Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

So I'm going to go against the grain and say this was a pretty weak episode, mostly because it got bogged down in setting up LoT.

Constantine was fun but sadly I think he's a one off due to rights issues.

Sara was an Arrow character for an entire season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sbaldrick posted:

So I'm going to go against the grain and say this was a pretty weak episode, mostly because it got bogged down in setting up LoT.

Constantine was fun but sadly I think he's a one off due to rights issues.

No, the producers said they will work him in whenever they can find a special enough reason. Also rights issues? NBC canned the show and when they didn't pick it up the rights reverted. And guess who owns both Green Arrow and Hellblazer?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of wish the Constantine episode had more Constantine. Also I'm pretty sure they got around the difference between main show and island filming by not actually doing the Constantine scenes on "the island."

But isn't "the island" probably just a wooded area or park around Vancouver?

Hatrocious posted:

Interesting how Constantine chose to scratch his back with the feather of a dead peacock

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I missed that. Pretty clever.

Jose Oquendo posted:

$20 says that if they introduce Swamp Thing to the Arrow-verse he's gonna be on that fuckin' island like everything else.

This. The island being this contrived focal point from Oliver's (and seemingly everyone else's) past needs to stop.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Longbaugh01 posted:

This. The island being this contrived focal point from Oliver's (and seemingly everyone else's) past needs to stop.

I actually kind of appreciated when Constantine said the Island is some sort of nexus for evil bad poo poo. It makes Slade's line in second season "That Island has a hold on you" something more sinister and deliberate. That the Island literally marks you with bad juju makes Sara's whole "Darkness inside of me" line literal. Probably not intended but I liked it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Island scenes are filmed in various parks, beaches, quarries etc. depending on the scene.

Some actually named ones I found are Whytecliff Park, and Lynn Canyon Park.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bad Moon posted:

I actually kind of appreciated when Constantine said the Island is some sort of nexus for evil bad poo poo.

Yeah, except the creative team probably did that because on some level they as well realize that it's getting ridiculous.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hatrocious posted:

Interesting how Constantine chose to scratch his back with the feather of a dead peacock

hahaha, how did I not get that

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Jose Oquendo posted:

$20 says that if they introduce Swamp Thing to the Arrow-verse he's gonna be on that fuckin' island like everything else.

Of course he is; Swamp Thing is/can be everywhere plants are!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey have they ever thought about having Tommy Monaghan show up?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Regardless of whether or not the island turns out to be something it will still be better than LOST.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drat that was so much fun

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Kind of wish the Constantine episode had more Constantine. Also I'm pretty sure they got around the difference between main show and island filming by not actually doing the Constantine scenes on "the island."

Wait, you think they actually film the island scenes on an actual island in the South China Sea? They are probably filmed in a wooded area just down the road from the main set.

Aphrodite posted:

Sara was an Arrow character for an entire season.

I think he means they spent a whole episode bringing Sara back solely because she is going to be a character in LoT. I thought the episode was OK, but as with the Flash episode is was 90% just spinning it's wheels setting up another show, but just pulled off a lot better than the Flash one.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 5, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Island scenes are filmed in various parks, beaches, quarries etc. depending on the scene.

Some actually named ones I found are Whytecliff Park, and Lynn Canyon Park.

They also film it separately from the rest of the season, doing it in large chunks instead of by episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but the difference is Firestorm showed up in about 3 episodes, and the whole problem of finding a new one was the final scene of the episode before it.

Sara meanwhile was in the entire season, died on Arrow, and the show spent another basically entire season dealing with the fallout of it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Regardless of whether or not the island turns out to be something it will still be better than LOST.

That was a hatch Constantine opened on the island.

:lost:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They also film it separately from the rest of the season, doing it in large chunks instead of by episode.

No, they film all the island scenes for each episode while filming that episode, just as a dedicated day. They talked about this last year, for every episode they have an "Island Day" or "Hong Kong" day as they called it last year.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Moon posted:

I actually kind of appreciated when Constantine said the Island is some sort of nexus for evil bad poo poo. It makes Slade's line in second season "That Island has a hold on you" something more sinister and deliberate. That the Island literally marks you with bad juju makes Sara's whole "Darkness inside of me" line literal. Probably not intended but I liked it.

I'm waiting for season 4 when Waller sends him back to the island to infiltrate a Russian gang.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV shows are generally only a month or two ahead of what's airing, so they wouldn't really be able to do it that way unless the island is all done first.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I always preferred Constantine in his side character status in Swamp Thing, so this episode really worked for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

That was a hatch Constantine opened on the island.

:lost:

I feel so ashamed. When they opened the hatch my girlfriend was like "Oh poo poo, they're about to find Desmond!" and I totally blanked on it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

I think he means they spent a whole episode bringing Sara back solely because she is going to be a character in LoT. I thought the episode was OK, but as with the Flash episode is was 90% just spinning it's wheels setting up another show, but just pulled off a lot better than the Flash one.

This episode was primarily about dealing with the resurrected Sara but I don't consider it a case of the show "spinning its wheels". Whether she's headed to a spinoff or not is irrelevant, this was a natural and reasonable direction for the characters to go and the consequences of these events is continuing to evolve them and their relationships, certainly a hell of a lot more than large stretches of season 3 did.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was a great episode. Darhk has really grown on me, even if I can never remember how to spell his silly name.

Also this episode informed me that I need to go dig up that Constantine series because he was great.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

McDragon posted:

That was a great episode. Darhk has really grown on me, even if I can never remember how to spell his silly name.

Also this episode informed me that I need to go dig up that Constantine series because he was great.

