Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Just got my Crossover 2795 in today. You weren't kidding about the fast shipping times from Korean resellers, it shipped out on 11/02 and was at my door waiting for me when I got home from work on 11/04. Overclocked to 96hz in about 20 seconds, 0 dead pixels or motion blur and everything is incredibly sharp and clear. Thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

ThatOneGuy posted:

Looking a guides that are not trying to sell you things, it looks like they say distilled water on a microfiber cloth, and for stubborn things a 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar.

And they don't recommend alcohol because it apparently damages anti-glare coatings. So if you don't have that, go for it.

Tried the distilled water and microfiber cloth thing today, worked like a charm. Thanks a lot.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Kinda want to roll the dice on
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151649925665&alt=web

Pls 2560x1440 and single input for 200$ new?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
This and someone else saying they got a completely poo poo monitor with multi input, dead pixels, and a bent frame is about the only thing I can find on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/3gad5x/alloxx_brand/

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

This and someone else saying they got a completely poo poo monitor with multi input, dead pixels, and a bent frame is about the only thing I can find on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/3gad5x/alloxx_brand/

Haha I guess I'll just make 100% sure it's a single input if I DO pull the trigger then :) I figure your odds on getting a DOA really can't be better or worse the the other Korean monitors I've had..

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Also being that you have an AMD graphics card, the MG279Q being a Freesync monitor is a huge boon.

I think for high end AMD users the MG279Q is pretty much a default choice. NB: Same panel as the other 144Hz IPS', so the same QC caveats apply.

Excuse my ignorance here, what are the QC issues you're talking about? I did a google search and it came up with a bunch of user reviews about people having a lot of issues with this panel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are there any actual reviews out for the xb1 HU replacement?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Amdis posted:

Excuse my ignorance here, what are the QC issues you're talking about? I did a google search and it came up with a bunch of user reviews about people having a lot of issues with this panel.

The panel in most of them seems to be the same AUO panel, and there is often QA problems like dust and hair in the layers of the panel itself.

I don't know how the gently caress these companies or AUO itself is okay with this, but it's been the common problem for a bit now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 5, 2015

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Are there any actual reviews out for the xb1 HU replacement?

No, it's not even out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mazz posted:

I don't know how the gently caress these companies or AUO itself is okay with this, but it's been the common problem for a bit now.
By being the only option, mostly. I guess the margins must be high enough they can absorb the cost of the occasional return.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Holy poo poo HP did something right for a change by releasing two dirt cheap overclockable IPS monitors:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...g-ah-ips-2.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Odette posted:

No, it's not even out.

The curved ultrawide also isn't out and has review copies making the rounds.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
If one wants to buy an Acer XB270HU, which vendor is best to play the Quality Control Lottery with in case i need to send it back? I don't have any places close enough locally to buy it in store, so it's going to have to be done online.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Rev posted:

If one wants to buy an Acer XB270HU, which vendor is best to play the Quality Control Lottery with in case i need to send it back? I don't have any places close enough locally to buy it in store, so it's going to have to be done online.

Amazon, when they are selling them.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KingEup posted:

Holy poo poo HP did something right for a change by releasing two dirt cheap overclockable IPS monitors:

1080p 27" :(

I guess 1080p isn't bad for a 25", though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

KingEup posted:

I wouldn't call it overclocking, 1080p at 75hz is within spec.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

The curved ultrawide also isn't out and has review copies making the rounds.

That X34? Yeah, it's getting recalled. Source

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Would you guys buy an XB270HU if you weren't really able to return it more than once? I don't think NCIX allows serial returns and anything past the 30 day return time would be just Acer RMA. I'm not convinced that the xb1 version is going to be out soon and it sounds like the QC problems are pretty awful.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Would you guys buy an XB270HU if you weren't really able to return it more than once? I don't think NCIX allows serial returns and anything past the 30 day return time would be just Acer RMA. I'm not convinced that the xb1 version is going to be out soon and it sounds like the QC problems are pretty awful.

