Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Soviet supercavitator uses a combination of nose cone shape and an actual frontal exhaust port to create the low friction gas envelope, so that's probably what they're going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I just remembered that Jenkins is still unaccounted for. My new hope is that he'll show up at the last minute to knife the biomega to death.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
Clearly what they need is some rust gas. The breath of the Builder would devour that living island whole! Also...probably everything else in the world considering the kind of cloud ten miles of dense organic matter would produce. The nuclear winter plan is probably safer, really. As a more practical solution, the titans could probably breach the armor and let the torpedoes through. Would require actual co-operation with Ultra though, which doesn't seem very likely.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Let us not forget the Oxygen Destroyer: the only sure-fire way to kill a Godzilla.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I wonder if the Island biomega has small-scale defenses. Could they Armageddon this?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bobulus posted:

I wonder if the Island biomega has small-scale defenses. Could they Armageddon this?
My favorite thing about this volume is that the BIOMEGA ISLAND reveal would've been the second-to-last issue's cliffhanger in any other series. But not here. We still have another two issues' worth of great plans falling apart in the face of mounting doom to get through!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Oh hey, somebody's genius creator once created a weapon quite similar to a large asteroid impact.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

wiegieman posted:

Oh hey, somebody's genius creator once created a weapon quite similar to a large asteroid impact.

Wait, really? I don't remember Tesla doing that in the comic. Especially considering his pacifism.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Covok posted:

Wait, really? I don't remember Tesla doing that in the comic. Especially considering his pacifism.

Tesla used the Wardenclyffe tower to defeat the first exoversal incursion in 1908 at Tunguska.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm rereading Hellboy and while I know it'll never happen I feel like Robo and Hellboy would have a helluva time just sitting around and sharing war stories. Plus it would be super cool to see Robo in the Hellboy art style and Hellboy in the Robo style.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I'm rereading Hellboy and while I know it'll never happen I feel like Robo and Hellboy would have a helluva time just sitting around and sharing war stories. Plus it would be super cool to see Robo in the Hellboy art style and Hellboy in the Robo style.
Kinda want to do a Robo story where Robo accidentally stops the ritual that summons Hellboy, and a Hellboy story where Tesla's lab is destroyed before he can ever build Robo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hyperactive posted:

Kinda want to do a Robo story where Robo accidentally stops the ritual that summons Hellboy, and a Hellboy story where Tesla's lab is destroyed before he can ever build Robo.

Excuse me, What If scenarios are registered trademarks of Marvel.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

I get the strange vibe Mike Mignola is the kind of guy who would be down for that kind of thing, but also get the stranger vibe this will never happen.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
So with this Nazi attack station is Robo going to have to call Miranda Zero and the Global Frequency for help? I mean they do have some experience hijacking rogue attack satellites and what not.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Maybe the Tungsten rods will be shaped like fists.
Killing a living island with Metal Space Fists sounds like a good resolution.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BooDoug187 posted:

So with this Nazi attack station is Robo going to have to call Miranda Zero and the Global Frequency for help? I mean they do have some experience hijacking rogue attack satellites and what not.

To be fair, Ellis didn't invent the idea of the kinetic harpoon. Depending on how refined the idea is, you could attribute it to the Lensman books, Niven, or Heinlein.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Wanderer posted:

To be fair, Ellis didn't invent the idea of the kinetic harpoon. Depending on how refined the idea is, you could attribute it to the Lensman books, Niven, or Heinlein.

Robo is going to make a man the harpoons joke, isn't he.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Bucnasti posted:

Metal Space Fists

Thats the name of my new sci fi speed metal group!

Wanderer posted:

I know. I just like the idea of Robo either knowing Miranda Zero or being one of the 1001 agents of Global Frequency!

(And yeah, Ellis recycled the whole "take over the kinetic harpoon plot" for his GI JOE: Resolute story he did for Cartoon Network couple years after Global Frequency)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Forgotten Nazi Superweapon will never not be the best dues ex machina. :allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This arc was never about Giant Robots punching Giant Monsters, was it? It was always about space nazis! Admit it!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Godwin's law has never been this awesome.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Who What Now posted:

Forgotten Nazi Superweapon will never not be the best dues ex machina. :allears:
Agreed. We've got a couple more stories revolving around them planned. One of them is the "origin" of Longinus insofar as it's when Robo first learns it's up there.

