Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

3 days. The old map with the forgotten hyperspace shortcuts. And Kitalpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
psionic amplifier

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
psionic amplifier

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Update:

We're going for 2 days of refuelling, snagging the psionic amplifier and heading for Kitalpha.

In that two days we took a hit to the hull and a burst of radiation. Usually hull hits from things other than starship weapons don't cause critical hits, but the text specifies otherwise. We score a console explosion which hits Hugh Mann, injuring him and putting him out of action for a few days. Since we're about to go into the jump, who cares. We can spend 10 ENERGY to bring him back up to full health and get rid of the 1 EXPERTISE penalty for being hurt if y'all want. Bear in mind he's not a Caiman so he can only get hurt twice before he dies (the Caiman racial bulk bonus makes the crew much less vulnerable to ship accidents than other races are)

We also roll on the radiation chart and get a radiation leak that affects a random officer. It gets the captain! He gets hit with a mutation, and since he's a Caiman he gets two of them. Luckily for us, he doesn't get any of the nasty mutations (genetic decay, blindness, brain damage, etc) but instead grows an extra arm and the ability to spit his teeth as a ranged attack! He gets +1 FISTS (up to 4 now) and +1 in ranged combat, bringing him to 9 there in total.

Our energy goes up to 152 but the Captain only gains 10 ENERGY from the break, not 20 since Spudfinder's main function as an AI is to pipe New Wave music through the speakers at all times.

Here's what we picked up out of the wreckage:

Might be handy. I should remind you this thing will only work once for reasons those of you who read the book before will recall, so save it until you really need it. It also doesn't always do anything. Now that's done we turn to 173:

Anyway on to Kitalpha at last (150). We used the JO crystal in this jump which causes us to take another radiation check. This time we take 1 HULL damage, bringing us to 8 HULL. We are able to complete this 14-day trip in 5 days though, so probably worth it.
I rolled for Hugh Mann - he's drunk againt so gets -2 comms EXPERTISE, which is annoying.

What should we do?

Here's the starship manifest:

And the map:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 5, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"Arga blarg blarg?"

Pull into the Fuel & Gruel Snack on some chicken-fried steak drowned in gravy with biscuits and collard greens and flirt with some delectably chubby waitresses :3

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Coerce them into giving us all their poo poo. Then leave them as a cloud of slowly expanding gas and debris.

I changed my mind. This seems like the kind of place to find space hookers. With space STDs. Judging from the bits of text we saw from other threads, that can only lead to good things. Go down there and get laid. Also gamble.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 5, 2015

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Heal Hugh, Get to the station.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Get some space-truckin drugs.

Also see if they repair AIs.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
This is Hugh Mann's natural element: A sleazy space-trucker stop. Whatever we do, bring him along.

Just don't use the public restroom.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Heal Hugh, goto the rest stop

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Hugh got healed during the jump, should be good to go there. We just can't let him take another or he dies. Go to the truck stop and barter Bijou eye gems for fuel, booze, and hookers.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Raptor1033 posted:

Hugh got healed during the jump, should be good to go there. We just can't let him take another or he dies. Go to the truck stop and barter Bijou eye gems for fuel, booze, and hookers.

I probably didn't explain this all that well at the time but when you a character gets injured they're out of action for a set number of days (because they're in the medbay). After that time they return to duty but still have an injury and -1 EXPERTISE. After the recovery period you can spend 10 ENERGY to recover a wound and remove the damage.

Hugh is back on his feet but he's still not fully recovered, 10 ENERGY will fix that.

Didn't read your post correctly, yeah he's still good to go as long as he doesn't get hit again.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 5, 2015

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

By the way can we get a human/catte bestiary entries as well as the mutations table?
Kinda missed both of those, would be nice to know more.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
A night on the town with Hugh seems like the soundest move at this point. If there is time, give the corpse of Donald Plover a full military funeral in the dankest restroom toilet - procession, honour guard, the works. The resulting confusion may be enough for us to skive off without paying for fuel.

Ponderous Saxon fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DmitriX posted:

By the way can we get a human/catte bestiary entries as well as the mutations table?

Yeah I'll try to get those scanned in this weekend (time permitting).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Raptor1033 posted:

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Seconding the space blackjack and the space hookers.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

TheHomerTax posted:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Raptor1033 posted:

Go to the truck stop and barter Bijou eye gems for fuel, booze, and hookers.

