Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

He could just be going senile. I mean, he did retire a few years back so it's not like he's a danger in the operating room because of it.

He really is Reaganesque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"america became a great nation early on... because it was flooded with people who understood the value of hard work" -a black candidate, speaking to black americans in a pandering fashion

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He understands very well how humans work in a literal sense, but doesn't understand relationships. Coming to CBS next fall.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Someone hired an educational consultant to figure out what the youth these days want. This sounds a lot like the most superficial "multiculturalism" books in the field of education that perpetually sound 20 years out of date.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Carson just reminds me of the dude from Big Bang Theory where every episode is about how smart he is yet he has to have it explained to him like a child that he's being a huge douchebag to everyone.

Jazerus posted:

Someone hired an educational consultant to figure out what the youth these days want. This sounds a lot like the most superficial "multiculturalism" books in the field of education that perpetually sound 20 years out of date.

He should have just gotten these guys and saved some cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzhGQ0F54u4

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Joementum posted:

:iceburn: from the Wall Street Journal

poo poo, they're just being mean now.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

It's a real missed opportunity that Dr. Carson didn't do the rapping himself. (Somebody's doing the rapping)

"I'm Doctor Ben Carson and I'm here to say
You're gonna burn in Hell if you choose to be gay."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Justus posted:

It's a real missed opportunity that Dr. Carson didn't do the rapping himself. (Somebody's doing the rapping)

"I'm Doctor Ben Carson and I'm here to say
You're gonna burn in Hell if you choose to be gay."
He's burning that sick flute loop if it's any consolation. Gotta be ready for the talent portion of the contest.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Hodgepodge posted:

The Bernie is racist thing

Is a fallacy. The one where you claim your opponent made a stronger claim than they did, prove the stronger claim false, then declare victory without ever addressing the actual claim. The charge laid at Bernies feet is ignorance/disinterest of racial and gender issues.

So, for example, a person unaware of the details of gamergaters might agree that ethics in game journalism are important. Why not? Ethics are good. We like ethics. That same person, once updated on the gamergaters communities behavior towards women, would probably not want to be seen positively endorsing their slogan. And would either dodge the question or conditionally affirm it with the statement that the gamergaters movement isn't interested in ethics and show no ethics of their own.

When someone repeats a dog whistle their are only two possibilities. They know what it means or they don't. You can make a very good case that Bernie doesn't mean his whistles. But the best case scenario here is still ignorance/disinterest. Which he is on the record saying btw ... He's made it clear that he views economic and social issues as separate and sees social issues as mere symptoms of economic issues. He doesn't feel it is the job of the president to try to fix social issues, just the more fundamental/important/real economic issues.

I disagree with this assertion in its entirety. These social issues, to me, are economic issues. They are inextricably intertwined and I don't believe any progress can be made by ignoring either part. They have to be worked on at the same time. Period. So to me, Bernie means well but doesn't "get it" the way Clinton does. Likewise if you believe that economic and social issues are unrelated then you will probably feel that Bernie "gets it" while Clinton wastes time with unimportant things.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oh god life is turning into 30 rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbG4RT1yMlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8Nd6kkWmo

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"america became a great nation early on... because it was flooded with people who understood the value of hard work" -a black candidate, speaking to black americans in a pandering fashion

Maybe he's just referring to wages being too low, and therefore the workers should rise up and take control of their workplaces to increase pay. If people better understood the value of hard work they would rise up and throw off their reins, getting what they deserve for what they produce.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

"First, they came for the dank memes - I did not speak out, because I was not an Internet hipster."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

McAlister posted:

Is a fallacy. The one where you claim your opponent made a stronger claim than they did, prove the stronger claim false, then declare victory without ever addressing the actual claim. The charge laid at Bernies feet is ignorance/disinterest of racial and gender issues.

So, for example, a person unaware of the details of gamergaters might agree that ethics in game journalism are important. Why not? Ethics are good. We like ethics. That same person, once updated on the gamergaters communities behavior towards women, would probably not want to be seen positively endorsing their slogan. And would either dodge the question or conditionally affirm it with the statement that the gamergaters movement isn't interested in ethics and show no ethics of their own.

When someone repeats a dog whistle their are only two possibilities. They know what it means or they don't. You can make a very good case that Bernie doesn't mean his whistles. But the best case scenario here is still ignorance/disinterest. Which he is on the record saying btw ... He's made it clear that he views economic and social issues as separate and sees social issues as mere symptoms of economic issues. He doesn't feel it is the job of the president to try to fix social issues, just the more fundamental/important/real economic issues.

I disagree with this assertion in its entirety. These social issues, to me, are economic issues. They are inextricably intertwined and I don't believe any progress can be made by ignoring either part. They have to be worked on at the same time. Period. So to me, Bernie means well but doesn't "get it" the way Clinton does. Likewise if you believe that economic and social issues are unrelated then you will probably feel that Bernie "gets it" while Clinton wastes time with unimportant things.

