Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/patrol-officer/salary

Median of $56,130. Median of the US is only around $51k. So they get paid real well. And it seems other countries don't have near the problems we have with officers shooting people.

The median you have there for US is household income, not individual. Mean personal income is ~$25k nationwide. So cops are making more than double what most people make in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think its weird that the underlying thought there (in the facebook posts) is that if you pay someone badly enough, it's ok for them to be power-tripping assholes as alternative compensation. Like if you think cops don't get paid well enough, cool, pay them better. Don't excuse them on the basis of their 'sacrifice'. Like I believe that fast food workers are badly paid, but I would prefer they make a living income rather than let them use that as a justification to poop in people's food.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ashcans posted:

I think its weird that the underlying thought there (in the facebook posts) is that if you pay someone badly enough, it's ok for them to be power-tripping assholes as alternative compensation. Like if you think cops don't get paid well enough, cool, pay them better. Don't excuse them on the basis of their 'sacrifice'. Like I believe that fast food workers are badly paid, but I would prefer they make a living income rather than let them use that as a justification to poop in people's food.

no, the logic is that cops do an incredibly dangerous and vital job that is also cruelly underpaid because nobody understands the thin blue line between civilization and chaos is manned by some of the bravest flowers of american masculinity that would give their last drops of water to a child even if they themselves were dying of thirst

just standard mindless hero worship poo poo. we don't think too hard about cop pay we just assume they're paid pennies because it ramps up the hero factor

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The median you have there for US is household income, not individual. Mean personal income is ~$25k nationwide. So cops are making more than double what most people make in this country.

Amazing what a strong union will do for their workers!

De Nomolos posted:

LL101 finally shows it face in my feed...

http://liberallogic101.com/?p=36530

Homo RAUS

Just a reminder that too much LL drove a poster here to depression.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, the logic is that cops do an incredibly dangerous and vital job that is also cruelly underpaid because nobody understands the thin blue line between civilization and chaos is manned by some of the bravest flowers of american masculinity that would give their last drops of water to a child even if they themselves were dying of thirst

Robert Peel, founder of modern policing posted:

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
I would have thought the 'We The People' set would be all over this line of thought and talking about how the line between civilization and chaos should be manned by all of us, instead of promoting cops to a special class of ultracivilian.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What exactly is the logic that drives people to think that homosexuals want special privileges rather than equal rights?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SquadronROE posted:

What exactly is the logic that drives people to think that homosexuals want special privileges rather than equal rights?

because the person speaking feels they deserve special priviliges and is projecting

equality feels unequal when you're used to your attitudes and ideology being enforced as a societal baseline

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SquadronROE posted:

To most conservatives life is a zero sum game. If you acknowledge that some 'other' group has the same rights, conservatives think that they've lost something to the 'other'.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SquadronROE posted:

As PTD says, a little projection, but the actual rights are a) the new and special right of homosexual marriage, because they could already marry members of the opposite sex, and b) the civil right to stomp all over Christian bigots who refuse to serve them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

LL101 finally shows it face in my feed...

AGM

lol LL needs to censor the word "gently caress"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

Poopdick.

And because if gay people think they are real people, then others might start thinking they are people too, which means calling them lovely lovely Fag Fag can get you, a moral upstanding Christian straight white man, in trouble.

Plus for a lot of people, even if it's two gay men, ONE of them has to be the 'woman' IE the sub role. For a lot of bigots, that means that you, if you are a straight man, can be treated with the same staring, comments, crude language, and touching by a gay man, that you might do on a woman to make her interested in you. I forget who said it, but homophobia can be summed up in the fear of a gay man treating you the way you (as a straight man) treat women.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Also the fact that people take things at face value and don't realize that it's not about "getting a cake" but the fact that the bakery harassed the couple and posted their information publicly and encouraged further harassment.

They view things like LGBT youth shelters, helplines, grants, charities, and foundations as "special treatment." Why do people need gay bars and gay clubs? Entitlement! Exclusion! etc.

It's literally just the majority seeing marginalized people getting things (even just basic safety nets and being brought up to a level closer to equal) and going "BUT I DON'T GET THAT!!!" even though they do, they just take it for granted. They have a chip on their shoulder.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Median of $56,130. Median of the US is only around $51k. So they get paid real well. And it seems other countries don't have near the problems we have with officers shooting people.

Well, in addition to base pay, there's overtime pay, court pay, and side jobs like stadium security. So yeah, you can earn above average income for not having a college degree.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Also the fact that people take things at face value and don't realize that it's not about "getting a cake" but the fact that the bakery harassed the couple and posted their information publicly and encouraged further harassment.

They view things like LGBT youth shelters, helplines, grants, charities, and foundations as "special treatment." Why do people need gay bars and gay clubs? Entitlement! Exclusion! etc.

It's literally just the majority seeing marginalized people getting things (even just basic safety nets and being brought up to a level closer to equal) and going "BUT I DON'T GET THAT!!!" even though they do, they just take it for granted. They have a chip on their shoulder.

This is the best explanation I've heard. It's the fact that black people get black history month but there's no white history month.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Isn't that a city police officers only? I've seen average salaries for state police that are over six figures.

