Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Plus, MGSV is made by a pachinko company, which makes it even more impressive when they make a good video game. Let's see Bethsoft make a genre-defining pachinko game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

The Great War was Fallout's pachinko game

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money
The biggest problem I've seen from the FO4 streams is that the gameplay looks like garbage in a lot of respects:

- No more skill tree (huh?).
- Lots of perks that are just +X% to Y.
- "Streamlined" dialog system that includes hidden stat checks.
- The shooting is still bad.
- It's a story driven game with the most wooden, stilted dialog I've seen since, uh, Skyrim.

Really, we shouldn't even be arguing about the graphics. Anyone who has watched the stream can see that the game looks lousy compared to other open world games like GTA5, MGS5, and TW3 that came out this year on PC. Two of those games even had last-gen console ports to accommodate and still manage to shame this game visually.

I don't think anyone would care that the graphics blow if they'd actually made some real improvements to the gameplay, instead of gutting the RPG aspects while leaving the lousy action elements and mind-boggling inconsistencies (see the Paul/Cooke thing) completely intact.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Despite it's flaws I will play this game and most likely have fun

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

the simple fact these bethesdorks can't seem to wrap their poo poo brains around is that witcher 3 is good and therefore fallout 4 is garbage

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Buff Butler posted:

Afghanistan and Africa are huge and you can free roam them, and you can go directly from one mission to another without returning to the helicopter for most of them. Saying that it's not an open world game is laughable.

It's not the same sort of open world game as skyrim. It's a different type of game. Maybe a better type!

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
thank god we can't like two games at the same time- it would be perplexing.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Buff Butler posted:

The biggest problem I've seen from the FO4 streams is that the gameplay looks like garbage in a lot of respects:

- It's a story driven game with the most wooden, stilted dialog I've seen since, uh, Skyrim.

Really, we shouldn't even be arguing about the graphics. Anyone who has watched the stream can see that the game looks lousy compared to other open world games like GTA5, MGS5, and TW3 that came out this year on PC. Two of those games even had last-gen console ports to accommodate and still manage to shame this game visually.

I don't think anyone would care that the graphics blow if they'd actually made some real improvements to the gameplay, instead of gutting the RPG aspects while leaving the lousy action elements and mind-boggling inconsistencies (see the Paul/Cooke thing) completely intact.

This is also all true. Bethesda has no business trying to break into story games when the last time they wrote anything compelling was when Kirkbride was still around to write Morrowind for them in 2002. Trying to bank on that and simplifying the gameplay even more is a mistake.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

rap music posted:

the simple fact these bethesdorks can't seem to wrap their poo poo brains around is that witcher 3 is good and therefore fallout 4 is garbage

But Witcher 3 was really bad

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Buff Butler posted:

About these two, a big complaint that I had about FO3 and Skyrim's perks is that they often just did the same thing that the actual skills did, and they ended up being redundant. Looks like they fixed that problem!

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's not the same sort of open world game as skyrim. It's a different type of game. Maybe a better type!

If by 'better' you mean that it's an open world game in which you can enter buildings and settlements without having to pass through a loading screen, then yes, I agree.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Buff Butler posted:

I don't think there ever was a skill tree in Fallout, was there? And most perks seem to have extra effects when you fill them out, at least on the thing I looked at here. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but it feels like a huge improvement over FO3/NV though, where half of leveling up was dropping 6 points into my small guns skill, which made almost no difference to anything.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Will I be able to dual-wield pistols?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think the new perk system is superior to the old skill system. Skills sucked, there were basically only 4 values that mattered. Needlessly granular.

Also the magazine system is neat, there are collectible magazines that give you a variety of unique perks of various types, from boring ones like +x% crit chance to new features at terminals and power armor custom paintjobs.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
can i put my penis inside piper and maybe cum????

