Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Ask me about my crippling inability to see statues that are literally right in front of me :v:

Any enemies that aren't taken out when the Sadist starts the chainsaw party aggros on you when he wakes up. FYI, that trap lever on the outside hallway will spring spikes on the stairwell, the lever on the other side springs spikes in the hallway. In my original run that got mulched by recording errors I used it on the Sadist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Ask me about my crippling inability to see statues that are literally right in front of me :v:

Any enemies that aren't taken out when the Sadist starts the chainsaw party aggros on you when he wakes up. FYI, that trap lever on the outside hallway will spring spikes on the stairwell, the lever on the other side springs spikes in the hallway. In my original run that got mulched by recording errors I used it on the Sadist.

Yeah, that switch is totally safe, each one makes spikes appear on the other side of the wall.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
Is it just me, or is the hooded figure more decayed than when we first saw him in the intro?

Also, do the logs appear in a randomised sequence?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Are you getting all the textfiles? I'm seeing you path past what look like open books, but for all I know they're part of the decor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you getting all the textfiles? I'm seeing you path past what look like open books, but for all I know they're part of the decor.

Yes, I'm going to pick up all the text files/audio logs/etc. This includes the missing persons posters and newspapers, one of which is a real bastard because you have one chance to get it for one PART of a safe room visit.

Kerris posted:

Also, do the logs appear in a randomised sequence?

Nope, that was just me musing about how the audio logs start at entry number four and then skip around a whole bunch after that. v:v:v

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The tone of this game really is kinda schizphrenic. On the one hand, blood soaked mental hospitals, hulking chainsaw maniacs, vats of gore, and barbwire couture demon possession is all pretty par for the course horror imagery. To be fair, they're executed really well, but not exactly breaking the mold. That's fine, that's kind of what the game was really trying to sell, all the advertising I saw for the game heavily emphasized the horror imagery. I'm down with that. Like Silent Hill, but I can fight back. Cool! Let's go.

But so far the pacing and narrative have been pretty... random. You've got F.E.A.R. level psychic (ghosts?) literally demolishing an entire city in the introduction, and next thing you know you're in the boondocks shanking dudes in a pseudo-medieval village. I've only seen as much as has been presented in the LP, but what the gently caress happened to the city? Is that brought up again? Seems like it would be a big deal.

There's a few other things that just seem like lazy pacing, for example the game's signature weapon is picked up with little to no fanfare from a couch. It's a loving awesome weapon, no doubt, but there's no rhyme or reason for it to be there beyond a means to give the player a new tool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From the LPs I've seen and my own playing of the game, I think the Agony Crossbow can actually be picked up at more than one spot in the story but none of them really have any fanfare.

The best way to describe this game is "dream logic".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The agony crossbow being located right there is actually your chance to get it early, which is why it's there with no fanfare and doesn't really shine or anything like that. If you don't pick it up now, you get it waaay later on in the game from a case like I did the shotgun. It's actually the only weapon in the whole game that's like that; All of the other weapons are found in cases. Obviously it's really easy to find and there are bolts all over the drat place but hey if you miss it then at least you'll be stocked up on bolts when you do get it! :v:

edit: And yeah, I agree that the game's tone is pretty weirdly balanced. I think that's one of its disadvantages but I also feel like it's intentional in a lot of ways.

Most of the time it works. The game definitely tries to mash together modern elements with older-world ones and I think that a lot of the time it works surprisingly well. I mean, look at what Sebastian is wearing: In the first chapter he's wearing a sleek detective trenchcoat and has a flask and smokes and is like straight out of a modern detective serial. But then he loses his coat and we see that underneath it, he's wearing some old school gothic horror victorian dress-clothes. Dude looks like he's straight out of Bloodborne, all he's missing are the dangling trouser straps. I think it's fantastic, and the game's visual design is probably my favorite thing about it. I might do a post or two on the visuals and maybe do some scans of the artbook because I can't get enough of it, I swear!

