Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Khisanth Magus posted:

Don't worry, once Hillary is president we will go back to never criticizing Israel no matter what they do. Even if they were to start a true active genocide of the Palestinians we will continue to actively suck Bibi's dick if her recent statements are anything to go by.

The Republicans might be better on Israel because they are dumber and eager to please so they might at least accidentally annoy them. Like how a dog keeps bringing you dead birds, or like Costello, Abbot's best pal but always getting him into trouble.

The democrats will worship them just as hard but probably stay out of their way.

This is all Jesus's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

(link.)

Edited for thumb tags.

- a literal retard who was granted success in life.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Khisanth Magus posted:

Don't worry, once Hillary is president we will go back to never criticizing Israel no matter what they do. Even if they were to start a true active genocide of the Palestinians we will continue to actively suck Bibi's dick if her recent statements are anything to go by.

Remember when they used white phosphorous and they totally got written up by the Obama administration for what is technically a war crime?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

:3

What's weird is you never see them together like this cause their marriage is now probably something more House of Cards like.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@mtaibbi: Ben Carson is having a busy day. Now his stabbing story is changing? https://t.co/COezf3ib1z

quote:

@mtaibbi: "We are confused about which person you stabbed" is such a yawn of a controversy by 2016 campaign standards.

quote:

@mtaibbi: At this rate one of the GOP candidates will show up at the debate in Milwaukee next week with a human head in a shopping bag.

May the primaries never end.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Neeksy posted:

Remember when they used white phosphorous and they totally got written up by the Obama administration for what is technically a war crime?

Pretty sure they could nuke Tehran and get away with it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This seems like a coherent assessment of the GOP, but then again that's coming from an avowed leftie. Still worth a read imo:

Days of Desperation
There’s a reason Bush, Kasich and other establishment Republicans aren’t gaining traction. Their conservatism no longer makes sense.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Aurubin posted:

This seems like a coherent assessment of the GOP, but then again that's coming from an avowed leftie. Still worth a read imo:

Days of Desperation
There’s a reason Bush, Kasich and other establishment Republicans aren’t gaining traction. Their conservatism no longer makes sense.

At first I was critical of that article because it's pretty easy to write something like that when the the GOP moderate vote is split 10 ways but I think it's a very informative article and well written.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Rhesus Pieces posted:

May the primaries never end.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mandatory lesbian posted:

"Say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud."

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And the Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the northern Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once and say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Aurubin posted:

Days of Desperation

Interesting enough, bt it seems to miss out on a lot of the actual history of the conservative movement in favor of its internal hagiography, and thus doesn't understand why it pursues the goals it does, and thus why it can't break from them.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Aurubin posted:

Days of Desperation

This article makes a lot of interesting and good points, and brings together a lot of what people have been talking about lately with the GOP. The party is the shambling corpse of a monster that no one quite knows how to kill, made out of three hideous grafted together parts. Although I think there is a meaningful distinction to be made between the business wing that wants to use the government to enrich itself, and the 'government should do nothing ever' ideological libertarians. And rather than being two distinct groups, it's more of a spectrum between two points where different people can pick and choose different views.

I'm not as ready to start digging the grave for this monster though. For one, the voters are still eating it up. The Republicans have been very successful in elections lately, aside from 2008 and 2010. And the politicians that are being voted in are the same ones with the views that the author deems too toxic to be successful. Republican politicians assert more hawkish stances towards Iran and Russia and get elected. The author states that Iraq and Afghanistan are clear failures of neoconservatism, but I would put two major asterisks next to that. First, most Americans still defend Iraq to a degree. The most that people are typically willing to admit to, and imo the most common sentiment, was that it was a 'mistake.' This implies that under different circumstances (we actually find WMDs, at least a facade of stability emerges after the occupation, etc.) the war would have been palatable. And by supporting hawkish candidates and hawkish stances many Americans show they are ready for a new war, one that will go better this time, as redemption. Second asterisk: for many, Iraq was not a failure by any means. Bush got reelected, the military industry became enriched, much of Iraq's oil is now in the hands of foreign companies, American hegemony was established with permanent military bases. Due to these successes for a select few, we can expect the next foreign adventure to have the backing of many of the rich and powerful.

