Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Rygar201 posted:

That's the first time I've seen someone say Windlass was too steampunk. It's usually people claiming it's not Steampunk enough!

I actually missed a word in there, I meant to say not overly steampunk for no good reason.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Cue Captain Grimm kneeling in front of a Statue of Liberty Big Ben slamming his fist into the sands

Nah, that only works if the person in question can recognize the landmark. To Grimm it'd just be a weird statue. Time Travel Harry Dresden forward to see it, and then you've got something.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

thrawn527 posted:

I'll check out Neverwhere, thanks.

Sandman is a comic, right? I'm not against that, per se, but I'm more looking for books to read on my Paper White Kindle.

Also a comic but Murder Mysteries by Neil Gaiman is super good. And it's less of a commitment than the 10 volume Sandman.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

KellHound posted:

Also a comic but Murder Mysteries by Neil Gaiman is super good. And it's less of a commitment than the 10 volume Sandman.

There's also his run on Spawn if you want to relive the early 90's :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

KellHound posted:

If this is what I think it is it's based on a short story from Smoke and Mirrors.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So Grimm is the best character in the book, right? I've enjoyed his parts more than any of the others combined. Not disliking the other characters, mind you, but all I'm getting from this book is "The Adventures of Captain Grimm & His Sassy Sidekicks."

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

So Grimm is the best character in the book, right? I've enjoyed his parts more than any of the others combined. Not disliking the other characters, mind you, but all I'm getting from this book is "The Adventures of Captain Grimm & His Sassy Sidekicks."

I really liked the cats. Considering I expected to hate them, that's pretty cool!

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

I thought Grimm was utterly flat and boring as a character. I couldn't name a personality trait of his outside of "broody" and "cares for his crew".

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

He had a good dry wit too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The cats are good too, my bad. Grimm and cats. There ya go.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Actually, I rather like Folly. She shows the serious cost to using magic in this setting, and has some fun scenes as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Stephanie Meyer is producing a tv series for Hulu based on Daniel O'Malley The Rook.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

What the gently caress is wrong with whoever came up with this idea?

The Rook is a good book, but Stephanie Meyer is terrible. This is going to be awful.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with whoever came up with this idea?

The Rook is a good book, but Stephanie Meyer is terrible. This is going to be awful.

She's producing it, though. Which means she's basically putting her money/influence behind, not actually writing it. I choose to remain warily optimistic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I just hope they keep/emphasise the humor; the exposition documents were my favorite part of that book.
Here's hoping she won't insist on cramming a romance in there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well.. they're making a tv series and there's only one book out. I doubt she'll twist anyone's arm just to indulge her vile romancing inclinations, but I think some sort of a love interest is a pretty safe bet.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Ulrich is going to be the main character, you watch.

EDIT: Meyer is going to have things changed so that Ulrich is the love interest.

:gonk:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Ghost Story, I enjoyed the change of place and was legitimately surprised by who killed him. I figured out who the non-spirit who talks in caps was really early so I could join some dots together.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

bowmore posted:

Just finished Ghost Story, I enjoyed the change of place and was legitimately surprised by who killed him. I figured out who the non-spirit who talks in caps was really early so I could join some dots together.

You were surprised by that? I thought that was the least surprising thing. Unless you're referring to who set it up.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

why oh WHY posted:

You were surprised by that? I thought that was the least surprising thing. Unless you're referring to who set it up.
Yeah I was referring to who set it up.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
So I see people talking about Mirror, Mirror, which I think is two books ahead of the current one, right? Has Butcher said something about the twist for that book? I haven't really been following it closely, I've just been re-reading the current books.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gygaxian posted:

So I see people talking about Mirror, Mirror, which I think is two books ahead of the current one, right? Has Butcher said something about the twist for that book? I haven't really been following it closely, I've just been re-reading the current books.

The twist is that we finally meet Mirror Harry with a Goatee from the Mirror Universe.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Gygaxian posted:

He mentioned in his last reddit AMA that mirror universe harry will be different from OT Harry because of a single choice and it's consequences, so there was a lot of enjoyable speculation about what the point of divergence is going to be.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gygaxian posted:

In one of his Reddit AMAs, he said "Mirror universe Harry is different by one choice. One. And everything else just follows after that."