But when it doesn't work out, it sure does stick out like a sore thumb, which is why I say it's sometimes a disadvantage. It's very hard to make that kind of thing work perfectly consistently, and they weren't able to completely pull it off.

And with regards to what the hell happened in the city, consider what we know about our villain so far (what very little there is) and where we are right now. We're pretty much as far away as we can possibly get from not just the city, but the mental hospital.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 4, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Well.

It appears in two different places in this level depending on which house you go to first. If you go to the left house the shotgun is on the bottom floor behind the trip wire and the crossbow is upstairs. If you go to the right house first the crossbow is on the bottom floor on the table next to the fireplace and the shotgun is upstairs in the room with the lady looking out the window.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It's a bit of a tangent, but I like it in videogames when you find items in logical places. For example, finding the shotgun in RE4 hanging on the wall in the village - it's a perfectly nature place for a shotgun to be. Finding high grade weapons strewn about levels in shiny cases strikes me as kind of lazy (MY IMMMEERRSHUNN). It's nitpicky, I admit, but a game like this is ALL about atmosphere and tone, and things that remind you that you are playing a videogame, ie, convenient supply crates, are things that detract from that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dscruffy1 posted:

Well.

It appears in two different places in this level depending on which house you go to first. If you go to the left house the shotgun is on the bottom floor behind the trip wire and the crossbow is upstairs. If you go to the right house first the crossbow is on the bottom floor on the table next to the fireplace and the shotgun is upstairs in the room with the lady looking out the window.

Interesting! I've never gone into the house on the right first so I had no idea that changed. Learn something new every day!

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.

CJacobs posted:

Nope, that was just me musing about how the audio logs start at entry number four and then skip around a whole bunch after that. v:v:v
Ah, that makes sense. By the way, have you ever tried using something like FWS to change the FOV? Does that change the feel of the game?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

chitoryu12 posted:

The best way to describe this game is "dream logic".

Then clearly what Sebastian SHOULD have said was "Man, I'm going to need a giant pair of bolt cutters" so we could have fought Scissorman instead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

As I get farther into the game I'm starting to realize that this playthrough isn't as blind as I thought it was. But it's like I've got some kind of weird form of selective amnesia or something. I'm like the guy from Memento except instead of photographs it's saved game data.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if you noticed that one - if you get all 15 medallions, the Punisher comes with a free damage upgrade. It's also not a very good gun but you'll find that one out on your own.

edit: VVV Remember, the whole thing takes place in an unnamed rural European country.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

"PTA" is short for peseta, the currency of Spain before it switched to the Euro.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
The rifle scope is just an attachment that lets you zoom in even further than the base rifle zoom. There's nothing in the game far enough away that requires the scope though. It just makes it a little bit easier to hit things at long distance.

Items (ammo/healing/money/treasure) dropped by enemies, with a few exceptions, despawn after 1 minute if you don't pick them up. Key items don't despawn. Items at fixed locations and random items in barrels/crates/etc don't despawn. RE4 is surprisingly good about letting you go back through old locations but there are also times when they will block things off so you can't go back.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I seem to remember a lot of people disliking the TMP due to its low damage, but since in the bizarro world of RE4-onwards shooting something in the face is mainly something you do to set up a melee combo... the TMP is fine. Its high rate of fire and relatively low recoil can even be pretty useful!

I completely forgot about the "Punisher" pistol... which might hint at how useful I found it. I mean it's not bad, but... :shrug:

I suspect this is far too late to be helpful and you've already recorded way in advance, but you can just sell rubies; they're not slotted into other treasures. Like I said earlier, examining treasure items will pretty much flat-out tell you if it's something you can combine with another item.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
The TMP is great for a number of reasons, actually. It's compact and fits easily into the attache case, the stock makes it super accurate, it's got a great ammo count that only gets higher with subsequent upgrades, and the damage eventually becomes high enough to chew through enemies at an alarming rate. Its major downsides are early power and how quickly it goes through ammo, which is probably why a lot of people didn't give it a chance.

