Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

:coffeepal:

That's an amazing idea! Neutral third faction, two different teams of spies need to infiltrate and steal the same information. So they have to fight in the shadows or whatever whilst still trying to avoid the attention of the neutral AI guards.

I'd like to see a new kind of mission where you have to track/stun a kind of super-spy - in addition to the normal guards, there can be a free roaming agent who acts like a more intelligent alerted guard - like a super-enforcer. You have to stun this agent 3 times to get whatever key card or reward, then you can head for the exit. Each time you stun them, they inflict some daemon or status effect (your agent's vision range is decreased, all guards are alerted to your location, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
This game is incredibly fun, I've just beat it on expert after about 50 hours of gameplay or so, ran with Prism/Archive Banks with Seed and Lockpick as my starting programs.

Oddly enough, I had been trying many different combinations of characters before this and always failed the first or second mission, but with this combo the entire campaign was actually quite doable without much hiccup, though there were a couple of instances where I simply decided to leave the mission in a cybernetics lab because the enhancements weren't any good, wasting several hours.

Has Klei ever commented on releasing additional expansions to the game? Meanwhile, I will probably spend the next new days banging my head against Expert Plus.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Fano posted:

This game is incredibly fun, I've just beat it on expert after about 50 hours of gameplay or so, ran with Prism/Archive Banks with Seed and Lockpick as my starting programs.

Oddly enough, I had been trying many different combinations of characters before this and always failed the first or second mission, but with this combo the entire campaign was actually quite doable without much hiccup, though there were a couple of instances where I simply decided to leave the mission in a cybernetics lab because the enhancements weren't any good, wasting several hours.

Has Klei ever commented on releasing additional expansions to the game? Meanwhile, I will probably spend the next new days banging my head against Expert Plus.

Archive Banks is kind of off in a world of her own in terms of agent balance, because you're going to have way more money to throw around throughout the campaign. You lose out on some of the specific bonuses other agents can provide, but money can smooth over a LOT of rough spots.

There's supposed to be DLC coming sometime in the fall, but the last news about that was months ago and we're kinda running out of fall. Last they said, it was going to be bigger than they originally planned so it might just be taking longer to do.

Expert Plus is a completely different game from Expert, so don't get discouraged! You're going to need to adopt some new habits and learn not to fear the alarm tracker, if you haven't already. If it gives you too much trouble, I found Endless and Time Attack both helped elevate my game a lot prior to Expert Plus. Endless will force you into seemingly impossible situations which can teach you way more about the game than everything going smoothly. Time Attack will make sure you've internalized everything you've learned and make you better at recognizing threats to your plans.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

The DLC is coming soon (tm), I'm on a different game but I'm playtesting it right now and it's pretty fun! I'm excited for it to come out.

re: the last page or so, yeah we definitely took a less simulationist approach than say something like Hitman: Blood Money, where you can do all sorts of fun stuff with putting guns in crates / disguises / AI reactions etc etc. It would have been tons of fun to have that stuff, but at the end of the day I think we just didn't have enough design bandwidth to plan it all out and balance it. I would love to see a procedural sim stealth game one day though :)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I think the most "painless" way to make multiplayer work in this game would be to just add a time limit for each turn: a countdown from, say, 10 or 20 seconds and then the simulation will advance to a new turn using whatever orders were locked in during that time. That way everyone isn't just sitting around bored all the time.

Even if you did that for single player it'd make the game a bit more exciting (but only as its own special mode).

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012
Just saw this over on the Klei forums:

quote:

Join the Klei team this Thursday, November 5th at 3:30 PM PST on our weekly Twitch Dev Cast where we will be previewing Contingency Plan - the upcoming DLC for Invisible. Inc.

Times:
6:30 PM ET (East)
5:30 PM CT (Central)
4:30 PM MT (Mountain)

Where Is It?
On our official Twitch channel here:
http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

When Is It?
Thursday, November 5th at 3:30 PM PST. Here's a handy tool to figure out what time that means for you:
http://www.worldtimebuddy.com

Suffice to say I'm more than a little excited to see what the DLC will be bringing to the game.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
As much as I love that they are making DLC for this... I'd rather see them just make an Invisible Inc: Brood War or whatever in the same vein as "Dont Starve Together" where they keep the gameplay basically the same, but add more content and implement Multiplayer Co-Op. I would gladly pay full price for that and I'm sure they'd get more revenue that way without having to completely revamp their engine (except for the multiplayer part or whatever, I guess).

