Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Blood Bowl 2 is already 33% off? uhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

Yup that's live

Wowie

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Is there a beginners guide or a team tier list?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Fumbbl's got a fairly good beginners guide, and other helpful things. There's no official tier list, and it's a long tiresome argument, but Plasmoids has crunched a few numbers which I'll take as gospel for sake of brevity. Prelf and Welf are the best agi team, Undead and Nec the best bash team. For a new coach I'd really recommend playing Orcs though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lame Devil posted:

In general most teams are on the same level except for stunty teams(Gobbos, halflings, underworld(ish)) and teams full of negatrait(Vampires, Ogres)
Orcs and humans are the two do a little bit of everything teams, so they're generally recommended to new players to the point of being the teams that came in the original board game box.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Dark Elves are great once you get a bit of the game under your belt, but they can teach you bad habits if you think everyone can dodge willy nilly.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Lame Devil posted:

Blood Bowl 2‘s campaign mode is actually a pretty good learning experience. First match, the only characteristic is Movement, and blocks automatically work. Just got to get used to moving pieces and making stuff fall over. Then in another match it adds in block dice. Then it adds in tackle zones. Then it adds in injuries. Then it adds in skills. Then it adds in turnovers on failed actions (previously you could just keep playing). Finally it adds in the time limits on turns now you've warmed up. Along the way it also introduced stuff like buying players, rerolls etc.

If BB2 is going to be your starting point, campaign mode is what you'd want first.

There's a surprising amount of good video content on YouTube for this game too. The stuff by CKnoor is worth seeking out.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Blood Bowl 2‘s campaign mode is actually a pretty good learning experience. First match, the only characteristic is Movement, and blocks automatically work. Just got to get used to moving pieces and making stuff fall over. Then in another match it adds in block dice. Then it adds in tackle zones. Then it adds in injuries. Then it adds in skills. Then it adds in turnovers on failed actions (previously you could just keep playing). Finally it adds in the time limits on turns now you've warmed up. Along the way it also introduced stuff like buying players, rerolls etc.

If BB2 is going to be your starting point, campaign mode is what you'd want first.

There's a surprising amount of good video content on YouTube for this game too. The stuff by CKnoor is worth seeking out.

I have heard the EXACT opposite. I heard it was terrible because it removes mechanics, teaches bad habits, and doesn't explain why things are doing what they are.

On top of that it throws bullshit scripting into the mix like that crashed copter on the pitch.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have heard the EXACT opposite. I heard it was terrible because it removes mechanics, teaches bad habits, and doesn't explain why things are doing what they are.

On top of that it throws bullshit scripting into the mix like that crashed copter on the pitch.

As to the first point, it's like 6 or 7 games to get to the "playing for real" stage, hardly enough time to get into bad habits. With as many mechanics as Blood Bowl has, experienced players forget just how intimidating it can be at the start. You can literally get a turnover on your very first action if you don't know what you are doing. Imagine that, as a new player, moving one piece or trying one block and bam, you fail and now get to watch your opponent's team knock all your dudes over. Easing people in one concept at a time is a well established concept that lets people get used to one new part of the game at a time.

It's far from perfect, and doesn't go way far enough to explain why half the stuff is done, but it's a good starting point for players with zero prior experience. I think most of the complaints are from the "in my day, uphill both ways in't snow etc" types who forget this game has a real loving learning curve to it.

As to the second point, the campaign is a once and done thing. A full third of the matches are tutorials, I've done the second third where I've been playing against weaker teams (a continuation of the tutorial/ease new players in deal) and the scripted events are FUN. Dunno why people would want to tut about a campaign which you'd play just once, and which is entirely optional, for adding in some goofy poo poo like the commentator joining the player's team for a half. That was great, and I had Bob Bifford piling onto orcs and it was a unique thing that will never happen in another Blood Bowl match ever again.

It's Blood Bowl, and not a game to be taken seriously. That's not fun, and I'm a funhaver.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Parkingtigers posted:

It's Blood Bowl, and not a game to be taken seriously. That's not fun, and I'm a funhaver.

