Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rochallor posted:

Rob Schrab mentioned on the Harmontown podcast that the BBC wants him to put one of their properties into the sequel to the Lego Movie, which narrows it down to either Doctor Who or Broadchurch, I suppose.

I'll be livid if it's not Danger Mouse, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Rastamouse is the obvious choice

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At last, Lego Clangers.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It’s going to be Lego Who’s Line Is It Anyway?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

IceAgeComing posted:

nice to see the daily politics getting the recognition that it deserves

No one wants a lego Andrew Neill.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Paladinus posted:

I'll be livid if it's not Danger Mouse, actually.

:911: Ha ha ha, right, Baroney!
:britain: Ha ha ha, si, Baroney!

I know it's the bowdlerized version, but Stiletto only sounds right to me with the Cockney accent.

EDIT - Danger Mouse wasn't BBC, though, was it?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Who's Rob Schrab?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The old one was Cosgrove Hall for Thames, the new one is on CBBC

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Emerson Cod posted:

Who's Rob Schrab?

I'm amazed you can post this without being connected to the internet and thus being capable of finding it out on your own in less time than it took to write this post.

Either way, all the information you need is in the first post: he's a guy working on the Lego Movie sequel.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ITT: non-Brits who think everything is made by the BBC.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

After The War posted:

:911: Ha ha ha, right, Baroney!
:britain: Ha ha ha, si, Baroney!

I know it's the bowdlerized version, but Stiletto only sounds right to me with the Cockney accent.

EDIT - Danger Mouse wasn't BBC, though, was it?

It was ITV, but its new episodes air on CBBC now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah thank you for explaining where the song came from. It was frustrating because it was ubiquitous to the Xmas Specials, but I'd never heard it befor. Which is weird because my parents love Slade to the point I was able to realize Quiet Riot was just a Slade cover band when I was younger.

I don't think we in Canada have a national christmas song, unless you count Bob and Doug McKenzie's 12 days of Christmas. We do have lots of crappy ones from Michael Buble and Diana Krall for people over 60.

There's BBC, ITV, and Sky. Oh and the channel that has all the documentaries about the page 3 girls, which I forgot they name of right now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Which is weird because my parents love Slade to the point I was able to realize Quiet Riot was just a Slade cover band when I was younger.

But they're not :confused:

And that's "list of TV channels" isn't really up to date either :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

You guys have like, three channels right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You guys have like, three channels right?

Yes, and at 9pm when the TV turns off we all have to stand up and salute for the national anthem

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

I did want to go with Misfits originally, but I knew for sure that one wasn't BBC.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
They're launching television in Wales next Tuesday, it's mighty exciting

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MrL_JaKiri posted:

But they're not :confused:

And that's "list of TV channels" isn't really up to date either :v:

Well, their two hits were Cum on Feel the Noise, and Mama we're all crazy now, both Slade songs.

And you guys have more channels now? Amazing!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

America only has three tv networks, right? That's two less than us!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IceAgeComing posted:

The joke about American TV is there's 1000 channels, but nothing good on any of them.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It's very much the same here, especially as the BBC gets its budget cut yet further and if the government decide to privatise the entertainment arm of the thing which apparently is something that they are thinking of doing

Its possibly because all those channels split up less advertising revenue than was available in the past, so they can't afford to make the same level of programmes they did before. Probably a load of crap though

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And then the problem being that in order to get all the good shows, you need to buy a cable package that has a million channels you have no interest on. Yes I really want the cake channel just so I can watch Doctor Who.

Though I read the CRTC, which regulates Canadian TV, said that they're going to force cable companies to stop forcing these packages and let people pick and choose what they want to have. So If you just want the Networks, AMC and the sci-fi and comedy networks, you can just have those.

Does the TV levy in the UK go up when theirs more channels, because I always got the impression that the money from that went directly into the BBC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IceAgeComing posted:

We've had four for like, a bunch of years!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The old one was Cosgrove Hall for Thames, the new one is on CBBC

Paladinus posted:

It was ITV, but its new episodes air on CBBC now.

The same way we have to get used to saying "HBO Series Sesame Street"? :sigh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Does the TV levy in the UK go up when theirs more channels, because I always got the impression that the money from that went directly into the BBC.

The TV License pays for the BBC and their associated projects. Other TV channels are either funded by advertisements or through direct subscription (or, more commonly, both), including Channel 4 - which is state owned, but advertising funded.

After The War posted:

The same way we have to get used to saying "HBO Series Sesame Street"? :sigh:

Does it matter that it goes on a different free to air channel?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

twistedmentat posted:

Well, their two hits were Cum on Feel the Noise, and Mama we're all crazy now, both Slade songs.

Ahem. "Mental Health (Bang Your Head)."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, and at 9pm when the TV turns off we all have to stand up and salute for the national anthem

The Queen herself sits in a CCTV monitoring room watching to see who doesn't. And if you don't......

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You Johnny Foreigner types probably all think we're joking, but we're not. Of course, it really hasn't been the same since they ditched the old balloon idents.

Magnificent.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Trin Tragula posted:

You Johnny Foreigner types probably all think we're joking, but we're not. Of course, it really hasn't been the same since they ditched the old balloon idents.

Magnificent.

Thought it just did this for 12 hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6fjNRuqWM

Something about license fees I expect.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Thought it just did this for 12 hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6fjNRuqWM

Something about license fees I expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWkTQvlnDTI

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Ahem. "Mental Health (Bang Your Head)."

Metal Health.

Anyway, this is the long and short of what Norn Iron's contributed to British television.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

here's an example of bbc scotland's high brow cultural programming

best thing the bbc has ever done imo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_T2rM1mX9I

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

that's number 2

e: holy gently caress i just had to randomly pick the episode with sylvester mccoy in it

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 6, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh, and apparently this is a Christmas thing in Scotland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV56DJO6pH4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Oh, and apparently this is a Christmas thing in Scotland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV56DJO6pH4

Holy poo poo, Tennant looks loving HOT in that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I've never actually seen that before...

Scotland doesn't really get "special" Christmas television because there really isn't time in the schedules to fit something in without bumping Strictly Come Dancing or Doctor Who or some big TV thing. Hogmanay is when they used to push the boat about a bit although these days you only get Its Only An Excuse which is kinda funny although getting very stale, maybe a repeat of Chewing the Fat and the same old shite in the Hogmanay show - probably because they can get away with that because everyone watching that over the age of 18 is probably pissed. BBC Scotland usually push out some half decent comedy every few years, unfortunately very little of it is networked (Still Game was in its later years, I think Limmy was as well) so no one really knows that its there.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/status/662423044099584000

Clayton Hickman posted:

David Whitaker changing Susan's husband's name in the #DoctorWho & the Crusaders book never stops being funny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No wonder that little pigman ran away when it realized it was in 21st Century London in Aliens of London :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

CobiWann posted:

...and this scratched up episode of Doctor Who I found in an old film can in my grandfather’s garage. The Feast of Seven or something?

Woah, what about The Feast of Steven? And on film? That was part of The Dalek's Master Plan, third season arc.

• Locked thread