Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

This is my KC moment:

I can't see this and not see the ruined panels where Superman freaks out because Billy licked his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fuego Fish posted:

You know, I love how they wrote this big, convoluted storyline in order to retcon away Peter and MJ's marriage so that Spider-Man would be "more relateable to the reader" and then within ten years of that, he's the head of a multinational corporation.

Part of Peter having his own company is that it's way past the norm for him. Mid twenties millionaire inventer is kind of a thing these days. It's a good power fantasy to couple with being a costumed adventurer. Peter is still relatable because he doesn't act like a corporate suit, he's still a goofy nerd with a good heart.

It's not exactly that Peter is always broke that makes the character relatable, but that he's constantly on the verge of losing everything. Eventually Parker Industries will be destroyed by the Green Goblin, or bought out by Puma (remember him?). This multinational house of cards is making the current volume of Amazing Spider-Man a must read for life long reader who only ever broke from his collection because Slott took over.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Killing Joker to stop him from killing someone else or enacting some kinda evil plan is what law enforcement would do, but murdering a guy in handcuffs is another beast altogether.

I mean, it's not like the Joker is black or anything. He's the whitest dude ever. There will never be an "accidental" shooting of that man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

Part of Peter having his own company is that it's way past the norm for him. Mid twenties millionaire inventer is kind of a thing these days. It's a good power fantasy to couple with being a costumed adventurer. Peter is still relatable because he doesn't act like a corporate suit, he's still a goofy nerd with a good heart.

It's not exactly that Peter is always broke that makes the character relatable, but that he's constantly on the verge of losing everything. Eventually Parker Industries will be destroyed by the Green Goblin, or bought out by Puma (remember him?). This multinational house of cards is making the current volume of Amazing Spider-Man a must read for life long reader who only ever broke from his collection because Slott took over.

Actually they stated him being a broke man child was what made him relatable. They weren't talking about an ideal but a specific position. Mainly because it is all bullshit that was meaningless from the start.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

qntm posted:

I may be misremembering but I think the way Kingdom Come ended was a compromise between Waid's intended ending and Alex Ross's intended ending, which were completely incompatible with one another, so we got neither.

I actually don't know what their individual endings would have been. However, Ross has a commentary hidden in the background of the collected version only epilogue at the Planet Krypton restaurant. If you look close, one of the nearby tables to the Trinity has Ross, Waid, and editor Dan Raspier sitting at it. Ross is on one side, the other two on the other, and they're pretty clearly arguing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

mind the walrus posted:

Tbf literally any fat, white, brown-haired dude can make a good Doc Ock.

Possibly, but I imagine only certain people can make the all-white suit and visor glasses work.

My first exposure to the man was a Sinister Six collection in the library with him in that look(Also Hobgoblin as some kind of I dunno, with actual flame powers). I remember it strongly; the eventual plot was he was doing was something like 'launch satellite to dose the world with stuff that will end drug(Heroin specifically?) use by forcing allergic reactions-then sell shots of a temporary fix for that'.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Is there a companion to Alex Ross' Justice full of annotations as well?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT BATMAN posted:

Is there a companion to Alex Ross' Justice full of annotations as well?

No, just what you'll find in the Absolute.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Vision #1

The Vision has decided to delete his previous emotional baggage and start fresh in a suburban life with a wife and two kids of his own creation. He's just given a neighbour couple a tour of the house.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey Vision remember the last time you got together with someone and just 'made some kids'?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

He doesn't remember that, that's the whole point.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
No he remembers he just erased the emotional horror that would have kept him from doing it again.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 5, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Okay, I get that they don't need to eat, but if they're synthezoids or whatever, why don't they have taste buds? Eating food you really don't need to eat just because it tastes good seems like a core part of suburban existence that they're missing out on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Okay, I get that they don't need to eat, but if they're synthezoids or whatever, why don't they have taste buds?

Vision has taste buds.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Geez, Vision, at least donate some of that poo poo. Or leave it in the break room at the office or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Vision has taste buds.

Then why didn't he try the cookies before throwing them out? Or am I missing a panel where they taste terrible?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I assume the cookies were for the guests? And since they left, and the robots don't really need to eat, they're just throwing away the leftover cookies?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Then why didn't he try the cookies before throwing them out? Or am I missing a panel where they taste terrible?

Maybe the writer doesn't know he has taste buds.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Skwirl posted:

Okay, I get that they don't need to eat, but if they're synthezoids or whatever, why don't they have taste buds? Eating food you really don't need to eat just because it tastes good seems like a core part of suburban existence that they're missing out on.

The Vision is based off the original Human Torch, who is just a dude made of science parts. Blood, bones, cells, DNA, all that stuff. He could give blood transfusions to people. The degree to which anyone remembers this is always up for grabs, and thus Vision can be a "Be-boop" robot or he can be an artificial man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I assume the cookies were for the guests? And since they left, and the robots don't really need to eat, they're just throwing away the leftover cookies?

In the preview it shows his neighbors bringing them by to be polite.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe the writer doesn't know he has taste buds.