There's been a lot of speculation in this thread about what that one choice will be.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Chickenshits out and starts working for Marcone in Storm Front.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I hope it's something tiny and mundane. A choice just consequential enough that Dresden remembers making it, but so minor that he never even considered the alternate path having an impact on his life. On the flip side, if Butcher decides to go with something big, then have it be Harry performing the Darkhallow. That's easily the biggest "could have," of any choice he's been offered and if there's one thing Butcher loves to do it's raise the stakes.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

My money is still on Harry taking up a coin, given Butcher's weirdly specific answer to someone who asked what would've happened if the Denarians had been involved in Changes.

Jim Butcher posted:

Scanning back on it, if the Denarians had been involved, Harry would probably have had to lean more toward Lasciel as his get-out-of-paralysis-free card, and Nicodemus as his new best frenemy rather than Mab, in order to make the whole thing work out. He would have instantly come into conflict with Sanya, as well, over the possession of the Swords, and maybe with Murphy as well. Molly would have had to make a really horrible choice at that point, and probably would have walked out of it even more guilty and more ready to destroy herself after Harry's shooting. She probably would have wound up a Denarian herself.

Wow, that's a dark story. Who would come up with something like that? What's wrong with you?

MildShow fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 25, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I still think that he's going to invite Susan to the masquerade ball in Grave Peril.

If he does this, Susan will be a protected guest. That means that Harry won't get pushed into starting a war with the Red Court. And that means that the Red Court will be completely ready for it when they attack the White Council. White Council gets hosed up and Harry ends up in a position where black magic is the only way to save either himself or somebody else. After that he falls into the whole ends-justify-the-means traps because of that "once you bend, it's easier to be bent" thing and goes Dark Harry.

I like this change because Susan is one of his big regrets and I think it'll mess him up when he sees the effects of letting her go with him.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Our Harry is dark Harry. Mirror Harry scoots around in a magic wheelchair.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Our Harry is dark Harry. Mirror Harry scoots around in a magic wheelchair.

I hope he's bald. "To me, my Dres-men!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, it would kind of own if MIrror Mirror Harry was in fact the dude who didn't make that choice and was just a legitimately more moral and balance but arguably less successful Harry because he gave up his physical capabilities.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Except how did wheelchair Harry avoid getting killed by the Red Court ritual?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

The Slithery D posted:

Gray Council shows up, McCoy does a tap dance on everyone's faces with destructive magic, dunks the Red King, and is overwhelmed and killed/consumed by the Blackstaff for overusing its power.

At some point they state that Morgan went one on one with the Red King and beat his rear end (specifically that he would have killed the Red King if the Red King's underlings hadn't saved him and whisked him away), so McCoy could do it too

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Slithery D posted:

Turns out being in a wheelchair is one of those curse loopholes, like how Lleu could only be killed at dusk, wrapped in a net with one foot on a cauldron and one on a goat and with a spear forged for a year during the hours when everyone is at mass.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I'm rereading Fool Moon, and I wouldn't be surprised if the choice is to sign Marcone's contract. Harry hemmed and hawed over it and how it would vastly improve his life and give him time to do research. That would put him in Marcone's power, and give him the money and time to explore his darker nature. A minor compromise in his morals that could easily spiral out of control.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Personally, I'd love for it to be that Mirror Harry is the better guy who made a decision that made his world better than our Harry's. Have our Harry be the one in the goatee. He is the Winter Knight and all....

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Personally, I'd love for it to be that Mirror Harry is the better guy who made a decision that made his world better than our Harry's. Have our Harry be the one in the goatee. He is the Winter Knight and all....

It'd be interesting if Mirror Harry is the better guy and, in Peace Talks, our Harry starts to unravel some (ie the Winter Knight mantle starts getting under his skin) and Mirror Harry helps him pull it together.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Magres posted:

It'd be interesting if Mirror Harry is the better guy and, in Peace Talks, our Harry starts to unravel some (ie the Winter Knight mantle starts getting under his skin) and Mirror Harry helps him pull it together.

Turns out that the one decision is mirror harry chose hats.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Not hanging around here because I'm still working through Dresden Files (starting White Night now), but I had to say that I took a spur of the moment decision to read The Rook, and it was just pure awesomeness. Thank you all for the recommendation in the first post!

Besides such an awesome main character, I got chills reading about Eckhart's description of his duel with the skinless Grafter dude (no way am I trying to transcribe his name from the audiobook). Also, girl who just flies really high up and drops her indestructible body onto enemies? Badass as all get out.

All in all, awesome. I really hope the mini-series doesn't suck.

Now I'm going to run out of this thread like hell before I accidentally have something Dresden spoiled for me. I'll see you all once I'm caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

White Night is one of the more polarizing books in the series. It seems like most of the readers either hate it or love it.

Personally, its one of my favorites in the series.