Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you can afford to build a canal you don't even need the tollbooth money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Eej posted:

If you can afford to build a canal you don't even need the tollbooth money, though.

Sorry that some of us have an eye towards the future revenue of our states :shillary:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it would be nice to get some return on that massive investment.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm still of the opinion that building the Panama canal in the EUIV time period is slightly less historically plausible then the Norse Mega-Basileus invading the Dominion of the Zunbil Cyberemperor but...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

My entire strategic plan in EU4 is usually towards building a nation that can succeed in Vicky-2. And my goal in Vicky-2 is to build a nation that will do well in HoI. And my goal in HoI is to emerge as a fair arbiter of post-colonial internationalism.

You may feel the need to call me a hero, but I am just a simple man my friends :)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I sort of appreciate playing a naval power, because it makes the game into much more of a logistics simulator where you're setting up little timetables in your head all the time. I wish it were easier to keep track of when poo poo got to a destination though.

Oh man, like if armies and fleets had destinations and ETAs on the right hand infobar

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

My entire strategic plan in EU4 is usually towards building a nation that can succeed in Vicky-2. And my goal in Vicky-2 is to build a nation that will do well in HoI. And my goal in HoI is to emerge as a fair arbiter of post-colonial internationalism.

You may feel the need to call me a hero, but I am just a simple man my friends :)

The only way to do this is to be the only country left when Vicky 2 starts. No great wars, no crisis's and no colonial wars. Just peace.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cynic Jester posted:

The only way to do this is to be the only country left when Vicky 2 starts. No great wars, no crisis's and no colonial wars. Just peace.

Ive never played Vicky, but you can play a CK2 game from the earlier start and will surely have an empire with at least half of the map by the end date, which you can export to EU4.

Then it will be trivially easy to conquer the rest of the world in EU4 and by the time you get to the V2 time your empire will be 100% of the world. You cant lose with that., I guess.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
A new dev diary is up! Long live permanent claims!

e: huh, apparently I've been blessed with a new avatar, too. I remember you, BonziBuddy! That's because I'm old as poo poo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh well agitate for liberty seems considerably shitter than I had hoped. Study technology might well make the group worthwhile on its own though, at least for non-western teams. I hope your spies can't get kicked out from doing it like they can with most espionage actions though, just getting a few months worth of monarch points at a time before having to wait for a huge cool down sounds pretty annoying.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Permanent claims, whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Dibujante posted:

huh, apparently I've been blessed with a new avatar, too. I remember you, BonziBuddy! That's because I'm old as poo poo.

:ssh: it's the new stupid newbie

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

MorphineMike posted:

:ssh: it's the new stupid newbie

Like I'm going to let some stupid newbie explain it to me :argh:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Splitting the spoils of war is coming back. I like that.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Finally, a reason to not accept a call to war and only sit in my own country waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Espionage seems better but kinda unfocused to me. Also next expansion can we get a better display of the terms of a peace deal on the event? I mean

is kinda annoying to read

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Yeah that's a blob, needs breaking up into paragraphs. Also province changes (and puppet status) is the most important thing about that peace so maybe Dauphine should be in BOLDED RED or something

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Bullets are really simple to put in there. Another weird EU3 holdover

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Yeah that's a blob, needs breaking up into paragraphs. Also province changes (and puppet status) is the most important thing about that peace so maybe Dauphine should be in BOLDED RED or something

Please don't make even more words bolded red, red on black is hard to read for colourblind people like me and it's already difficult to tell how much aggressive expansion and inflation is happening, let alone making province changes like that as well.

Bullets or line breaks would be a very good addition though.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Please don't make even more words bolded red, red on black is hard to read for colourblind people like me and it's already difficult to tell how much aggressive expansion and inflation is happening, let alone making province changes like that as well.

Bullets or line breaks would be a very good addition though.

Maybe there should be a colourblind mode, Pillars of Eternity has one of those

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

https://gamesrepublic.com/catalog.html - Sale on EU4 DLC. Is this site legit?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Maybe there should be a colourblind mode, Pillars of Eternity has one of those

PoE's colourblind mode owns and I wish more games would do that. I don't know how or why red/green became the default gaming industry colours for good/bad because it's literally one of the worst options you could pick.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Analogies to stoplights, likely.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

quote:

The fort rework in 1.12 added a much more strategic element to warfare, but with it came some complicated rules and confusion over what exactly forts were and were not allowed to block. To simplify the system and make it more intuitive, we've decided to make the following changes:
- Forts that have been captured by the enemy will now have a Zone of Control and block movement for enemies of controller.
- Forts now have Zone of Control over any country's provinces (but can only flip control back over your own owned provinces) meaning they can block enemy movement through friendly & neutral land. Movement through a country's own provinces cannot be blocked if a fort from that country is protecting those provinces.
- Provinces can now be in the Zone of Control of multiple forts.
- Moving through Zones of Control should now result in fewer unnecessarily long paths.