It's not like TMP ammo even sells for much, really.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Was that a deliberate effort to echo Claire from the RE2 opening?

I think a lot of the "TMP sucks" attitude is because RE4 drops more ammo based on what you're using, so folks that try it, don't like it stock, and resell it don't find all that much ammo and think that the gun would be ammo-starved. When you're using it, ammo is plentiful enough that you're rarely going to be out even if you don't take advantage of the "ammunition capacity upgrades come with a full clip" feature, and once you get a few capacity upgrades it holds so much ammo that inventory costs go down to just the gun (unless you're stupid enough to buy the pointless stock). It's perfectly viable as a primary weapon for the entire game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yes, there are a lot of items/treasures hidden in places you'd think were just part of RE4's scenery, like bird nests. The red catseye is in a nest all the way back in the area you meet Luis for the first time, for instance. Which you'd overlook because the zombies with dynamite are introduced there and you're more focused on not getting blown up and/or getting stuck in bear traps instead of treasure hunting.

Anyhew, add me to the list of people who dismissed the TMP at first. I was heavily invested in Manage Attache Case 4 when I first played, so the fact that the TMP needed an extra part in order to improve accuracy coupled with the initial weak damage just turned me off to it. I tried it later on, and it is a nice weapon once you invest a little into the gun. It just has a bad introduction (technically speaking) and equally bad reputation from other players that hurt the TMP in the long run.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
So here's the thing with the TMP. It's not a bad a weapon. It's just not a great weapon. It's a jack of all trades, master of none kind of weapon. For crowd control a shotgun is much better. For setting up melee attacks/single enemies the handguns are generally better. It's useful in new game (not new game+) speed runs, and it's useful to new players who have lovely aim/lots of inventory space because they aren't conservative with their ammo and healing items.

I don't like the TMP as a handgun replacement because there are fewer fixed ammo locations for TMP ammo than there are handgun ammo, though you do get more TMP bullets per drop than handgun. So after you reach (I'm going to guess 150 TMP ammo but I don't know the exact number) you'll stop getting it as random drops and there aren't as many fixed locations to replace it. If you're constantly using the gun you'll often be below the cap and get more ammo from kills but I just don't like that kind of playstyle. I'm a precise/conservative/ammo hoarder style of player.

Shotguns have knock back which is much better/less wasteful than a TMP on crowds.

The TMP's stock is actually quite nice though. It makes it very accurate, and it makes the gun fire from the shoulder rather than the hip. The large ammo capacity after upgrades is pretty nice too. The TMP also has a hidden bonus 40% firepower to regular ganados.

Tl;dr - If you have a lot of inventory space, or are a speed runner who knows what they're doing the TMP is useful. Personally there aren't any situations where I can honestly say I would use the TMP over a handgun or a shotgun.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Thorg basically covered it but yeah, the TMP isn't objectively bad or anything, it's just nowhere near as good or efficient as the 2 best handguns in the game (which it really does compete with). It's kinda a new player trap where if you can't get the headshot-kick-knife combo or have a really hard time aiming, the TMP can make up for that, but it will never be as handy as a handgun. That said, the TMP is probably the best weapon for the minigames in my experience.

I think the TMP is talked about like it's poo poo because it's ultimately not memorable compared to some of the awesome, satisfying guns in this game.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Personally, I've always liked using the TMP as a poor man's anti-boss weapon before magnums come onto the scene. My reasoning was that it can output damage faster than a handgun (at least early on, I think) from a safer range than the shotgun, and without sacrificing situational awareness like the rifle does. But that's partly because I was terrified of trying to use the rifle against a boss because I'd panic and miss like crazy. This was around the time RE4 came out, though, so I was pretty young!

