Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Imagine an alternate future where touchscreens never caught on but trackballs got super good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The rear end Stooge posted:

Imagine an alternate future where touchscreens never caught on but trackballs got super good

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm sorry I ruined the thread

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sbaldrick posted:

Did you read the first page of this thread? Because it was a poo poo show since. :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The rear end Stooge posted:

You mean where apple never existed and the Moto Q is the best selling smartphone of all time

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rastor posted:

There's a ZenFone 2 and a ZenFone 2 Laser so read reviews of both.

There's also the 5" Zenfone 2E, which isn't in the same league as the rest of the Zenfone 2 line from a performance standpoint.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

You cannot ruin that which was never good.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I've been debating between the 6p and 5x as a replacement for my Nexus 6. Both seem solid, anyone have a case for one over the other?

Also has anyone else found a way to save/link images found on google image search on mobile? They seem to have gimped the results to only allow you to browse and look at the source page not a direct link to the image.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

minusX posted:

I've been debating between the 6p and 5x as a replacement for my Nexus 6. Both seem solid, anyone have a case for one over the other?

Depends how big you like your phone, I guess. They're functionally identical.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

minusX posted:

Also has anyone else found a way to save/link images found on google image search on mobile? They seem to have gimped the results to only allow you to browse and look at the source page not a direct link to the image.

This annoys the poo poo out of me. I would seriously use an app just for this purpose if I needed to but I'd love to be able to just take pics out of GIS.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nimper posted:

Depends how big you like your phone, I guess. They're functionally identical.

I don't think that's right. If you're fine with the size and price difference, the 6P is outright better: better camera (processing and launch time or some such, not hardware), better battery, more storage, faster processor, more RAM, etc.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Having this one feature would help me love my Android phone a lot more, and either my Google skills are poo poo or this doesn't work:

When a notification pops up at the top of my phone, iOS let me swipe it away. How can I do that with my Android 5.0 on my Galaxy S5? It's really annoying to be in a game of say Clash of Clans and suddenly a portion of the top of the map isn't accessible to me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Just make a 5" Nexus one complete with RGB trackball

So basically bring back the G1/Hero?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

Having this one feature would help me love my Android phone a lot more, and either my Google skills are poo poo or this doesn't work:

When a notification pops up at the top of my phone, iOS let me swipe it away. How can I do that with my Android 5.0 on my Galaxy S5? It's really annoying to be in a game of say Clash of Clans and suddenly a portion of the top of the map isn't accessible to me.

Unless Samsung did something really dumb, you should be able to just swipe it away...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

You... swipe it away. To the right if you want to dismiss it altogether or up if you want it to remain in the notification shade for later.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

You... swipe it away. To the right if you want to dismiss it altogether or up if you want it to remain in the notification shade for later.

You can swipe them up?!?! :wth:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Late to the party but I love my 6p. Was afraid it wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the 6 but it feels and looks much better and runs smoother.

Had to change networks to get it, I'll see what bullshit my old carrier pulls on the last bill :canada:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lblitzer posted:

So basically bring back the G1/Hero?

I had a Hero. The trackball wasn't RGB and it was way smaller than 5".

God that phone sucked.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can swipe them up?!?! :wth:

Yeah that was added in the first point update to Lollipop.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am migrating between Android phones for the first time.

Is there any reason not to just log in on the new device and let all my stuff port over? I did this already, seems to have moved most things, but some things don't transfer -- my settings and phone background, for example. I am concerned that I do not know what has been left behind.

What else does this setup method not transfer?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Texts and doesn't automatically download the apps you had. That seems like it from my experience this evening.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LastInLine posted:

Yeah that was added in the first point update to Lollipop.

I can't wait to get a new notification. I had no idea. That's awesome.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Texts and doesn't automatically download the apps you had. That seems like it from my experience this evening.

It definitely downloaded all my previous apps, but only the apps tied to my personal account (not my work account, which has its own apps).

Not all the apps appear to have kept their settings in the cloud, I am doing a lot of re-logging in. The Awful forums app kept me logged in across devices, though!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It definitely downloaded all my previous apps, but only the apps tied to my personal account (not my work account, which has its own apps).

Not all the apps appear to have kept their settings in the cloud, I am doing a lot of re-logging in. The Awful forums app kept me logged in across devices, though!

Weird, I had to go find the ones I remembered I had in the play store. Luckily I don't use a ton.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Awful app has stayed logged in through like my last 5 device wipes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I can't wait to get a new notification. I had no idea. That's awesome.

