Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Parallax posted:

How does this even work, do they contact Valve to take the game off your purchases?

when i returned simcity to amazon for a refund they never had the courtesy to tell EA to remove it from my account so now im stuck with it.....

a cautionary tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
This game is bad, extremely not my poo poo. Fail.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, this game pretty much always worked on my PC, but now it's gonna fund my purchase of Fallout 4.

Same here. I enjoyed Knight, and we can just rebuy it in a year when its on holiday sale for $9.99 right? They aren't pulling it from Steam again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Didn't you make this argument a few months ago or something

Seems familiar

Probably!

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
My refund went through on steam. Just in time for the sale.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The funniest thing about all the tank combat to me was that all Arkham Knight needed to do to prevent Batman from blowing them all up was put soldiers inside them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This is the same guy who says he wants to kill Batman, then gets a point where he tackles him to the floor, shoots him in the gut, and has him completely defenseless because Batman doesn't try to fight back at all for some reason during this part.

And instead of capitalizing on it, he just walks off and goes "I'll kill you next time!" like Mr. Freeze at the beginning of Batman and Robin.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
If there isn't a single tank battle in the upcoming Season of Infamy DLC, then the single-player campaign with the new bosses might have a more appealing balance of melee combat and batmobile poo poo.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

I spent every second I possibly could not being in the Batmobile. I still spent way more time than I wanted to in the Batmobile.

Here's the thing - I would have been okay with one or two Batmobile boss fights. Trying something new is good, even if it doesn't work. But when almost every single boss fight in the game boils down to a Batmobile fight, then that's just garbage, just like it was garbage when nearly every fight in AA was the exact same Titan boss fight.

I like collectibles and I like the Riddler so the amount of puzzles didn't actually bother me. But I can understand people who are mad that the full ending is locked behind doing almost 250 little minigames, some of which are obnoxious.

I guess you just really did not like the batmobile, and that is too bad. :(

I don't disagree, I would have been happier to see more variation in the boss fights, just like I would have in Arkham Asylum. But when's the last time somebody went "Ugh, Arkham Asylum. All these Titan boss fights are the same, this game is such a pile of poo poo."? People take any problem with Knight and blow it up into a whole huge thing about how it shows how lovely the game is, etc. etc.

The 'full ending' really does not add a lot to the ending, and we live in the era of youtube if you need it but don't want to put in the work. It seems like exactly the kind of perfect fit for 100%ing the collect-a-thon section of the game. :shrug: I'd say the problem was that it got all hyped as "You don't get to see the FULL ENDING unless you do this, you're not getting the WHOLE STORY", but seriously, you are. It's just a cool cutscene that people get for unlocking 100%.

There is a lot of fun game in Arkham Knight, even completely ignoring the batmobile stuff and riddler stuff. Reading this thread most of the time, you would never know.

E: I mean, they took the previous batman games and bolted a bunch of new stuff on.* I'm just failing to see the problem. You're in it for the gameplay and punching dudes, which you get to do (outside of boss fights), or you're in it for more batman story, which you get, or you're in it for the graphics, which you maybe get, but if you do they're incredible. What's missing?
E2: Besides a functioning PC port :v:

*Yes, them not having challenge maps was a bullshit, bullshit move. They should not have done that.

surc fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 2, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I didn't get any kind of an ending until I collected all the crap for 100% and hauled Riddler in. The option to activate Knightfall just never appeared until then.

I would have saved myself a lot of time and headache if I just youtubed the ending.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, this game pretty much always worked on my PC, but now it's gonna fund my purchase of Fallout 4.

Well they loving showed me, the game won't even start anymore after the patch.

I was one of the (seemingly) few people this worked fine for at launch, and they managed to patch my game into not working :psyduck:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
These games were always fun as poo poo, I got this game with a video card months ago. I have no idea when I will actually get to play it.

