Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I get the feeling that this is all to make it so Azumi gets his hands on Erina.

I don't for one second believe Azumi doesn't know where Erina is.

They made it pretty clear it's a bad hiding spot.

Maybe they should have thought harder about giving ultimate power to a council with a 50% annual turnover rate.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's Azami

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Why is no one talking about that guy's suit, the biggest reveal of the chapter

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why is no one talking about that guy's suit, the biggest reveal of the chapter

Because he's had that suit ever since he was introduced?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Because he's had that suit ever since he was introduced?

What chapter was that and how did I miss it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

With the direction Tootsuki is going, Souma will be both unwelcome and it won't provide any value to him. Hanging out with his friends at the dorm and learning from them is pretty much the only thing left for him there. So either he wins and the dorm stays, or he gets expelled from a place that doesn't care about anymore.

Actually wouldn't flunking out now, whilst the place has a reputation, be far more beneficial?

Hell a 1st year 92nd Gen certificate might actually be worth more than a full 92nd Gen diploma depending on how quickly AzSoc ravages the reputation of the school.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

What chapter was that and how did I miss it

Should have been Souma vs mimic chef dude.

The dude was front and center and with a contract and everything, I really don't know how you forgot him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
It was actually waay back at the karage arc

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Elfgames posted:

It was actually waay back at the karage arc

This is right. Dapper As gently caress Businessman was the mastermind behind the Karage shop and appeared warning the Karage lady about anything going wrong.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

This is right. Dapper As gently caress Businessman was the mastermind behind the Karage shop and appeared warning the Karage lady about anything going wrong.

I'm not talking about Eizan, I'm talking about that guy being referred to as Chief wearing that suit covered in the playing card pattern

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Angry Grimace posted:

She's already tried his cooking before. In fact, the last couple of chapters was the first time we've seen her refuse. The only other time she was approached to do it she did it in exchange for a comically small bribe.

Yeah, but she hasn't said "Oh hey this tastes really good, good job Souma." She always secretly enjoys it and then acts like it's only decent at best.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I'm not talking about Eizan, I'm talking about that guy being referred to as Chief wearing that suit covered in the playing card pattern

Not new:

Pretty sure he also exists prior to that page, but damned if I can remember when.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Not new:

Pretty sure he also exists prior to that page, but damned if I can remember when.

Wow I legitimately can't remember ever seeing that suit before

Do you think he has one suit or several like that

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 30, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
He has a suit of suits for every occasion.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, but she hasn't said "Oh hey this tastes really good, good job Souma." She always secretly enjoys it and then acts like it's only decent at best.

She hasn't acted like since the beginning of the series. Nowadays whenever she tastes his food she seems to give him honest critiques that he takes to heart before improving. I mean, he's not perfect.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

NowonSA posted:

He has a suit of suits for every occasion.

He has a suit of suits that suits every occasion, c'mon man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

blizzardvizard posted:

He has a suit of suits that suits every occasion, c'mon man.

These cards are a little frayed along the edges, but then again so am I and I don't have as many suits.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Clarste posted:

She hasn't acted like since the beginning of the series. Nowadays whenever she tastes his food she seems to give him honest critiques that he takes to heart before improving. I mean, he's not perfect.

I'm guessing the "I refuse to even try it" thing (that only came up recently) is because she knows it will cause her tsundere embarrassment because she probably is aware she might actually like it. Basically she went from clueless tsundere to in-denial tsundere.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I feel like the biggest issue with the new "revolution" is that it doesn't feel particularly "revolutionary," especially for an over-the-top manga series.

All Azami did was take a battle school and turn it into a bog-standard culinary academy where they find good recipes and teach them to you. This is pretty much what they do at every real life culinary school, isn't it?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's not as if they weren't teaching recipes to teach the students in the first place (like how Megumi and Soma had to do that beef recipe w/ the strict French teacher and one of their debacles with Shinomiya at the training camp was over following his recipe).

Azami's making everyone conform to his idea of the culinary arts when one of the defining features of the manga is being able to grow as a cook by not necessarily following the rules to a perfect T nor just sticking to what you know and specialize in. (something Megumi, Nikumi, Alice, and Mimisaka were able to learn during shokugekis). Oh, and friendship or something. Tootsuki before was certainly harsh, but if you earned your place there, the school gave them the freedom to explore through cultivation.