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Speaking of fire, wasn't there an Oblivion demo about RadiantAI where a dog got set on fire?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Unpopular opinion time but I feel 'X% to Y Damage is bad and Skills are better!' is the product of shallow thinking because Skills were just 'X% to Y Damage' but in much smaller increments. The difference between 25 and 75 Guns Skill was n% more damage/accuracy mechanically, and compared to a progression of 25/50/75/100% damage increase much -less- significant. 0 weapon skill compared to 100 weapon skill was considerably less than a doubling of damage output, the new perk system actually shows improvement for investment better than the old one.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 5, 2015

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Magmarashi posted:

Unpopular opinion time but I feel 'X% to Y Damage is bad and Skills are better!' is the product of shallow thinking because Skills were just 'X% to Y Damage' but in much smaller increments. The difference between 25 and 75 Guns Skill was n% more damage/accuracy mechanically, and compared to a progression of 25/50/75/100% damage increase much -less- significant.

Are we now making the argument that the skill system did not result in meaningful player choices in previous Fallout games? Because that's a chuckle.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Look, I may be a simple man (with a genius level IQ) but there's one thing i know for sure. Things that are in any way different than what I currently prefer are necessarily bad and only enjoyed by halfwit poo poo stains.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Geoff Zahn posted:

can i put my penis inside piper and maybe cum????

That's gross. You're gross.

I'm sure some gross person on the 'slab or nexus will fulfill your gross needs in the coming weeks though

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Shroud posted:

Speaking of fire, wasn't there an Oblivion demo about RadiantAI where a dog got set on fire?

The big lie fake demo, yeah. Also, it had a badly voiced Dunmer with actual Dunmer voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Frankston posted:

Will I be able to dual-wield pistols?

This is also important to me. Someone answer this.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Buff Butler posted:

Are we now making the argument that the skill system did not result in meaningful player choices in previous Fallout games? Because that's a chuckle.

No, this has nothing to do with what I said.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Skills are bad perks are bad too. Player engagement? It's bad as well. You should just get in your little cart (actually a hat) and ride from place to place seeing what the vile enemy Todd Howard wants you to see.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think the new perk system is superior to the old skill system. Skills sucked, there were basically only 4 values that mattered. Needlessly granular.

Also the magazine system is neat, there are collectible magazines that give you a variety of unique perks of various types, from boring ones like +x% crit chance to new features at terminals and power armor custom paintjobs.

I don't know what could possibly be bad about optimizing an in-game spreadsheet.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Magmarashi posted:

No, this has nothing to do with what I said.

Oh, okay, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and ignore all of the parts of that post that were wrong, so in order to respond, I had to invent an entirely new point by inference.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Buff Butler posted:

Oh, okay, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and ignore all of the parts of that post that were wrong, so in order to respond, I had to invent an entirely new point by inference.

I'd be happy to read your reasoning for why skills aren't just invisibly calculated, incremental % gains that shows the flaw in my thought process.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Bethesda designs their open world differently than anyone else and it is shown on the technical side as well

Main thing I noticed was that most open-world games nowadays load content as you go, sometimes literally removing things you don't see, but Bethesda seems really against this idea. Another thing they do is that they always make NPCs and other actors similar to the player character, they can wear the same equipment, wield the same weapon the same way, while in other games the main character is totally unique.

projecthalaxy posted:

Is your thesis that MGSV is not an open world game because I guarantee you it takes longer than 10 minutes and 40 seconds to cross Afghanistan, or even Mother Base after a couple upgrades.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Buff Butler posted:

Ah gently caress, back to this poo poo again...

There never were skilltrees in Fallout, and I thought we are beyond from having skills just because percentages make your dick hard.
Perks are +X% because there are no skills, so they do the same with a more streamlined way. And the more interesting ones are further down the path.
Hidden stat checks were the way how the classic games worked, I thought this is about how Fallout 4 is bad compared to them... And if you really think there's no way you can ask more than 4 things (which doesn't happen that often really) then get more creative!

And again, you are comparing graphics on some homemmade videos made by some random assholes using who knows what.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm really excited for Fallout 4.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Magmarashi posted:

I'd be happy to read your reasoning for why skills aren't just invisibly calculated, incremental % gains that shows the flaw in my thought process.