You can't play in here, this is the game room.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
To be clear I'm not against the fun aspect and I CERTAINLY don't fall in the camp that believes new players should learn by being dragged behind a truck. That exact thing is why the community's tiny and most potential players don't make it past their first match. My main concern was that it was teaching the game incomplete and mainly didn't give the reasoning behind the rolls/rules/etc. That said, I don't own BB2 yet (it's in my Steam cart right now) and haven't played the campaign myself.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The campaign is not only rear end because it teaches bad habits, it's rear end because it takes about 7 hours of play before it introduces the mechanic the entire game is based around (turnovers).

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Parkingtigers posted:

As to the first point, it's like 6 or 7 games to get to the "playing for real" stage, hardly enough time to get into bad habits.

The problem is that every game, no matter how much you rush through it, is gonna be like 45 minutes to an hour. So 6 or 7 games is not a small time investment.

I played through the entire campaign and it was awful the whole way through. The AI is idiotic, many of the later matches have stupid gimmicks that you have to focus on more than actually playing the game (Surf 2 Witch Elves, inflict 3 CAS on orcs, outpass those pro elves, play around this friggen crashed helicopter thing that will glitch out and not actually appear on the field so you can't see it but if you at any point try to enter the squares where it's supposed to be then the game will freak out and crash).

And the second to last game has the most ridiculous gimmick - you get poisoned by the Dark Elf team with something that changes all your stats. The problem with this is that it negatively affects one stat and positively affects another stat - meaning that I ended up with an Ogre who had -AV and +AGI and by that I mean he had AV 6 and AGI 6. One of my Blitzers had 7 STR and only lost some movement for it. One of my Catchers had 11 MA and sure he was down to 1 STR but who loving cared. It was kind of funny in its own stupid way, but it was pointless. It made the game confusing but also piss easy and I can't imagine what a brand new player would be thinking in that game.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Those sound fun as hell actually. I've only played like 4 games into the single player, but I actually enjoy the writing of Jim and Bob.

"Hey you, goblin. Say something racist against elves.... Oh it's not the same with out Bob."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blood Bowl just wouldn't be Blood Bowl without Jim & Bob.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Anyone else playing this on ps4?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Here's another update from my Amazon team designed to make you hate it and eventually rejoice when I report that three of my best players died in one match:

Today, I had two decent enough matches against Pro Elves and Halflings, where I inflicted a ton of casualties, though I tied both of them when I could have won them through some sloppy play. Oh well, I'll take a tie. But what really took the cake was the third game against Khemri. Khemri that were about 200TV lower than my team. Somewhat predictably, I proceeded to dodge all over their faces and laugh when their ballhandling caused any kind of problem. Highlights of the match:

- The star player the Khemri brought falling over on a GFI on the first turn, leaving them wide open for me to do the thing where I run all my dodgy players into the middle of their field and pressure the poo poo out of the ball. This would set the tone for the rest of the game, as I would do that pretty much every time the Khemri received the ball.
- Mikan (5 AG Blitzer) making three dodges, one out of three tackle zones, a pickup in a tackle zone, then two GFIs for the score. AG5 is loving sweet.
- After removing one Thro-Ra from the game (with a -MV injury), the second one would end up stunned two times on two separate Pitch Invasions. That was just sad.
- Toko (Accurate Thrower) making a perfect Long Bomb from midfield to endzone for a score. I actually set the play up with that bomb in mind, so it was great to see it actually work out.
- Syo (star Catcher with Sidestep, Blodge and now Leap) working with some other team members to crack open the cage, get a 2DB shot at the ballcarrier Thro-Ra, having the ball scatter into the endzone, outside of any tackle zones, then making an easy dodge and pickup for another score. While I was thinking about what to do on that turn, I just had that line going through my head - "...hey me. ...I can score from here."
- Generally, a lot of ultra-hot dodging action, particularly with Mikan. It took until turn 13 for me to have my first turnover due to a failed dodge, and there were many, MANY dodges.

