Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lurdiak posted:

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Hobo Phoenix is a neat visual design but his personality is like a combination of all my least favorite anime character tropes. All that was missing was him constantly pushing up his glasses while smirking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He's not smirking while doing that, though. He's scowling, much better.

Also hobo Phoenix was excellent for case 1 imo, outside of being annoyingly secretive.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My biggest annoyance with that case was the fact that Phoenix literally forged evidence and used it in a court of law. He used Apollo just to do it, even. Even if you ignore how out of character he is in the rest of the game, I could never see Phoenix doing that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kajeesus posted:

See? His hand is smirking.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Kristoph is a creepy guy. I wonder if he'll come back in AA6. Maybe as the final boss for Apollo in Japanifornia.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would be wrong if a guilty person were found innocent because someone was threatening to gank the judge's kid

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Naturally, stall tactics in real life scenarios are scummy, but I think there's a bit of suspension of disbelief to have for a universe like this.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Professor Layton vs. Kristoph Gavin.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apollo does some of Kristoph's animations in the last DD case and quotes him verbatim once. It's really creepy, like Edgeworth dressed like Manfred in that flashback case in AA3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it was a neat reminder that while Apollo was taken in by Phoenix early on and ends up a cool guy, he was trained by a big ol' scumbag. What would have happened to Apollo if Phoenix hadn't been his first client?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Did they ever explain Kristoph's black psyche locks in Apollo Justice? I don't remember that being resolved, but it's been years since I've touched that game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They showed up in AA5 as repressed memories, so the closest I could guess for Kristoph is that he knew, but couldn't admit to himself, that he did everything for incredibly petty reasons.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How much of a crime is it that I have still not seen the Ace Attorney movie

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Um, obviously that's what Kristoph is there for, mouthbreather.

But yeah, misworded that. I was referring the whole thing where videogame characters seem to become much better when you're not using them rather than Hobo Phoenix being a better character than Attorney Phoenix. Specifically Hobo Phoenix's absurd levels of competence and general steamrolling of Kristoph Gavin compared to constantly going "That sentence sounds slightly dubious! Time to present a piece of evidence to bullshit my way to a Not Guilty verdict!". I can kind of see how people would dislike that level of competence since it's bull in a completely different way, but it's not like "My dead mentor came back from the dead through her little sister to help me" or "My dead mentor came back from the dead through her little sister's kid cousin to help me" are really way better, and it made for a pretty amazing Case 1.

AJ is right up there with trials and tribulations for having the best case 1 in the series.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would be wrong if a guilty person were found innocent because someone was threatening to gank the judge's kid

Legal defence providing a good-faith effort to defend their client is a cornerstone of modern justice. I don't really mind given it was Ace Attorney and as you say there's bigger things going on, but it was still pretty funny and kinda weird how Ray goes in with the express purpose of his client being found guilty

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Apollo does some of Kristoph's animations in the last DD case and quotes him verbatim once. It's really creepy, like Edgeworth dressed like Manfred in that flashback case in AA3.

Wait what was this Kristoph quote that Apollo said?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kajeesus posted:

Also hobo Phoenix was excellent for case 1 imo, outside of being annoyingly secretive.

Case 1 of Apollo Justice is a very good opening to a game filled with nothing but disappointment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked Hobo Phoenix in the sense that it's a Phoenix consumed with getting the sweetest revenge ever. Like...man, if Phoenix were an evil man he'd be downright terrifying.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Raxivace posted:

Wait what was this Kristoph quote that Apollo said?

In a court of law, evidence is everything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Legal defence providing a good-faith effort to defend their client is a cornerstone of modern justice. I don't really mind given it was Ace Attorney and as you say there's bigger things going on, but it was still pretty funny and kinda weird how Ray goes in with the express purpose of his client being found guilty

Same deal as the last case in JFA. I dunno, the series can't decide whether it wants that, or like in this last game with the Athena trial, whether it wants both sides to go all out with everything until whatever remains must be the truth.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Geniasis posted:

Same deal as the last case in JFA. I dunno, the series can't decide whether it wants that, or like in this last game with the Athena trial, whether it wants both sides to go all out with everything until whatever remains must be the truth.

JFA handled it with much more grace. First off, Phoenix was being blackmailed into taking the case at all, which not cool and a violation of the attorney-client relationship in itself. Secondly, Phoenix still ends up legitimately defending Engarde and can even enter a Not Guilty plea at the end, he's just help set up a situation where his client willingly incriminates himself in a crafty turnabout on his own blackmail. Whilst I'm not sure how that would hold up in a scholarly legal ethics debate, it's written with alot more thought than Ray's 'I don't wanna!'

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I could actually defend the client to the end, but for some reason he wanted to go to jail, can't do anything about that, oh well. I didn't play Investigation spinoff, though.

Also, both the premise and the actual going-ons of the Cosmic Turnaround are insane, I can't wait to see just how far Blackquill's case will be from the truth. And the Apollo will triumphantly arrive with forged evidence, all "OBJECTION"-like, and Phoenix will just grin and say that he had already won, calm down, kid.