This is bullshit though Bernie Sanders has been talking about social justice issues at length as a seperate issue completely than economics for months ever since he was criticized on it and has a detailed platform on it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

greatn posted:

This is bullshit though Bernie Sanders has been talking about social justice issues at length as a seperate issue completely than economics for months ever since he was criticized on it and has a detailed platform on it.

And you really fail to see how adding some talking points and a page on his website fails to alleviate the concerns people are raising?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Trabisnikof posted:

And you really fail to see how adding some talking points and a page on his website fails to alleviate the concerns people are raising?
Since Bernie came out with his social justice platform, the proper retort has indeed turned into "it doesn't matter what he does or says, he's clearly a racist, he's just trying to hide it now."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JT Jag posted:

Since Bernie came out with his social justice platform, the proper retort has indeed turned into "it doesn't matter what he does or says, he's clearly a racist, he's just trying to hide it now."

Thanks for the report from the minds of delusional bernouts, but that's not what's going on in reality.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JT Jag posted:

No I'm pretty sure Bernie is a racist, here's a sentence I cherry picked out of article that is immediately disproved by the proceeding sentence.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

You mean doing exactly what those criticizing him say he should do? And in addition to that he's done outreach and meet with activists and hired activists on as staff.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

McAlister posted:

So to me, Bernie means well but doesn't "get it" the way Clinton does.

Clinton throwing the BLM protesters out of her rally a week ago - in contrast to Sanders conceding to them the stage - must be her "getting it".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Why can't you handle someone articulating that they believe Sanders might not understand racism in contemporary America without trying to twist everything into the "you're saying Sanders is racist" strawman?

Someone earlier was right, none of this is about goading Sanders, his supporters are too easy prey.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

greatn posted:

You mean doing exactly what those criticizing him say he should do? And in addition to that he's done outreach and meet with activists and hired activists on as staff.

Its almost as if Trabisnikof and McAlister don't actually care about what Bernie says or does :monocle:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bernie Sanders' blatant racism is only the tip of the iceberg, he's also clearly sexist and a self-hating antisemite

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Its almost as if Trabisnikof and McAlister don't actually care about what Bernie says or does :monocle:

statistically, most democrats dont

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

statistically, most democrats dont

True but thats from disinterest rather than being a hack

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

JT Jag posted:

Bernie Sanders' blatant racism is only the tip of the iceberg, he's also clearly sexist and a self-hating antisemite

he's not even one of the good ones

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I hear Bernie Sanders doesn't even own a comb. What an amateur.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

He hurts our economy by not getting haircuts, do we want someone that selfish as President

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

You know who had meticulously combed hair.....

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

JT Jag posted:

He hurts our economy by not getting haircuts, do we want someone that selfish as President

The Clinton's have a track record of supporting the American economy via expensive haircuts, where are the great clips receipts bernie????

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Eisenhower, dude who helped beat Hitler?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

David Duchovny?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgWy9t-n7UY

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Bushiz posted:

I would not be the least surprised if these prods from hillary aren't meant to be actual attacks on bernie, but meant to provoke pro-sanders people into going into embarrassing histrionics.

changing my answer here

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bernie Sanders has stairs in his house, but is he protected? Our report at 8.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He's not wrong.

He didn't specify it was THEIR hard work, and they knew how much to pay for those hard workers.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Thanks for the report from the minds of delusional bernouts, but that's not what's going on in reality.

If you really believe that Bernie has no chance (which I basically agree with) what is your motivation to continue the idiotic "Bernie is racist" meme or your constant attacks on Bernie supporters? Why do you even care? Why are Bernie supporters more worthy of engagement than say O'Malley or Lessig supporters? It seems to me that the only answer is that you enjoy making people angry.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

If you really believe that Bernie has no chance (which I basically agree with) what is your motivation to continue the idiotic "Bernie is racist" meme or your constant attacks on Bernie supporters? Why do you even care? Why are Bernie supporters more worthy of engagement than say O'Malley or Lessig supporters? It seems to me that the only answer is that you enjoy making people angry.

O'Malley and Lessig supporters would have to exist in order to be engaged.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MaxxBot posted:

If you really believe that Bernie has no chance (which I basically agree with) what is your motivation to continue the idiotic "Bernie is racist" meme or your constant attacks on Bernie supporters?

To the first, I don't do that. To the second, because saying anything reality based about bernie sanders leads to total meltdowns like you just did. Consult a therapist.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Kalman posted:

O'Malley and Lessig supporters would have to exist in order to be engaged.

This is a perfectly valid point but for example I hate Bobby Jindal but I don't go out of my way to track down his 5 supporters and ridicule them, because he has no chance of winning. Fishmech thinks Sanders has no chance of winning but deems it vitally important to trash his supporters at every possible opportunity because he's an annoying troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What is the evidence for the Bernie not understanding/caring about race in America stuff? I'm actually quite curious, since on that front I'm only aware of him ceding the floor to the BLM activists and talking about race on the stump. Is there some ugly stuff in his record? Or is it just "dude from Vermont can't care about black people."

• Locked thread