Really, watching GNU's LP has had quite the impact in me taking up the Ways of the Elf, even though I'm only playing the Diet Elf team, and I'm having a great time. Of course, that means that the part where everything goes wrong will hurt that much more.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jade Star posted:

Those sound fun as hell actually. I've only played like 4 games into the single player, but I actually enjoy the writing of Jim and Bob.

"Hey you, goblin. Say something racist against elves.... Oh it's not the same with out Bob."

They are fun as hell. I really don't get the complaint about the side objectives. When you have a 1400 TV and you're up against a 1000 TV team you've got enough of an advantage to focus on removing (KO, cas, or crowdsurfing) 3 witch elves. I'd argue that focusing on removing specific players from a match is a key Blood Bowl skill so this still counts as training.

I too like Jim and Bob though, and I've fully bought into embracing the madness of this game.

Wolfy posted:

Anyone else playing this on ps4?

I am!

Any PS4 players can add ParkingtigersX on PSN and if you ever catch me online we'll have to see about having a match, or setting up a mini league/competition. I'm terrible, you'll have great fun beating me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think everyone should just learn the way I learned. By having Iretep crush me over and over until my stupid brain started actually knowing what the gently caress to do.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Does no one read the rule book any more? Like my first games were pick up matches against goons after I knew the rules. That's really all you need.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
How on earth can it take someone 15 seconds to decide whether they're following up a block or not.

EDIT: Getting diced to death is even worse when the dude takes the full time on every action. If that happens repeatedly it should just make him forfeit for being a oval office.

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 5, 2015

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is anyone using BB 2 having problems connecting to the servers on PS4? I've had to play offline because of it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The BB2 campaign AI is the dumbest. If it were any dumber it'd appear in the next Republican candidates' debate. I'm in the rematch against the Gouged Eye, and it's a proper old school punch-up in the middle of the pitch. Half my team is KO'd, so is a quarter of theirs. Manage to hold them to 0-0 at half time somehow, then I'm on offence. I make a beautiful long pass from my accurate thrower to my diving catcher, only trouble is it's a turn or two premature and all the orcs pound that catcher into the grass. Their thrower scoops it up and their cage starts the long trek up the field. I harrass the flanks of this cage all the way up the pitch losing 2 players to every one of theirs. With 3 turns left all their thrower has to do is sprint for it. But he doesn't. Two turns left and he's got a clear run at the endzone but he swings into the middle to re-cage. One turn left and the only way he can claim a TD is with two GFI rolls (and no team rerolls left). I'll never know if he would have succeeded because on turn 16 the AI is throwing one die blocks first which resulted in a turnover and extra time.

It benefitted me as I won in extra time, but that extra time shouldn't have happened. Ah well, that's what real opponents are for I guess.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Cyanide has a history of making really loving stupid AI for BB.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Does no one read the rule book any more? Like my first games were pick up matches against goons after I knew the rules. That's really all you need.

Ya, no one is going to read an 80 page rulebook rofl.

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is anyone using BB 2 having problems connecting to the servers on PS4? I've had to play offline because of it.

I believe because of the messed up patch ps4 users have to delete and reinstall so as to revert to the older version. Look on the official forums for more info.

Also draft patch notes are up on Cyanide's forum. Biggest news: they plan on making Juggernaut optional.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

KyloWinter posted:

Ya, no one is going to read an 80 page rulebook rofl.

I don't think anybody is saying to read and take notes on every page of the rule book but surprise blood bowl is a tabletop game with some fairly esoteric rules and trying to walk in without knowing the specific rules and concepts can make the game confusing. Knowing the rules of Hail Mary Pass is not important for your first match but the rule book does actually lay out the structure of the game. Consulting the book during online play is hard because of time limits but I definitely pulled up the book watching other people play because I didn't know something. There's also a wealth of goons in IRC or in this thread who are willing to help explain stuff.

There are videos of people trying to play blood bowl without reading the rules or with no prior knowledge of the game and they get confused by what the block dice are, how strength scores constitute how many block dice to roll, tackle zones in general, and why you can't run up to a guy and punch him more than once a turn, let alone concepts like team building, position or strategy. If you play blood bowl you should know about two turning or the 2-1 grind but how the hell are you going to learn about it unless you play a bunch of matches and start to realize the trends, or just ask/read.

