Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Both, however, are full, so if you pick one that gives another goon the chance to join the other :shobon:

And in answer to your question they are both very very active. ~120+ goons online per guild during peak hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
And still 50 odd in Euro/upside down land hours.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey goons, no HP trains from me tonight. My computer went pop this morning and won't turn on. I expect it's the PSU, and I'm about to order one overnighted, but won't even be able to determine if that's the only thing wrong until tomorrow evening. :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh no! Get well soon Schpy's computer :ohdear:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Schpyder posted:

Hey goons, no HP trains from me tonight. My computer went pop this morning and won't turn on. I expect it's the PSU, and I'm about to order one overnighted, but won't even be able to determine if that's the only thing wrong until tomorrow evening. :(

Oh dear. The PSU frying could have fried other computer parts. :(
Never cheap out on the PSU goons! Hopefully it didn't fry anything if it is the culprit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Azazell0 posted:

I wish I could change my look more often based on mood or setting or whatever, have one set for guild missions, racial armor and other stuff. I loved the cosmetic tabs in LoTRO which worked that way. (you got one free and had to pay for others, IIRC) But GW2 system is of course about getting maximum payments squeezed from the players, so we are getting transmutation charges, and I won't be changing my look.

When they switched over to the wardrobe system did they take away the transmutation charge for 100% a cap city? Was thinking of spending an afternoon using the blank slot to level a dude to ten for the key and charges a few times.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When they switched over to the wardrobe system did they take away the transmutation charge for 100% a cap city? Was thinking of spending an afternoon using the blank slot to level a dude to ten for the key and charges a few times.

They did not. You can still get transmutation charges commonly from completing regular maps, too, and SPvP reward tracks reward a fair number of them.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sprite141 posted:

Oh dear. The PSU frying could have fried other computer parts. :(
Never cheap out on the PSU goons! Hopefully it didn't fry anything if it is the culprit.

It was a SeaSonic X650 Gold, literally the polar opposite of a cheap PSU. :mad:

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Remember that you can only get the key from Personal Story on your account once a week, though.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest_Key#Trivia

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Schpyder posted:

Oh good. Yeah PSUs will eventually die after enough years, you just want to get one that'll not take the computer with it. Even though it died it shouldn't have fried anything. Hopefully it'll be ok!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schpyder posted:

just plug your volts directly into your wires, it'll work trust me

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mizuti posted:

They did not. You can still get transmutation charges commonly from completing regular maps, too, and SPvP reward tracks reward a fair number of them.

It is good that they're pretty readily available, but having them as a limited resource in the first place has an effect on the way people think about them. I'm probably sitting on 90-something transmute charges, but I think I've changed my gear look probably once? It's just that mental twitch of 'oh god what if I run out one day and then the next day I find the perfect outfit ahhhhh'

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I would pay like $30+ for an infinite transmutation charge in a heartbeat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I would pay like $30+ for an infinite transmutation charge in a heartbeat.

I would, too, really.

I'll echo what others have said: I'm (mostly) fine with a decent portion of the cosmetic items being tied in one way or another to the gem store (costumes, weapon skins, and Black Lion Claim Ticket weapons), but having to also use a limited resource to use any of those cosmetics other than costumes is kind of lovely. I'd understand more if gem shop cosmetic items didn't require transmutation charges, but even then I'd be annoyed.

I'd even be willing to pay a subscription in exchange for, like, a certain amount of gems per month and unlimited transmutation.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Harrow posted:

I would, too, really.

I'll echo what others have said: I'm (mostly) fine with a decent portion of the cosmetic items being tied in one way or another to the gem store (costumes, weapon skins, and Black Lion Claim Ticket weapons), but having to also use a limited resource to use any of those cosmetics other than costumes is kind of lovely. I'd understand more if gem shop cosmetic items didn't require transmutation charges, but even then I'd be annoyed.

I'd even be willing to pay a subscription in exchange for, like, a certain amount of gems per month and unlimited transmutation.

I get 500 ZEN a month with my ST:O lifetime sub.
I haven't played in more than a year thanks to GW2. :eng99:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I get 500 ZEN a month with my ST:O lifetime sub.
I haven't played in more than a year thanks to GW2. :eng99:

You probably shouldn't play STO even if you had nothing else to play :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DnT released their ~*~meta build~*~ guides for the new elite specs in PvE recently and the Chronomancer one just makes me giddy. The whole thing is just built around using Continuum Split and well spam to get ridiculous Quickness and Alacrity uptime for your group and that is everything I ever wanted to do with Chronomancer.

For all my complaints with HoT, Chronomancer just keeps pulling me back.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone gone after the map bonus rewards stuff? Is it a good system, or still too rare / stingy to be worthwhile to find what you want, versus typical farming or doing whatever makes gold and buying it off the TP?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

N-N-NECRO POSTIN'!

In flight

Eschewing traditional Necromancer style, Kill Man is ready to summon the dead in style.