Thank you thank you thank you

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thank you thank you thank you

Finally something to reduce the annoying AI "lol I'm gonna spam a ton of single regiments past your captured forts and reoccupy all my provinces this will surely win me the war :shepface:"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I wonder how provinces having multiple fort zones of control will work. If a province is in the ZoC of three different forts, does that mean an army in that province can move to any of those three forts? Or do they get stuck there because moving to any of the fort provinces would violate the ZoC of the other two forts? Can forts exert ZoC on another fort province if they are directly adjacent to each other, so even after capturing one fort you still have to capture the one beside it in order to move any farther inland?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pellisworth posted:

Finally something to reduce the annoying AI "lol I'm gonna spam a ton of single regiments past your captured forts and reoccupy all my provinces this will surely win me the war :shepface:"

And then co-belligerents "helpfully" reoccupy those provinces and mess up your peace deal.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I wonder how provinces having multiple fort zones of control will work. If a province is in the ZoC of three different forts, does that mean an army in that province can move to any of those three forts? Or do they get stuck there because moving to any of the fort provinces would violate the ZoC of the other two forts? Can forts exert ZoC on another fort province if they are directly adjacent to each other, so even after capturing one fort you still have to capture the one beside it in order to move any farther inland?

I hope it means some flexibility when sieging -- you shouldn't be able to move your stacks arbitrarily but I always find that recombining my siege stacks requires some arbitrary weird move around hostile and neutral territory, if you can get them back together at all before the enemy doomstack arrives!! :argh: Not that I am bitter.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

vyelkin posted:

The former and yes would be the intuitive way for it to work, certainly. I remember back when the fort changes were made people were constantly getting confused by the "only one zone per province" rule because virtually everybody assumed it would work that way.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 5, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

vyelkin posted:

I don't know how or why red/green became the default gaming industry colours for good/bad because it's literally one of the worst options you could pick.

Probably because of stoplight colors for stop/go. If you aren't colorblind it's super duper unmistakingly different, and red is a danger/warning color because of blood. :shobon:

Games adding colorblind modes is great and cool and more games should have them, but green/red is good and iconic and drilled into nearly everyone for reasons way beyond gaming.

EDIT: :haw:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 5, 2015

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a thread for Stellaris yet?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No, we just talk about it in the general Paradox thread since information is still pretty thin.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Probably because of stoplight colors for stop/go. If you aren't colorblind it's super duper unmistakingly different, and red is a danger/warning color because of blood. :shobon:

Games adding colorblind modes is great and cool and more games should have them, but green/red is good and iconic and drilled into nearly everyone for reasons way beyond gaming.

EDIT: :haw:

I can see some of those letters and that is mean. Colour-blind modes are great and I love them.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Well that took a lot less than I thought it would. My leaders dropped dead mid-integration of Norway and I just inherited the whole shebang.

Sadly I can't form Scandinavia without leaving the HRE, so I guess everyone's going to have to get used to being Danish. I'm sure Jonah and Podcat will punch through some drywall at that idea :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Well that took a lot less than I thought it would. My leaders dropped dead mid-integration of Norway and I just inherited the whole shebang.

Sadly I can't form Scandinavia without leaving the HRE, so I guess everyone's going to have to get used to being Danish. I'm sure Jonah and Podcat will punch through some drywall at that idea :)

You can still be re-elected emperor if the electorate like you enough despite not being in the HRE. OTOH you don't actually gain anything from forming Scandinavia so your mileage may vary.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 5, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

forming Scandinavia is not gonna do much for you, just stay in the HRE. If you get elected Emperor you can form Scandinavia and re-add yourself.

now grab Exploration and colonize, you're in a great position to do so

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

double nine posted:

You can still be re-elected emperor if the electorate like you enough despite not being in the HRE. OTOH you don't actually gain anything from forming Scandinavia so your mileage may vary.

If you expand enough into Germany/Poland you will almost certainly lose Norwegian and maybe even Swedish as accepted cultures, also the decision to form a nation gives you a boost to autonomy reduction for years.

The easiest way to form Kingdom/Empires while staying in the HRE without starting as an Elector is just to become Emperor, form the Nation, and then re-add your capital to the Empire. I'm pretty sure you lose Imperial Authority when all those provinces leave the empire so you may want to wait until after you pass a reform.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I swear everytime I start an ironman game the RNG screws me over. I tried a france start, allied castile and Austria, grab some provinces from provence, and one from england. Meanwhile aragon smacks the gently caress out of castile, so much that they won't join me against burgundy, and Austria sends over a 36k doomstack that gets obliterated by loving flanders, then mega aragon joins on burgundy side.

gently caress europe, I 'm restarting as the Ottomans and burning it all down.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tsyni posted:

I can see some of those letters and that is mean. Colour-blind modes are great and I love them.

I'm completely in favour of more games having color blind modes.

I still think that picture is hilarious though. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pellisworth posted:

forming Scandinavia is not gonna do much for you, just stay in the HRE. If you get elected Emperor you can form Scandinavia and re-add yourself.

now grab Exploration and colonize, you're in a great position to do so

Forming Scandinavia is always bad, since all the cool events are based on tag. I don't know how bad that is as Denmark, but as Sweden you lose out on a bunch of great events and some really neat permanent modifiers.

• Locked thread