Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
gently caress Kentucky so hard. What a bad beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So if Bevin won, Vitter definitely won?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, these things happen. I think I'll probably buy back in with like $50 tomorrow.

e: just for the record, that would be a total of $150 that I've put into the site, versus the $850 check I withdrew and am still burning my way through.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Vitter ain't for another 2 weeks

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

So if Bevin won, Vitter definitely won?

Polling shows Bitter down way more than Bevin was. I'm holding some of my No shares in the LA R gov market.

Didn't touch the KY one, thank god. RIP Kentucky.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Autocorrect changed Vitter, but I'm fine with that.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
This afternoon I showed PredictIt to my coworker and he was really interested in it. Unfortunately he's not a conservative rube, so you won't be able to bilk him out of money by taking the opposite side of the market. Fortunately, though, he does hail from Louisiana and gave me this hot tip: John Bel Edwards.

I was showing him the app on my phone and bought 5 shares of LA R No at 0.75 to demonstrate how it works. John Bel Edwards ride or die!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Tomato Burger posted:

This afternoon I showed PredictIt to my coworker and he was really interested in it. Unfortunately he's not a conservative rube, so you won't be able to bilk him out of money by taking the opposite side of the market. Fortunately, though, he does hail from Louisiana and gave me this hot tip: John Bel Edwards.

I was showing him the app on my phone and bought 5 shares of LA R No at 0.75 to demonstrate how it works. John Bel Edwards ride or die!

It looks like Republican NO is a bit cheaper than Democrat YES. I assume that this is the same bet? Seems pretty safe since Edwards is polling double digits ahead

Necc0 posted:

Yeah we finally have a healthy AM-radio population as well. Check out the comments in the debt ceiling market if you want to know who's money you were taking. Unfortunately I feel like long-term those sorts of people are going to disappear on their own because it's one thing to ignore being wrong about something it's entirely another when being consistently wrong is also costing you money.

Score one for the right wing talk radio crowd. I was caught off guard with the last poll of Carson coming in so high. But I look at this as a good thing that will sucker them in, confirm their world view only to lose more later, just as I had some early wins and my greed caused some steep losses. If they lose 100% of the time they won't keep playing. On this LA Governor race, I wonder how many talk radio people are just assume that a Republican deserves to win in all red states?

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Nov 4, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Okay, I think I figured out how to do poll markets. I'm going to buy in the day the polls are released at weird prices and sit on them until they return a slight profit, then sell. That way I can participate, not worry about ending polls and drop-offs, and usually sell out within the first few days. I've already sold half my poll shares from yesterday at about a 20% profit and feel comfortable waiting on swings to fulfill modest sell orders for the rest with 27 days left to go.

I'm not violating my instincts and ethics, I have a system with rules. And I only do cocaine on the weekends.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It looks like Republican NO is a bit cheaper than Democrat YES. I assume that this is the same bet? Seems pretty safe since Edwards is polling double digits ahead

Yep! I was initially going to buy D Yes, but since it is a 2-person runoff, R No is exactly the same bet, but cheaper.

The price of both are dropping right now, though...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You know it can be fun to play election results polls, even before they're close to happening:

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You know it can be fun to play election results polls, even before they're close to happening:

What site is that from?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tomato Burger posted:

What site is that from?

Mediapredict. It's mostly focused on predicting things like box office takes and ratings for shows, but they do politics stuff in election years.

And $1000 of site currency is $1 of real currency that you can withdraw - and there's no way to deposit. You start with $10,000 and must gain money through predicting correctly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Fox News poll is up, everyone is speculating on whether the CBS poll will drop. If so, chaos will reign in the debate markets. More so than usual, I mean.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Christ why am I still playing the debate polls. I just sold my Carson shares for what I paid to get out, I can't take it. Should still make a bit of money on Cruz No for the winner and Trump No for the loser.

edit: Bought back 25 shares of Carson winning the debate. But it's OK, I'm just going to play the fluctuations and make a little change. I can stop any time I want.

User Error has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Nov 5, 2015

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

railroad terror posted:

If I worked at RCP, I'd totally either have a PredictIt account or have somoene do it for me. It'd be too easy not to.

Also, man, Webb keeps making more and more and more noise. I have zero money in that market for whether or not he runs now, but all he has to do is file with the FEC.

