Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

not a street. ban.

Also a back of the hand. Make it a perma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VendaGoat posted:

Also a back of the hand. Make it a perma

I hope you see the backs of more hands in the near future

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I got some old butts for you all:

20151001-UFxTreme_XD11_Fall2015013
by Bud, on Flickr

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I was wondering around the city today, and saw lots of people taking pictures. I also learned about this guy from my city (Brisbane): http://oh-hi.info

You dudes that shoot and have people notice you, how do you do it? How do you not get everyone you photograph come up and smack you in the head, even if you live in a country like mine where you don't have the right to privacy in a public place UNLESS the photographer is using the photo to jack off/to sell something that isn't the photo itself.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 3, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

99% of people never say anything and who gives a poo poo about the 1% that do? Politely say you're just out taking pictures and that's that. End of discussion. If people want to know more about you/your work, sure, oblige them. But the moment they get upset or pissy? Conversation over. People always say 'grow a thick skin', I always thought of it more as "who cares what some random on the street thinks about you?"

I know some people on here offer to delete the pictures if they upset the subject but I am 100% against that. No. I'm sorry, we live in an age where literally every person has a camera on them at all times and you could be photographed at any second without knowing it. Get used to it.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 3, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember being out and someone had a go at my friend for taking his photo 'without permission'. As he walked down the British road where about 30 CCTV cameras will pick up his image by the time he gets to where he's going.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I dunno. Maybe I do just care too much what people think of me, probably doesn't help that I look like a bit of a nerd. The idea of taking photos sounds good, and I'm confident and big enough to stand my ground, but I'm not confident enough to do it in the first place. I guess I guess I don't want to come across as a creep. I don't want to take lovely back photos either.

I've heard the argument about CCTV cameras before and personally I see the difference being that you know the CCTV/security cameras are there, and they are there for security, not just to take a picture of you. I guess I just gotta go and take pictures and avoid white soccer mums.

I'm pretty sure I caught someone taking my picture today, which I thought was flattering, cause IMO I look decidedly average. It's kinda why I started looking at street stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

.. and they are there for security, not just to take a picture of you.

Given the current debates over privacy over here, I wish I could believe that but I simply don't. The government simply believe they need to have the power to know everything about everyone at all times. CCTV has been a big issue over here for years. But I understand your point.

Could always make a badge with some 'credentials' on it. People love seeing badges and clipboards and other official seeming things, and won't question it if they think you're shooting for the press rather than a potential creeper.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Here there's nothing like that. It's pretty accepted that in public places, especially places like banks, petrol stations, and train stations, you will be filmed for security and if you don't like it, you are free to not go there. I've heard stories about London's obsession with CCTV on every corner but here you barely notice them outside of places where it makes sense to have them for security

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well then, if anyone asks just say you're taking photos for their security. If they don't like it, they are free not to go there.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you are already convinced that you won't ever be comfortable taking picture of people then I do not think this is the art form for you

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you are already convinced that you won't ever be comfortable taking picture of people then I do not think this is the art form for you

No, I don't know how to get comfortable, not that I think I can't

big scary monsters posted:

Well then, if anyone asks just say you're taking photos for their security. If they don't like it, they are free not to go there.

I dunno about where you live but if I said that to someone here, they'd almost definitely hit me. I think I'm coming across as a bit of a wuss, it's not that, I'm perfectly ok with telling people to gently caress off when they get up in my face and I'm tall enough to be imposing to back that up. I've done it before. Except its been for things like some crazy gently caress lady who followed me into a shopping center and threatened me with her totally not made up bikie boyfriend because she stepped out from behind bushes without looking and I nearly ran her over and refused to apologise. Totally her fault, and I felt completely justified calling her a dumb oval office and telling her to shut up.

I can see it being harder to justify to myself and being less confident about it if I got confronted over something as personal as a photo.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 3, 2015

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm always uncomfortable when I get out, but after I take a few photos I start getting into the flow and don't really care anymore. The first few photos don't have to be good, they're just sacrificial frames to get you going. If you're worried you look like a nerd, learn to dress yourself.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

I dunno about where you live but if I said that to someone here, they'd almost definitely hit me. I think I'm coming across as a bit of a wuss, it's not that, I'm perfectly ok with telling people to gently caress off when they get up in my face and I'm tall enough to be imposing to back that up. I've done it before. Except its been for things like some crazy gently caress lady who followed me into a shopping center and threatened me with her totally not made up bikie boyfriend because she stepped out from behind bushes without looking and I nearly ran her over and refused to apologise. Totally her fault, and I felt completely justified calling her a dumb oval office and telling her to shut up.