Obviously this is only in immersive mode.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Obviously this is only in immersive mode.

I don't think that's true. You can swipe up or away any notification when it's a "banner" or whatever (what are they called?), not just in immersive mode.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They're called floating or heads-up notifications.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So have general impressions of the Nexus 5x been favorable thus far?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I requested a return of the out of spec Orzly USB 2 A-C cables, and the Amazon reseller (G-Hub Canada) responded with this:

quote:

So you are also aware, Orzly were one of the first companies to launch type c cables and as a result their version 1 cables were all USB 2.0. They were actually based around the specifications of the OnePlus cable and at the time they had no way of knowing that even the OnePlus cable would not have met USB standards.

However being that Type-c is about faster charging, Orzly have been working hard over the last few months to bring out a USB 3.0 cable to support this faster charging feature. And although the official launch date of their version 2 cable is November 14th, I would be happy to send you a pack of 4 of these out today but in black only, ahead of launch, at no extra cost as a gesture of goodwill. You can rest assured that the USB 3.0 cable is fully compatible with ALL type c devices, not just smartphones.

So apparently we can blame OnePlus for all these out of spec cables. I don't think anyone has tested the new USB 3 cable to see if it has the same problem, but I'm tempted to take them up on the offer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think that's true. You can swipe up or away any notification when it's a "banner" or whatever (what are they called?), not just in immersive mode.

Is there a way to get a heads up notification when not in immersive mode or is that simply the replacement for the scrolling? I guess now that I think about it, all notifications are heads up now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hungry Computer posted:

I requested a return of the out of spec Orzly USB 2 A-C cables, and the Amazon reseller (G-Hub Canada) responded with this:

So apparently we can blame OnePlus for all these out of spec cables. I don't think anyone has tested the new USB 3 cable to see if it has the same problem, but I'm tempted to take them up on the offer.

Gosh it's too bad that there's no published standard by which a cable company could design and manufacture a standard cable.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Anyone else with a 6P notice battery life not as good after the first week or so or am I imagining things

First week I could get through a whole day easy with plenty of battery left over and yesterday and today I'm struggling to get through a similar time frame with similar use.

Could obviously be my imagination.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hungry Computer posted:

If they sold it as a USB 3.0 cable and if it has any official USB logos on it or the packaging, you are entitled to a refund.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

So have general impressions of the Nexus 5x been favorable thus far?

I just got mine today and have been enjoying it. Came from a 2013 Moto X which I loved and didn't expect more than "It'll be better", so maybe it's cause I set my expectations low. Only thing that I dislike is that I tend to place the side of my finger on the scanner as I pick it up, so I usually have to take a second and reposition my finger to get it to read. Couldn't see an option to redo a scan, so I tried making another but it didn't seem to fix it. This is entirely a user problem though and I wouldn't chalk it up to the phone.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Anyone else with a 6P notice battery life not as good after the first week or so or am I imagining things

First week I could get through a whole day easy with plenty of battery left over and yesterday and today I'm struggling to get through a similar time frame with similar use.

Could obviously be my imagination.

Mine has been the same, maybe uninstall some of the things you installed over the last week?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For those still interested, the Android Police Blackberry Priv review is up and they seemed to quite like it.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am concerned about battery life on my brand new 6P (just got it today).

I was at dinner and my battery went from 60% to 35% in the course of 1.5hrs. The phone was in my pocket and locked the entire time. Shouldn't Doze mode have caused the phone to lose far less charge?

The battery monitor in Settings does not indicate that a particular app was killing the battery. In fact, if you sum the percentages used by each app it does not equal the total battery used -- it is off by a full 20%.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Doze shouldn't be kicking in while it's in your pocket. It'll register movement when you move around, as well as being in the wrong orientation for not being used. Doze is for when you set it down and don't touch it for a long period of time.

quote:

If a user leaves a device unplugged and stationary for a period of time, with the screen off, the device enters Doze mode. In Doze mode, the system attempts to conserve battery by restricting apps' access to network and CPU-intensive services. It also prevents apps from accessing the network and defers their jobs, syncs, and standard alarms.

Periodically, the system exits Doze for a brief time to let apps complete their deferred activities. During this maintenance window, the system runs all pending syncs, jobs, and alarms, and lets apps access the network.

Was the Awake bar going the whole time during dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Out of curiosity, what are the evidence based, sensible suggested behaviours for battery longevity? I'm under the impression that regularly draining the battery to 0% is bad. Refraining from using the device is obviously not sensible advice. Also not putting the device in the microwave, because reasons.