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

As much as I love that they are making DLC for this... I'd rather see them just make an Invisible Inc: Brood War or whatever in the same vein as "Dont Starve Together" where they keep the gameplay basically the same, but add more content and implement Multiplayer Co-Op. I would gladly pay full price for that and I'm sure they'd get more revenue that way without having to completely revamp their engine (except for the multiplayer part or whatever, I guess).

Taking a game built specifically for single player and adding a multiplayer component is far more daunting than a lot of people realize, that's why klei was so reluctant to add multiplayer to Don't Starve in the first place.

As cool as it would be, that would probably take a very long time. I'd love to see it, but more single player content is fine with me too, as I'm just now getting to my 10th day on Endless Plus and I would like maybe some new characters or items to play around with now that it feels like I'm getting closer to "beating" the game.

Also, drat, it looks like I'm going to be some 30 minutes late to the cast, I wish twitch had a rewind feature instead of having to wait for the VoD to catch it from the beginning.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Young Central, Sam L Jackson, Adam Jenson, Chick from Blade Runner?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

For anyone who missed the announcements at the beginning of the stream, release date is November 12th, $4.99. Among the additions will be new story events during campaigns and Endless mode missions now going up to level 20.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I remember a few months ago they were talking about adding a new corporation to the DLC.

Is that still on the table from their most recent stream?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

They haven't said anything to that effect yet. No new corps, but some new enemies and daemons.

New agent: Draco - Can't raise his skills using credits. He can scan KO'd guards for temporary skill increases, or dead guards for permanent increases.

New augment: Physiology Chip - Sets an agent's Strength to 3, cannot be upgraded further.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Great, the game as is had a touch of pre-AE FTL about it, I loved it but I felt like the pool of items and enemies was just a touch too small.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Invisible Inc was my GOTY this year, and I'm excited for the update. I'm hoping the new stuff is as good as what's already in the game. Some of the new programs they added in August were a bit underwhelming, and diluted the item pool. Hacking a server terminal to only find Wings and Bandit ((?) the one that revealed a safe) was pretty disappointing.

Draco's an interesting concept. I wonder if he gets better bonuses from the advanced guards.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Draco is a great concept, looking forward to seeing how he works.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

oohhboy posted:

Young Central, Sam L Jackson, Adam Jenson, Chick from Blade Runner?

Chick from Blade Runner is clearly Mathilda from Leon, the Professional :colbert:

Iron Man seems to be there too.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Draco is a great concept, looking forward to seeing how he works.

:agreed: I love design that changes how the core gameplay is approached

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Helical Nightmares posted:

:agreed: I love design that changes how the core gameplay is approached

you mean you don't mercilessly slaughter every guard you come across? :confused:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Bodies cost money, yo.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
The Contingency Plan DLC is now available for purchase! :toot:

Steam Store page posted:

Invisible, Inc. Contingency Plan is an expansion that extends the campaign time and adds new rewards and danger to the base game of Invisible Inc.

Explore more strategies with four new Agents, two new starting programs, new weapons, items, and augments. Learn them well as the corporations have added a variety of new threats and challenges to test the Operator's skills in a lengthened campaign.

Key Features

- More Starting Options: Four more Agents added to the roster bring some radical new potential to your teams along with two new starting programs.

- More Corporate Challenge: Every corporation has expanded their roster with both new units and abilities as well as more advanced versions of familiar guards.

- Lengthened Campaign: A complication in the middle of the campaign creates a new unique mission that adds new challenges and more time to develop your team.

- Deeper Endless: Missions can now go past difficulty 10 up to difficulty 20 to keep the pressure on as your agency powers up.

- Side Objectives: New situations will present themselves that will provide some rewards at the cost of some risk.

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 12, 2015

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Ran the Draco + Archive Salem dream team and ended up with a body count of 10 on the first mission. That's about 5000CR worth of skill points, not too shabby.

Edit: Oh huh, all the security levels on the mission map are at level 2, I wonder why...

