Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

The rear end Stooge posted:

Is that seriously not covered under warranty?

Apparently not and then they wanted $95 to replace the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I recently picked up a N3DS and I'm loving it. The eye-tracking 3D adjustment is amazing. I've had 3DSs since launch and never had complaints about the 3D effect and kept it at max nearly all of the time; in spite of my high tolerance to the 3D effect, the eye-tracking is a giant improvement that was worth the cost of upgrading the system.

The second control stick, though: is it supposed to be as stiff as a pencil eraser? I don't even know what games I have that would use it, but it seems like the stick doesn't move around at all especially compared to the normal control stick.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

N3ds really makes the old look like a prototype.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Sean posted:

I recently picked up a N3DS and I'm loving it. The eye-tracking 3D adjustment is amazing. I've had 3DSs since launch and never had complaints about the 3D effect and kept it at max nearly all of the time; in spite of my high tolerance to the 3D effect, the eye-tracking is a giant improvement that was worth the cost of upgrading the system.

The second control stick, though: is it supposed to be as stiff as a pencil eraser? I don't even know what games I have that would use it, but it seems like the stick doesn't move around at all especially compared to the normal control stick.

Yes because it's not really a stick, it's a nub. If you've ever used a laptop with the little nubbin in the middle of the keyboard, that's basically it. It generally works but it's very situational.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Sean posted:

Yeah, it's meant to be pretty stiff. It doesn't move much, but it still detects the direction you're pushing/pulling in just fine. I find it works plenty well as a camera control, which is what most things use it for. I haven't actually tried to use it in Smash yet :shobon:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

RichterIX posted:

Edit: or portable Genesis Shadowrun now that I think of it.

Oh, dang.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Let us know what you think! I wasn't entirely sold on the demo.

I'm basing my decision primarily on Bob Mackey's review from yesterday. I'm not really sure what about it to quantify without playing it myself, but it sounds like a good "relax" game, you know what I mean? As opposed to something like MH4U, which is more of a "serious time" game.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Neo Helbeast posted:

Apparently not and then they wanted $95 to replace the screen.

I would ask them to reconsider or provide you with an explanation on how it's not covered.

Also, take it up with your credit card if needed.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I dicked around with the JP rom of Yokai Watch a long while ago and overall it was pretty fun. It kind of reminded me as some sort of mash-up of Mega Man Battle Network and Pokemon. MMBN being with how the overworld/story progression worked and Pokemon with the Yokai friends you can get and team building stuff. I too plan on being a gigantic man-child on Friday and am pretty excited since I also have the day off.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

glassyalabolas posted:

I would ask them to reconsider or provide you with an explanation on how it's not covered.

Also, take it up with your credit card if needed.

In my experience if something has even a remote possibility of being caused by an impact/damage, they're goign to figure out some way not to cover it, regardless of whether or not the customer was negligent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Sean posted:

It doesn't move but its very sensitive. Its basically one of those laptop clits.

You don't push it in a direction so much as nudge it, but it controls very responsively once you get used to it.

I would kill for a N3DS with a proper second circle pad, but Nintendo said they'd have to make the overall shape much bigger because the circle pad takes up a ton of room. (I don't care! Sell me a fatty obese American 3DS!)

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, it's meant to be pretty stiff. It doesn't move much, but it still detects the direction you're pushing/pulling in just fine. I find it works plenty well as a camera control, which is what most things use it for. I haven't actually tried to use it in Smash yet :shobon:

It works okay in smash, not the best for that sort of thing but doing smash attacks on the 3DS can be kinda trick too so its still nice to have.

But like you said its best at camera control stuff. Using it in Monster Hunter 4U is a loving dream.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 5, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
One thing I've noticed with the nub if you have sweaty goon hands it tends to work worse.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I find it easiest to use by not trying to push the nub like you would an analog stick, but pushing down on the edge of the nub in the direction you would try to push, if that makes sense. What I mean is, if I wanted to move a camera to the right, instead of pushing the nub from the left side, I would just press down on the right edge of the nub. I guess basically treat it like a d-pad?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The local Best Buy (from which I pre-ordered Yo-Kai Watch) is doing a midnight release of the latest Call of Duty game tonight. Anyone know if I'd actually be able to get it (Yo-Kai Watch, that is) or will they have some excuse?

And yeah, I'm totally gonna be that (adult male) guy waiting in a sea of Dorito beard Call of Duty players to pick up some little kid anime game. Reminds me of going to the Dark Souls midnight release at the GameStop on my college's campus; 50+ people there for some NBA game, and I was the one guy picking up Dark Souls.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 5, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Wear a suit

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Which suit? More importantly, which hat?