Sorry, but this is the Vision of Zur-En-Arrh, who canonically both lacks taste buds, and also has a small tattoo (carved with an adamantium needle) on his inner thigh as an unsightly reminder of a night with that planet's Deadpool in New Tijuana. (As it happened, way back in Exiles v.2 #17. Excelsior!)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toshimo posted:

Sorry, but this is the Vision of Zur-En-Arrh, who canonically both lacks taste buds, and also has a small tattoo (carved with an adamantium needle) on his inner thigh as an unsightly reminder of a night with that planet's Deadpool in New Tijuana. (As it happened, way back in Exiles v.2 #17. Excelsior!)

I can't tell if you just made that up or not.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zur En Arrh is a DC thing so yes he made it up
:goonsay:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Vision has tastebuds, but he neglected to install them when he built his wife and children. He actually wanted the cookies, but he turns his back for five loving seconds and she throws them away. He says "nice", sarcastically, then catches himself and makes up some bullshit to cover his slipup. Then she called him on it, and he couldn't let that bitch win after chunking his cookies, so he kept bullshitting until she shut the gently caress up. Tonight, he will drink alone in the study, clenching his hand and thinking of how awesome those cookies would have tasted.

"Yes," he will think to himself, "I have created a seamless marriage."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Captain Bravo posted:

Vision has tastebuds, but he neglected to install them when he built his wife and children. He actually wanted the cookies, but he turns his back for five loving seconds and she throws them away. He says "nice", sarcastically, then catches himself and makes up some bullshit to cover his slipup. Then she called him on it, and he couldn't let that bitch win after chunking his cookies, so he kept bullshitting until she shut the gently caress up. Tonight, he will drink alone in the study, clenching his hand and thinking of how awesome those cookies would have tasted.

*phone rings*

"Hello?"

*crunching noises* "Hey, Vision. Guess what I'm eating."

"gently caress YOU, J'ONN!"

*slams phone hard enough to shatter the table*

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Gavok posted:

*phone rings*

"Hello?"

Next time the Avengers team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket will be eating a cookie.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Vision #1

The Vision has decided to delete his previous emotional baggage and start fresh in a suburban life with a wife and two kids of his own creation. He's just given a neighbour couple a tour of the house.

Holy gently caress I need this comic so bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

*phone rings*

"Hello?"

J'onn is just reaching out for help as he has his horrible Oreo problem.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Bravo posted:

Gavok posted:

*phone rings*

"Hello?"

This Really Happened.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Does this really look like the face of a man who was fine with just throwing cookies away?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bendis is killing it on Iron Man.

not pictured - Tony fights Madame Masque

"Becoming the man that would deserve you would be a very good goal at this stage in my life."
I love this version of Stark.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do they give an award at the Eisners for speech bubble arrangement? Maybe a special award for that effort.

e: \/ I actually think the full page of dialogue over one image thing is quite a neat device. I wouldn't want to see it all the time, but I think splash pages devoted to just two people talking is a nice thing to see.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 5, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do they give an award at the Eisners for speech bubble arrangement? Maybe a special award for that effort.

The Brian Michael Bendis "Why did you even bother with art?" award. :v:

Am I the only one that thinks forcing that much dialogue onto a one-page panel leaves the entire thing feeling stilted?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm actually really surprised at how good overall post-SW Marvel has been so far, hopefully there'll be minimal Status Quo resets for all this(except maybe the stuff involving Mutants getting screwed over), there was some really nice bits in Deadpool showing that despite becoming rich and the most popular hero in the world he's still trying to figure out how to be a better person, how best to help other people(including recruiting a bunch of minor heroes like Solo and Stingray to be part of his organization and being the current financial support to the Avengers), and still trying to deal with both all the horrible crap he's been through in the past, and his very deeply ingrained self-loathing issues, also a nice moment involving the still Inverted Sabertooth heavily regretting the role he played in Wade's past miseries(really makes me annoyed that they undid Hobgoblin and Carnage's inversions, both were much more interesting as "Heroes" than what they normally are)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DigitalRaven posted:

The Brian Michael Bendis "Why did you even bother with art?" award. :v:

Am I the only one that thinks forcing that much dialogue onto a one-page panel leaves the entire thing feeling stilted?

Yeah I got half way through that but just couldn't finish it. To many words that are unnecessary.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Bendis is killing it on Iron Man.
So, uh, what's up with this helpful and handsome Doctor Doom?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

drrockso20 posted:

(really makes me annoyed that they undid Hobgoblin and Carnage's inversions, both were much more interesting as "Heroes" than what they normally are)

What's the current situation with Hobgoblin? I'm confused at why they'd bother stepping back from his AXIS characterization-- he was still a bad, selfish, cruel guy, just one with a more interesting schtick than "Green Goblin but orange who was cool for a little while in the 80's."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

redbackground posted:

So, uh, what's up with this helpful and handsome Doctor Doom?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Well, that was surprisingly accurate on both counts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So is ~Pretty Doom~ basically so they can eventually do a FF movie that doesn't suck because they can't get Dr Doom right?