I have one and got it on the first try but no I would never have risked it if I couldn't just return it whenever I want.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you think it would be reasonable to ask them to turn on the panel prior to my purchasing it? I'm not really sure how I would arrange that and I can understand them being reluctant to open the packaging. How is Acer's RMA for the backlight bleed?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They should be willing. It's no worse than you bringing it back later, except probably better-packaged if they have a floor model you can swap it in for quickly.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Odette posted:

That X34? Yeah, it's getting recalled. Source

Jesus what a mess.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I just got a acer XB270HU. Do all IPS have back light bleed? I notice it sometimes but not others, is that normal? Sorry first good monitor want to make sure its a good one especially with all the QC issues I read about.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

smarion2 posted:

I just got a acer XB270HU. Do all IPS have back light bleed? I notice it sometimes but not others, is that normal? Sorry first good monitor want to make sure its a good one especially with all the QC issues I read about.

It's normal to have a bit of it, yes. Take a photo of a completely black screen with the lights turned off and post it.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I'm going to guess this isn't normal... Sometimes it looks perfect but viewing angle seems to make a difference.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That's worse than my aurias, which are mainly notable for being cheap.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

xthetenth posted:

That's worse than my aurias, which are mainly notable for being cheap.

Yeah I had a feeling this wasn't so cheap... Amazon (wehre I bought it) has it currently under review because I guess they go so many returns for it lately. I can't ever tell in games or general use that much just when its completely black like in the screen shot. Return it and try again?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

smarion2 posted:

I'm going to guess this isn't normal... Sometimes it looks perfect but viewing angle seems to make a difference.

Yeah that's particularly bad. Might want to return it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

smarion2 posted:

Yeah I had a feeling this wasn't so cheap... Amazon (wehre I bought it) has it currently under review because I guess they go so many returns for it lately. I can't ever tell in games or general use that much just when its completely black like in the screen shot. Return it and try again?

Yeah, on non-solid backgrounds it isn't a big deal on mine because they weren't super expensive. On my more expensive screens I've got way less and wouldn't settle for that.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Ok thanks guys guess It's going back.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

The XB270HU is apparently under review on the amazon webpage, and they're not directly selling it anymore, guessing this is because there's people who have rma'd the monitor 5 times in a row trying to get ones without the terrible bleed.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slider posted:

The XB270HU is apparently under review on the amazon webpage, and they're not directly selling it anymore, guessing this is because there's people who have rma'd the monitor 5 times in a row trying to get ones without the terrible bleed.

In other news, Amazon just opened up a new warehouse.

It's full of returned XB270HUs. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I got mine right after it stopped being under review/unavailable in amazon around august and it came out almost perfect. Good thing too because shipping it back for an RMA would have been horrible.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Should I try again somewhere else? I loved everything else about it but if there's something more reliable and comparable I would give it a try.

I have a gtx970 as the gpu

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

smarion2 posted:

Everything except the small flare on the bottom right looks like somewhat normal IPS glow to me. You really need to take the picture from 5+ feet away to minimize it. I'm guessing the camera's exposure was making this look a bit worse than it does in real life too, right?

Even regular glow like this can vary in intensity from panel to panel, so if you're not comfortable with it, exchanging it might still be a viable option.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

As of today I'm enjoying XB270HU #1 from Newegg with no issues. :smuggo:

Well, a little light bleed in the corners but that definitely is a factor of angle. 3 feet away it's perfect solid black, 2 feet there's moderate glow invisible on anything but a pure black background in a dim room.

...just doomed it to burn my house down 2 days out of warranty.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Zorilla posted:

Everything except the small flare on the bottom right looks like somewhat normal IPS glow to me. You really need to take the picture from 5+ feet away to minimize it. I'm guessing the camera's exposure was making this look a bit worse than it does in real life too, right?

Even regular glow like this can vary in intensity from panel to panel, so if you're not comfortable with it, exchanging it might still be a viable option.

Here's a pic a bit more than 5 feet away.

I really love the monitor and it really doesn't bother me that much. I guess for the price I just want to get what I paid for mostly. Don't let me talk myself into keeping it if its unacceptable.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

smarion2 posted:

Here's a pic a bit more than 5 feet away.

I really love the monitor and it really doesn't bother me that much. I guess for the price I just want to get what I paid for mostly. Don't let me talk myself into keeping it if its unacceptable.

Ok, now that's really bad. Most IPS displays with bleed I've seen only have it in two or three places. Yours has at least six.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Alllllllllllright, thanks guys. Should I try new egg? What type of local stores would carry something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Yeah I'm just going to get a Crossover. gently caress that noise, fix your poo poo before you sell it, especially for $700+ loving dollars.