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

enojy posted:

Your fedora

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

enojy posted:

And what shoes and socks? And don't forget a proper shade of mascara.
Sorry, just tired the New Style Boutique 2 demo, got flashbacks of the Girl Games thread.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

enojy posted:

Pinstripes. No hat unless you also wear sunglasses

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
So 3DS is basically dead now. How many good games were there? I'm gonna say around 12 as a guess. But I'm not into JRPGs. I wonder if there are any hidden gems I don't know about.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Considering you've been making the same post every week for however many months, probably not.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

RichterIX posted:

I've seen homebrew discussion crop up here a couple of times but I wanted to mention that while most of the available emulators still aren't perfect, Genesis games run 100% and look perfect on the 3DS screen, so if you want to play Castlevania Bloodlines or Toejam and Earl on the go it's worth it to do if you were considering it.

SNES games that don't have a special chip are mostly perfect too, which creates Portable Super Punch-Out! which is a thing that should exist already anyway.

Edit: or portable Genesis Shadowrun now that I think of it.

The GBA emulator runs well too, though I've had it crash my system multiple times. And the Playstation module has surprising performance. It's not quite playable yet, but it gives me hope. It also gives me hope that perhaps this could play N64 games. And you know the first game I'd play?

Motherfucking Mario 64, because that game is a golden classic, you motherfucking plebeians.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

African AIDS cum posted:

So 3DS is basically dead now. How many good games were there? I'm gonna say around 12 as a guess. But I'm not into JRPGs. I wonder if there are any hidden gems I don't know about.

:geno:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Don't feed taint reapers.
What's the lookout on pokemon mystery dungeon I don't want another eitran mystery dungeon

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Are there any decent cases for the New 3DSXL? I've had mine since March and love it, far too many games for it but I've noticed recently it's picked up a couple of marks/minor scratches on the outer case, so a protective one would be a good investment.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea its bad

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Awesome! posted:

yea its bad

- guy looking back at the 3DS' game library

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I like the system and have 3 of them, but Nintendo didn't make enough games for it, and the upcoming release list being so barren is kinda disappointing

I own these games

plus digital copies of Star Fox, NES Remix, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Pokemon OR and X, and most of them are excellent, but there isn't really anything else that interests me. Maybe its because there was barely any 3rd party support. If there is some glaring omission I should know about let me know.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

African AIDS cum posted:

I like the system and have 3 of them, but Nintendo didn't make enough games for it, and the upcoming release list being so barren is kinda disappointing

I own these games

plus digital copies of Star Fox, NES Remix, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Pokemon OR and X, and most of them are excellent, but there isn't really anything else that interests me. Maybe its because there was barely any 3rd party support. If there is some glaring omission I should know about let me know.

Kid Icarus is the big one here imo

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Raserys posted:

Kid Icarus is the big one here imo

I bought it a while ago and played about halfway through it, liked it at first but the on foot levels put me off because the controls were so janky, ended up selling it. Can see why people like it but it wasn't for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of the sega 3D classics but especially streets of rage 2

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you also don't have monster hunter or majora's mask 3d.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

African AIDS cum posted:

I own these games

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You're missing Monster Hunter 4U.

Honestly I've just been playing pokemon shuffle and picross lately. Really ought to pick up Phoenix Wright again, but I hit one of the rougher parts and got discouraged.

Also been playing the original Rhythm Paradise, I found it for a quid second-hand and bought it thinking it would be a nice relaxing tapping game for my little brother, apparently not! Screw the ping-pong level.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

you also don't have monster hunter or majora's mask 3d.
I will get Majora's Mask eventually but I beat it on n64 last year so no hurry. I played the Monster Hunter level in MGS Peace Walker and is that what the game is like?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Resident Evil: Revelations and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars were both excellent titles. Though I suppose you can now play the former on every other console. I also really like Zelda: Triforce Heroes which would be a thing to consider since you have 3 3dses and presumably two friends to play them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

African AIDS cum posted:

I played the Monster Hunter level in MGS Peace Walker and is that what the game is like?

I'd skip it then. Peace Walker's boss fights were literally MH with guns instead of slow wielding weapons.

Seconding you should get Tri Force Heroes. It's fun as hell with a competent team.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 6, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

I will get Majora's Mask eventually but I beat it on n64 last year so no hurry. I played the Monster Hunter level in MGS Peace Walker and is that what the game is like?

There is a demo for monster hunter on the eshop

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm googling how to use SmashHax on the N3DSXL but I'm not finding a lot of info. What's the right word I want to use for how to get a snes emulator on my new 3ds xl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

I'm googling how to use SmashHax on the N3DSXL but I'm not finding a lot of info. What's the right word I want to use for how to get a snes emulator on my new 3ds xl

gbatemp