Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I hope a Hillary presidency encourages more Americans to try butt stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

For the pizza or the anal?

Can't it be both?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

A Winner is Jew posted:

Can't it be both?

Hell of a party those Democrats have.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

Can't it be both?

It'd give you a convenient table for your pizza, surely.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Well maybe not for the table.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

zoux posted:

This could sink her.

Leave it to Bill's wife to finally bring the power of Anal into mainstream politics.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

It'd give you a convenient table for your pizza, surely.

I'm pretty sure that's going to violate a few things in the health code.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dr. Tough posted:

So apparently Ben Carson's autobiography might have straight up fabrications in it:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/politics/ben-carson-2016-childhood-violence/index.html

tl;dr: In his book he admits to a variety of violent acts at school, but his classmates say that they have no memory of any of these things happening and further say that it's difficult to believe they could have happened even hypothetically.

My War with Brian by Ben Carson.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm pretty sure that's going to violate a few things in the health code.

Absolutely--Please people, don't think about creative uses for pizza grease. It's just not sanitary.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Pillowpants posted:

My final vote tally for dictator of Amesbury

district 2 city council: 1 vote
District 5 city council: 12 votes
School committee: 3 votes
Planning board 4 year: 4 votes
Planning board 2 year: 21 votes (2nd place)
Library trustee 4 year: 3 votes
Housing authority: 32 votes (win)

can you make the snowtubing hill at amesbury sports park bigger? or, failing that, have them build some sick jumps

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I saw Walker is going to begin testing for welfare benefits next week which prompted me to drop what I was doing and knee-jerk post this on my Facebook wall. I'm thinking about deleting it because it's more of a stick it to my conservative relatives post but I'll see what you goons think first.

quote:

We live in a country where our shared prosperity is backseat to team identity and value judgments.

Wisconsin will begin drug-testing welfare recipients Nov 9th. At issue when forming an opinion on this is whether you believe that attacking social safety nets incentivizes and forces people to take care of themselves or whether you believe that people are already attempting to take care of themselves but for one reason or another have been hindered or undercut in doing so.

Certainly, any opinion cannot be formed over the economic impact of such testing. Factually, it cannot be said that the drug-testing program is a valuable and money-saving endeavor as Wisconsin is not the first state to enact such a policy and there is already data out there to suggest the impact; Arizona, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah all have existing programs. In 6 of these 7 states, the percentage of the population testing positive is below 1% and including the 7th state, all fall below the national average of 9.4%. The cost to the states is already over $1 million with projected costs to grow in the ensuing years. These results show a clear counter to arguments cited by proponents of the law, namely:
1) This does not save the state money in welfare payments
2) Welfare recipients are not more likely to use drugs

It should be noted that Utah projected a $350,000 savings in their testing program in 2013. However, only 12 individuals out of the 466 tested (nearly 5,000 screened) actually tested positive. So how did they realize these savings? Utah requires drug testing recipients to pay upfront for the testing and to be reimbursed (without interest) later. As a result over 250 individuals declined to receive the testing and therefore were disqualified for benefits.
So this raises the real question, why enact such a program? One might believe that by forcing those receiving welfare off of the government doles that we're incentivizing them to be a productive member of society. However, there again the data does not support the assertion. According to a Center for Budget and Policy Priorities study, more than 90% of benefits go to individuals who are either:
1) Elderly
2) Seriously disabled
3) Members of working households (children and employed individuals)
These employed workers suffer from a familiar problem. Low or stagnant wage growth with rapidly increasing costs of food, housing, and education.

Income inequality is a problem, and now presidential candidates of all stripes acknowledge the issue. As study of income and wealth inequality and it's impact on the financial and political landscape continues to mature, it's becoming increasingly evident that programs such as this, the slashing of safety nets, are contributing to the problems and counter-productive to the long-term health and stability of the US economy.

In the arena of welfare reform we should be asking ourselves how we take individuals who receive benefits to the next level, how we can better refine the process meant to provide upward mobility (the American Dream) and target the problems that are really restraining people from prospering. False or misleading arguments in favor of political expediency and the dismantling of support structures which nearly a quarter of Americans will need at one time or another in order to remain a productive member of society is not the answer.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 5, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Knee jerk posting to Facebook is never a good thing. Hell, posting on Facebook in general is never a good thing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor Butts posted:

Ben Carson a straight up busta.

I was in the voting booth when I noticed the Ultimate Hustler's name on the ballot, his platform was all "Carson a scrub" and I voted straight ticket but then he said "he a busta" and he won in a landslide

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Boon posted:

I saw Walker is going to begin testing for welfare benefits next week which prompted me to drop what I was doing and knee-jerk post this on my Facebook wall. I'm thinking about deleting it because it's more of a stick it to my conservative relatives post but I'll see what you goons think first.

There's no medal for second place in the war for hearts and minds. If it's factually correct and cites credible sources, keep it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MSF released its internal review regarding the 10/3 airstrikes against their Kunduz hospital.