Because they're not? Skill levels in previous Fallout games affect which perks you can take, which in-game skill checks you can pass, and impact performance of the skill when it's being used.

Also lol again at "comparing graphics in some homemade video." I guess the official trailer is a homemade video now?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Buff Butler posted:

Because they're not? Skill levels in previous Fallout games affect which perks you can take, which in-game skill checks you can pass, and impact performance of the skill when it's being used.

Also lol again at "comparing graphics in some homemade video." I guess the official trailer is a homemade video now?

So now you choose those perks that are determined by your stats. These Perks and stats weill be used for skillchecks and impact performance. It's the exact same poo poo.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Sputty posted:

The big lie fake demo, yeah. Also, it had a badly voiced Dunmer with actual Dunmer voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg

why is the guy from extra credits narrating this video

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Buff Butler posted:

You're comparing the graphics of an in game experience to a transcoded and compressed video.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
so, yeah, about Deathclaws...

http://imgur.com/gallery/X8h5tfv/new

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Chalks posted:

I'm not arguing that The Witcher 3 doesn't look better, but it did only come out 6 months ago or whatever. If that game had been delayed, what would you be pointing to? 6 months ago when The Witcher 3 came out, you can hardly expect the Fallout devs to re-write loads of their engine to try to compete - that's a disastrous path. At least from the promotional images, this game looks better than previous games in the same engine, which have never been the prettiest PC gaming has to offer. Saying "it's not as nice as this one game that happened to get released first" seems like an odd criticism. It's on a par with other similar games, but it's not the top and I'd be astonished if anyone expected it to be given the history of this engine. The Witcher 2 looked better than Skyrim as well, games vary in aesthetic quality rather than always being incremental improvements based on their exact release order.

I would point to MGS V or ARMA III or Sleeping Dogs or any of the cookie cutter games that Ubisoft vomits out yet still manage to look on par if not better than Fallout 4. Hell even no name indie fucks are doing open world that looks just as good, even if they might be smaller in scale. Even the STALKER games, now ancient by comparison, had a really complex lighting system that seems to dwarf anything in FO4.

Pretending that Bethesda games look all right just because they get all the blowjobs from clueless fans and game sites is retarded.

Bholder posted:

Main thing I noticed was that most open-world games nowadays load content as you go, sometimes literally removing things you don't see, but Bethesda seems really against this idea

MGS V lets you mark patrolling enemies and follow their movement all across the map so that argument falls flat on its face.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Bholder posted:

That's bullshit and you know it.

In what way

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Buff Butler posted:

Yes, they are made to do other things but the biggest mechanical impact they have is invisible % improvements to the skill effectiveness and dialogue checks already exist for perks across all 3 of the Beth-published Fallout titles. An extra 25% damage to bullets isn't any different in the end to raising your guns skill and getting 25% more damage to your gun for it, it's just a different packaging.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
One thing that is interesting about the perk system in fallout 4 is that you can take all the first level perks at level 1 if you build a character right. You need higher levels to take the 2nd and 3rd rank but if you have 10 in the right stat right at level one you can start ricocheting or animal friending or healing from solar power right from the start. You can't max the skill till 50 but it can be a thing you do right from level 1.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

I like the UI for when you're in power armor. It makes me hope that some crazy modder will make a V8 powered one complete with engine sound FX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

rap music posted:

You're comparing the graphics of an in game experience to a transcoded and compressed video.

This is an example of a poorly compressed video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBE_h2RjFk

This is still an accurate representation of what Armored Warfare looks like with the graphics settings arranged between mid and high. You can make informed judgments about the overall quality of the models, textures, lighting, animation, and effects. It is pretty good looking for a F2P game, but nothing amazing.

I think I can make an informed judgment on the lighting, models, textures, animation and effects of Fallout 4 based on officially released screenshots, the official trailer, and hours of streamed gameplay in which the streamer showed us his what his graphics are set at. The graphics are no bueno.

• Locked thread