Googling a few states for state police:
* Ct starting pay is $51K
* NY starting pay is 66K ($84K after 5 years)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

AGM

lol LL needs to censor the word "gently caress"

Media targeted at children generally censors curse words.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Yeah...I can understand that :sigh:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Equality and rights are also a zero sum resource.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
So my normally intelligent sister in the police decided to post this utter stupidity on Facebook:

Nevermind that police brutality is well documented... :ughh:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 6, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah...I can understand that :sigh:

Honest to god LL made me politically aware and also made me realize how hosed up the world is because people actually buy into it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Vargatron posted:

Honest to god LL made me politically aware and also made me realize how hosed up the world is because people actually buy into it.

Its kind of more than that. I'm comming o the terms that I anm trans still and even though I live in a state where protection laws are on the books. I am legit scared they could be taken away. I have a Federal government job too. If a republican wins the presidency...

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 6, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

BigRed0427 posted:

Its kind of more than that. I'm comming o the terms that I anm trans still and even though I live in a state where protection laws are on the books. I am legit scared they could be taken away. I have a Federal government job too. If a republican wins the presidency...

No one should have to feel that way. I wish every anti-trans politician who campaigned on "GETTIN' MEN OUT OF WOMEN'S ROOMS" could spend a day learning about the fear trans men and women feel every single day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PUGGERNAUT posted:

No one should have to feel that way. I wish every anti-trans politician who campaigned on "GETTIN' MEN OUT OF WOMEN'S ROOMS" could spend a day learning about the fear trans men and women feel every single day.
I wish they'd at least figure out that would involve forcing trans men into women's rooms when they don't even want to be there, but a lot of them can't even get that far.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't even understand what women are doing in their bathrooms that they're so worried about people seeing. Aren't there stalls? Are you just stripping in front of the sinks? What's going on in there?

I can only speak for the men's room but if I go to the urinal I don't care who's in there, and when I'm in the stall I can't tell the gender of the person who walks in. Is this odd? Should I be doing other things in there that involve public nudity?

Edit: I can't wait for the news story talking about how THIS HORRIBLE MAN BROKE INTO THE WOMEN'S BATHROOM AND GLARED AT ME

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 6, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I imagine it'd be kind of creepy for a woman who hears someone peeing and notice their feet pointing towards the toilet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DemeaninDemon posted:

I imagine it'd be kind of creepy for a woman who hears someone peeing and notice their feet pointing towards the toilet.

I think we should probably equip bathrooms with Victorian fainting couches for those tender waifs then.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yes, because that's a realistic scenario.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
One time I was in the men's room and heard a dude pissing in a stall but when I looked over, as any normal person does when they hear piss, his feet were pointing out and he was clearly sitting on the toilet. I basically had to summon all my courage to stagger out of the bathroom and scream for the police to help before passing out in a puddle of my own puke.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Who What Now posted:

Yes, because that's a realistic scenario.

Yeah totally realistic.

My point is if you're gonna use the restroom as a transwoman then sit down. Transmen can sit down and ghostpoop.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just don't understand your point at all. Like, yea I bet there were a lot of white people 'creeped out' by black dudes at the lunch counter...gently caress those people though?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah totally realistic.

My point is if you're gonna use the restroom as a transwoman then sit down. Transmen can sit down and ghostpoop.

Who the gently caress is checking under restroom stall doors to see which way someone's feet are pointing?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I'm pretty sure he had a lot else going on. If a website drives you to depression I would seriously hope you have a lot more going on.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Julio Cruz posted:

Who the gently caress is checking under restroom stall doors to see which way someone's feet are pointing?

Peripheral vision while popping a squat next stall over?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Honestly I wish all restrooms were gender-neutral. It'd be expensive to implement, but it'd be so much easier for so many groups - not just trans men and women, but for families with young kids, and handicapped people with assistants.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Honestly I wish all restrooms were gender-neutral. It'd be expensive to implement, but it'd be so much easier for so many groups - not just trans men and women, but for families with young kids, and handicapped people with assistants.

Bathroom signs really aren't all that expensive, honestly.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Thump! posted:

Bathroom signs really aren't all that expensive, honestly.

I assumed a lot of gender-neutral bathrooms would be those single rooms, without stalls.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I assumed a lot of gender-neutral bathrooms would be those single rooms, without stalls.

That or I've seen sinks then private toilet rooms next to them. That's pretty gender neutral. Really that's the only fair way.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

You mean the ones where you have to do the walk of shame last the next person waiting after you've dropped a horrible smelly dump? I'd prefer those be single gender so at least it's not a poor gramma I have to gas out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ron Jeremy posted:

You mean the ones where you have to do the walk of shame last the next person waiting after you've dropped a horrible smelly dump? I'd prefer those be single gender so at least it's not a poor gramma I have to gas out.

Believe me when I say that it's far more likely for ol' granny to decimate the restroom for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm pretty sure he had a lot else going on. If a website drives you to depression I would seriously hope you have a lot more going on.

I choose to believe that it was 100% LL.