I've dabbled with trying to write introductions to blood bowl concepts and it's just not easy. I even remember making like a flow chart to try to answer the "I'm new what races should I play as" question

Luckily when there's only 8 teams that gets a bit easier.

E- also I know you were just using 80 pages to make a point but most of the rule book is just text description for teams and skills and star players and inducements and poo poo

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If you're having fun just running your orks around and stomping on faces go ahead, I'm not trying to take that joy from you, but for the people who actually want to learn to get gud at game, skimming through the rule book should seem like a no brainier

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GNU Order posted:

I've dabbled with trying to write introductions to blood bowl concepts and it's just not easy. I even remember making like a flow chart to try to answer the "I'm new what races should I play as" question

here's one

q1) is winning or doing stupid stuff more fun to you
a1) winning -> go to q2
a2) doing stupid stuff -> play goblins first

q2) what sounds most appealing to you: bashing someone's face in, pulling off a totally bullshit play to win at the last second, or do you have no idea?
a1) bashing -> play orcs
a2) bullshit play -> play wood elves
a3) no idea -> play humans

eof, the biggest thing with blood bowl is just to play the drat game. people psych themselves out way too bad with it, it's a little like chess or go in that respect. people get all up in their heads with chess or go that they're not masters that can see 15 movements into the future and essentially beat themselves before they even start. same with blood bowl, people get all up in their heads that they don't know what is best and the reality is that nobody does. all you can do is put someone's feet on the path and then tell them to walk it. trying to map out the path for them is a fool's errand.

obviously you need ways to answer questions as they come up, which is what fellow players and rule books are for, but basically all of you guys are right. 80 pages is way too goddamn much to get started, even 8 is pushing it honestly. a campaign that tosses in a bunch of stuff that isn't relevant to playing the normal game sucks as a tutorial. bb1 actually had a half decent tutorial where jim and bob told you the basics. you didn't get all the spergy chance discussions but guess what you don't need that to start coaching a team. go ruin a few teams with your terrible coaching, it's fine. the pieces do not have feelings and at absolute worst you simply won't talk about those experiences. at best you'll gently caress up in some spectacular and hilarious way and it'll make a great story.

one of the best pieces of advice i got when i was learning go was 'lose your first 100 games quickly.' it teaches you the basic patterns of go and teaches you how not to lose your loving head every time things don't go well for you. blood bowl's similar. you should just start playing and incompetently murder your first 10 players quickly. it will teach you what killed those players so you can not do that, and will also teach you exactly how little an individual player matters and how life goes on for the team after a bad game.

unless you're yapo and gave all the SPP to a single runner in a very public league lololololololol

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

koolaidconvoy posted:

I believe because of the messed up patch ps4 users have to delete and reinstall so as to revert to the older version. Look on the official forums for more info.

Also draft patch notes are up on Cyanide's forum. Biggest news: they plan on making Juggernaut optional.

The patch is messed up? I just played a couple more campaign matches offline while I sorted my internet connection, wanted to go online afterwards to be told my client version doesn't match the servers, which was odd as I had just patched to 1.03. While offline I can't access my league team which I have in an AI tournament because it's all stored server side. Huh. Cyanide are kind of weird then eh?

Edit: I braved the official forums, and yeah it seems the PS4 version is a burning dumpster right now. Redownloading a PS4 game to fix things. i've never had to do that before. Wow.

GNU Order posted:

If you're having fun just running your orks around and stomping on faces go ahead, I'm not trying to take that joy from you, but for the people who actually want to learn to get gud at game, skimming through the rule book should seem like a no brainier

There are two crowds who will come into digital BB though. The first, those who already know it's a boardgame adaptation and are prepared for its quirks. The second, videogamers who just see NFL with monsters. The latter group aren't expecting to need to read a really long rulebook before they can start playing. Why would they? Over 99% of games don't require an entrance exam, and it's expected that there would be adequate tutorials on even the basics.

