Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

We get a free Expertise and a free Weapon/Implement Focus for just that reason. Spending early feats on bookkeeping stuff feels lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
I know most people around here use the offline character builder for most cases but if anyone is interested in picking up some actualy physical stuff I'm selling of the last ~20 books from my 4e collection: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750068

Also I can't believe Wizards is closing their 4e forums, has it really been that long?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Here To Help posted:

Also I can't believe Wizards is closing their 4e forums, has it really been that long?

Not just 4e forums, all of them, including 5e and MtG

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Here To Help posted:

Also, they have thus far singularly failed to do so...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, they have thus far singularly failed to do so...

It is really amazing how bad the people who run Wizard's digital end have to be at their jobs. LIke, it is almost poetic in how bad it is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So bad that if their one job is to shut something down it stays online forever. I think they actually hired Newton Pulsifer out of Good Omens.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not that they're bad at it, it's that funding does not go into the digital end. This is why they are closing the forums and not replacing them with anything to begin with. Product support for Magic is better, but digital Magic gaming is infamously bad. The core business is selling cards over the counter and the digital end is clearly not seen as an untapped market.

People always take a poo poo on the 4E character builder, but at least it exists and largely works. We probably should have had real builder software for D&D in like 2000-2005, but there you go.

Now that they are farming out most 5E development, we can only speculate what is going to happen, but it doesn't look like a strong future for D&D under the WotC banner.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

but it doesn't look like a strong future for D&D under the WotC banner.

Good, I hope they sell it off. They haven't done anything good with it since Mike Mearls was put in charge.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Who'd buy it?

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
ryan dancey via kickstarter

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

chaos rhames posted:

Who'd buy it?
Depends how well the next Cities: Skylines game sells.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
White Wolf seems to have passed hands a few times in the last couple of years, so I imagine there could be a big game/media company happy to have the brand

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

The Crotch posted:

Depends how well the next Cities: Skylines game sells.

:golfclap:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

chaos rhames posted:

Who'd buy it?

Serious answer: Paizo. Though who knows if they have the money.

I think it's pretty funny the White Wolf's IP is hot enough for biggish video game companies to fight over the it but nobody is buying DnD. I have to imagine WotC has had offers. Maybe they're just stonewalling.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
WotC hasn't and probably isn't selling D&D because the novels and other licensing makes a fair whack of cash. Which is why the support for the actual game has always been pretty spotty, because it's the least profitable part of the IP, which is itself barely more than a rounding error compared to Magic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the main benefit of the new D&D edition isn't with the improvement or iteration with the design/gameplay, so much as simply releasing a new edition period that gets people playing again.

They could have reprinted Mentzer's Expert rules except with d20 BAB instead of THAC0, called it good, and it still would've sold like gangbusters* just from the sheer impetus of "hey a new D&D came out, let's start playing again, guys"

* or at least as gangbusters as the hobby ever gets

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Honestly, reprinting Mentzer would have resulted in a better game than 5e. :v:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Mendrian posted:

Serious answer: Paizo. Though who knows if they have the money.

I think it's pretty funny the White Wolf's IP is hot enough for biggish video game companies to fight over the it but nobody is buying DnD. I have to imagine WotC has had offers. Maybe they're just stonewalling.

Paizo does not have the money to get an IP out of Hasbro.

It wasn't a fight, it was PDX offering to take CCP's investment off their hands and CCP seeing a chance to cut their losses on WW.

Hasbro will probably never sell D&D until some other HUGE company wants it. They want D&D or Magic to be their next Transformers - which is why both are getting a movie soon.

content:

Okay, so, goofy gimmick 4th Edition classes. I remember the Vampire - but which others were that strange or approached being that strange? Warden was always weird because of the thing where you'd like, turn half into a mountain goat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah the main benefit of the new D&D edition isn't with the improvement or iteration with the design/gameplay, so much as simply releasing a new edition period that gets people playing again.