The deathstroke fight in the last game was like having the final boss of the game at the middle. Nothing came close to that fight later on.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 2, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The shame of Arkham Knight is that the core Batman gameplay is as good as it has ever been but it's packaged with nothing but poo poo that drags the overall package down. Add the hilariously mishandled PC issues and people are not going to remember it fondly down the road.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I mostly enjoyed Arkham Knight when I was playing through it at launch (didn't even mind the batmobile stuff that much), but for some reason I've really soured on it in the past few months and I'm probably never going to play the game again.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Tenzarin posted:

These games were always fun as poo poo, I got this game with a video card months ago. I have no idea when I will actually get to play it.

The deathstroke fight in the last game was like having the final boss of the game at the end. Nothing came close to that fight later on.

If you loved that fight, you'll love the rematch in Knight!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Well they loving showed me, the game won't even start anymore after the patch.

I was one of the (seemingly) few people this worked fine for at launch, and they managed to patch my game into not working :psyduck:

Apparently anyone who's experiencing trouble after last week's patch needs to completely reinstall (yes you read that right, reinstall it) the game for the patches to kick in.

Genius, right?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, I mostly enjoyed Arkham Knight when I was playing through it at launch (didn't even mind the batmobile stuff that much), but for some reason I've really soured on it in the past few months and I'm probably never going to play the game again.

:laugh:
Your memories of playing the game are slowly being replaced by other people's complaints about the parts you enjoyed. Soon, you won't remember ever having enjoyed it.

This is how it happened. This is how favourable impressions of Arkham Knight died.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I quite liked about hauling in the Riddler after his boss was hearing him explain how you were 'supposed' to beat his boss in a way that he didn't consider cheating:

quote:

Batman: A fight I could not win? You weren't fighting fair Nigma

Edward: Look, if you couldn't hack into their electronics, reverse-engineer their operating systems then disable the multiplayer functionality while fighting them, that was no reason to go running for help!
He doesn't want intelligent opponents, he wants opponents that are intelligent in the same way as he is. He actually thinks that the above is a reasonable thing to expect people to be able to do. I like that he is actually so crazy that he has no notion of that the above average person can accomplish. I have a feeling that when he boasted about "A Child could solve this puzzle" in the previous games he may not have been posturing. He probably genuinely thinks that his simpler puzzles could be solved by a child. THis may be the craziest Nigma has ever been.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

surc posted:

:laugh:
Your memories of playing the game are slowly being replaced by other people's complaints about the parts you enjoyed. Soon, you won't remember ever having enjoyed it.

This is how it happened. This is how favourable impressions of Arkham Knight died.
That, or I'm now looking back on the game and realizing that even though I enjoyed a lot of the gameplay stuff well enough on my playthrough, there was a lot of crap that didn't quite make me give up but dragged the experience down enough that I don't want to bother replaying it. I don't think Arkham Knight is a terrible game or anything like that, but the next time I want to play a Batman game, this won't be the one I'm booting up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Doc Morbid posted:

That, or I'm now looking back on the game and realizing that even though I enjoyed a lot of the gameplay stuff well enough on my playthrough, there was a lot of crap that didn't quite make me give up but dragged the experience down enough that I don't want to bother replaying it. I don't think Arkham Knight is a terrible game or anything like that, but the next time I want to play a Batman game, this won't be the one I'm booting up.
I think overall the game took quite a few steps forward most places but some were really big stinkers considering there were 4 other games before it that taught lessons they plainly ignored.

On-foot Batman stuff was fine for the most part. New additions to combat, traversal were really welcomed. I don't think encounter design was up to snuff though. I didn't mind fighting a mosh pit of rioters but the Militia were often way too specialized during combat that you never really had fodder to bounce off of to combo. Add into the fact that there isn't proper challenge maps at launch meant that you couldn't even offset that by letting people just play around in combat; clearing the Militia off the map meant that you were removing them permanently from the game. Also add to the fact a lot of combat encounters took place in really confined spaces where the camera doesn't help you. Enemy design felt like a step back, or the "extra large" thugs were just not that interesting to fight beyond what you already knew, vs. say, martial artists in AO.