God I love this character.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

DnT released their ~*~meta build~*~ guides for the new elite specs in PvE recently and the Chronomancer one just makes me giddy. The whole thing is just built around using Continuum Split and well spam to get ridiculous Quickness and Alacrity uptime for your group and that is everything I ever wanted to do with Chronomancer.

For all my complaints with HoT, Chronomancer just keeps pulling me back.

Link?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
My Chronomancer has fancy sneakers because he's moving around so fast everywhere!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

For obsidian shards, am I better off doing SW for the keys and subsequent chests, join a karma train and buy them that way, or do something else entirely?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

I googled and came up with this:

http://dtguilds.com/forum/viewforum/4280860/m/6563292

Each class has its own subforum with a new guide it looks like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In addition to xZAOx's link, here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBzv1RkiFXY

I disagree with him about shield's phantasm sucking, though. Someone notes in the comments that while it does less DPS than the sword phantasm, it can cause pretty much permanent Alacrity uptime for any party members in melee, which is absolutely beautiful. I also don't think it's worth going for full Assassin's like he does. In the comments, he points to an "effective power" calculation showing that Assassin's edges out Berserker's, but it's by such a small margin (and Berserker's is better enough in WvW) that I can't really recommend going out and swapping all your Berserker's gear to Assassin's for it.

It really highlights how huge of an upgrade Chronomancer is to Mesmer in literally every way. In PvE, we've gone from "bring along for Portals and reflects" to providing tons of support and actually reliable, strong DPS.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Roc
Nov 8, 2010
Here is the full playlist for all the classes

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz0JN2v3KJMl2PZBkWd4S-Ui0iDlLSaZ9

edit: Watching some of these videos and I would say just wait for a text guide or something.

Roc fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 5, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Roc posted:

edit: Watching some of these videos and I would say just wait for a text guide or something.

Do they have one for berserker?

~DnT~ uguuu :allears:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

ItBurns posted:

Do they have one for berserker?

~DnT~ uguuu :allears:

I need condi gear for my engi by the sound of dnt. Time to farm viper.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Cyron posted:

I need condi gear for my engi by the sound of dnt. Time to farm viper.

That was sarcasm and the Viper gear is apparently broken in-game, so I'd hold off on that.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

CLAM DOWN posted:

You probably shouldn't play STO even if you had nothing else to play :v:

I tried to play STO, but its bad, and that makes me sad, because I really like Star Trek.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Raskolnikov posted:

God I love this character.

Thank you!
Overall, he's my favorite for class and look. Once I have my elite items (sans collection weapons), I'm going to revisit all my characters.
The Reaper hood is neat but I can't seem to ever want to cover up their face.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Inzombiac posted:

N-N-NECRO POSTIN'!

In flight

Eschewing traditional Necromancer style, Kill Man is ready to summon the dead in style.

I don't normally like the neon hair colors or the bat wings, but this character pulls it off gloriously.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Roc posted:

Not reaper :(

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

malhavok posted:

Not reaper :(

here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RBdNMSs0cg

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Spoilers: Mordremoth has won. :smith:

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 5, 2015

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

I got that in the exact same spot. That was my breaking point after my previous attempt fizzled out on an updraft which wouldn't trigger my glider. What a horrible, buggy mess.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I got that in the exact same spot. That was my breaking point after my previous attempt fizzled out on an updraft which wouldn't trigger my glider. What a horrible, buggy mess.

that mission will be fun when they fix it in 3 years

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Kitty Fantastico posted:

Yeah I gave up after awhile, will come back to it after they fix the bugs. The fight itself isn't particularly fun or difficult either, just time consuming so sucks to have to reset every time some bug like that pops up. Which so far has been ever attempt I have made.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I don't get why people aren't liking Daredevil, it's fun as heck (note: in open-world PvE, HoT specifically). I'm sure I'm suboptimal or whatever, but I can play the game like I'm playing Dark Souls: the only time I get hit is when I get lazy or overextend myself. I have three full dodges, Withdraw on a 15 second cooldown, all my dodges apply huge AoE conditions, I have an on-demand blind with Staff 4, a very low cooldown block in Bandit's Defense, I can't be crippled or immobilized (Staff 3), and I steal things constantly. Because I'm dumb and go for total overkill on dodging I'm using Adventurer runes, which means I get half my endurance back every time I Withdraw (again, every 15 seconds), and a Stamina sigil on my staff, which means I literally can't stop dodging. I'm whipping in and out of melee constantly, leaving everything in my wake crippled, bleeding, tormented, and swinging at nothing. It's rad.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Did you play thief before HoT? Mess around with Acro pre-nerf? General thief consensus (goon thieves at least) is that it's just nothing new or interesting for the class. It doesn't shake things up the way Reaper or Dragonhunter did, or give us any unique edge like Chronomancer has, and that's disappointing. But if you're having fun go hog wild man, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Play dragonhunter in pvp before they nerf it, hurry do it nowwwww

• Locked thread