They could have reprinted Mentzer's Expert rules except with d20 BAB instead of THAC0, called it good, and it still would've sold like gangbusters* just from the sheer impetus of "hey a new D&D came out, let's start playing again, guys"

* or at least as gangbusters as the hobby ever gets

I don't think Gangbusters actually did that well for TSR.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

JonBolds posted:

Okay, so, goofy gimmick 4th Edition classes. I remember the Vampire - but which others were that strange or approached being that strange? Warden was always weird because of the thing where you'd like, turn half into a mountain goat.

Blackguard's Spirit of Vice (Domination) has a gimmick with Temporary HP.
Basically, if you have any, you can deal CHA damage to yourself to add that amount of damage to your next attack.
It's cool if you get a feat like Disciple of Stone, so you can start with some Temps after every short rest, or if someone in your party is handing out tons of em like candy.

I'm currently playing one with a bow in this PbP and staying out of melee means you rely less on your THP for survivability and can put it all towards damage. You miss out on using your actual at-wills that way, which kinda sucks. But building around DEX also allows you to be decent at Thievery, which is a class skill. It basically plays like a CHA-secondary Thief, but with HP+armor and a THP gimmick in place of a ton of maneuverability.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

JonBolds posted:

Assault Swordmage always feels like cheating --- your entire thing is hoping people gently caress off and run away so you can blink across the battlefield and stab them.
Fey Warlock, pre- the Slashing Wake nerf, was hilariously stupid in any fight with enough minions past level 11/12.
Centered Breath Monk with a Bard multiclass and the feat to let you turn any slide into a teleport became "hit a guy and reshuffle everything nearby into a handy 3x3 killing box for your team".

Teleports: Never not fun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So if Keep on the Shadowfell is a bad introductory adventure because of all the trash mob fights even if you fixed the monster math, what is a good starter adventure path? Khyber's Pass? I was looking for something within the 1-3, 4 or 5 tops level range.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Slaying Stone is supposed to be pretty good for 1st level, followed by Reavers of Harkenwold for the next few levels.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

But no worries! Later in the edition, WotC finally got their heads out of their asses and put out some good ones. The following are Goon-Recommended!

Level 1 - The Slaying Stone (Standalone "folder" adventure)
Level 2-4 - The Reavers of Harkenwold (from the Essentials DM's Kit)
Level 4-5 - The Cairn of the Winter King (from the Essentials Monster Vault)
Level 6-8 - The Madness at Gardmore Abbey (fantastic standalone box set)
Paragon Tier - Revenge of the Giants (Standalone hardcover)
Eberron - Seekers of the Ashen Crown

Right in the OP

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

starkebn posted:

White Wolf seems to have passed hands a few times in the last couple of years, so I imagine there could be a big game/media company happy to have the brand

The thing about White Wolf is that it's parent company was willing to let it languish in obscurity, but it's former employees still cared enough to buy licensing rights and keep going without them. That is the brand that Paradox bought, and they appear to want to keep the relationship with OPP going. I'm not even sure if a similar situation could work for D&D.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kurieg posted:

The thing about White Wolf is that it's parent company was willing to let it languish in obscurity, but it's former employees still cared enough to buy licensing rights and keep going without them. That is the brand that Paradox bought, and they appear to want to keep the relationship with OPP going. I'm not even sure if a similar situation could work for D&D.

I mean, assuming the price is right, would Paizo consider buying licencing rights?
Probably not, I mean they basically stole an entire edition for free :troll:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

CCP didn't want to stop producing White Wolf books, actually. They ran into a problem with Icelandic exporting rules - essentially they couldn't produce WW books or other products without it directly taking away from EvE's profits. Hence, Onyx Path.

And there's plenty of room for that same relationship with D&D. Pretty much no one involved with the Forgotten Realms is happy with the state of things, for example. D&D even had a similar situation in the past, with 3.0's fansites for the abandoned campaign settings. Can you imagine what the OSR would do to get a license to 1e and Greyhawk?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arivia posted:

CCP didn't want to stop producing White Wolf books, actually. They ran into a problem with Icelandic exporting rules - essentially they couldn't produce WW books or other products without it directly taking away from EvE's profits. Hence, Onyx Path.