Predator stuff took some interesting steps like the two-face missions where you could go completely loud or using the hacking device more widely. I really hated the fear takedown stuff though, mostly because it was too easy to gain for a lot of effect and you could only lose it from using it. It also had the trouble of going up to 5x which meant you could clear maps in quick swoops, which both meant you needed to load up more enemies in a map and make it bigger, which meant maybe diluting some of the charm in some of the older maps. I mean in AC/AO you would at best maybe have predator maps with a dozen guards at most. Here a dozen is barely enough sometimes.

Batmobile was an interesting addition, because it was mostly fun to race around, use as a launching platform or for puzzle solving, but tank combat was really uninspiring considering the depth of combat/predator, and the amount you had to do it. Stealth tank sequences are finicky at best IMO. Interesting but it would've been better served if you could tackle those huge tanks either on foot somehow or by using the Batmobile to stealth kill them.

Two things I really want: combat challenge maps like the 4-wave ones from the previous games, and maybe some way to reset the militia towers/checkpoints on the map, cause those at least were half-way decent substitutes for a lot of the combat/predator challenges (whereas Batmobile challenges already mimick mines/tank hunting/apc chasing/racing). Or even like campaign challenges but they take place on a single island and you have to clear say 5 randomly placed checkpoints/watchtowers as fast as you can. You get the freedom of the open world to bail out if you need to or tackle it from different angles.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BioEnchanted posted:

He doesn't want intelligent opponents, he wants opponents that are intelligent in the same way as he is. He actually thinks that the above is a reasonable thing to expect people to be able to do. I like that he is actually so crazy that he has no notion of that the above average person can accomplish. I have a feeling that when he boasted about "A Child could solve this puzzle" in the previous games he may not have been posturing. He probably genuinely thinks that his simpler puzzles could be solved by a child. THis may be the craziest Nigma has ever been.

If that's true, then Arkham Riddler has the very odd position of thinking very lowly of everyone while also thinking very highly of everyone.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

As one of the blessed few who's had a relatively smooth PC experience, I've been having a lot of fun with this game in the last few weeks, but not at all in the way I'm supposed to. I did another playthrough of the game getting all the tedious stuff out of the way and not touching any of the fun side-missions, and now I have save files I can keep restoring to keep taking down the militia posts and rescuing firemen and never have to deal with tanks or racetracks or any of the crap. I also copied out other save files along the way so I can go back and replay things like the Harley encounter or the Arkham Knight HQ without the interim, and it's made me realize what this game really could have benefited from is some kind of chapter-select system. I'm not sure how they could have made it work with the side-missions, but the key Arkham elements are still here and still good, they're just so spaced out between way too repetitive tanking. Being able to go back right to the fun encounters really increases the replay value. The finally-available challenge maps help, but they're just not as varied or lengthy as the in-game encounters.

Also the free roam character "mod" (really just an INI file that maps some keys to swap between existing character models) really adds a lot of missing variety, even if some of the other characters are kind of buggy. The DLC release has also kind of fixed the gimped versions of some of the other characters that were in the game at launch, Nightwing actually has a grappling gun now, and Catwoman can take down the big guys if you cheese them with your caltrops. I'd recommend anyone playing it on the PC try it out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

surc posted:

E: I mean, they took the previous batman games and bolted a bunch of new stuff on.* I'm just failing to see the problem. You're in it for the gameplay and punching dudes, which you get to do (outside of boss fights), or you're in it for more batman story, which you get, or you're in it for the graphics, which you maybe get, but if you do they're incredible. What's missing?
They took stuff I liked and spread it out by including stuff I didn't like. There's a good game in there, it's just diluted down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

surc posted:

More content is not inherently better if you dislike that content. If you like the Predator mode and the Combat mode but not the Batmobile stuff it means there is a large block of dull gameplay between the modes you like.