My gut was right here

railroad terror posted:

There's undoubtedly a small risk with Conway. Polls are sometimes wrong (remember when Mongiardo nearly upset Bunning?) and it's KY, and it's off year, but holy crap Bevin is a bad candidate. It'd be VERY surprising if he went from 40-42 in the polls right now, and eked out a win with 46-47% of the vote (assuming the left-leaning independent takes 7-10% away from Conway).

And holy poo poo my gut was dead wrong here. That was an interesting week.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

from the Jeb! market:

quote:

if either Trump or Carson implodes though (I think one is certain to and likely both will) their combined 50% can drastically change the landscape. I'm seeing a long- drawn out primary battle with superdelegates ultimately pushing Bush to win. The same as they did for his brother when voters chose Gore and the superdelegate gave it to W

i hope this dude is like Ken M

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Who could forget the Supreme Court superdelegates?

Complete misunderstanding of how primaries work aside, a double full implosion by Carson and Trump at about the same time would blow the field up. More likely to happen though is first one the the other fade out, resulting in a far less dramatic upheaval of the field. JEB is still not likely to get anything from it unless Rubio is out though.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Can someone better explain hedging bets on PredictIt? Like, if I were to invest either way on various candidates on the "Who's Dropping Out Next?" market, how would I calculate what to invest on each of the candidates likeliest to drop out in order to avoid a loss, but still potentially make a profit?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

railroad terror posted:

Can someone better explain hedging bets on PredictIt? Like, if I were to invest either way on various candidates on the "Who's Dropping Out Next?" market, how would I calculate what to invest on each of the candidates likeliest to drop out in order to avoid a loss, but still potentially make a profit?

Your best bet in those big-field linked markets is to buy "No", never "Yes". That way you're guaranteed to make money on all but one, if not all of your contracts, and until the Linked Market system gets expanded beyond the Obama Approval market, Yes tends to be overpriced across the board.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Well the Fox Business Debate just shook up the next to drop out market, some interesting buys there as the swing dies down.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Nov 6, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Getting back into the next to drop market. Lots of orders going through right now.

Yes on Graham may be somewhat underweight, but this is shifting rapidly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vox Nihili posted:

Getting back into the next to drop market. Lots of orders going through right now.

Yes on Graham may be somewhat underweight, but this is shifting rapidly.

Given the reasons they're running, and the money involved I'd guess the field is probably going to shake out like this. Remember that scrub tier candidates with no money have some advantages in that they know they've got no money and are just in this for another reason or are already spending almost nothing on this.

_________________ Very little possibility of being the next official loser_________________

• Carson - Not dropping out while there's people to fleece

• Trump - Not dropping out while there's attention to be had/It looks like he's winning

• Rubio - Not dropping out while he's the fresh new hope of the establishment

• Cruz - Not dropping out just when it looks like his evil scheme is coming together

• Santorum - Not dropping out until the Iowa Caucus proves they don't love him anymore

• Graham - Not dropping out until he gets to kick Paul and maybe Cruz square in the nuts on national TV

• Paul - Not dropping out until daddy tells him it's time, because the Paul Fleece™ has reached it's 4 year limit
    _________________ In the running to pull a Walker_________________

• Bush - Not dropping out until he finally has a moment of honesty and realizes he's a failure, so probably like Iowa or New Hampshire

• Kasich - Not dropping out while he thinks he could become the new establishment pick

• Fiorina - Not dropping out while the other candidates are paying her to attack Hillary without it looking misogynistic

• Jindal - Not dropping out until his kids learn their lesson about misbehaving
    _________________ Most likely to join Perry and Walker's poker game for losers_________________

• Huckabee - Not dropping out until his snake oil money drops below his Fox News money

• Christie - Not dropping out until he faces the reality his only chance was 4 years ago

• Pataki - Not dropping out until someone actually realizes he's running
    _________________ Jim Webb, Does It Count If No One Even Knows You're Running Honorable Mention_________________

• Gilmore - I still don't even know his first name or have any idea what he looks like

Gyges has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Nov 6, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
You know reading that list and independently considering each of them I'd say most likely to drop out next would be a tie between Rand / Christie / Kasich. Most of the others are straight-charlatans and will run for as long as they can.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think Christie is the most likely because he's got no real reason to do this other than his ego and the memory of what winning would have tasted like last time. Kasich is still coming to terms with the fact that the base wants a comical monkey to do horrifying tricks for them. Rand is still stubbornly doing the Paul thing and loses nothing by continuing to run for President, so there's little real pressure for him to go. Unless he suddenly learns shame, but that holds true for most of the candidates.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I have money on the line for Rand to not be the next to drop out. Why would he? He knows he has zero chance of winning so it's all about carrying on the Paul tradition of running no chance quixotic campaigns so he can go to debates and talk about how wonderful the constitution is

