the middle of a fight and killing rats, still finished the map easy though. Then they hosed it up 3 or 4 times in a row trying it on Cataclysm and I wanted to actually play the game so I left. While the idea is there and I can see how it'd work in theory I don't think it's quite right so don't think there's any point in sharing.

In other news, does anyone know what the '4percent chance to apply a deadly poison' trinket actually does? Ie, is it just the elf poison or is it a deadly as in murder instantly poison? Maybe just a huge sharp DOT that fades very quickly? No idea!

Hilarious story, bro, but thanks for not telling us about it so we can get trapped in a pub-run exploit crew and have our fun ruined.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
Just did a Nightmare Garden of Morr where we had like 7 team deaths but we pushed through and won anyway \m/

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Metos posted:

I have one of these as well. Never tried it because it is dubiously worded. Yet I use the luck trinket. The wording for the drat thing just leaves me going "uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

wat

quote:

orange swift bow why god, why can't you just give me a better than green longbow

Right there with you, even though my greenbow has like a 40% chance to knockdown on hit.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dvsilverwing posted:

I take it you've never done a Nightmare run with all grims and tomes. Good luck with that.

In case others missed this (which I did)

for a new page

:D

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Coolguye posted:

Just did a Nightmare Garden of Morr where we had like 7 team deaths but we pushed through and won anyway \m/

I liked the part where a gutter runner sent the elf into orbit and there wasn't a thing we could do about it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Finally, all the nightmare stuff done, thanks to a drat solid goon group that makes Nightmare feel like Hard. Those Wheat and Chaff runs paid off.

Next up, Cataclysm :v:.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 5, 2015

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I liked the part where a gutter runner sent the elf into orbit and there wasn't a thing we could do about it.

Did that happen in the books too?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The rat ogre getting REALLY confused about being up on the mausoleum for a few moments was also really funny.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Note: Kerillian died on the way back to her home planet

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Coolguye posted:

The rat ogre getting REALLY confused about being up on the mausoleum for a few moments was also really funny.

Rat ogre warpin' around and/or spinning into place seems like a thing now on Engines of War.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Fishstick posted:

Rat ogre warpin' around and/or spinning into place seems like a thing now on Engines of War.

Happens everywhere for me. Sometimes he'll play his charge attack animation, then spaz out and do a ground slam.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm really bad at this game so far to the point where I think I'm dragging down pub groups. Never played L4D but did play quite a bit of payday and my skills there don't seem to be all that transferrable. I always inevitably get surrounded by rats then immediately jumped by a gutter runner. Even when keeping up with the rest of the group.

Anybody got tips? Should I be blocking more? Meleeing less? Been mostly playing as Waywatcher if that makes a difference.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

In case others missed this (which I did)

for a new page

:D

Still haven't successfully completed a nightmare grim/tome run with pubs without doing at least the ammo room. At this point I've just switched to doing BP on Nightmare, which still requires some amount of competence. White loot for days, though.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008
Enemy below is easily the best level to farm on nightmare, even considering the horn glitch. It's at least 5 mins faster and harder for pubs to wipe on generally. Only problem is it can be hard to find a group for

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I had a few pubbie adventures the other day.

The first is short. I was playing with a friend on wizards tower; at the gate with the different illusions for each character, I was talking poo poo about how the elf just sees trees, when the not-elf pub goes "this is usually a forest".

The next funny thing was a pub playing the Witch Hunter who kept giving orders to me over VOIP, and getting flustered when I deliberately did the opposite. "Soldier come up the tower. No, don't go back out! loving soldiers, man". What made it better was after the first map, where I got around 100 more kills and took 100 less damage than him, he got a lot more sheepish about his orders even though I said nothing to him.
"Um... we can... we can stand here, is that right? There's ammo here, and, I... I think it's alright, is that okay?"

The last thing happened was on White Rat; I died on the barrel event, and so did two others. I appeared in the third area, and when one living pub lagged out, his elf bot teleported next to me. The next pub who joined in was an elf. He picked me up, I wandered over and picked up the other two players, and we went round killing the bell's chains without a single rat appearing on the third floor. The level did not end, so we went back and completed the barrel objective; the trigger to instantly kill all skaven at the end of the level fought with the one trying to force rats to spawn on the second level, resulting in rat corpses flowing out of the walls. The level ended after the barrels were in place. Elf pub had no kills. MLG level strats.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

LeJackal posted:

Hilarious story, bro, but thanks for not telling us about it so we can get trapped in a pub-run exploit crew and have our fun ruined.
Congrats champ, you're worried about something that knowing about it beforehand or not makes absolutely 0 difference for!

If they're exploiting then they'll tell you to wait before you jump off, if you join late its super obvious because all the rats are in one spot and everyone else is un-harassed, hope that helps your fun experience!