To use another example "They took the previous Sonic games and bolted a bunch of new stuff on. I'm failing to see the problem."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Your Mileage May Pretty Goddamn Vary, but changing the V-sync settings in-game to Adaptive made a pretty impressive change in how smooth the game played on my end. I honestly didn't even realize that was a newer option until I was reading up on the Steam forums.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

ImpAtom posted:

To use another example "They took the previous Sonic games and bolted a bunch of new stuff on. I'm failing to see the problem."

This is a pretty good analogy honestly. The core elements we all love are still there, but some of the new stuff just distracts from it so much that it becomes not fun.

Now we need a Red Hood game analogous to Shadow the Hedgehog in terms of EDGINESS. Hell, Shadow even had pistols.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kinda doesn't help that alot of content is catered to the DLC which has been either short or race tracks. I mean I was pretty excited to see the Batman 89 costume and the Batmoblie, only for it to be just race tracks and the skin itself. The skin itself is awesome. The disappointment is the goddamn batmoblie is only useable for race tracks and can't be used in story mode. Something along the lines of the batmoblie isn't suited for advanced combat. I really hope that last dlc with the villeins won't be batmoblie fights.

Goddamn still bitter about Deathstroke. All this build up and you just punch him off.

Bullshit. :colbert:

edit: The funny part, I hate Jason Todd, but I thought the AK stuff was pretty neat. He felt different enough not to be a reskin.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 4, 2015

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Shindragon posted:

Goddamn still bitter about Deathstroke. All this build up and you just punch him off.

I can definitely understand this point of view, but personally I loved it. It felt like a Mass Effect renegade interrupt.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Shindragon posted:

The disappointment is the goddamn batmoblie is only useable for race tracks and can't be used in story mode. Something along the lines of the batmoblie isn't suited for advanced combat.

You can use the alternate bat mobiles in the open world once you destroy all of the drones in the city, they just don't want you stuck in a car with no battle mode while those things wail on you.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
As I understood it, unlike the various skins for the vanilla car, the new Batmobiles, are new vehicles outside of lacking a battle mode right? Different handling, speeds, acceleration and the like?

Also it seems both the 'new' Harley and Red Hood skins are being released, rather than one or the other. Which to me, somewhat felt that should have just happened anyway, but I guess they got a bunch of tweets or whatever out it so goody for their attempts at PR.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shindragon posted:

Kinda doesn't help that alot of content is catered to the DLC which has been either short or race tracks. I mean I was pretty excited to see the Batman 89 costume and the Batmoblie, only for it to be just race tracks and the skin itself. The skin itself is awesome. The disappointment is the goddamn batmoblie is only useable for race tracks and can't be used in story mode. Something along the lines of the batmoblie isn't suited for advanced combat. I really hope that last dlc with the villeins won't be batmoblie fights.

Bullshit. :colbert:

edit: The funny part, I hate Jason Todd, but I thought the AK stuff was pretty neat. He felt different enough not to be a reskin.

Yeah, but they could have easily avoided a stupid mystery of one suspect if they never even bothered to advertise it outside of a New Adversary or actually presented more people it could have been. Arkham Knight, outside of that and Jason being particularly stupid in this story, is a decent enemy design and idea.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paused posted:

As I understood it, unlike the various skins for the vanilla car, the new Batmobiles, are new vehicles outside of lacking a battle mode right? Different handling, speeds, acceleration and the like?

Also it seems both the 'new' Harley and Red Hood skins are being released, rather than one or the other. Which to me, somewhat felt that should have just happened anyway, but I guess they got a bunch of tweets or whatever out it so goody for their attempts at PR.

yep. you cant use them if there are tanks still on any of the islands.

l33t b4c0n posted:

This is a pretty good analogy honestly. The core elements we all love are still there, but some of the new stuff just distracts from it so much that it becomes not fun.

