Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Fanzay posted:

Am I right in guessing that White Rat does not have tomes and grimoires? It seems too short for that.

Also: gently caress that mission.

It definitely has a Grimoire. Go around the wall where the stairs go down, hop over 2 pillars and go up into the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Fanzay posted:

Am I right in guessing that White Rat does not have tomes and grimoires? It seems too short for that.

Also: gently caress that mission.

There is one grimoire at the beginning, before you see any rats, but that's it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
If you look at the map, the shield around a mission means it has some number of grimoires/tomes.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I guess I just got learnt! Thanks, thread.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

moths posted:

Goblin fanatic would make Rogre look like a little fat baby.

The only unit more prone to killing teammates than the average Skaven kit. Because I totally didn't regularly use my own units as lightning rods to kill a chaos knight or two or something.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

moths posted:

Goblin fanatic would make Rogre look like a little fat baby.

an actual ogre would make us weep. Especially if he has a cannon hand.

E:

Started playing the dwarf really liking the axes they're fun to cut people up with.

His shotgun is pretty amazing minus the no armor pen.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 5, 2015

Aunt Teefa
Mar 17, 2015

Oh man I got these orange dual pistols that don't need ammo for the dwarf? Goddamn those are fun! Mage dwarf from afar and choppy dwarf up close. Goty

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

lol u poz bro posted:

Oh man I got these orange dual pistols that don't need ammo for the dwarf? Goddamn those are fun! Mage dwarf from afar and choppy dwarf up close. Goty

drakefire pistols are basically the best thing since strong beer for a dwarf, since they still gently caress up specials at a reasonably far range, but they can be used freely to thin out hordes or pull waiting rats to you since you don't have to give a poo poo about ammo.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Help me understand the RatOgres, because I feel like they always take far too long to take down.

I'm using powered attacks on them, trying to hit them in the head, but it doesn't seem to do jackshit. Neither does shooting them in the face from up close with a blue Blunderbuss.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Powered attacks aren't necessarily the best DPS for a weapon. In fact most weapons do far more DPS windmilling away with click attacks. The Rapier being a notable exception to that.

Also don't bother trying to go for headshots unless you're using something like Dual Daggers with the Headshot trait., it's just asking to get punted. Stand behind them and just stab away until it dies.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

Help me understand the RatOgres, because I feel like they always take far too long to take down.

I'm using powered attacks on them, trying to hit them in the head, but it doesn't seem to do jackshit. Neither does shooting them in the face from up close with a blue Blunderbuss.

Strength potions and bombs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Rat Ogres DO take a long time to take down. The basic thing is that whomever it is looking at needs to back away, put their guard up, and try to dodge any attacks. Everyone else needs to hit it in the butt as hard as they can, and as fast as they can.

That's the basic. The issue is that Rat Ogres actively induce a horde event shortly after they go active, and will do so again if they are up too long. So really what you should be doing is designating two teams of two. One to sit on the rat ogre and keep it busy, the other team to handle the incoming flood of clan and slave rats. After the little rats are sorted out, the horde team can jump on the ogre too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think I've noticed why the fire swords mess me up a little with Sienna.

I think their attacks slow down if you're heavily overcharged. The timing seems to become more sluggish. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

SlyFrog posted:

If you're using the Soldier, put the Blunderbuss away, you're just tickling it with that piece of poo poo. Primary attack on the soldier's hammer hits harder, charged on his sword, otherwise just whack him with rapid clicking until he falls over. If you have a WH, strength potion and mag dumping with his pistols does a lot to the rat ogre too. Supposedly the swift bow/hagbane bow do a lot with this setup too. Haven't really had an excuse to try though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Ok, this is because you are doing it wrong. Powered attacks are not helpful in general for rat ogres, they are not armored. You want to go for maximum damage. However, the main thing is that it really is a team effort. Whoever has aggro really shouldn't be trying to do any significant damage, just blocking or dodging. The other 3 players should be rushing up behind the ogre and pummeling it with fast strikes. Using a strength potion and tossing grenades does a lot of damage, and will stagger it for a bit.

As BW: use strength potion and go up to full overheat dumping fire into the ogre, then rush in for melee. Try to keep the ogre burning as much as possible, as this has a significant effect.
As WH: use whatever potion and dump all ammo from dual pistols into it right at the beginning. This is worth the tradeoff in potential health lost. Maybe save a few bullets for some packmaster emergency.
All other classes just block/dodge and wail on his back. If everyone is doing their part it should go down fairly quickly.