Hrm, didn't know about that. Still, the quality of the WoD books took a sharp downturn during CCP's tenure, the CCP/Scribendi years were..uhh.. Changing Breeds.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As I understand WotC is a massive pain in the rear end to work with if you're trying to make a video game for them, which is probably why you'll never see another Baldur's Gate. None of the established RPG developers want to play second fiddle to WotC when they can just make their own fantasy setting, and the "D&D" brand logo is worth exceedingly little for video games. Dragon Age was pretty much the death of D&D titled video games.

Vampire is, perhaps hilarious, most likely worth far more then D&D as far as video game branding is, if just because modern fantasy isn't as bloated as fantasy is.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Not to mention that Baldur's Gate and the like have gotten a bunch of spiritual sequels to satisfy at least some of their fans, while Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines hasn't gotten any (has it?) so fans of it really want something more.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand WotC is a massive pain in the rear end to work with if you're trying to make a video game for them, which is probably why you'll never see another Baldur's Gate. None of the established RPG developers want to play second fiddle to WotC when they can just make their own fantasy setting, and the "D&D" brand logo is worth exceedingly little for video games. Dragon Age was pretty much the death of D&D titled video games.

Vampire is, perhaps hilarious, most likely worth far more then D&D as far as video game branding is, if just because modern fantasy isn't as bloated as fantasy is.

I will literally never understand this. EA would run the DnD brand better than WotC ever could in the videogame world, let alone a developer who might actually do something cool with the license. I wish somebody would figure out that 'DnD' doesn't have to mean either 'Forgotten Realms' or 'generic as gently caress fantasy'. Games like The Witcher or Dragon Age are better DnD games than WotC will ever make but it's just depressing to think that way. Why are those games more fun than DnD games? Because they create their own universe and roll around in it like pigs in slop instead of worshiping decades old ideas.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand WotC is a massive pain in the rear end to work with if you're trying to make a video game for them, which is probably why you'll never see another Baldur's Gate.

So, you know there is another Baldur's Gate coming out, right?

http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

jng2058 posted:

So, you know there is another Baldur's Gate coming out, right?

http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/

I do not mean Baldur's Gate the literal intellectual property, I mean Baldur's Gate as the out of the blue, genre saving and genre defining smash hit that it was in 98-2000. That game could be super awesome, but it's going to be mining pre-existing Baldur's Gate fans, not introducing a legion of new players to the brand.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My apologies if this was from a goon and I'm reposting, but here's all the 4e charop guides. :)

All credit goes to whoever did the work in the first place. It wasn't me, but whoever it is, I love them.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

dwarf74 posted:

My apologies if this was from a goon and I'm reposting, but here's all the 4e charop guides. :)

All credit goes to whoever did the work in the first place. It wasn't me, but whoever it is, I love them.

Hey, that was me! I'm glad someone outside of my groups is using it, though I wish there was a way to replace that folder on Google Drive because I've since archived a couple more pages (backgrounds, themes and familiars), though it might be better to just upload those as a separate folder

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Hey, that was me! I'm glad someone outside of my groups is using it, though I wish there was a way to replace that folder on Google Drive because I've since archived a couple more pages (backgrounds, themes and familiars), though it might be better to just upload those as a separate folder
Awesome! You're the man. Sorry I forgot where it came from.

This is off my own gdrive. If there's updates, link your own and I'll nuke my link. :)

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Here is the updated folder, then because I have learned how to get google to do that! https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4YaBeuqOG0qcG94VlhLSmJ1dnc&usp=sharing

Pets, themes, backgrounds and the Miscibility table are in this one, plus all of the class guides!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
In the spirit of sharing this thread has embraced, here is a revised Heroic Tier Feat list, organised into Power Sources etc. This takes into account all of the Character builds I could find, and was done before the forums went down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a set/repository of pregens I can look into? I lifted the ones from D&D Encounters (Council of Spiders, Dark Legacy of Evard, March of the Phantom Brigade) and others, but I was wondering if there were better ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a set/repository of pregens I can look into? I lifted the ones from D&D Encounters (Council of Spiders, Dark Legacy of Evard, March of the Phantom Brigade) and others, but I was wondering if there were better ones.

Are you talking about the two-sided pregen cards? Those tended to be fairly underwhelming as optimization goes.