Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

Slaapaav posted:

i just touched my butthole after eating sriracha drenched noodles

rub your eyes with the same finger

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav

by Azathoth
i touch my face with sriracha on them all the time but it doesnt burn for some reason.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Robot Made of Meat

Volume posted:

I'd like to hear some of what you've done. I'm always looking for new meal ideas for Thanksgiving. We've done Mexican, seafood, roasted lamb with a strawberry salad.

My ex is a very good and enthusiastic cook. When we first decided to ditch 'tradition,' we did things like Prime Rib, but we soon hit on the idea of coming up with a menu from some foreign country for each year. This resulted in a very nice collection of "Culinaria" cookbooks, and some tasty meals featuring German, Russian, Greek, Italian, French, and I forget how many others.

We try not to get overly serious about precision, but we do try to come up with a whole multi-course menu that fits the theme. And of course wine, beer, liquor, and liqueurs appropriate to the occasion.

Our 2011 Polish meal featured:

Dziadka Zupy (potato soup with egg dumplings)
Paluszki (potato and caraway seed biscuits)

Salatka Olivier (rare beef, baby potatoes, bacon, cucumbers, greens, and egg with mustard-lemon mayonnaise vinaigrette)

Losos Kulebyaka (Salmon and egg sitting on buttery dilll-flavored rice, encased in pastry)

Pierogies
Hot cabbage with bacon dressing
Pampushki (potato dumplings with cheese curd)
Braised Parsley and vegetables

Tort Migdalowy and Coffee Custard

It's a very fun break from the usual fare, and it's a learning experience.

I have other menus if anybody cares.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Yes please

poverty goat

its time for me to post about nog again. everyone should make some nog for the holidays because it is delicious. if you don't like eggnog and you've only ever had storebought eggnog i assure you that this is almost nothing like that nastiness. this is more like a drinkable custard of your favorite booze. here's how you make it:

an ancient illuminated manuscript of the joy of cooking posted:

A rich and extravagant version that is correspondingly good. Some people like to ad a little more spirit to the following recipe remembering Mark Twain's observation that "too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough."

Ingredients:

• 12 eggs -- separated
  • 1 pound confectioner's sugar
  • 6 cups brown liquor (dark/spiced rum, brandy, bourbon, soco will all work, some people like a mix like rum+bourbon though I think brandy is best)
  • 2 quarts heavy cream
  • 1 cup peach brandy -- optional (e: I've never actually tried this and will be doing so for the first time today!)
  • freshly ground nutmeg

Directions

1. Beat egg yolks separately until light in color.
  2. Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar.
  3. Add the first 2 cups of the selected liquor.
  4. Let mixture stand covered for 1 hour to dispel the "eggy" taste.
  5. Add, beating constantly, (1/2 to all of) the remaining liquor. the whipping cream and the peach brandy.
  6. Refrigerate, covered for 3 hours.
  7. Beat 2/3 to all of the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
  8. Fold the egg whites lightly into the other ingredients.
  9. For best results age refrigerated for at least 2 weeks, up to a year, shaking daily for the first week and then whenever the mood strikes you after that.
  10. Serve sprinkled with freshly ground nutmeg, or in your morning coffee :ssh:.
recipe makes a bit over a gallon

imm making a 6x batch today but its not ready yet. here are 72 egg yolks though:

thats the only step i can do in the standup mixer because i make too much at a time :argh:

this is what eggnog looks like wben its ready to drink:

this stuff is pretty strong, almost half booze by volume and can actually tolerate 100 proof liquor very well in the same proportions as long as you're willing to age it a few weeks before drinking. so remember to use a small glass

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 29, 2015

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

The Goatfather posted:

its time for me to post about nog again. everyone should make some nog for the holidays because it is delicious. if you don't like eggnog and you've only ever had storebought eggnog i assure you that this is almost nothing like that nastiness. this is more like a drinkable custard of your favorite booze. here's how you make it:

recipe makes a bit over a gallon

imm making a 6x batch today but its not ready yet. here are 72 egg yolks though:

thats the only step i can do in the standup mixer because i make too much at a time :argh:

this is what eggnog looks like wben its ready to drink:

this stuff is pretty strong, almost half booze by volume and can actually tolerate 100 proof liquor very well in the same proportions as long as you're willing to age it a few weeks before drinking. so remember to use a small glass

:eyepop:

thanks Manifisto!

alnilam

majorly agree that homemade nogg is sooo good and storebought stuff is poo poo

i have a similar but slightly different recipe that i'll post when i can find it, just so you can choose whichever sounds better2u... mine involves milk not cream, if that makes it easier (you probably already have milk around)

e: i wanna try your recipe this year though it sounds good :cheers:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 28, 2015

ty manifisto

poverty goat

every step of making nog looks the same. here is some offwhite liquid in various large containers:

the turkey fryer pot is my largest kitchen container

Robot Made of Meat

Good stuff, Goatfather.

As for me, I prefer Tom and Jerrys (Toms and Jerry?)

Similar stuff, but it helps warm one's cockles.

poverty goat

all done now. my off-white liquid is now in a variety of bottles

om nom nom

Most of these bottles are eggnog. One is cum.

poverty goat

its more likely than you think

fuck. marry. t-rex

This guy needs a robo coupe and a 5 gallon bucket

fuck. marry. t-rex

I'm going to make your nog in ~1 month

alnilam

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I'm going to make your nog in ~1 month

Just remember it wants to age for a week or two

poverty goat

The Goatfather posted:

Serve sprinkled with freshly ground nutmeg, or in your morning coffee .

:ssh:

:coffeepal:

also I forgot to mention that you need to refrigerate it while it ages but hopefully that goes without saying

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 29, 2015

thewizardofshoe

I made a batch of nog this afternoon, currently mellowing in the refrigerator for a few hours before I transfer to a bunch of old liquor bottles which I forgot to sanitize beforehand.