Merely speculation on my part, but I suspect that the second rocket will play a major role, perhaps even being the place where the crime took place? time will tell.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You should play Investigations 2 though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Both Investigations are good yet flawed.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

You should play Investigations 2 though.

Is it good? Looking it up I can only find Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, and "Investigations 2" just brings up some manga. What's the full name of AAI 2?

Edit: actually, I think I've played the beginning of the Edgeworth game and stopped after the first or the second case, it's worn me down with the endless stream of hints or logic analyses - I don't think it's a game for me, even though the plot seemed to get somewhere interesting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Szurumbur posted:

Is it good? Looking it up I can only find Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, and "Investigations 2" just brings up some manga. What's the full name of AAI 2?

Edit: actually, I think I've played the beginning of the Edgeworth game and stopped after the first or the second case, it's worn me down with the endless stream of hints or logic analyses - I don't think it's a game for me, even though the plot seemed to get somewhere interesting.

Investigations 1 is mostly mediocre.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is arguably the best game in the franchise.

It's not out in the west and probably never will, though. You'll have to download a translation patch.

EDIT: VVV That much is true, unfortunately. You could possibly follow a walkthrough to get through some of the more stupid cases in Investigations a bit more quickly.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You should probably play the first one if you're gonna play the second one. It kinda assumes you know some characters/events pretty hard.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'll probably look up a longplay of of AAI:ME then, I don't really feel like playing it again :effort:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

AAI had some really cool characters and plot points but was marred by tedious, uninteresting gameplay and the wet fart of a protagonist that is Edgeworth

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It also had some of the weirdest contradictions in the franchise, like that thing about the number of kidnappers.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

And a final boss that goes on and on

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like AAI1 more than Apollo Justice, but it's one of the weaker entries. AAI2 however is one of the best.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AAI2 posits that the root cause of the entire series was a baking competition, which is fantastic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

How much of a crime is it that I have still not seen the Ace Attorney movie

It kinda sucks, from what I can tell. The First Turnabout ends with Mia solving the case instead of Phoenix for some reason, and Redd White is not Redd White. At all.

Szurumbur posted:

That's because AAI2 is more commonly referred to as Gyakuten Kenji 2. The full name for the patch is AAI2 Prosecutor's Path.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Calico Heart posted:

AAI had some really cool characters and plot points but was marred by tedious, uninteresting gameplay and the wet fart of a protagonist that is Edgeworth
Eh, I didn't like Edgeworth much in the main series, but he grew on me a lot in Investigations. But I also think that AA fans tend to exaggerate how interesting Phoenix is compared to everyone else, so what do I know?

My main problem with AAI1 is pacing - the first several cases are out of order, and the second and third cases are slow as poo poo. It gets better after that until the final boss, which takes forever and a day. AAI2 fixes the pacing issues, but occassionally swings too far in the opposite direction by making certain bosses too short. It also hammers its theme into your head a lot more bluntly than AAI1 does. I'd say 2 is a better game than 1 overall, but it's not without its problems.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Ace Attorney movie drastically changes the tone of the game, but it's worth watching at least once. It has its flaws, but I liked it well enough.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

At the very least it's fun to watch their interpretation of presenting evidence during court. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIi44sSQCDs

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ChaosArgate posted:

At the very least it's fun to watch their interpretation of presenting evidence during court. :allears:

So this is where Athena got the idea.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

I think I have to watch this

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Haifisch posted:

My main problem with AAI1 is pacing - the first several cases are out of order, and the second and third cases are slow as poo poo. It gets better after that until the final boss, which takes forever and a day. AAI2 fixes the pacing issues, but occassionally swings too far in the opposite direction by making certain bosses too short. It also hammers its theme into your head a lot more bluntly than AAI1 does. I'd say 2 is a better game than 1 overall, but it's not without its problems.

On the topic of AAI, I couldn't really get into the game because Case 1 is the second to last case chronologically. It really killed my interest to know that at the beginning of the game I was chronologically closer to the end of the mystery and had to keep going back in time to know everything Edgeworth did. Not to mention that it kills any semblance of tension.

On the topic of AAI2, the topic of father/son relationships was hamfisted, but it was done in such a corny way that I couldn't help but laugh when the final bit of evidence was a flower representing the bond between father and son. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the topic of AAI, I couldn't really get into the game because Case 1 is the second to last case chronologically. It really killed my interest to know that at the beginning of the game I was chronologically closer to the end of the mystery and had to keep going back in time to know everything Edgeworth did. Not to mention that it kills any semblance of tension.

I wish they'd stop doing that, because they clearly write these things as they go along. AA5 has the same problem, where Athena gets frightened of Payne in case one, even though she already took on (and won against!) Blackquill sometime before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, that case did end with her being psychologically attacked by Means. Blackquill is also someone she likes and trusts. Payne was just a jerk who gets off on picking on people.

However, I do understand your point and I agree whole-heartedly. The weirdest thing about that case for me, though, was how Juniper display a lot more confidence in Case 3, but is barely able to function in Case 1 without having a nervous breakdown.

• Locked thread