"trapped in a pub-run exploit crew", jesus christ.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Metos posted:

It's the elf poison. It's weak, has a low chance to happen and probably triggers friendly fire when it actually does work. I'd wear nothing at all rather than bringing that thing.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 5, 2015

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There's a fly hack for the game. You can now fly to the end of the level and finish anything in 30 seconds :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's not a hack, dwarves naturally have the power of flight.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Wish you could just pay 20 white rocks and buy the goddamn weapon you want to play around with at the common rarity instead of rolling like an rear end in a top hat and walking out with yet another blunderbus you'll never use.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'd do anything for a better rapier D:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I now own this videogame and am excited to have this happen to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8IU0qxgSco

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

xthetenth posted:

Bash or power attack for knockback, shoot with handgun.

This is fine for one storm vermin at a time but when there's several I find it really hard to handle.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

This happened to me tonight. I have no idea how a rat ogre can spawn/end up on top of a tree like a Christmas decoration.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Skandranon posted:

It was something alright. Would almost prefer the difficulty went up via numbers than just the rats doing more damage.

Fun fact!

Thanks to cheat engine, I now know that rats on the higher difficulties don't do more damage. You just have less health!

:pseudo:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mr Cuddles posted:

This is fine for one storm vermin at a time but when there's several I find it really hard to handle.

Throw a bomb at them.

If you have a handgun, you really shouldn't be within bashing range of the stormvermin. You also have three teammates to help out. If you're the only one handling the stormvermin then there's a more fundamental issue at play here.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kitfox88 posted:

Fun fact!

Thanks to cheat engine, I now know that rats on the higher difficulties don't do more damage. You just have less health!

:pseudo:

Does that mean abilties like Recovery and Bloodlust are even better at higher levels? Or do they both return %'s and my tool tip is just wrong when it say "chance on hit to give 5 health"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gridlocked posted:

Does that mean abilties like Recovery and Bloodlust are even better at higher levels? Or do they both return %'s and my tool tip is just wrong when it say "chance on hit to give 5 health"

I don't have anything with those effects sadly so I can't test it, but feel free to do so yourself. This is the repository the dude making them is using, and this is an older one of his I'm using that seems a tad more stable. Some of the effects do work in multiplayer but don't be a jerkass, and of course the game doesn't like some of the things so it gets a bit crash happy.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Mr Cuddles posted:

The 'just charged enough' shield bash can permanently stunlock stormvermin until they're dead, including masses of them. I was stunlocking 5 at once during a nightmare White Rat at the door chain where they climb up from the three points in front of it, you just need to maneuver a little bit but it actually has a very good arc to it so actually much easier than you'd think if you have anything resembling a chokepoint. If you miss one of them with it and he starts rearing back to smash, quickly give him a Push (but don't wait too long as you can be hit while pushing once you're no longer blocking but before the push goes off, and stormvermin hurt) and they're all reset back to where they're taking a step forward at you once the push wears off and you start shield bashing again, some of them start dying and you maneuver to be more confident of hitting them all, etc. Works really well while the rest of the team is dealing with the surprise stormvermin and rat plague from behind.

For 100% clarity's sake as its actually the best part of using a shield, 'shield bash' does not mean push, it's the charged up left click attack. Most dwarves I play with just either hit rats with the axe or push and end up taking a lot of incidental damage from the downtime in between attacks, I've only just started playing Dwarf now as Kruber is always taken on Nightmare+ but nobody takes the Dwarf and the way I'm playing it is always shield bash all the time, except if you've missed one and he'd hit someone otherwise then give him a push. It ends up completely stunlocking all the rats forever basically and the rest of your crew cleans them up without taking damage except the elf shooting you in the back. Could be completely garbage advice as I've only come into already with an orange axe+shield and didn't spend the early levels with him learning how to play, but it works drat great at the moment so :shrug:

Metos fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 5, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

I cannot wait to see what expansions these guys are gonna create because the warhammer end times era gives them so much opportunity to have different groups of dudes fight in totally hosed situations against wildly different enemies in wildly different situations, and achieve victory against all odds only to get shat upon by the larger realities of the god drat world ending.

I think orcs and goblins would be pretty perfect

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Shield power hit sometimes doesn't stun. Push will always knock them back, though. I prefer the 2h hammer as an anti stormvermin tool for both stunning and killing rather quickly with it's regular swing.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I think orcs and goblins would be pretty perfect

Instead of a skaven horn sounding off, it's a guttural "WAAAGH!". Then you brace yourself for the green tide.

I could also imagine a gutter runner type enemy of either a coked up night goblin riding on the back of a pissed off spider, or an unusually sneaky ork git who disguised himself as a map prop.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Goblin fanatic would make Rogre look like a little fat baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Am I right in guessing that White Rat does not have tomes and grimoires? It seems too short for that.

Also: gently caress that mission.

• Locked thread