Some highlights:

quote:

MSF received a question from a US Government official in Washington D.C., asking whether the hospital or any other of MSF’s locations had a large number of Taliban “holed up” and enquired about the safety of our staff . MSF replied that our staff were working at full capacity in Kunduz and that the hospital was full of patients including wounded Taliban combatants, some of whom had been referred to the MSF medical post in Chardara. MSF also expressed that we were very clear with both sides to the conflict about the need to respect medical structures as a condition to our ability to continue working.

Due to the increased intensity of fighting in Kunduz, MSF reaffirmed the well-known location of the KTC by once again emailing its GPS coordinates to US Department of Defense, Afghan Ministry of Interior and Defense and US army in Kabul. The GPS coordinates provided for the KTC were 36°43'4.91"N 68°51'43.96"E(for the main hospital building) and 36°43'4.29"N 68°51'42.62"E (for the administrative office building within KTC). Confirmation of receipt was received from both US Department of Defense and US army representatives, both of whom assured us that the coordinates had been passed on to the appropriate parties. Oral confirmation was received from the Afghan Ministry of Interior. MSF also shared the GPS coordinates with a UN intermediary who confirmed transmission directly to Operation Resolute Support.

On Friday, two MSF flags were placed on the roof of the hospital, in addition to the existing flag that was being flown at the entrance to the Trauma Centre. The KTC was also one of the only buildings in the city that had full electricity from generator power on the night of the airstrikes.

Throughout the night before the airstrikes began, all MSF staff confirm that it was very calm in the hospital and its close surroundings. No fighting was taking place around the hospital, no planes were heard overhead, no gunshots were reported, nor explosions in the vicinity of the hospital. Some staff mention that they were even able to stand in the open air of the hospital compound, which they had refrained from doing in the days prior, for fear of stray bullets from fighting in the neighbourhood around the hospital. All staff confirm that the gate of the hospital was closed and that the MSF unarmed guards were on duty. From approximately 12.20am to 1. 10am, the MSF coordinator conducted the nightly security round of the hospital compound. The coordinator reported that the KTC was calm, with no armed combatants present, nor any fighting on the hospital grounds or within the audible vicinity. All MSF guards were on duty and MSF was in complete control of the compound.

According to all accounts the US airstrikes started between 2.00am and 2.08am on 3 October. Despite it being in the middle of the night, the MSF hospital was busy and fully functional at the time of the airstrike. Medical staff were making the most of the quiet night to catch up on the backlog of pending surgeries. When the aerial attack began, there were 105 patients in the hospital. MSF estimates that between 3 and 4 of the patients were wounded government combatants, and approximately 20 patients were wounded Taliban. One hundred and forty MSF national staff and nine MSF international staff were present in the hospital compound at the time of the attack, as well as 1ICRC delegate. It is estimated that the airstrikes lasted approximately one hour, with some accounts saying the strikes continued for one hour and fifteen minutes, ending approximately 3am–3.15am.

A series of multiple, precise and sustained airstrikes targeted the main hospital building, leaving the rest of the buildings in the MSF compound comparatively untouched. This specific building of the hospital correlates exactly with the GPS coordinates provided to the parties to the conflict (GPS coordinates were taken directly in front of the main hospital building that was hit in the airstrikes) .

The airstrikes continued with many staff referring to a propeller plane, which could be heard throughout. This sound is consistent with the reported AC-130 circling the MSF hospital. Many of those interviewed describe massive explosions, sufficient to shake the ground. These bigger explosions were most frequently described as coming in concentrated volleys. MSF staff also described shooting coming from the plane. Many staff describe seeing people being shot, most likelyfrom the plane, as people tried to flee the main hospital building that was being hit with each airstrike. Some accounts mention shooting that appears to follow the movement of people on the run. MSF doctors and other medical staff were shot while running to reach safety in a different part of the compound. One MSF staff member described a patient in a wheelchair attempting to escape from the inpatient department when he was killed by shrapnel from a blast. An MSF doctor suffered a traumatic amputation to the leg in one of the blasts. He was later operated on by the MSF team on a make-shift perating table on an office desk where he died. Other MSF staff describe seeing people running while on fire and then falling unconscious on the ground. One MSF staff was decapitated by shrapnel in the airstrikes.

MSF can conclude the following points, based on the facts reviewed in this initial overview of
events before, during and immediately after
the US airstrikes on 3 October 2015:
• The agreement to respect the neutrality of our medical facility based on the applicable sections of International Humanitarian Law was fully in place and agreed with all parties to the conflict prior to the attack.
• The KTC was fully functioning as a hospital with 105 patients admitted and surgeries ongoing at the time of the airstrikes
• The MSF rules in the hospital were implemented and respected, including the ‘no weapon’ policy and MSF was in full control of the hospital at the time of the airstrikes
• There were no armed combatants within the hospital compound and there was no fighting from or in the direct vicinity of the KTC at the time of the airstrikes
• The GPS coordinates provided to all armed groups were accurate and MSF teams in Kabul and New York made the relevant contacts to alert the parties to the conflict of the airstrikes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

MSF released its internal review regarding the 10/3 airstrikes against their Kunduz hospital.