Yeah people should read the rulebook for a boardgame. Once it's moved to another medium there should be better ways to ease in new players than RTFM. Even just a good tutorial video linked via the game interface would be a great start. An experienced player talking newbies through the basics of why we do the poo poo we do.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 5, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I haven't played or seen the tutorial so correct me if I'm wrong here

I'm sure the fine people of cyandie studios sat down one day and said (in French) "How do we teach these Madden playing dummies, or normal, non-autism-spectrum dummies how to play warham football?" Some people have said that they found the tutorial to be useful and I bet people with no point of reference will find it more useful than pouring through a player's guide. A lot of the people with complaints about the tutorial itt are looking back on it after already knowing how the game works.

Because we're posting in this thread we are all somewhere on the spectrum so we would like to take the next step and learn to get actually better at the game, but Cyanide doesn't seem to care about advancing people past the barrier to entry stage and shipping them out into the world. If you're a bad, only playing other bads, the game can still be a blast.

There are simple ways to teach concepts, like setting up a scenario (your thrower has the ball at your end zone, get the ball to the other end zone by passing and handing off) which can teach these concepts, but that requires effort.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The single player campaign is sort of a tutorial at first. It starts out really dumb. Pick up ball, run forward, score. The next game it introduces block dice, the next agility related things, then turn overs, then armor and injuries, etc. Its a nice attempt and slowly adding one more new thing each game. It could be really useful to a new player, i dont know, as a vet i just laughed at the stages where there weren't turn overs and did all the BS i could think of cause hey, failing that 4+ dodge aint a turn over.

Seriously though, if new coaches don't at least skim the manual and pick up the basics before playing multiplayer, it's on them.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jade Star posted:

Cyanide has a history of making really loving stupid AI for BB.

No one at that office even knows how to play the game at all. The way the AI plays in BB:CE it seems like he literally went and read a FAQ about caging started working on getting it programmed in, and then gave up halfway through.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 5, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

poo poo Cyanide Claims To Be Working On posted:

Dice log history during the matches
• Juggernaut skill optional on "Both Down "
• Players placement phase accelerated (teleportation)
• Access to rosters during the inducements
• Option to display Player's names during the match
• Display the players missing the next game on the roster page
• Search tool for the replays
• Add more replays in Cabal TV (all those of the last 10 days)
• Option to change the options of an active league
• Option to display the grid during a match
• Reconnection to a match after a crash (PC only)
• Display fame and gold roll at the end of a match
• Server news displayed on the home page
• When buying players, display the price of a reroll
• Detailed stats for each player
• Option to validate a match in multiplayer competition (Round Robin, Knockout) without a commissioner
• Option to disable Jim & Bob subtitles
• Level up available for a team displayed on the shield of the team

Maybe they're actually listening? :shrug:

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
I they really do all that, I think everyone complaining about the lack of teams should just buy the game. because that is real proof of working to improve.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yeah that's pretty much the whole list of what I want them to do other than "have more teams"

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I have Blood Bowl Chaos Edition. I love football and warhammer. Should I pick up Blood Bowl 2 for PC? Worth it at 33% off?

TIA

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So since I liked lizards a bunch, I figured I'd try to give chaos as a full bashy team a try (because gently caress dwarves).

Me: "Oh hey, against wood elves. So let's see, try to pummel them good and proper in the first half, so I outnumber them in the second."

Nuffle: "Yeah, nah."

Seriously, during the first half the guy was getting more armour breaks per block than I did. On the second half that equalised a bit, but being outnumbered for long stretches I couldn't really make very many of those stick and ended up losing 2:0. Also a record 6 doubleskulls for me.

Alright Nuffle, I'll go back to the filthy elves where I belong. Elfball best ball :downs:

VVVV Lying around on the ground. Several turns ended with either of us (mostly me) managing to blitz free the ball, but unable to actually pick it up afterwards. VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 5, 2015

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
What happened in that game with the ball? There's only 57% ball possession accounted for on the stat screen there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

LLJKSiLk posted:

I have Blood Bowl Chaos Edition. I love football and warhammer. Should I pick up Blood Bowl 2 for PC? Worth it at 33% off?

TIA

No, not enough teams yet.

• Locked thread