Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

holocaust bloopers posted:

So the surprise was a livery and a fictional car only accessible by buying another game. That's a let down.

Jeez, yeah that's some bullshit. My masterrace rear end is obv getting FO4 for the PC so I can get all those dong mods. Duh.

Also, doesn't the xbone elite controller have the same internals as every other regular xbone controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

GutBomb posted:

I ended up getting an elite controller and it's a bit of a mixed bag for Forza. I like the fit and finish of the controller and I extended stick is perfect for finer steering adjustment and everything feels really smooth. Using the paddles for shifting isn't as good as I expected. For one, the software can't map 2 buttons to one paddle like I wanted (shift button and clutch button) so I used the lower paddle on each side for shifting and the upper paddle for clutch. It's easy to hit both paddles simultaneously, but the problem I had was downshifting while braking. Using the left paddles at the same time as the left trigger is really awkward. Plus I simply mapped the upper paddle to A which is what I use for clutch, and I kept accidentally hitting the paddles when picking the controller up. You have to be really careful if you set the controller down while paused.

The controller itself is nice and heavy and has a headphone port directly on it so you don't need an adapter. It's probably not worth $150 but it is a pretty good controller. I haven't given up on the paddles yet because they felt pretty good in all ocassions except braking.

That's a bummer. The only reason I would want something like this is if I could map multiple inputs to one button. Not that I would buy a $150 specialty controller anyways.

*Stares at his Mad Catz TE2*

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

holocaust bloopers posted:

So the surprise was a livery and a fictional car only accessible by buying another game. That's a let down.

I told you fuckers not to get your hopes up.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Endbuster posted:

Also, doesn't the xbone elite controller have the same internals as every other regular xbone controller?

I don't know, I haven't torn it apart but the silver parts that are visible on the outside are metal, the upper part of the ball that the sticks stick out of is metal, the whole thing feels much heavier, and the vibration motors, while the same strength, are much quieter.

They changed the battery door so my energizer play and charge battery door didn't fit. I fixed the energizer battery door with a dremel though.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 5, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The internals are 100% identical, I'd post the side by side of the standard vs. elite intrnals were I not at work. That they did not put a better stick mechanism in a controller that costs over twice as much as a standard controller is some bs since it means stick drift will still occur.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
The stick mechanism internals are the same. The rest of the internals are not.

Cubey spends too much time in the shark tank thread.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don't know what stick drift is. I have a 7 year old Xbox 360 controller and both sticks work perfectly fine. The rubber on the left stick is a little frayed, but that's it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just wanted to laugh at how funny the term "stick drift" is to me. lol

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

RUTHLESS, MY STYLE AS A JUVENILE

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

GutBomb posted:

I don't know what stick drift is. I have a 7 year old Xbox 360 controller and both sticks work perfectly fine. The rubber on the left stick is a little frayed, but that's it.

Same experience here. It was never something I worried about before because I didn't know about it. Now that I know about it I am worried to death.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Top Hats Monthly posted:

RUTHLESS, MY STYLE AS A JUVENILE

i need this in my life.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Same experience here. It was never something I worried about before because I didn't know about it. Now that I know about it I am worried to death.

me too :smith:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it really is loving terrifying that a $30 piece of plastic might need replacement after 7 years/40,000 miles

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've never had the stick drift issue either but I did have 360 sticks wear down into this disgusting feeling of rubber and finger oils

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, it really is loving terrifying that a $30 piece of plastic might need replacement after 7 years/40,000 miles

The record for serious stick drift for me was less than a year. Later-era 360 controllers had the issue more often and it came much earlier. Also it should not be an issue to begin with; my launch GameCube controller is still the one I use on that system, all my PS1/PS2/PS3 controllers work flawlessly, my original Xbox controllers are fine etc. Meanwhile I've tossed three 360 controllers that got to the point where stick drift really hindered my ability to play games (and two where the headphone jack just stopped working), and the last one I tossed was so bad that the stick would just stay in whatever direction I pushed unless I manually re-centered it since I really didn't want to buy another goddamn controller and kept using that one for way too long.

It's also really dumb that before the Xbox One came out, Microsoft said they were aware of the stick drift issue...and then just threw the exact same analog stick device in there so that it could happen again. It'd be like if Nintendo used the same stick on the GameCube after the N64's notorious stick issues (the only other game system I own that has ever had controllers gently caress up).

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
HHoooooleeeeeeey poo poo DO I EVER remember going through two or more controllers when Goldeneye and Zelda came out for the N64. Those lovely things were ground into dust.

Thanks for reminding me of what an actual feat it was to use a 64 controller and actually be proficient at a game with it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My xbox 360 controllers have been fine, I've only played 75k-gamerscore worth of 360 games though so maybe it's not getting enough use.

By comparison, my Sega Genesis went through about 40 controllers because they had a penchant for breaking a little piece of plastic off inside them that was crucial to the functionality of the "C" button if you dropped them on the ground from a height of anything greater than .75 of an inch.