Edit: Also, as stated above, keeping an eye on clearing normal rats is an important role as well. BW can do this fairly well with fire, but depends on map and location how this ends up playing out.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 5, 2015

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Skandranon posted:

Ok, this is because you are doing it wrong. Powered attacks are not helpful in general for rat ogres, they are not armored. You want to go for maximum damage. However, the main thing is that it really is a team effort. Whoever has aggro really shouldn't be trying to do any significant damage, just blocking or dodging. The other 3 players should be rushing up behind the ogre and pummeling it with fast strikes. Using a strength potion and tossing grenades does a lot of damage, and will stagger it for a bit.

As BW: use strength potion and go up to full overheat dumping fire into the ogre, then rush in for melee. Try to keep the ogre burning as much as possible, as this has a significant effect.
As WH: use whatever potion and dump all ammo from dual pistols into it right at the beginning. This is worth the tradeoff in potential health lost. Maybe save a few bullets for some packmaster emergency.
All other classes just block/dodge and wail on his back. If everyone is doing their part it should go down fairly quickly.

One more thing, don't forget to teabag it at the end.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I got curious and played around with the cheat engine for rat ogres. On hard, it took over 150 shots from a blue WH repeater to kill it. My blue handgun on the dwarf took around 50.

Rogres have a gently caress load of health. I should check how effective bombs are. I can play around with other weapons if people want, but I don't have a lot of the good ranged weapons.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Two things that I've been experimenting with:

:black101: Has anyone developed a best practice for destroying mission objects (support chains/pillars)?

When I'm doing it solo, I shave a good 5 to 10 seconds of my time destroying these things by using rapier, one-handed hammer, battle-scepter, or one-handed axe charged attacks. The thing these all have in common is fast, armor piercing charge attacks. Spamming fast, normal attacks seem to take significantly more time to down an object even with these weapons.

Perhaps these things count as having some form of armor? If that's the case, my demolition speed with armor piercing, two-handers is still noticeably slower due to slower attack speeds. I haven't gotten to test it super scientifically. Maybe you guys have some anecdotal experience that we can all benefit from as well.

:black101: For that matter, what about gates/board barriers? I've found that anything with a vertical attack seems to be a bit faster for boards. My one-handed hammer is especially good for this (charged attack). Perhaps the boards have individual hit-boxes that you can *ding* all at once with vertical attacks? I don't break down a lot of gates.

All I've got is anecdotes here. Maybe someone else has better research.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rogres have 1k health on hard iirc

^^^
Shield bashes seem to do dick and fast weapon attacks are better for those I feel.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Elpato posted:

Two things that I've been experimenting with:

:black101: Has anyone developed a best practice for destroying mission objects (support chains/pillars)?

When I'm doing it solo, I shave a good 5 to 10 seconds of my time destroying these things by using rapier, one-handed hammer, battle-scepter, or one-handed axe charged attacks. The thing these all have in common is fast, armor piercing charge attacks. Spamming fast, normal attacks seem to take significantly more time to down an object even with these weapons.

Perhaps these things count as having some form of armor? If that's the case, my demolition speed with armor piercing, two-handers is still noticeably slower due to slower attack speeds. I haven't gotten to test it super scientifically. Maybe you guys have some anecdotal experience that we can all benefit from as well.

:black101: For that matter, what about gates/board barriers? I've found that anything with a vertical attack seems to be a bit faster for boards. My one-handed hammer is especially good for this (charged attack). Perhaps the boards have individual hit-boxes that you can *ding* all at once with vertical attacks? I don't break down a lot of gates.

All I've got is anecdotes here. Maybe someone else has better research.

Strength potions help, I can 2 shot them with a strength potion + 2h hammer.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Speaking of strength potions, remember that it gives you armor pen. If there's a bunch of Stormvermin, chug one!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Night10194 posted:

I think I've noticed why the fire swords mess me up a little with Sienna.

I think their attacks slow down if you're heavily overcharged. The timing seems to become more sluggish. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, but, I assumed all weapons do? It never occurred to me it was only the fire sword.