I can see it being harder to justify to myself and being less confident about it if I got confronted over something as personal as a photo.

I recommend growing a beard and learning to say "I'm an art student". People calm down right away if you tell them you have been made to do this for like a class or something. You will still get the occasional crazy person who threatens you but those type of people are wandering around looking for a fight anyways, nothing you can do about it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I've been trying to watch videos of well known street photographers working (like the one Pukestain Pal posted a few pages ago), and its very informative to observe how they are able to identify subjects, capture frames, and interact with people. There aren't too many of these, but you can find them on YouTube and such if you look. It helps to search for specific photographers.

It also makes very clear how an individual photographer's physical behavior is directly correlated to their work. An obvious extreme example is Bruce Gilden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

There's also this fun movie: http://everybodystreet.com/

The POV videos where people stick a GoPro on their camera hotshoe also can be informative, but I find them hard to watch.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
this was on a street

Chilly in NYC by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I wish this window wasn't split in two.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nice Juxtaposition by Cacator, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Juxtaposition.

I loving like it.

Edit: I didn't even see the name when I typed that. HAHAHHAHA NICE!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah don't look like a fuckin' creep and you'll be fine. I wear respectable looking clothes and nobody fucks with me. you don't have to wear a suit but if people are calling you a creep, it's probably because you look creepy

The few people who have approached me have usually just asked what I was doing and walked away because I was polite and engaged them in conversation.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

hi liter posted:

It also makes very clear how an individual photographer's physical behavior is directly correlated to their work. An obvious extreme example is Bruce Gilden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

I feel like if you did this in Seattle you'd get arrested.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I feel like if you did this in Seattle you'd get arrested.

Nah, tourists wouldn't know what to do and residents will just ignore you harder.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

8th-snype posted:

Nah, tourists wouldn't know what to do and residents will just ignore you harder.

I should take annoyingly invasive photos of Amazon drones.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I should take annoyingly invasive photos of Amazon drones.

Please do not take my previous statements as condoning bruce gilden style shitfuckery, that dude sucks and his work is mediocre. Do something cool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

8th-snype posted:

Please do not take my previous statements as condoning bruce gilden style shitfuckery, that dude sucks and his work is mediocre. Do something cool.

Well, to be fair, Amazon drones kind of have it coming, but point taken.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Magic Hate Ball posted:

badge havers are people too bruh

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I really like his Coney Island stuff, but it's also a million years old.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

try it with a lime posted:

I really like his Coney Island stuff, but it's also a million years old.

honestly I just find his attitude abhorrent and his work self derivative. he just feels like a boring gary winogrand who is also a dick about taking photos or talking about photos

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'll give you that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My friend has one of those mini helicopters that's small enough to fly around indoors without anyone minding, and I discovered that a well timed party popper is capable of dropping it pretty beautifully. I reckon one of the larger party cannon style twist tubes should be able to drop a drone in a wonderful fashion.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
All right, I tried:

(all from my flickr page)

I know I kinda cheated by going to A Tourist Trap but I wanted a safe place to try getting up close and also to avoid taking pictures of the hundreds of homeless people that wander around downtown when the sleep shelters are closed. Once I got into it, it was actually fun! I wish I hadn't had such trouble with focusing but I guess that's just part of it?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Tokyo Eatery by Cacator, on Flickr

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Speaking of Japan,

Yurakucho at Night 1
by me the other month

Yurakucho at Night 2
also by me the other month

If this thread likes img-Japan stuff I've moved most of my street photography shooting to a tiny inconspicuous Nikon 1 V3 (No AA Filter, great for monochrome, easier to pretend to be a tourist) but haven't processed any of those shots to go online.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nobody wants to see pictures in this thread, don't post them

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nobody wants to see pictures in this thread, don't post them

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

hi liter posted:

There's also this fun movie: http://everybodystreet.com/

Is this film any good? Is it worth $5 to watch?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Crack posted:

It's $5. Your pumpkin spiced latte costs more.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

bobmarleysghost posted:

It's $5. Your pumpkin spiced latte costs more.

A brick jointer is a similar price but it doesn't mean I should buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Crack posted:

I like it but lots of people think im dumb and bad here so ymmv.

The movies is a series of interviews with famous street photographers, both sitting down and following them as they work. They also discuss some of their most known work and what motivated them to undertake it. If nothing else, I enjoyed it.