Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
the OP is the greatest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The best part of this show is the two different Saitamas.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Douk Douk posted:

the OP is the greatest

Unlike most shows (Non Non Biyori a prime offender), we never skip this intro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It still hasn't grown on me but I want to love it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's great because it's super serious and then you get into the actual show and it's all

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I love it, because the lyrics are spot on.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The music reminds me a lot of the MGR buttrock which is a good thing.
Also it makes me laugh and it's not some serious pretentiouss busllhit.

Only good anime I watched so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You should watch more anime

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, it's a funny medium.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I know. I wanted to get more into it. But I really need a very specific kind of anime it seems.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I know. I wanted to get more into it. But I really need a very specific kind of anime it seems.

I see where you are coming from, my friend. Might I reccomend Space Dandy?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I like to imagine the OP is all the monsters saitama defeated prior to the show start when he was serious and hadn't realized he was too strong, which is why he looks badass as gently caress

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

the wildest rear end posted:

It's great because it's super serious and then you get into the actual show and it's all

I always found the OP to be pretty intentionally cheesy and not very serious at all.

Ranzear posted:

Both NNB OPs are good. :colbert:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I see where you are coming from, my friend. Might I reccomend Space Dandy?

I will friend. Thank you.

I do like how the show goes full anime for 5 minutes where a cyborg talking about justice and revenge fights against a big boobed anime mosqito lady only for our hero to show up and basically say "nope".

I can identify with saitama. gently caress pretentious anime stuff.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe you'd like to watch some non-pretentious anime? They do exist, you know. They aren't unicorns.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Michaellaneous posted:

I will friend. Thank you.

I do like how the show goes full anime for 5 minutes where a cyborg talking about justice and revenge fights against a big boobed anime mosqito lady only for our hero to show up and basically say "nope".

I can identify with saitama. gently caress pretentious anime stuff.

Just watch hyper-serious pretentious animes like Jojo (it's a love story in Victorian England and an analysis of Nazi Germany before WW2).

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Michaellaneous posted:

jojo is also very good (and is getting a new season soon)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So we've settled on big tits = pretentiousness right?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, check out the pretentiousness on her!

brotato
May 14, 2013
Why do you think her titties are so big? It's cause they're full of pretentiousness.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
His choice of words was poor but I understand where he's coming from and I'm happy that he's found a show he likes. I hope he continues to find more shows that he will like.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

indeed

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Same, but drat if it wasn't funny.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Michaellaneous posted:

I hear School Days is a good anime to watch. Especially if you like boats.

And for non-pretentious anime, how about giving Evangelion Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 a try?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Ranzear posted:

but then you miss the sick boring guitars

it just prepares you for the wave of healing about to wash over you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I can't wait for this anime to get pretentious again

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

VEGETA - One Punch Man: Big Tits = Pretentiousness

But yeah you guys know what I mean. I just wanna laugh about goofy poo poo.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Michaellaneous posted:

You should check out The Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

PRETENTIOUS BAPS would be a v good username

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thank you all for your nice suggestions. I'll be sure to check some out and report back.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Both NNB OPs are good. :colbert:

Good, but sometimes earsplitting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I quite follow, but would Hayate the combat butler meet or go against this idea of pretentiousness?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd still recommend Jojo even if it's full of batshit crazy nonsense, because it's a very serious adventure story spanning generations about incredibly buff yet fabulous men named after musical artists, bands, and songs. Like Robert E.O. Speedwagon, "Kars," "Esidisi," and a guy just straight up named Vanilla Ice. The show's name is even a reference Beatles song so there you go.

Space Dandy is good and funny and stars a dude in a pompadour.

Ping Pong might get too fuckin' real depending on your tastes but it's, I quote, "incredible." Sports drama might not be your thing though so w/e.

Gintama is ostensibly about samurais and aliens but it's really just a straight up sitcom about a bunch of stupid dudes who get into stupid situations and it's some of the funniest poo poo I've seen. The name of the show is a pun on a Japanese slang word for testicles.

Mordaedil posted:

I'm not sure I quite follow, but would Hayate the combat butler meet or go against this idea of pretentiousness?

Maybe? Even with its comedy and self-awareness, it's kinda more typical.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Nichijou, FMP Fumoffu, the ever divisive Zvezda, Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun, Barakamon...

There's definitely more good comedies in that vein, but you've probably got a pretty packed list now.

If you wanted more action-y goofyness, Nichijou has better action scenes than most action shows.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'd still recommend Jojo even if it's full of batshit crazy nonsense, because it's a very serious adventure story spanning generations about incredibly buff yet fabulous men named after musical artists, bands, and songs. Like Robert E.O. Speedwagon, "Kars," "Esidisi," and a guy just straight up named Vanilla Ice. The show's name is even a reference Beatles song so there you go.

Space Dandy is good and funny and stars a dude in a pompadour.

Ping Pong might get too fuckin' real depending on your tastes but it's, I quote, "incredible." Sports drama might not be your thing though so w/e.

Seconding all of these recommendations. Especially Ping Pong, which is phenomenal. I didn't give a single poo poo about sports drama or anything anime going into it, but you really don't need to. It spends very little time on the sport and all the time about the people that play it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ViggyNash posted:

Nichijou, FMP Fumoffu, the ever divisive Zvezda, Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun, Barakamon...

There's definitely more good comedies in that vein, but you've probably got a pretty packed list now.

If you wanted more action-y goofyness, Nichijou has better action scenes than most action shows.

ugh why do people like nichijou?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Condiv posted:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Thats you, getting flipped.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is that supposed to be the anime update version of Lucy pulling the football away at the last second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

Because it's an enjoyable heart warming story about friendship and the absurdities of life.

• Locked thread