A.o.D. posted:

This arc was never about Giant Robots punching Giant Monsters, was it? It was always about space nazis! Admit it!
I seriously consider the giant monsters to be the B-plot to this volume.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hyperactive posted:

Agreed. We've got a couple more stories revolving around them planned. One of them is the "origin" of Longinus insofar as it's when Robo first learns it's up there.

I seriously consider the giant monsters to be the B-plot to this volume.

The giant monsters are mostly mcguffins, something to drive the conflict forward. Still, they are a cool fuckin' mcguffin.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hyperactive posted:

I can't wait. And for what it's worth, kudos for how you handle these things. It's really easy for it to feel really cheap and disappointing for a story like this to bring about the big, insurmountable problem and then have a character say, "Don't worry, it just so happens I have/know of [thing to solve this problem]". But I can't think of any time where it's felt like that in Atomic Robo. So really, great job on making me say, "Hell yeah, space-Nazi adventure!" instead of, "Oh, well that was convenient, I guess?" .

(Tangentially related: same thing with Dr. Dinosaur. I could very easily see that character being the kind of "lolrandom PeNgUiNoFdOoM XD" type character I loathe, but instead he's far and away my favorite character behind Robo himself.)

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Preeeeeetty sure this is ending with Robo getting satellite flung at the bio island.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Who What Now posted:

I can't wait. And for what it's worth, kudos for how you handle these things. It's really easy for it to feel really cheap and disappointing for a story like this to bring about the big, insurmountable problem and then have a character say, "Don't worry, it just so happens I have/know of [thing to solve this problem]". But I can't think of any time where it's felt like that in Atomic Robo. So really, great job on making me say, "Hell yeah, space-Nazi adventure!" instead of, "Oh, well that was convenient, I guess?"
I think there's a couple reasons for that. When the main character is the most impossible thing in the story, then it gives you a lot of leeway to introduce other crazy things to the reader. Also, we already showed some crazy Nazi tech in a previous volume and then talked about their space program in another one, so the seeds were planted ages ago and that makes this particular reveal more of a reminder than a convenient plot hook. I'm honestly surprised no one guessed it considering it was mentioned the last time Robo was in the present. That weren't no accident!

quote:

(Tangentially related: same thing with Dr. Dinosaur. I could very easily see that character being the kind of "lolrandom PeNgUiNoFdOoM XD" type character I loathe, but instead he's far and away my favorite character behind Robo himself.)
The trick is to keep him at low dosages. That way it always feels like a special treat when he shows up instead of a grueling chore.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Superstring posted:

Preeeeeetty sure this is ending with Robo getting satellite flung at the bio island.

I still want him to use 100% of China's his power to go Super Saiyan Robo and atomic punch something.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So.. Dr. Dinosaur is Edgar Sparingly?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Better than Uncle Micky.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I still want him to use 100% of China's his power to go Super Saiyan Robo and atomic punch something.

This is Atomic Robo. He'll punch a monster.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Or maybe another robot. There is always that option.

Possibly even both.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Or he will punch a robot into a monster.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I like how this story has just been a repeated sequence of humans yelling "we're all gonna die" while the robot goes "nah I got this".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Better than Uncle Micky.

You are a degenerate and belong in a human occupied landfill.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

DigitalRaven posted:

Better than Uncle Micky.

A.o.D. posted:

You are a degenerate and belong in a human occupied landfill.
Now that is deep nerdity cut.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now that is deep nerdity cut.
Fun fact: I would test RPG systems by seeing how closely they could model Atomic Robo as a character. HoL was the first one to produce an acceptable version. I never found another until the Fate iteration of Kerberos Club.

And that's why the Robo RPG is a Fate Core product.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What about FATAL? What is Robo's manhood score?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I already made that joke in March.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sorry I don't memorize your posts, Lurdiak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I forgive you.

• Locked thread