Some highlights:

:negative: Its loving awful, and worse off, nothing is going to happen in response.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

:negative: Its loving awful, and worse off, nothing is going to happen in response.

Just like the other hospitals that were bombed in other conflicts since the MSF hospital was bombed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

There's nothing in the report that speaks to why the US military bombed the hospital, but it does affirm that MSF had followed all necessary protocols, communicated clearly with relevant authorities, and that basically the hospital was the only lit up structure for miles and was clearly marked with three flags.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bribery made easy.

quote:

Then, U.S. Rep. Fred Upton, a Michigan Republican who chaired the House Energy Committee, gave the industry an opportunity to amplify its influence. Joining forces with Sen. Lisa Murkowski, the Alaska Republican who chaired the Senate Energy Committee, he launched a so-called joint fundraising committee, a campaign war chest that would accept donations from a range of contributors, with the proceeds divided between the two lawmakers.

Executives at one of the nation’s largest natural gas pipeline companies soon deposited more than $83,000 into the joint fund’s coffers. The very next day, Upton delivered on the industry’s aspirations: He rushed a bill through his legislative panel that would not only streamline the approval process for new pipelines but also empower federal officials to impose tight deadlines on state and local governments seeking to review their potential environmental impacts.

Joint fundraising committees, which pool donations and then distribute them to their overseers, have been around for years, but they have typically been organized to help political parties raise money in bunches or to enable multiple lawmakers serving the same geographic area to share donations, making fundraising more efficient. The Murkowski-Upton committee presented an innovation: a joint fundraising committee organized around specific public policy, appearing to link the influx of money from a powerful special interest to a particular set of legislative goals.

I'm sure this has been going on forever but they at least had the decency to hide it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750148

Thread about my mockery of the system.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sit through a few evening municipal meetings before you run for office.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quote:

Belmopan Bill, unfortunately, the account you registered on Jim Webb Discussion Forum did not meet membership requirements. Your account has been removed.

The following reason was given:

Must use a valid email address

Sorry.

Jim Webb Discussion Forum

Jim Webb apparently discriminates against .bz e-mail addresses. Jim Webb - bad for Belizeans, bad for America.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
How has the thread title not been changed to USPOL Nov: Pizza and anal yet?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Mods can't keep up in the 24hr post cycle. IMPEACH!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

There's no medal for second place in the war for hearts and minds. If it's factually correct and cites credible sources, keep it.

That's absolutely true. The Facebook post is well written, easy to understand, and important. Don't shy away from it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bribery made easy.

I'm sure this has been going on forever but they at least had the decency to hide it.

Bribery has officially gotten so loving lazy in this country, politicians on the take literally sign up for a joint bank account so the bribe-payers just need to write one cheque.

And we, the people who can see this poo poo for the blatant fuckery it is, are screwed because we don't have money to run a campaign against them because they get paid mega millions.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

How has the national anthem not been changed to Pizza and anal yet?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Um you can't prove that the donations led directly to anything so therefor it's not bribery." -SCOTUS Justice and Corrupt Idiot John Roberts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wonder if meme copyright extends to collage-based memes. If your audio or image/gif/video source was not yours, but it takes off in popularity, do you still get to enforce copyright? Or does it default to the image/audio maker? What if both aspects were not yours and you just arranged it?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rumsfeld responds:

quote:

Rumsfeld fired back in a statement to NBC News: "Bush 41 is getting up in years and misjudges Bush 43, who I found made his own decisions."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

And yet he wouldn't answer the lizard person question. :tinfoil:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

George W. responds

quote:

Don, Dad, don't make me choose.

Brain fart

:negative:

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 5, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gravel Gravy posted:

George H.W. responds

You mean W?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

It's Cool and Good™ that it took over a loving decade for any of them to finally acknowledge that something/someone hosed up

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Also that Donald Trump of all people was the one to instigate it

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

My War with Brian by Ben Carson.

Absolutely--Please people, don't think about creative uses for pizza grease. It's just not sanitary.

But I was looking for ways to make new varietals of Santorum.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Necc0 posted:

Also that Donald Trump of all people was the one to instigate it

Yeah it's kind of weird that "Did the Bush Administration deliberately plan and execute 9/11 as a false flag cassus belli for the invasion of Iraq" gets way more public discussion than "Did the Bush Administration fail to prevent 9/11 through neglect or incompetence." We just totally gave them a pass on it, it only ever really came up with the "Bin Laden Determined to Attack" memo and at the end of it we as a nation just said, well it's fine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the headline after the committee asked Rice about it was "The Lady is a Champ"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fried Chicken posted:

I would vote for Powered by Pizza and Anal myself.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh the Buttghazi investigation uncover something ripe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

It's almost like other places in this world are more mature than our stupid country.

This also includes the place next door:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxWL-ksZE4s

• Locked thread