Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Electric Hobo posted:

Going to play Argent tomorrow, 5 players, all new. Any rules I should stress or that are commonly missed?
The mage draft looks like a really good way for a bunch of new players to lose the game before it even starts. I remember reading a variant in here a while ago. Something like 'everybody get one of each wizard'. Anybody remember that?

Remember that you can always choose to take 1 IP instead of having your mage take the action of the spot they're standing on. Surprisingly important in the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I heard from a number of the local gaming crowd that they were severely disappointed with Dilluvia Project, so I cancelled the pre-order... :smith:

They did rave about Food Chain Magnate, so I am excited for that. :unsmith:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the comments, I'm sure they make the game more enjoyable for us all.

ETB posted:

I heard from a number of the local gaming crowd that they were severely disappointed with Dilluvia Project, so I cancelled the pre-order... :smith:

They did rave about Food Chain Magnate, so I am excited for that. :unsmith:

I just got my Dilluvia Project today, so it better be good. Lorini hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I'm pretty sure I'll like it.
What didn't they like about it?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

Going to play Argent tomorrow, 5 players, all new. Any rules I should stress or that are commonly missed?
The mage draft looks like a really good way for a bunch of new players to lose the game before it even starts. I remember reading a variant in here a while ago. Something like 'everybody get one of each wizard'. Anybody remember that?

Not a commonly missed rule, but I'd recommend you give everyone a small checklist where they can tick off the requirements of each voter whenever they earn a mark. Saves having people reaching for the cards when they want to check things.

'one of each wizard' is generally a good start for new players, only start drafting when you've more experience.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Electric Hobo posted:

I just got my Dilluvia Project today, so it better be good. Lorini hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I'm pretty sure I'll like it.
What didn't they like about it?

Nothing new, obvious choices, looked like replay value was weak, underwhelming. The people definitely had similar taste to me, which made me panic quite a bit.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Has anyone played Inhabit the Earth, the new Richard Breese game? Preorder kickstarter is ending in a few hours and I'm thinking about jumping on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have another friend who really likes Dilluvia Project but is also concerned about the replay value. I didn't focus on that when I was playing. We might be playing it in the next couple of days so I'll be sure to think about that when playing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Man Dancer posted:

Cave Evil: WARCULTS is up for pre-order. <-Caution: auto-playing music.

2-12 players (16 if playing with the original Cave Evil). Up to 7 square feet of table space.

I'm a filthy Cave Evil fan, and I preordered this, but its going to be a huge mess. Hopefully a playable huge mess like the original.

Hell yeah. Nate makes the best games.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Oldstench posted:

Hell yeah. Nate makes the best games.

Wow, how is this not more well known. It's like the Advanced Squad Leader of Wiz Wars.

I'm so going to buy this and never play it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I wish there were better pictures, I never feel like I grasp a game until I see it deployed/in action.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I wish there were better pictures, I never feel like I grasp a game until I see it deployed/in action.

Better pics of Cave Evil? I'll hook you up.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

BonHair posted:

Was it the game's fault or the players being uninterested?

A little of both, I'd say. I'll run it through a few more groups.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I looked up Codenames after all the talk in this thread, and it seems to be mostly out of stock at the moment. But it seems to me this is like the worlds easiest game to make? You just need some words... and some markers, right? There's not really anything else to the game is there?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elysium posted:

So I looked up Codenames after all the talk in this thread, and it seems to be mostly out of stock at the moment. But it seems to me this is like the worlds easiest game to make? You just need some words... and some markers, right? There's not really anything else to the game is there?

Main problem is that they actually chose the words really, really carefully. So yes, you can play it, you just won't get as quite tightly designed word choices.

Please don't ask for the actual word list, since that would kinda be stealing. But yeah, people have run forums games of it, mostly just with "list of words with multiple meanings" random choices from online.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Also the reprint is supposedly hitting US stores soon.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Elysium posted:

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/codenames/338533

their shipping is like $5 I believe if you just order Codenames (or free if you order a poo poo load of stuff!).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Speaking of I just got an email from my local shop that Codenames is in stock! The reprint must be arriving now.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Speaking of I just got an email from my local shop that Codenames is in stock! The reprint must be arriving now.