I'm freakin' stoked, thanks for the recipe.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I would love to do this someday, I have a tiny apartment fridge though so I gotta figure out a way to make this work.

om nom nom

I got a great deal on a case of t-bones

They are prime grade. Check out that marbling. I'm having this one tonight.

A little oxidization cause I left it to thaw for a couple days longer than necessary.

This is the one I ate last week. They're 24oz, so each one is big enough for my lady and I to share.

Four left after tonight. I'll be enjoying it with heirloom carrots and purple Peruvian potatoes from the organic farm 5 miles down the street.

Edit because I am bad at imgur

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 2, 2015

poverty goat

im making chili today :yum:

i use a mix of stew beef and pork ribmeat. This batch got homemade chili powder made from new mexico, ancho and chipotle peppers; some sliced jalapenos and diced habaneros; onion and garlic; half an amber ale to deglaze after browning; beef stock and a little tomato paste. maybe a shake of worcestershire. no fuckin tomatoes or beans. im not really posting my full chili recipe since a man's chili recipe is a deeply personal matter but here's a pro tip:

once you graduate to solid meat instead of ground meat and cut out the beans and tomatoes you get a pretty boring looking brown chili. Get some bell peppers (or better yet, cherry/pimento peppers- they're like little bell peppers but more meaty and flavorful) and halve them, seed them, and roast them in the oven while your meat simmers. once they've roasted and cooled peel off the charred skin, cut them into 3/4" or so squares and add them to the chili right at the end. I used to just toss the raw bell pepper into the chilli and call it done when they were soft but then I'd always end up with bits of translucent pepper skin floating around looking ugly and getting stuck in my teeth. This way you don't get skins in the soup and once it's said and done they retain a bit of that roasted pepper flavor and don't start to disentigrate into the broth, and some red/orange/yellow peppers really brighten it up

also, concentrated tomato paste in a tube. its the bees knees.

ok cya

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 2, 2015

poverty goat

heres a pic of the shakshuka that ruined the god damned seasoning in my cast iron in 25 minutes

i blame israel

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

if cooking one acidic dish ruined your seasoning your seasoning was trash and you are trash

poverty goat

Bo-Pepper posted:

if cooking one acidic dish ruined your seasoning your seasoning was trash and you are trash

its hard to get a good seasoning going when other people use soap in it behind your back

reseasoning from scratch without the lovely lodge pre-season underneath is probably for the best

Robot Made of Meat

But anyway, back to Good, Clean, Funnies without bashing anyone . . I was thinking about my thanksgiving dinner just this evening.

Some of you might recall that I do my best to avoid 'tradition' and 'turkey' by having a dinner that revolves around some foreign cuisine. In tonight's discussion with my resident chef , we were tending toward something Medeterrainian.

Holy things! Is that really how Medeterrainian is spelled? Seems so. Anyway . . .

Does anybody have a favorite Medeterranian cuisine? Country? Dish?

I hate the idea of sending Rich yet another :10bux:, but if things go well, I MIGHT post pix!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

It is spelled Mediterranean and the best Thanksgiving I ever had food wise focused on duck. If Mediterranean is your theme, perhaps do a braised duck chopped into pieces that you finish off underneath a broiler for crispy skin. Braise it in liquid strongly flavored with things like carrots and fruits such as cherries or figs. Reduce the strained braising liquid for an amazing sauce.

As a side dish do something unexpected like mashed turnips which will still be in season during Thanksgiving. And brussels sprouts in brown butter is always lovely.

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

wrekt

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

thanks Manifisto!

poverty goat

today im making bread

lookit dat fukken dough.

alnilam

shabbat goy

Can I freeze a bechamel? And what's a good thing to use this bechamel for that's not mac and cheese? It's loaded with chipotle peppers and cheddar/asadero/queso fresco, if that guides you.

poverty goat

here is a bread

its gonna be tasty

fuck. marry. t-rex

shabbat goy posted:

Can I freeze a bechamel?

Not really

shabbat goy posted:

And what's a good thing to use this bechamel for that's not mac and cheese? It's loaded with chipotle peppers and cheddar/asadero/queso fresco, if that guides you.

croque monsieur

om nom nom

poverty goat

im really happy with my bread

im also rly happy with my DIY brick oven

those are unglazed quarry tiles and you can get 44 of them at home depot for less than the cost of a pizza stone: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-...url__W425238599

the unabonger

The Goatfather posted:

those are unglazed quarry tiles and you can get 44 of them at home depot for less than the cost of a pizza stone: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-...url__W425238599

that is a good looking bread. how did it taste?

poverty goat

i flunked out posted:

that is a good looking bread. how did it taste?

perfect

great crusty crust, moist inside

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo

The Goatfather posted:

Holy moly

om nom nom

That is some sexy bread. That's something I haven't gotten down and would love to. I also haven't put in any effort or even made bread since culinary school.

My girlfriends got a starter and it comes out decent. Not like that though.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i come decent with your girlfriend too heyoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

om nom nom posted:

That is some sexy bread. That's something I haven't gotten down and would love to. I also haven't put in any effort or even made bread since culinary school.

My girlfriends got a starter and it comes out decent. Not like that though.

I used this recipe, generally. I used the volumetric measurements and i needed to add a bit more water to both steps to get it to the textures described, which is going to be more important here than using exactly the measurements listed

"stretch and fold" frightened me so I looked it up on youtube and whoa this beats the hell out of kneading for 15 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1timJlCT3PM

that also shows you kind of how the texture/stickiness of the dough should be since you might have to fudge the water quantity to get it there, as well as some protips for dealing with sticky wet dough like this. that video probably singlehandedly saved my bread