Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rocketeer/The Spirit is pretty fun and worth the discount price, but don't count on the final issue to stick the landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do you love Peanuts? This is for you.
https://www.humblebundle.com/getbooks

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are the Boom Studios Peanuts books any good, though?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Has there been any talk of DC doing a Marvel Unlimited style subscription service? I really like MU, but lately I've had a hankering to read the Snyder/Capullo run of Batman. Otherwise is there a relatively inexpensive way to do so? I'm on iOS.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SnatchRabbit posted:

Has there been any talk of DC doing a Marvel Unlimited style subscription service? I really like MU, but lately I've had a hankering to read the Snyder/Capullo run of Batman. Otherwise is there a relatively inexpensive way to do so? I'm on iOS.

There's been rumblings about a Comixology unlimited. But so far just rumors.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Norns posted:

There's been rumblings about a Comixology unlimited. But so far just rumors.

I have to believe that any sort of multi-publisher deal would just offer up all the trash books no one cares about. The great thing about MU is that it's basically everything on a 6-month delay. Also, Comixology really rubbed me the wrong way when they pulled their iOS app after the Amazon acquisition.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

There'll probably be a Batman sale when Dark Knight 3 is coming out, or at least for the movie.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

There'll probably be a Batman sale when Dark Knight 3 is coming out, or at least for the movie.

Wasn't the entire (or at least a significant portion) of Snyder's Batman on sale on Comixology fairly recently? (Not that that helps anyone).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Casyl posted:

Wasn't the entire (or at least a significant portion) of Snyder's Batman on sale on Comixology fairly recently? (Not that that helps anyone).

There was a massive Batman sale last month, I think it was on almost all the Batman stuff they had.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It was all the singles and select trades.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Invincible half-off trades and singles is up on Comixology right now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

zoux posted:

Invincible half-off trades and singles is up on Comixology right now.

Yessssss. Been waiting on this sale! Time to get caught up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Norns posted:

Yessssss. Been waiting on this sale! Time to get caught up.

Shhhh don't say that out loud or 100 BSS posters will show up in your house to tell you Kirkman sucks and Invincible is Juvenile Garbage.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

zoux posted:

Shhhh don't say that out loud or 100 BSS posters will show up in your house to tell you Kirkman sucks and Invincible is Juvenile Garbage.

It's okay. I've seen every writer called a hack or a sexual deviant already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only book by Kirkman I actually read all the way through was Super Dinosaur. Because that book is awesome.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
In case you missed the last one: sale on all of Sandman and some related works (Death, The Dreaming, Black Orchid, Neverwhere, Dead Boy Detectives, ect).

https://www.comixology.com/Sandman-Sale/page/8705

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the main Sandman series self contained? (is it the first ten books on sale?)

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Correct, Sandman vol 1-10 is the complete series. I don't believe there's any required reading outside of those.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has anyone read Dead Boy Detectives? Is it any good? I'm going to get Death and Books of Magic, regardless.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/The-Maxx-Maxximized-Sale/page/8704?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurtofan posted:

Is the main Sandman series self contained? (is it the first ten books on sale?)

Yeah everything by Gaiman is worth a read if you like Sandman. However, I do not think anything else is worth it. Is there any Dreaming that is not trash?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's a shame Sandman Mystery Theatre isn't on sale because that's 100% the best thing with Sandman in the title.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's a shame Sandman Mystery Theatre isn't on sale because that's 100% the best thing with Sandman in the title.

The issue with Morpheus meeting Golden Age Sandman is included.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So how was Spider-Gwen in the end? Is it a fun book to read like Ms Marvel, because the mini-series, Edge of Spdier-Verse, and Silk are the Marvel Friday sale.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A number of people enjoyed it. I read all of the first series as it came out but I stopped and won't be picking up the new one. It just never clicked for me. I think at some points it worked too much on differentiating its world from the 616 world to the detriment of fleshing out the main characters.

Silk on the other hand was one of bigger surprises of the year for me and I plan on sticking with it for as long as the current writer is on.

I do like Spider-Gwen outside of her series though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Any suggestions for the Comixology "Women of indie" half price sale? 1 night on Earth, Bonnie n Collide, Minor Acts of Heroism, Pirates of Mars and The Pantheon Project seem interesting.

The Dark Horse sale looks good too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I'll probably pick up The Pantheon Project simply because Leila del Duca is the artist and her stuff on Shutter is amazing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'd recommend Demeter, The Mire, and Wolves if you're into Becky Cloonan doing horror stories.

I also really like Templar, AZ, but it's a webcomic you can read for free and Spike has been too busy with Smut Peddler and all her other anthology books these last few years to update TAZ.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Aspen essentials sale at Comixology, they're doing 4 bundles at 75% off. I already have the Executive Assistant Iris comics and thought they were pretty good but nothing mind blowing. Are Fathom, Soulfire or anything in the compilation bundle any good? I read the #0 of Charismagic and thought it seemed interesting and I got Idolized before and though it was a good "Super powers treated as normal" story mixed with a bit of reality tv.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Aspen-Essential-Sale/page/8808?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thor and Loki: Agent of Asgard sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Thor-Sale/page/8820

Thor is great.

Loki is also great, but I don't know how much you'd need to know about his other recent appearances (Young Avengers and Journey into Mystery, also both great). It's very much a meta story about the nature of stories, if you're into those types of things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where's my goddamn Alias sale, JJ is out on Friday!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Where's my goddamn Alias sale, JJ is out on Friday!

I assume it will be Thursday and all weekend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aww I was hoping to give it a reread before the series came out, since I haven't read it in more than 10 years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/JSA-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/8800?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw
All-Star Comics
Adventure Comics #461-466
All-Star Squadron
Justice Society of America (1991)
JSA Returns
JSA (1999-2006)
JSA: Classified
Justice Society of America (2007-2011)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quantum and Woody sale!.

The ones you want are the 2012 series and Delinquents. Avoid the Priest stuff!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
What's good in JSA for someone that's only read a bit of Power Girl from 2014 and the original 52.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Quantum and Woody sale!.

Do I want the "Valiant-Sized Quantum and Woody" one-shot? Also, is that series concluded at #12 plus Quantum and Woody Must Die (same author) and The Delinquents, it seems?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Quantum and Woody sale!.

Really? I've heard the original Priest series is fantastic -- an underrated highlight of the late '90s. The only bad thing I've heard about is the more recent Q2 miniseries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

onefish posted:

Do I want the "Valiant-Sized Quantum and Woody" one-shot? Also, is that series concluded at #12 plus Quantum and Woody Must Die (same author) and The Delinquents, it seems?

Yeah, it's a shorter run. I'm not seeing the Valiant-sized one though?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Really? I've heard the original Priest series is fantastic -- an underrated highlight of the late '90s. The only bad thing I've heard about is the more recent Q2 miniseries.

I've not read it but I've just heard they were bad. All I can vouch for is the 2012 series.

By the way the Goat #0 is like a top-ten all time single issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The Priest run was great. It had a lot of the non-linear storytelling that he was big on at the time. It was pretty silly with a lot of jokey stuff but there was definitely a serious storyline underneath it.

If you ever read Priest's Black Panther, especially the first couple of arcs, and liked that I think you'd dig his Quantum and Woody.