As it is now, it's, "Follow our new curriculum and you'll cook like the Elite 10, but you can't have clubs anymore because you have nothing new to learn from those." It's a bog, stifling creativity of artists sort of plot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Clearly, the writer is subtly rebelling against his editors who forced him to add a new villain to spice up the plot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a fine art school except a bit harsher basically. Pre-Azami, it was basically a place to explore one's creativity so long as the fundamental requirements were met (in comparison to art school, things like perspective, shading, color theory and proportion). Once those were down, a student could pretty much do whatever and explore whatever style they wished as long as they could endure the examinations and such. The examinations themselves were relatively freeform (except for Shinomiya) and allowed a lot latitude in the students' results.

What Azami's doing is turning the school into a chef mill (or I guess a standard culinary school), so to speak, where everyone has the same style from top to bottom and with no allowances in variation. Every chef produced would likely be a carbon copy of the chef next to them in terms of style and ability with that style founded in the Elite 10's. We've already seen hints of with the smoker kid not being allowed to do his assignment his way when presumably it would've been allowed beforehand.

Azami isn't an over-the-top villain (and the series itself never really had all that many over-the-top villains), he's a schemer. The resolution will likely be over-the-top, but that's because of how Souma tends to resolve things.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Xelkelvos posted:

Azami isn't an over-the-top villain (and the series itself never really had all that many over-the-top villains), he's a schemer. The resolution will likely be over-the-top, but that's because of how Souma tends to resolve things.

He's presented as one because of his motives, and because he's an abusive shitbag, but otherwise his actual evil plan isn't completely outlandish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Shokugeki begins and Eizan continues to be the biggest cock in this series. Souma seems to be planning something maybe? This chapter seems to be more about whetting the appetite for the match and putting down the place settings for the full course spectacle.

RIP Tsubasa though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I still don't get how the school apparently has the right to tear down an entirely independent residential building.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Deki posted:

I still don't get how the school apparently has the right to tear down an entirely independent residential building.

This is weird to me too. Evil override powers I assume.

Rindou continues to be great.

Nice of them to callback the Karaage. I wonder if Soma will attack Eizan's pride to make him make the judges judge fairly? That was a weird sentence. I imagine there's something more than just that, though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Deki posted:

It's independently owned and run, but it's on Totsuki land so they can still tear it down, I guess? :shrug:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
In the absence of Alice, Rindou is doing perfect at filling in for amazing faces.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

Same explanation for Old Gramps Nakiri losing Erina's custody: somethingsomethingelite10

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think there was a custody battle. Erina just came with the school.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Good on Kuga for skipping out on his duties. If Tsukasa didn't want to do more work, maybe he shouldn't have voted for Azami.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Deki posted:

Even if it wasn't independent, you'd think there'd be some tenant protection laws that apply in this case

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Naked apron senpai hasn't shown up for a while. He's been shown to have business acumen and connections, so he'll probably show up and turn the tide somehow.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The underlings' power comes directly from the fact that they're employed by one of the Elite Ten. Who are ranked according to their power.

Now, isn't there someone who technically outranks Eizan living in the Polar Star Dorm?

I think this is Naked Sempai's time to shine :getin:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

The underlings' power comes directly from the fact that they're employed by one of the Elite Ten. Who are ranked according to their power.

Now, isn't there someone who technically outranks Eizan living in the Polar Star Dorm?

I think this is Naked Sempai's time to shine :getin:

But will it be at the dorm or the Shokugeki or both?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope everyone at polar star just challenges these goons to a shokugeki. Eizan's too busy to organise some sham judges for all of them, and i'm hoping Isshiki will save the day in the Eizan v Soma match. If only because that seems more important.

I'm just kind of hoping we get more out of the Elite 10 soon, as I thought learning more about them was going to be one of the bigger purposes of this arc. And just the little stuff like how Kuga is protesting by refusing to work and how some other members weren't even approached to vote in Azami, is kinda interesting and I want to learn more about that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i wouldn't be surprised if the elite 10 who didn't vote for azami lost their privileges.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

We're in another battle that Souma has no actual way to lose, unfortunately.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He just drew with Kuga and ate a loss against Hayama in his last two big matches. I'm fine with him getting a win here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So glad that Mangastream picked the series up.