Probably not as good as Caimen stuff but we'll take it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TheHomerTax posted:

man if only Five Aces were still with us he could have won us some money.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Can you be sure he isn't? Pretty sure he just fell off a cliff that's all.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Heal Hugh, Get to the station.

Raptor1033 posted:

Go to the truck stop and barter Bijou eye gems for fuel, booze, and hookers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We have to order the special when we get there.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mmmmm those xenomorphic parasites are so cruncy.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Applewhite posted:

Pull into the Fuel & Gruel Snack on some chicken-fried steak drowned in gravy with biscuits and collard greens and flirt with some delectably chubby waitresses :3

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applewhite posted:

At least Hugh Mann can win us a ship with a neurotic cartoon character AI.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

At least Hugh Mann can win us a ship with a neurotic cartoon character AI.

Croctana

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cortomistoma

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The Supergalactic is by far the best ship in the galaxy, even without an AI. Whereas all the other ships need people with actual abilities and skills to control them, the Supergalactic is simple enough for a drunk crocodile to pilot. Don't be seduced by big titty holograms on the other ships, they're just marketing tools designed to steal your personal information, serve you advertising and trick you into using worthless search engines.

DmitriX posted:

Here's the Catte one:

Human one will be a little later, I'll have it ready for when we encounter them (which we probably should soon at the rate we're going). Mutation and panic jump tables are on the same page so I'll try to have those scanned in the next day or two since both of those things might be relevant.

Update
Yesterday's page

We're going in.
Most of you naturally want truckstop hookers and blackjack but there's a small detail that we need to deal with first (198)

The detail: we're broke.
Turning to 278:

We can offload some of our items (or hull) in return for goods and services. Since the thread wants to avail itself of truckstop services we'll need to buy at least one unit of Walkin' Round Money.

Here's all our stuff:

I confirmed with the 2FF forums that it's fine to mix ballast and hull points, so we could sell 1 HULL and the gems to get 1 ton of megasterling. I got a week's probation for asking which is pretty lenient by that board's standards.

Anyway how do we want to approach this? Sell some stuff and go in, brawl our way in, or leave quietly without making a fuss?

If we want to use the shipyard's services, what do we want to sell and what should we buy?

It's day 39 so spending any whole days here is very risky. We can get away if we jump on day 40, but it will involve a panic jump. Still, maybe we want to encounter the Threshers here?

Here's the manifest. No changes since last time. Next update: gambling and hookers (probably)

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 6, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Sell the Haldian Slaves and the Bijou eye gems.

Spend the megasterling on hookers and whatever the other players want.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also what happens if FACTS and the crew are acting irrationally at the same time?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Applewhite posted:

Also what happens if FACTS and the crew are acting irrationally at the same time?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Masks_%28episode%29 probably

Those gems aren't worth anything on their own, you'd need to trade in a point of HULL as well to get the cash for them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gilganixon posted:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Masks_%28episode%29 probably

Those gems aren't worth anything on their own, you'd need to trade in a point of HULL as well to get the cash for them.

booo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm willing to go with anyone's halfway intelligent vote, but we should sell of the Haldian slaves at least, they're kinda crap and taking up space.

Oh, when we get a moment of privacy radio back to our valet and tell him use the psionic amplifier to turn to page 329 and glean the override codes so we can loot the station's treasury.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 6, 2015

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sell gems and Haldian slaves, acquire hookers and blow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Sell the Haldian Slaves and the Bijou eye gems.

Spend the megasterling on hookers and whatever the other players want.

Seconding this.

Edit: or a chunk or two of our ship. What's a little hull in the face of space strange and games of chance!

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 6, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sell 1 HULL and the Gems, the Haldian Slaves and the Cultural Tchoke.

Spend on hookers and gambling.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Are hookers an aquirable item card? Like, can we just kidnap some hookers and keep them on the ship?
Because we should.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure there is a scanning glitch in there on page 198- i think our officers are supposed to be composing themselves, not composting themselves(which would imply the loss of the entire bridge crew).

Otherwise no, not interested in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Applewhite posted:

Are hookers an aquirable item card? Like, can we just kidnap some hookers and keep them on the ship?
Because we should.

don't acquire hookers, applewhite

The Supergalactic has its own breeding pit anyway

• Locked thread