Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

I assume he's landing?

He's also not a Globemaster :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

emirates a380

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

iyaayas01 posted:

As you can see from this video even a base that doesn't actually operate fighters (Mildenhall) has a barrier system installed because of the high possibility that fighters from a nearby base (in this case, Lakenheath) might have to divert in.

How do the land-based arrestor systems work? Obviously they don't have the massive underfloor hydraulic sheaves like the ones on carriers. I'm guessing it works more like a highway guardrail, with the cable attached to lines of anchors on either side, and breaking it free of each anchor in turn provides the resistance?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's some info on non-naval tailhooks here: http://flyingwithfish.boardingarea.com/2012/12/26/reader-mail-why-do-air-force-jets-have-tailhooks/

And there's a video showing such a system being tested on an F-16 here: http://theaviationist.com/2013/07/02/f-16-using-the-tailhook/

No breaking anchors, the aircraft is merely slowed down by pulling on the cable. It replaces or supplements brakes after all, and it's not there to decelerate the plane brutally like on a carrier.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Here's a sales video on land based arrestors that goes into some history, development and operating principles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

I love it when the HC-130's I work on land too early and run the nose gear over the arresting cable. It snaps back up and destroys belly antennas in spectacular fashion.

Don't worry, at least the HC generally doesn't land on dirt runways.

Then you come back with no antennas.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The more things change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaMp5SibXRk

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Nobody saw this in the 80-whatever years of Amelia Earhart research, until this documentary?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, it's a bomb. The UK is sure enough that they're banning flights between Britain and Sharm el Sheikh, where the downed flight originated, out of precaution.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, it's a bomb.
Ok the British Prime Minister's Office says they are concerned that there may have been a bomb. The UK is sure enough that they're banning flights between Britain and Sharm el Sheikh, where the downed flight originated, out of precaution.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fair enough.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The big problem with the bomb theory is that it is based on the word of Russia and Egyptian agencies. Neither of which are known for what I'm going to call vigorous fidelity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vessbot posted:

Nobody saw this in the 80-whatever years of Amelia Earhart research, until this documentary?

Most of the research slacked off after the first couple of years. But that weird group that thinks they've got it all figured out actually have a pretty convincing case, including this antenna argument.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
'Solar storm' grounds Swedish air traffic

The solar storm caused problems for civilian radar systems and ATC was unable to see the planes on their radars.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also Antonov 12bk has gone down in South Sudan. Maybe everyone dead.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/11/04/dozens-reported-dead-as-plane-crashes-in-south-sudan.html

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope not even in a flight sim thank you very much

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

MrLonghair posted:

18 inch* wingtip-to-canopy separation
*+/- 17.5 inches

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Spaced God posted:

*+/- 17.5 inches

"IIIIIIIIIIII'M NOOOOOOOOOOOOT TOOOOOOOOUCHINGGGGGG YOOOOOOOOUUUUU" :angel:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Spaced God posted:

*+/- 17.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 inches

fixt

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrLonghair posted:

Is that intentional? Couldn't a small gust destroy them?

That looks like the 520 bridge in Seattle.

edit: Or maybe the San Mateo bridge?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 5, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CharlesM posted:

Well, one factor working to their advantage is that they're so close, if one of them hits a gust, everyone else hits the same gust and gets jostled the same way.

Still a giant bucket of nopes to me.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrLonghair posted:

Please tell me there's a video to go along with this...? :ohdear:

CharlesM posted:

Yeah I'm getting a San Mateo bridge vibe from that as that bridge is missing the small cantilevers on either end that the 520 have.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

CharlesM posted:

They trade paint occasionally. While the speeds involved are large, the relative velocities and vectors are pretty small. They intend an 18" separation, sometimes it is 22, sometimes it is -1. Most of the accidents are multi-engine failure, controlled flight into the ground, or during a merge, rather than bungling in formation.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Duke Chin posted:

Please tell me there's a video to go along with this...? :ohdear:

Yeah I'm getting a San Mateo bridge vibe from that as that bridge is missing the small cantilevers on either end that the 520 have.

https://www.facebook.com/chasefield/videos/10153106299982687/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jonny Nox posted:

The big problem with the bomb theory is that it is based on the word of Russia and Egyptian agencies. Neither of which are known for what I'm going to call vigorous fidelity.

US is now saying they have intelligence that suggests it's a bomb as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/middleeast/russian-plane-crash-airport-security/index.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BonoMan posted:

US is now saying they have intelligence that suggests it's a bomb as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/middleeast/russian-plane-crash-airport-security/index.html

Why on earth should I believe anything attributed to the US intelligence community? Iraq WMD, NSA domestic collection, etc

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

What would the radar signature of that formation be compared to that of a single Hornet?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Suicide Watch posted:

What would the radar signature of that formation be compared to that of a single Hornet?

Depends.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Confusing and angering to ATC if they're all squawking, I can tell you that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Suicide Watch posted:

All known radar systems show it as a huge, throbbing penis.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bob A Feet posted:

Confusing and angering to ATC if they're all squawking, I can tell you that.

Confusing and angering to half-decent mil radars if they aren't all squawking.

Mode V gonna be so great when it's fully fielded.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Suicide Watch posted:

On our ASR-11 (A "modern" terminal radar antenna) it'd look like one target. They're digitized so it'd be the same size as a Cessna.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Welp definitely not the San Mateo Bridge! :science:

Also: that loving owns and I would strongly consider actually shanking someone to get that backseat media ride. :ese:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

All known radar systems show it as a huge, throbbing penis.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 5, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Midjack posted:

Why on earth should I believe anything attributed to the US intelligence community? Iraq WMD, NSA domestic collection, etc

Because the actual intel communities were successful in both of those examples. What you saw on Fox News circa 2003 wasn't exactly the actual reports from the analysts, you know.

Edit: There's not a radar on the planet bigger than a fighter nosecone that could break out a formation like that. Radar doesn't work that way.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Edit: There's not a radar on the planet bigger than a fighter nosecone that could break out a formation like that. Radar doesn't work that way.

False but obviously it'd be real hard to discuss in depth out here.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If this isn’t aeronautical insanity I don’t know what is.

https://youtu.be/_VPvKl6ezyc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

Because the actual intel communities were successful in both of those examples. What you saw on Fox News circa 2003 wasn't exactly the actual reports from the analysts, you know.

I do know, which is why I said "attributed to the IC" rather than simply "gently caress the CIA." Also note the posted link is a "OUR SPIES SAY HURR" statement so who knows what actually came out of some reports shop.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

bobfather posted:

If this isn’t aeronautical insanity I don’t know what is.

https://youtu.be/_VPvKl6ezyc

Trailer for Executive Decision 2

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Midjack posted:

I do know, which is why I said "attributed to the IC" rather than simply "gently caress the CIA." Also note the posted link is a "OUR SPIES SAY HURR" statement so who knows what actually came out of some reports shop.

:nattyburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

False but obviously it'd be real hard to discuss in depth out here.

Thats an easy one though that any EE should be able to answer. Big antenna, long wavelength, low resolution, long range. Small antenna, short wavelength, high resolution, short range.

The "big radar" you're talking about is an array of tiny antennas which through the magic of 70 years of defense contracting can do both at the same time.