So in summary, it's $$$ega that are the true enemies of gamers everywhere (they called the second Master Drive the Genesis)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Ether Frenzy posted:

My xbox 360 controllers have been fine, I've only played 75k-gamerscore worth of 360 games though so maybe it's not getting enough use.

By comparison, my Sega Genesis went through about 40 controllers because they had a penchant for breaking a little piece of plastic off inside them that was crucial to the functionality of the "C" button if you dropped them on the ground from a height of anything greater than .75 of an inch.

Man, I used to get poo poo from my friends all the time for that. I get MAD AT VIDEOGAMES and they accused me of throwing my controllers. I'm mad, but I'm not that mad.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
One time a friend of mine (who I still game with) got extremely upset about a game of NBA Jam on the SNES and rage-swung the controller by the cord hard enough to embed it halfway into the side of one of those big old Rubbermaid storage tubs. Controller worked fine afterwards. I still laugh whenever I think about it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Does this game still do that thing where all the AI drivers drive like poo poo except the top 3?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only time I've broken a 360 controller was from throwing it.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I had one of those micropellet filled foam neck pillows. I got mad at something or other and picked it up and swung it against the ground.

The closest guess to how many months it took to finally get those cleaned up wins a prize.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

TheScott2K posted:

Does this game still do that thing where all the AI drivers drive like poo poo except the top 3?

Pretty much, yeah.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

I had one of those micropellet filled foam neck pillows. I got mad at something or other and picked it up and swung it against the ground.

The closest guess to how many months it took to finally get those cleaned up wins a prize.

You're still finding the pellets occasionally aren't you?

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 6, 2015

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TheScott2K posted:

The dude in first place will turbo away from the pack while you're stuck fighting with the drivatards who brake in the strangest spots and hog the whole track when you're trying to pass them. When you do inevitably rear end one of them, they will brake hard and come to an almost complete stop.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

geeves posted:

You're still finding the pellets occasionally aren't you?

We moved, so.... well still probably yeah. They're so small the vacuum wouldn't pick them up and static made them impossible to corral. I don't recommend it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There's a great Brockie livery for the Torana.

It's a great time to be alive

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

You Am I posted:

There's a great Brockie livery for the Torana.

It's a great time to be alive

I tried out this car stock in career mode this morning and LOVE it. Really fun D class car.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

comatose posted:

The dude in first place will turbo away from the pack while you're stuck fighting with the drivatards who brake in the strangest spots and hog the whole track when you're trying to pass them. When you do inevitably rear end one of them, they will brake hard and come to an almost complete stop.

This happens in every public lobby online so the single player system is actually very realistic!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Doomsday Jesus posted:

This happens in every public lobby online so the single player system is actually very realistic!

Jumping into a leaderboard car and running laps that are 3 seconds faster than 3rd place only to have the leader run laps that are 2 seconds faster than mine makes me question my manhood :sweatdrop:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cubey posted:

Jumping into a leaderboard car and running laps that are 3 seconds faster than 3rd place only to have the leader run laps that are 2 seconds faster than mine makes me question my manhood :sweatdrop:

Sounds like you personally might be suffering from stick drift. They have pills for that now.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well that doesn't make sense in any context at all, but alright

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
stick drift is a very real issue we are all scared about now because reasons.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well I wasn't going to continue derailing the thread about an issue that is outside of anything that is the fault of Forza 6, but I guess if you guys want to keep at it, have fun :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cubey posted:

Well I wasn't going to continue derailing the thread about an issue that is outside of anything that is the fault of Forza 6, but I guess if you guys want to keep at it, have fun :shrug:

sorry.

I like forza so far and it is very fun.

I didnt expect quite the degree of engine tinkering you can do

and playing online is the only way to encounter drivers that make me feel like I am both amazingly good and amazingly bad.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
Do they plan to ever update the Rivals events? We're 2 months in now and there's been very little change. Kind of odd to me that they wouldn't use the Rivals events to showcase the new DLC cars.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Cubey posted:

Sorry for your loss. Goondolences.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

comatose posted:

God drat it, I walked away for a while because it was basically ruining my SP career thinking they'd fix something so obviously hosed in fairly short order. And, of course, you can't even advance without a podium finish, so hooray re-running races in a series you're just trying to get out of.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SneakyFrog posted:

stick drift is a very real issue we are all scared about now because reasons.
After reading this thread yesterday I literally had a dream last night in which I was sitting in front of my console and the selector on the screen was drifting. I swear on whatever you like, I actually dreamed about something Cubivore said. In the dream I was cursing the controller and when I woke up the absurdity of the situation cracked me up.
I'm not kidding, this actually occurred. Stick drift concern is real to me, now.

TheScott2K posted:

God drat it, I walked away for a while because it was basically ruining my SP career thinking they'd fix something so obviously hosed in fairly short order. And, of course, you can't even advance without a podium finish, so hooray re-running races in a series you're just trying to get out of.
Also, this (I haven't tried SP yet since the patches; but I was hoping it was resolved so I could continue my career without having to drive like Mad Max.)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 7, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the mp4/4 (88 mclaren f1) from the last pack is godlike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ethanol posted:

the mp4/4 (88 mclaren f1) from the last pack is godlike

Yes it is.