If I had to guess it would be either Huckabee or Cristie because both of them actually thought they would win and Cristie still remembers people begging him to run 4 years ago.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gyges posted:

I think Christie is the most likely because he's got no real reason to do this other than his ego and the memory of what winning would have tasted like last time. Kasich is still coming to terms with the fact that the base wants a comical monkey to do horrifying tricks for them. Rand is still stubbornly doing the Paul thing and loses nothing by continuing to run for President, so there's little real pressure for him to go. Unless he suddenly learns shame, but that holds true for most of the candidates.

Yeah it'll probably either be Christie or one of the no-names

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If I had to guess it would be either Huckabee or Cristie because both of them actually thought they would win and Cristie still remembers people begging him to run 4 years ago.

Huckabee absolutely will not drop out until the gravy train stops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcAhXy9rARk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Christie is in at least through the next debate and its aftermath, his campaign will hope he makes a splash as the bi fish in the small pond. After that, who knows?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I have money on the line for Rand to not be the next to drop out. Why would he? He knows he has zero chance of winning so it's all about carrying on the Paul tradition of running no chance quixotic campaigns so he can go to debates and talk about how wonderful the constitution is

I think that last point might actually keep Christie around longer. If we start seeing some fringe guys drop out and one of the big two (Carson or Trump) has a meltdown then he's probably thinking he can make the case that he was a potential frontrunner a few years ago and you should totally back him now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't think anyone is dropping out before the next debate. Graham is only in this to stick it to Rand and Cruz, so he's not out. Christie and Huckabee are going to try and pull a Fiorino. Jindal and Pataki can't be spending much of anything on their campaigns and have already accepted that they're not going to be allowed at the cool kids table.

If anyone drops out before the next debate it would be Jeb finally coming to terms with his failure or Carson getting word from the secret chamber beneath the grain in the pyramids that god wants him out.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598

So the media has been turning up the pressure on all of Bennie's stories, and looks like hes starting to crack. Better start betting on a massive Carson drop. People are starting to figure our where all the bodies are buried.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Carson's done imo, even if it takes two months. The decline begins now.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
The 22%+ market already fell apart, I had bought NOs around 25 and now I'm wondering if I should sell off at 65, which I'm sure is the ceiling for now, or stick to my guns and wait until the end of the month when it's up at 99.

He might survive this because it's on a Friday, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

watwat posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598

So the media has been turning up the pressure on all of Bennie's stories, and looks like hes starting to crack. Better start betting on a massive Carson drop. People are starting to figure our where all the bodies are buried.

To be fair the exact same thing happened to Palin and it only made her followers more supportive. Horrible optics for the general but we're in total bizzaro world with this primary. I've given up trying to make heads or tails of things.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Necc0 posted:

To be fair the exact same thing happened to Palin and it only made her followers more supportive. Horrible optics for the general but we're in total bizzaro world with this primary. I've given up trying to make heads or tails of things.

I've been quiet in part because there are no real markets I feel like I know for sure will provide a good payoff anymore. :( But I'll wait and watch.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

The 22%+ market already fell apart, I had bought NOs around 25 and now I'm wondering if I should sell off at 65, which I'm sure is the ceiling for now, or stick to my guns and wait until the end of the month when it's up at 99.

He might survive this because it's on a Friday, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I just sold my Carson NO into this spike. I only wish I had more than 25 of them. I would, or sell half of them if you have a lot.

I see that sometimes the markets overshoot short term so I'm going to see if I can pick up some YES in the low 30's for a quick bump.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I haven't made any bets since Webb. Nothing I really feel confident in for now.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The only thing I've invested anything into recently was Julian Castro VP yes. Everything else is tied up in long-term shares :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I put a decent size bet down on Carson's Iowa performance being less than the market, because he's pretty much peaked.

Edit: Specifically my thing is Ben Carson doing less than 23.69% at the Iowa Caucuses

Nintendo Kid has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Nov 6, 2015

• Locked thread