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 12, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I went all in on Draco/Rush/Burst/Golem for my new game, and two missions in it's going fine.

Draco is really fun even if you don't have lethal solutions on hand. The random bonuses you get from scanning KO'd enemies can be all sorts of things... I've found credits, PWR, and AP so far.

Rush is okay, starting with +1 Speed is always good. Her ability lets her annihilate people if she's sprinting, so I imagine she's perfect if you run afoul of a guard that needs to be destroyed that turn, like one that spots another agent. She doesn't really fit my playstyle, but I be people who like Nika will like her.

Burst is a really cool power solution. 0 cost, +3 PWR, and +3 AP on all agents for the turn. Has a 3 turn cooldown, and during the cooldown all your agents have -3 AP. I like it because you can get a quick PWR injection or some extra AP right when you need it most, as long as you can manage the AP reduction on the following turns.

Golem seems like a solid starter program since it's 2 firewalls. It starts at 4 PWR and its cost goes down by 1 every turn you don't use it, then snaps back to 4 when you do. Early on it's easy to space hacks out so that it costs 0-2, and if you're hitting terminals or have a stable PWR flow you can afford big hacks every few turns.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zombie Samurai posted:

I went all in on Draco/Rush/Burst/Golem for my new game, and two missions in it's going fine.

Draco is really fun even if you don't have lethal solutions on hand. The random bonuses you get from scanning KO'd enemies can be all sorts of things... I've found credits, PWR, and AP so far.

Rush is okay, starting with +1 Speed is always good. Her ability lets her annihilate people if she's sprinting, so I imagine she's perfect if you run afoul of a guard that needs to be destroyed that turn, like one that spots another agent. She doesn't really fit my playstyle, but I be people who like Nika will like her.

Burst is a really cool power solution. 0 cost, +3 PWR, and +3 AP on all agents for the turn. Has a 3 turn cooldown, and during the cooldown all your agents have -3 AP. I like it because you can get a quick PWR injection or some extra AP right when you need it most, as long as you can manage the AP reduction on the following turns.

Golem seems like a solid starter program since it's 2 firewalls. It starts at 4 PWR and its cost goes down by 1 every turn you don't use it, then snaps back to 4 when you do. Early on it's easy to space hacks out so that it costs 0-2, and if you're hitting terminals or have a stable PWR flow you can afford big hacks every few turns.

After a couple hours of playing, I feel like Burst should be named "Addiction." You end up using it because you really need that +3 power right now or because you need that +3AP to get out of a situation (you'll need one of those eventually), and then your agents are crippled for 2 turns... but on the second turn you get Burst back, so you could immediately use it to get those +3 AP and cancel out the downsides! Which if you're in a bad spot, you might really really need to do.

But if you keep feeding the addiction immediately, you end up in this feedback loop where you get +3 power one turn and -3AP for all agents on the next turn and you keep swapping between them. Your agents are just much slower every other turn for very little benefit over Power Drip or Dynamo.

It's still a good program because that +3 AP can be a lifesaver, especially in the early game when you've got nothing yet, but the downsides can really feed into themselves and keep you down for a long long time if you let them. It's a power-gaining program that you really can't rely on. I love it for how tactical it is but feeding Burst's addiction can be very costly.

I kinda like Golem but it leaves you very power-hungry, especially if the map has a lot of early cameras or safes or other things you really want to hack right now. I don't think I'll use it much, when Mercenary and Parasite are both counter-options.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

you can start a new game with a full 4 agent roster???

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I believe Burst and Golem are the Incognita program selections in that setup.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Klei games are free to play this weekend on Steam, so looks like its a good time to check this out and finally buy it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Angry Diplomat posted:

I believe Burst and Golem are the Incognita program selections in that setup.

You are correct, Burst and Golem are the new starting programs.

Burst is a power gaining program. It costs 0 to use, gives you +3 Power when used, and gives all your agents +3 AP when used. It has a 2 turn Cooldown, and each time the cooldown ticks, your agents lose 3 AP.