It's still $60 on Amazon. Hurrrrrry upppppppppppp

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

homullus posted:

It's still $60 on Amazon. Hurrrrrry upppppppppppp

I saw it for around $25 on Amazon about a week ago. I guess those copies went through fast.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Loopin' Chewie was a big hit with my kids and their cousins last weekend. 4 year old nephew kept calling it "Luke and Chewie" :3:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We played two player Nippon yesterday and then three player today.

I don't know that I'm going to keep it. And this is just my own preference, not that it's a badly designed game. In fact, it's better designed than Zhanguo and Madeira, both of which we had significant issues with. However, it suffers from what I call the Egizia syndrome. Players get way too many points at the end of the game, making the rest of the game feel meaningless (Ships seems to have this issue as well but the jury is still out on that one). At the end of the third scoring (just before the final scoring) I was at 120, the next person was at 101, and the third person was at 90 or so. The second place player beat me by 30 points after all the multipliers. Again, some people don't mind that, but I happen to hate it, so I doubt I'll be keeping the game.

I compare it a bit to the Voyages of Marco Polo. In Marco, you get those two cards that give points at the end of the game. But there's only two of them, and you get penalized if they go together. In Nippon, it's just a huge snowball effect because too many of them go together. I liked the fact that you could choose what to go after, but like I said, it all synergized too well and the end of the game felt totally arbitrary.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, the fact that the same guy has won the championship two years in a row (as well as a bunch more events) suggests to me that for all the dice in X-Wing, luck is a significantly lesser factor than player skill.

Third year in a row! Maybe dice isn't the enemy and europe just needs to get gud at games? (:smug::smug::smug:)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'll take Nippon off your hands if you ever want to sell, Lorini.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So what were the issues with Dead of Winter? I've gathered that as a whole this thread has soured on it, but I've not noticed an aggregate of its perceived problems so much as folks mentioning this or that detail. (I was at a board game meetup this evening and someone else mentioned it.)

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

So what were the issues with Dead of Winter? I've gathered that as a whole this thread has soured on it, but I've not noticed an aggregate of its perceived problems so much as folks mentioning this or that detail. (I was at a board game meetup this evening and someone else mentioned it.)

I haven't played, but here are the complaints I've heard:

• Way too much luck, including a die that can randomly kill you any time you go outside.
  • Balance is a mess with the designers pretty much openly saying that if you care about that, this isn't the game for you.
  • Hidden goals encourage anti-thematic and obnoxious behavior. It's one thing to be useless to everyone because your secret goal is to hoard the food (of course that's the point). It's another thing to actively sabotage everyone solely because if you completed your shared goal of survival then the game would end before you got the food.
  • Traitors can win without really being sneaky, just directly sabotaging shared tasks when they come up. I've heard mixed reports on this so I'm guessing it depends on the specific type of traitor and their victory conditions?
  • The vaunted "Crossroads" mechanic sucks but I can't remember how.
  • The theme careens wildly between hyper-grimdark and lighthearted parody (Sparky the Stunt Dog is a playable character.)

McNerd fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 6, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Has anybody tried the newest edition of Fury of Dracula yet? Never played any kind of hidden movement type game like this so this'll be a new experience for me at very least!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

McNerd posted:

The vaunted "Crossroads" mechanic sucks but I can't remember how.

From what I remember, the issue is that on almost every Crossroads gives you two options, one of which is "Nothing happens."

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
The crossroads mechanic would work a hell of a lot better if you didn't know the results of the options, but a large amount of the cards are structured so as to make this unfeasible

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It wouldn't work any "better", it would just be more ~thematic~ (:barf:), remove that small strategic decision by obscuring the results, and encourage people to memorize the cards, which is awful.

McNerd posted:

[*]Traitors can win without really being sneaky, just directly sabotaging shared tasks when they come up. I've heard mixed reports on this so I'm guessing it depends on the specific type of traitor and their victory conditions?