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 5, 2015

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Since you asked why the snake had a chicken egg: enjoy!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
My reasoning for using the TMP is because there are 6(?) types of ammo in the game: handgun, TMP, rifle, magnum, shotgun, and mine-thrower. Taking advantage of as many types of ammo as you can means greater opportunity for damage output.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
And yes, CJacobs, the Spanish is Spanish. It's a Spanish-speaking area that uses Spanish currency which Capcom insists is not Spain, but let's not kid ourselves--you're in the back woods of Spain.

There are translations of the ganados' lines out there on the interwebs; interestingly, they're all actually in reasonably fluent European Spanish. It's so easy to cut corners where foreign languages are used in media such as this, I'm surprised Capcom went the extra mile to make sure the ganados weren't just yelling gibberish.

They're mostly yelling at/about killing Leon, for the record, which I suppose should come as little surprise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Though it helps a fair amount, sometimes, to know what they're saying. Considering one of those phrases translates to 'Behind you, imbecile!' and should tell you to move or turn around.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Actually, something that's not immediately apparent to someone who's not played the game: if someone's right behind you is it safer/fast enough to hit the quick turn button and try to get them or is it better to run away and then try and deal with the thing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From my meager amount of experience, it seems that enemies coming up from behind you actually won't try to hit you immediately; first they try to grab you and then, failing that, they'll take a swing at you. Since the enemies don't slow down when they're doing that grab stumble move thing that locks you into a qte, I've found that it's better to run forward straight through whatever enemies are in front of you, to avoid more potential damage from the guy behind you. The quick-turn is fast, but it's not quite fast enough to turn around, immediately go into aiming mode, and aim from the center of the screen over to a part of the enemy that will stun them if shot.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
When enemies grab you from behind they do no damage and your character's elbow does a shitload of damage when you shake them off, if you get hit by different enemy while grabbed it'll about 2x damage. If you're playing on Professional mode and that happens you're dead. :glompoff:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Fabulousvillain posted:

When enemies grab you from behind they do no damage and your character's elbow does a shitload of damage when you shake them off, if you get hit by different enemy while grabbed it'll about 2x damage. If you're playing on Professional mode and that happens you're dead. :glompoff:

From my experience playing the bonus mode, getting hit while grappled drops you to 1 HP. Granted, you're probably going to get hit again anyway, but that is a distinction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Evil Within-related update: I'm currently playing through on nightmare mode to get the remaining unlockable I'm missing and it's loving crazy harder than normal! I have never played the game on this difficulty before, I jumped straight from survival to akumu (which I will elaborate on in depth at a later date and at present have also never beaten). Endgame enemies start appearing in the second chapter. Enemies have real actual peripheral vision. There are like 3 times as many of them. It's a lot of fun, but goddamn is it tough. It seems I have met my match when it comes to the difficulty of TEW, which was very unexpected. :sweatdrop:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 6, 2015

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The Evil Within-related update: I'm currently playing through on nightmare mode to get the remaining unlockable I'm missing and it's loving crazy harder than normal! I have never played the game on this difficulty before, I jumped straight from survival to akumu (which I will elaborate on in depth at a later date and at present have also never beaten). Endgame enemies start appearing in the second chapter. Enemies have real actual peripheral vision. There are like 3 times as many of them. It's a lot of fun, but goddamn is it tough. It seems I have met my match when it comes to the difficulty of TEW, which was very unexpected. :sweatdrop:

The naming of Akumu don't make any sense, by the way. Akumu is just nightmare in Japanese.
Maybe one of those "Nakama has a deeper meaning" nuts was involved.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurking Haro posted:

The naming of Akumu don't make any sense, by the way. Akumu is just nightmare in Japanese.
Maybe one of those "Nakama has a deeper meaning" nuts was involved.