So for example, if I use Burst on turn 1, my agents get +3 AP and I get three power. On turn 2, the cooldown ticks down at the start of the turn, and each Agent gets -3 AP. On turn 3, the cooldown ticks down at the start of the turn, and each Agent gets -3 AP, and Burst is available to use again. If I use it immediately on turn 3, it will cancel out its own downside, give +3 Power, and then start back on its cooldown. If I do not use it again, then my Agents will have their normal AP available to them again from turn 4 onwards.

Golem is a firewall breaker program. It breaks 2 Firewalls for 4 Power. At the beginning of each turn, its cost reduces by 1, but each time you use it, its cost resets to 4 Power. So if you use it once every turn, it will cost 3 power for 2 Firewalls and be essentially a Lockpick 2.0. If you wait a few turns, it can let you hack a thing very cheaply, as its cost slowly reduces down to 0.

Overall, though, Golem is a very power hungry program and you'll want to buy a Lockpick, a Parasite, or, best option, a Nova program ASAP, because while it is very good for a playstyle where you hack things occasionally, it is just dreadful if you run into a turn where you need to hack two or three things to proceed. And that comes up a lot.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Zombie Samurai posted:

So can you scan a guy, execute him, then scan him again?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abardam posted:

So can you scan a guy, execute him, then scan him again?

Nope. Once only.

The difficulty is even steeper than before and they haven't made your guys any better to compensate. So far Nika with a TAG gun is really saving the day.

They nerfed the the hell out of the disruptors as anything higher than level one requires a charge pack if you want to use it more than once a mission. Not happy about this especially since they have daemons that increases everyone's armour. Really need some more effective armour piercing options since hiding is never always an option. Mid-campaign special mission is almost as hard as hitting omni corp pre-expansion.

I've done some of the side missions that pop-up mid mission and so far they haven't really paid off outside of some credits. Hacking a research terminal only give you a free random program. It's not worth the trouble since you have to get a FOB off a civilian and find a specific terminal and wait for it to finish while hoping you have space and is something you actually want.

The expansion really needs a balance pass.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
There was a free update a few months ago, right? I've had this installed on my desktop since early access, but didn't really get back into it until the other day. Now I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing out on, content-wise (since I'm pretty sure the update I vaguely remember happened after my home internet got cut off in July or August).

Still figuring stuff out and playing on Beginner, but have had to restart a couple times so I have access to Shaylem, Banks, and Parasite. Deckard's augment seems like it's not all that useful, so I'm running a Banks/Internationale team right now. Parasite seems like a neat program, but I've caught myself on camera before since even if it breaks their firewalls on a turn they apparently still 'catch' you before being flipped, so I stuck with Lockpick in my current game.

So far I've learned that going lethal is expensive as hell (I foolishly assumed Shaylem's gun would be reloaded between missions) and TAG Guns are godly. Also Banks + the augment that gives you 6AP on a melee KO is fun. :getin:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

That free update added a mess of new programs and two new versions of some agents I don't think you've unlocked yet. The DLC came out yesterday if you want to get fully up to speed.

Parasite is ridiculously good but requires a ton of planning. As you discovered, Parasite doesn't tick until after your turn starts, which means cameras switching on after Alarm Level 1 still spot you. Firewalls will also get an extra turn on you at Alarm Level 2 because they increment before Parasite gets to them. You can get a neat combo going with Seed and Parasite where if you set only one Parasite per turn, you can pretty much hack the entire mission for free.

Lethal seems expensive but you should always keep the option on hand for particularly troublesome guards. Charge Packs are consumables that will refill a weapon's ammo COMPLETELY, so you can get more out of them by using them on Shalem's rifle and Hand Cannons, if you can find them. Keep an eye out for Flurry Guns, too... they have infinite ammo but can only be fired for one turn per mission.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I actually got a flurry gun from a... security dispatch? mission the other night, just before screwing up and having to restart. The infinite ammo bit seems nice, but if you can only use it one turn per mission is it really worth using an item slot for it?