Yesterday I was 2-h dwarfing it in nightmare and I completely humiliated myself. Is the charge up for 2 handed hammer longer than for the shield? I can't explain why I can't get in the rhythm, and I hope to god there were lag effects, because every loving time I turned around it was six rats stabbing me and I swear to god I checked my blind spots before shooting that packmaster there shouldn't have been any, let alone six rats stabbing my kidneys but every goddamn time there were.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 5, 2015

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Krinkle posted:

Yes, but, I assumed all weapons do? It never occurred to me it was only the fire sword.

Yesterday I was 2-h dwarfing it in nightmare and I completely humiliated myself. Is the charge up for 2 handed hammer longer than for the shield? I can't explain why I can't get in the rhythm, and I hope to god there were lag effects, because every loving time I turned around it was six rats stabbing me and I swear to god I checked my blind spots before shooting that packmaster there shouldn't have been any, let alone six rats stabbing my kidneys but every goddamn time there were.

I assume it has to do with the attack speed stat on the charged attack. Rapier can charged attack like twice for every two-hander charged attack.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a cool rifle for my dwarf which gibs stormvermin wherever you shoot them and can kill multiple ones in a row :twisted:

feels good

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Krinkle posted:

All weapons have different timings for their charged attacks.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just got a 2nd green beam staff and one has extra zoom and the other does not and they both zoom the exact same amount. I tried using the rapier pistol button and no additional zoom happens. I don't get it.

This second staff, what does "every shot has a chance to split into two" even mean to a beam staff with a shotgun left click? Double shotgun sometimes?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

If you left click while beaming it does a burst shot at the spot. That can sometimes split into two. I can't tell on the shotgun since it leaves no marks on the wall.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I think there's some affixes which are just non-functional. I have a repeater for the soldier that has a chance to make shots act as if they were headshots, except the repeater doesn't have the headshot property :downs:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Metrohunter posted:

I think there's some affixes which are just non-functional. I have a repeater for the soldier that has a chance to make shots act as if they were headshots, except the repeater doesn't have the headshot property :downs:

Headshots do extra damage on all weapons. The Headshot property just means it does even more extra damage.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Weapons without headshot still do extra damage, I think it's just that ones with headshot do extra damage compared to other weapons. That's just my guess because the modifiers are poorly explained

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Metrohunter posted:

Headshot has 2 definitions in the game.

Headshot definition 1 = location-based damage bonus. If you hit or shoot something in its head, it takes extra damage.
Headshot definition 2 = extra-special increased damage bonus (on top of #1) if you hit or shoot something in the head. This is the definition referred to by weapons with the "headshot" descriptive text.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 5, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
It seems like it wouldn't have been that hard to put mouse-over text on the weapon properties that explains exactly what they do :/

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Zephro posted:

It seems like it wouldn't have been that hard to put mouse-over text on the weapon properties that explains exactly what they do :/

Being aggressively bad about communicating its mechanics and expectations is probably this game's biggest failing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

xthetenth posted:

Being aggressively bad about communicating its mechanics and expectations is probably this game's biggest failing.

Or it's just sticking very close to the source material :smuggo:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Fans posted:

Having played multiple games based in the warhams rpg system I'm gonna go with this.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Okay I have literally zero health, I've already gone down once on nightmare, i'm holding a perishable grimoire so I can't die, I will just let my team take care of these six vermin while I turn around every three seconds to make sure I don't get stabbed in the back. Aha! Aha! There's one! there's the rat who will kill me! And he's dead. And now I'm dead. They let one through. They didn't stop the goddamn vermin from waltzing right through and murdering me.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Fans posted:

GW vetoed all the tooltips.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Krinkle posted:

Okay I have literally zero health, I've already gone down once on nightmare, i'm holding a perishable grimoire so I can't die, I will just let my team take care of these six vermin while I turn around every three seconds to make sure I don't get stabbed in the back. Aha! Aha! There's one! there's the rat who will kill me! And he's dead. And now I'm dead. They let one through. They didn't stop the goddamn vermin from waltzing right through and murdering me.

Last night I played Well Watch with some pubs and they would not stop taking damage. I did not use a healing item the entire level, and in fact used the only healing kit I acquired to patch up someone else. I was the last man standing when we died.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Wait a minute...are you guys saying that pubbies...are bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Got a trinket that expands the blast radius of bombs by 50% so using it in nightmare and up is useless 😩

• Locked thread