I assume that it's supposed to be in a similar fashion to stuff like European Extreme in Metal Gear Solid, where it's named as such because of what the designers envision will be appropriate for people in that region. But what that actually amounts to is that it's just Extreme difficulty, but harder. In the same way, Akumu mode is probably called Akumu mode because it's just Nightmare difficulty except harder.

edit: In fact, it's almost exactly the same thing. European Extreme in the original MGS2 is the same difficulty as Extreme, except you take so much damage that you die in one hit from almost anything. I won't spoil what Akumu mode is until we get there but I will let you infer from that what you will.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 6, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CJacobs, are gaslighting yourself or what? 'Nope never played this game except for up to.... here... no here... ok up to the fight......... her-- oh a save file of the final boss.' lol! I guess your brain decided it there were more important things to remember :)

That's realy interesting and cool that they went out of their way to have actual Spanish and not gibberish Sims language yelled at you. It's too bad you can't play dress up with the mask or other items. Just show up to the Biggest Head Cheese all decked out with jewelry and poo poo.

Oh god I thought it was the crow that screamed when you shot them ;( Leon no! Birds are Friends!

No, that snake was a mythical chickensnake. They have very tiny wings so you might not have noticed that it wasn't a ordinary snake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wedemeyer posted:

CJacobs, are gaslighting yourself or what? 'Nope never played this game except for up to.... here... no here... ok up to the fight......... her-- oh a save file of the final boss.' lol! I guess your brain decided it there were more important things to remember :)

I swear I'm not! :negative:

But if you can't wait to find out when I actually did stop playing waay back when, I finally come full circle and have my Shutter Island "oh. ohhhhhh." moment at the save point just after the cabin sequence. From that point onward it's actually, TRULY blind instead of this weird blind-but-sorta-not thing I have going on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
HEY, YOU. Wanna help me out with something that is related to The Evil Within but not related to the LP necessarily... because it concerns my real life??? Hell yeah you do!

This is the alt cover for The Evil Within, available as a reversible on the special edition of the game. I don't own this, because I bought the game digital! But what you might notice is that that's a poster-sized version. I want to slap this poo poo on my wall because drat, just look at it, it's beautiful.

The problem is that Bethesda hates my money, so they don't offer this as a purchaseable poster in their store. So what I ask of you is: Does anybody here know of a place where I can have this "commissioned" as a poster I can purchase? Price is really no object but I'd prefer if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg because I need one of those two things to LP. The other is my arm. Please let me know if you have a place where I can have that done in mind because I would really like to add this to my growing wall of posters n' poo poo.

edit: Also, if a bigger image is required, I can upscale it with no quality loss at all. A major benefit of it only being 3 colors is that I can vector it in no time flat. And then it can be any size!

By the way, I will be including the 3 alt-covers in my visual design post that I have now decided I'm making. They're all pretty cool looking.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 6, 2015

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Any place that does custom signs or decals, that sort of thing, should be able to print a vector image out as a poster any size you want. I don't know what it would cost, but just one poster-sized print out shouldn't be too terribly expensive, I'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

CJacobs posted:

HEY, YOU. Wanna help me out with something that is related to The Evil Within but not related to the LP necessarily... because it concerns my real life??? Hell yeah you do!

Heck yeah! Anyway, like Kieran said, any store with a digital photo section could hook you up. Walgreen's surprisingly was the first hit, but I know Staples does it too. As long as you don't volunteer that it's copyrighted and only ask for one or two, I can't imagine anybody squawking about it.

CJacobs posted:

The Evil Within-related update: I'm currently playing through on nightmare mode to get the remaining unlockable I'm missing and it's loving crazy harder than normal!

Yeah, Ben and I actually tried streaming that for October before we settled on Dead Space, and we gave up mid-chapter 6. Chapter 2 was freaking agonizing; nobody dropped bullets and you could only sneak up on a handful of Haunted (the ones whose paths took them in straight lines away from you). The enemy you're referring to was actually one of the easier moments, because he turned around into the alley after being aggroed by me shooting down a goddess statue, and ate a hatchet to the face for an instant kill. :black101:

So is "AKUMU" Survivor + 1 hit kills, not Nightmare? If so it'd probably actually be easier, just because stealth is so much harder on Nightmare. Not that I tried it either. :v:

• Locked thread