I'm still trying to pin down how best to allocate money early on. It seems like you really, really want Strength and Anarchy 2 (for pickpocketing passcards, and being able to drag gaurds faster than a snail). Internationale's wireless uplink thing makes her a pretty good choice to run around hacking terminals with, so I've been neglecting Hacking on my other agent. But everyone is going to want Speed at max ASAP. And this is before you consider keeping money in reserve for nanofabs, server farms, Monst3r
s random goodies, etc. :(

I think next time I need to restart I will try Shaylem/Internationale, and make it a point to hold onto charge packs. Outright merking guards certainly makes getting around easier in the latter half of missions...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

One free kill on an Armor 2 guard every mission is probably the best use of an inventory slot you can get. A Hand Cannon or even a Cooker and a Charge Pack can get you out of more trouble on a single mission, but a Flurry Gun can be your last resort on EVERY mission. It's just a really good intersection of lethal, reusable, and armor-piercing.

Managing your money is very much personal preference. For me, I don't spend any money on skills until I'm got almost all the programs, gear, and augments I want, because there's nothing worse than finding a Flurry Gun or a Shock Trap III and not being able to afford it. I mostly spend on skills to hit the requirements for the items I find, and to shore up weaknesses (Anarchy 2 if no one starts with it, Speed 2 on the 7 AP agents, etc). Maxing Speed is a big help but it doesn't give you new tactical options like weapons and programs do.

Strength is probably the most important to me, since you need inventory slots to carry all your gear and loot and drag bodies out of the way. Speed is what you pump if you have no other pressing needs, Anarchy past 2 is just for item requirements, and Hacking you can generally ignore unless you have PWR problems or are running an Econ Chip.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 13, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The thing about the Flurry Gun as I recall being discussed earlier is that it is not actually one shot per mission. It is one shot per agent per mission, aka three shots per mission if you have three agents and so on. You could kill quite a lot of guards if you are willing to football around with a few of them. e: Also Nika gets to shoot twice with one so three guns become six kills even if you don't pass them around for more.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zombie Samurai posted:

One free kill on an Armor 2 guard every mission is probably the best use of an inventory slot you can get.

RIP backpacks full of Mk3 Cloaks.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have this weird bug where all the multi page dialog skips to the end. When I try to go back with the arrows it does the same thing.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I have this weird bug where all the multi page dialog skips to the end. When I try to go back with the arrows it does the same thing.

Dumb question, but is there something on your keyboard?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

oohhboy posted:

They nerfed the the hell out of the disruptors as anything higher than level one requires a charge pack if you want to use it more than once a mission.

That isn't true actually! I think you had found a Mk4 Disruptor and didn't realize. The Mk2s and Mk3s I found in my game work the same as they always did.

The expansion added in Mk4 tiers of every single kind of tiered gear in the game (probably), but I've only found Mk 4 Busters, Disruptors, and a Stim. The Mk4 gear is stronger than any other of its kind but it is only use-able once per mission, but you can give them a second use during a mission by using a Charge Pack. The Mk4 Disruptor I saw had AP3 and stunned them for 4 turns, the Mk4 Thermal Disruptor had AP4 and cost only 1 Power per Armor of the target, the Buster 4 broke through 10 firewalls, and the Stim 4 gave an agent +10AP and infinite attacks on the turn it was used. They seem really nuts, I can't wait to see how crazy a Shock Trap 4 or an EMP Pack 4 are. The Mk4 Disruptors don't really seem worth it, though - the main upside to disruptors is their extreme re-usability.

Also I feel like the new day 3 mission in the DLC is waaaay harder than the old end mission used to be. The new Alarm Levels are incredibly unforgiving, and I have a strong feeling that the final level is going to use them too. I haven't got that far to find out. Playing with the Contingency Plan DLC's version of the Story Mode is something you should really not do until you want more challenge out of the game, it's rough.

I still recommend getting it though because all the new agents and items are rad and you can still use them in non-Contingency Story Mode. The DLC has toggles that let you set which aspects of the new DLC you want in and which you don't and that's really great.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Russad posted:

Dumb question, but is there something on your keyboard?

Nope. I even restarted my computer.

I didn't have this problem with the base game so maybe the dlc messed something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mistake then. Day 3 is pretty brutal and unlike vanilla Day 3 it is pretty tight quarters. I am still on my first expert run on the expansion but I am not kidding about having the TAG gun saving the day. Just constantly threading the eye of the needle. I wish for OMNI enforcers because I can power down their shield to kill. Waiting for the jet was tense as hell and penalised you for killing.

Has anybody run into any side missions that is worth the trouble doing?

• Locked thread