Now we need a Red Hood game analogous to Shadow the Hedgehog in terms of EDGINESS. Hell, Shadow even had pistols.

at the core the arkham games were always very metroidvania esc games. much like the new tomb raider, or (obiviously) metroid. they were openish linear adventures. Now it feels like an eh open world game that feels weirdly empty. the linear sections feel kinda of crappy outside a few moments (beginning, blimps) and the car is a massive mixed bag.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, but they could have easily avoided a stupid mystery of one suspect if they never even bothered to advertise it outside of a New Adversary or actually presented more people it could have been. Arkham Knight, outside of that and Jason being particularly stupid in this story, is a decent enemy design and idea.

Jason feels out of place in the Arkham series because there's no room for backstory of his character. If you follow the comics, then you get to know that the role of Robin has been filled by multiple people, at least one of whom met a tragic end. But in the context of just the games, Robin is only introduced in City, and then in Arkham Knight they cram in, "There have been multiple Robins and also one was killed by the Joker but not really." It's a complex backstory that should have some sort of emotional impact, but it's boiled down to a few brief flashbacks in the Panessa Studios segment. It feels like them trying to say, "See this villain TOTALLY has a rich backstory." It's the problem of telling the audience (or player) he should care but not really showing enough to actually make the player care.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

at the core the arkham games were always very metroidvania esc games. much like the new tomb raider, or (obiviously) metroid. they were openish linear adventures. Now it feels like an eh open world game that feels weirdly empty. the linear sections feel kinda of crappy outside a few moments (beginning, blimps) and the car is a massive mixed bag.

I think the problem of it being too open actually comes across in the predator segments. In the previous games, predator sequences took place in rather restricted environments, and part of the whole fun was picking off enemies one by one and watching them begin to realize locking you in the same room with them was the WORST thing they could do. In Arkham Knight, the rooms are replaced by open building tops with an over-abundance of space. Even closed spaces like the clock tower feel like the same number of enemies in a City predator sequence spread over three or four times the area, making it way too easy to pick off individuals even if you make a point to avoid using Fear and try to make it more challenging.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Welp, finished all the DLC to date. Guess all that's left would be the Catwoman vs. Riddler one, TAS Harley and Arkham Knight playable models in challenges and probably some community challenge DLC pack with 4-wave combat maps and some other stuff. Have they said anything about Season of Infamy stuff (more villains) or was that basically just Nightwing/Catwoman mini-campaigns that they're doing?

Also this is on PC so I'm probably just gonna refund it. It runs crappy. It's bearable for me but I'd rather have my money back from people who can't even make sure people who have way better PCs than me actually have worse performance.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I remember reading here that Season of Infamy villains are each going to have their own Most Wanted quests, like the ones in game already. This sounds nice, but remember that they also called the Red Hood, Harley, and Nightwing content "story packs". Hope for decent missions, expect to knock them down as quickly as Two-Face's whole chain.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

They said 6 months of DLC, there doesn't seem to be anything down the pipeline past the end of the year except maybe that community DLC pack they said they would release in January early to PC owners.

Seems like if you want to keep going they better say something.

By the way, if you add all the available DLC up, it's like 31 or so bucks. The season pass is 40 bucks.

So yeah.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sober posted:

By the way, if you add all the available DLC up, it's like 31 or so bucks. The season pass is 40 bucks.

So yeah.

It that's true then lol

They have hosed it up almost every way possible. At least it ran well on PS4 i guess.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Have they announced all of the DLC yet? I thought there'd be one more month of poo poo.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm trying to get my money back for this on Steam. Its easy enough to request for the main title, and I have the order for the $60 to be returned to my steam wallet. I did buy the season pass, and want my money back for that too. When I got to purchase history, and request refund for the season pass, it just points to the main product. What am I doing wrong? Is there a listing for support I can call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
You can just go through the main support site and file a ticket for a purchase, that's how I got the season pass refunded.

• Locked thread