Be prepared for some initial disappointment. Matt Ryan is great as Constantine throughout, but the show really struggled in its first few episodes. I think the turning point was when they covered the story from the first Hellblazer, about four or five episodes in. It takes a couple more for the show to actually become good, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MildShow posted:

Be prepared for some initial disappointment. Matt Ryan is great as Constantine throughout, but the show really struggled in its first few episodes. I think the turning point was when they covered the story from the first Hellblazer, about four or five episodes in. It takes a couple more for the show to actually become good, though.

The high point of the show is the Mexican prison.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm waiting for season 4 when Waller sends him back to the island to infiltrate a Russian gang.

I hope its never brought up again and just remains a hilarious gigantic plot hole.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm really glad the show has made a comeback from last season's abysmal writing and performance.

This episode really made me sad that the Constantine series got canceled, though. :(

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I don't really get why people liked Constantine. I'm not a massive comics guy, but from what I remember, he was really selfish and lost every fight he'd ever been in. He wasn't some mystical James Bond that holds off demons in a sword fight while he charges up a spell.

The episode was cool overall, but pretty rushed because of how much they had to fit in. Every time I see Oliver swing his bow in a wide arc to hit someone I cry at how bad it looks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

rapeface posted:

I don't really get why people liked Constantine. I'm not a massive comics guy, but from what I remember, he was really selfish and lost every fight he'd ever been in. He wasn't some mystical James Bond that holds off demons in a sword fight while he charges up a spell.

That was part of his allure, though: he was just a street magician, but managed to overcome challenges thanks to his brash attitude and sheer willpower.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

rapeface posted:

The episode was cool overall, but pretty rushed because of how much they had to fit in. Every time I see Oliver swing his bow in a wide arc to hit someone I cry at how bad it looks.

that's... pretty much it, right there. he's a smartass dickhead ~antihero~ who gets in over his head and usually pulls it out anyway

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the original Hellblazer book one of the best things about John is that he has no actual power at all. But the poo poo he has done earned him a terrifying reputation which is enough for him to trade on and get a lot of poo poo done.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

In the original Hellblazer book one of the best things about John is that he has no actual power at all. But the poo poo he has done earned him a terrifying reputation which is enough for him to trade on and get a lot of poo poo done.

I thought it was less "he has no power" and more he's no longer willing to pay the high price it demands. He has access to terrifying amounts of power if I recall, but when he uses it, unintended consequences end up harming, killing or damning his friends and loved ones. So much to the point he's emotionally crippled and can no longer form meaningful, lasting relationships.

I'd always pegged him as the most powerful mortal magic user alive in that universe.

I will admit it's been many, many years since I've read Hellblazer, so I may be misremembering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

flosofl posted:

I thought it was less "he has no power" and more he's no longer willing to pay the high price it demands. He has access to terrifying amounts of power if I recall, but when he uses it, unintended consequences end up harming, killing or damning his friends and loved ones. So much to the point he's emotionally crippled and can no longer form meaningful, lasting relationships.

I'd always pegged him as the most powerful mortal magic user alive in that universe.

I will admit it's been many, many years since I've read Hellblazer, so I may be misremembering.

I'm not sure what you've read but John has no actual power himself. He knows a few tricks but that was about it. He usually had to trick another magician into doing what he wanted. And is friends die just from being friends with him, his bad decisions cost lives.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm literally reading it currently and he's got some power but he gets by on rep and guile mostly. His most famous win involves tricking the three princes of hell.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, he usually wins (or survives) but physical prowess or raw power isn't how he does it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure what you've read but John has no actual power himself. He knows a few tricks but that was about it. He usually had to trick another magician into doing what he wanted. And is friends die just from being friends with him, his bad decisions cost lives.

Yeah, I'm thinking I've mixed some of John Constantine up with Elijah Snow (Planetary), as far as the being powerful thing. It's probably the trench coat.

Like I said, it's been years since I've seen either so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff like that I've mixed up in my head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I'm literally reading it currently and he's got some power but he gets by on rep and guile mostly. His most famous win involves tricking the three princes of hell.

And that trick involved summoning them to talk, that was it. The Paul Jenkins run is where his lack of actual power is best discovered.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

And that trick involved summoning them to talk, that was it. The Paul Jenkins run is where his lack of actual power is best discovered.

Yeah by power I just mean he knows spells and stuff. Demons are always remarking about how lovely he is at magic.

Also the Is the Jenkins run good? I'm got the first 10 trades and ended up skipping about 20 Delano issues to get to Ennis. Dunno really what else is supposed to be good in the first 105 ish issues.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I've mixed some of John Constantine up with Elijah Snow (Planetary), as far as the being powerful thing. It's probably the trench coat.

Like I said, it's been years since I've seen either so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff like that I've mixed up in my head.

That reminds me, we'll probably not get the Trenchcoat Brigade, will we?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Yeah by power I just mean he knows spells and stuff. Demons are always remarking about how lovely he is at magic.

Also the Is the Jenkins run good? I'm got the first 10 trades and ended up skipping about 20 Delano issues to get to Ennis. Dunno really what else is supposed to be good in the first 105 ish issues.

Honestly the Jenkins/Phillips run is my favorite bit of the entire series. They were really pushing it back into a horror book again during their time. I'm also the weird-o who really loves the Azzarello run of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

greatn posted:

Hey have they ever thought about having Tommy Monaghan show up?

I haven't seen any mention of having him show up. Considering the shows treatment of C listers like Anarky, I'm OK with not having Tommy Monaghan show up, since the show would most likely reduce him to being a bad guy because he is a hired killer, and not give any nuance to his character.

• Locked thread