The commonly cited complaint about the traitor mechanism in DoW is the fact that there's no incentive for the traitor to act in any kind of traitorous way until after they've completed their traitor objective, probably late in the game when the morale track has already taken some hits, and ideally when they get two turns back to back. Then they can do serious damage to the morale track, ideally causing it to hit zero. It's incredibly unsatisfying both to be hit with and to perform. There is for all intents and purposes nothing you can do to get information about who the traitor is until they start sabotaging crises, and after the traitor has had their megaturn where they ate all the food and dumped a sack of garbage into the medicine supply or whatever, it's probably too late to do anything about it.

Of course it all hinges on whether the traitor draws an objective they have any hope of ever completing, but even if they don't, that doesn't stop them from often tanking morale and forcing a draw.

Repost because it's relevant:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Last game I played of Dead of Winter with me as the betrayer ender on the final turn when I tanked the morale from nearly max to 0 after looking at the board for like 10 minutes. I didn't even win because I misread my card.

Also there is a secret objective card to hoard three medicine, and one to hoard four medicine (or some other supply on both cards, I forget). That right there is some ridiculous poo poo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

T-Bone posted:

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/codenames/338533

their shipping is like $5 I believe if you just order Codenames (or free if you order a poo poo load of stuff!).

gently caress, they had three copies of patchwork in stock too so I got the last codenames and a patchwork

the two games I have been looking for are in my grasp

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Scyther posted:

It wouldn't work any "better", it would just be more ~thematic~ (:barf:), remove that small strategic decision by obscuring the results, and encourage people to memorize the cards, which is awful.

I agree with the rest, but no one's going to memorize every crossroads card, come on now

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Morpheus posted:

Also there is a secret objective card to hoard three medicine, and one to hoard four medicine (or some other supply on both cards, I forget). That right there is some ridiculous poo poo.

That's my thing. Basically, *everyone* is sort of the traitor. Like.

If the deal was that you could always choose to go traitor when it became clear you couldn't make your goal, or else, that everyone was a traitor of sorts with NPC 'good faith' people trying to actually survive the apocalypse, then it would be different.

Pushing your luck to achieve an unreasonable objective looks just like being a traitor, so it's not like a commons-spoiling game, more like a push-your-luck but one person maybe has nothing at stake.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

memy posted:

I agree with the rest, but no one's going to memorize every crossroads card, come on now

Maybe memorizing isn't the term I should have used, but concealing the otherwise static results of the options on the cards adds an implicit metagame memory element, in that anyone who's seen that card before in previous games has an advantage, and I think the general consensus is that rewarding being good at remembering poo poo is not good design.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The few times I did play Dead of Winter, we kept the results of the crossroads cards secret until the player made their decision. Didn't save the game, but made that part a bit more 'choose your own adventure' style and a little bit more in line with everything being random anyway.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Is the Crossroads mechanic really just "draw a card that gives you two choices, pick one and deal with the outcome"? Because I feel pretty confident that other games have done similar things before.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

enigmahfc posted:

The few times I did play Dead of Winter, we kept the results of the crossroads cards secret until the player made their decision. Didn't save the game, but made that part a bit more 'choose your own adventure' style and a little bit more in line with everything being random anyway.

How did you deal with the cards that had the group vote on which option to go with, or did you just not get any of those

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Is the Crossroads mechanic really just "draw a card that gives you two choices, pick one and deal with the outcome"? Because I feel pretty confident that other games have done similar things before.

No, it's someone else draws a card and watches and waits to see if you do the thing that triggers the card otherwise it gets discarded. Which means it's even less likely to have an impact, and on top of that people are likely to either forget to draw the card at all or to watch out for the trigger.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

memy posted:

How did you deal with the cards that had the group vote on which option to go with, or did you just not get any of those

What? Still keep it secret til after the vote?

The app that reads crossroad cards for you now is like this. Where you choose without mechanical knowledge and then you get the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The main reason the crossroad cards suck (on top of things already mentioned) is that most of the time they don't do anything at all because the character they require to trigger isn't being used or is already dead. It's said when the oft-touted best feature of your game fizzles the majority of the time.

Also, I persuaded my friend to not buy Time Stories last night. I'm doing my part to make the world a better place.