The author also makes the claim that cutting benefits is too unpopular and can't happen. I would argue that Bush's privatization plan is ancient history by now and the attitudes of the Republican base have become far more extreme on this issue. Candidates who promise to cut Social Security and Medicare do get elected. Republicans won big in 2010 and 2014 on the voucherize Medicare platform. Hell, even Carson supports a comically lovely voucher system and won't move an inch in the polls for it. Candidates around the country win big on promises not to expand Medicaid, or repeal Obamacare. Libertarianism is popular enough among Republicans that the Ex-Im bank is having trouble, and is apparently something ordinary people care about? I have no doubts that cuts to Medicare and Social Security would happen if a Republican were to be elected president. Republican controlled Congress supports and passes budgets doing exactly that. I can't imagine the same sort of pushback as came from Bush's privatization scheme, except from the left and an increasingly tiny and irrelevant portion of the right.

As for abortion, the author misses the 'undue burden' forest for the Roe v. Wade trees. Hundreds of new abortion restrictions have become law across the country for the past decade. It's currently harder to get an abortion in this country, in general, than any point since the early 1980s. And even with Roe, is an overturn really so unlikely if a Republican wins the presidency in 2016? If I'm not mistaken, there are 4 votes to overturn already and Ginsburg, Breyer, and Kennedy are all in the twilight of their life. For other issues, social conservatism will simply move the goalposts. Just as the evils of rock n roll music are irrelevant today, gay marriage will be irrelevant tomorrow, and new evils of secular society will be dreamed up. Looking at Houston, the transgender boogeyman might be a good flavor of the decade.

I hate to bring an almost cliche level of doom and gloom and despair into the thread, I just don't yet see what will finally drive the knife through the heart of the three part monster. Since the author's thesis is heavily supported by the high standing of Carson and Trump in the polls, as they wither away and the party coalesces around Rubio this article will lose much of its credibility.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Neeksy posted:

And Clinton still slobbered all over Israel's cock for it. :(

I was incredibly pissed over her knee-jerk "must support Israel right or wrong always" reaction, but I still think she's our best hope for an effective Democratic presidency. :smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Aurubin posted:

Days of Desperation

Please rename thread USPOL Nov: So maybe Donald Trump is on to something after all

Really good read.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

what's Rubio's stance on abortions?

i know someone who i just found out is a Rubio supporter and he's talked 4 girls into not having him use a condom, knocking them up, and having them get abortions, which is why i'm asking

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And the Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the northern Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once and say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

I loving love that movie so much.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Business Gorillas posted:

i know someone who i just found out is a Rubio supporter and he's talked 4 girls into not having him use a condom, knocking them up, and having them get abortions, which is why i'm asking

No abortions, ever. He said this at the first debate.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Zoran posted:

No abortions, ever. He said this at the first debate.

For further clarification, yes this includes to save the life of the mother. Because you have to err on the side of life, you see.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Strangely (or not), the "good faith answer" seems to be actively pushed in Intro to Macroeconomics courses. Anecdotally speaking, there was part of my Macro course in college focused on line graphs between private and public education and the debate on whether to focus on private education versus public based on net outcomes.

Then again, libertarians seem to cull only the surface-level economics (ie the "heh :smug:" smug rear end in a top hat part of economics and economists) and form political opinions around that limited beep-boop Ayn Rand understanding.

I am thankful every god drat day of the fact that I found the one competent economics professor in the great state of Texas and practically stalked him with my choice of courses all the way through to graduation.

I don't know how he got away with starting every course spending a week going over how biased Mankiw's textbooks were, but thank God for it.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 6, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Aurubin posted:

Days of Desperation

Well, since Michael Lind is a close family friend, I can tell you that he isn't precisely a hardcore leftist - publicly, at least; he's one of the founders of a (nonpartisan) DC think tank that studies public policy. Really, he's written more about how the right wing keeps loving up and the absurdity of libertarianism than anything else; it's kinda like calling something like the Daily Show left wing for mocking the right.

But yeah, he's certainly not a conservative.

If you like his writing you should check out his books. The Next American Nation is pretty good.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

A Bag of Milk posted:

For further clarification, yes this includes to save the life of the mother. Because you have to err on the side of life, you see.

I just don't understand how any cisgendered woman capable of getting pregnant could still vote for someone after hearing that! How is that not a total campaign killer? He thinks that a fetus is a living being and worth protecting but I'm not.

e: have any of these "NO ABORTIONS EVER!!" people ever heard of ectopic pregnancies? They'll kill the mom if they're not aborted in time, and the fetus won't survive either. So if you get an abortion, 1 out of 2 lives are saved. Without an abortion, both the fetus and mother will die. It doesn't make sense.

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 6, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I just don't understand how any cisgendered woman capable of getting pregnant could still vote for someone after hearing that! How is that not a total campaign killer? He thinks that a fetus is a living being and worth protecting but I'm not.

No but see if the situation happens to me it will be unique and okay that one time and

PUGGERNAUT posted:

e: have any of these "NO ABORTIONS EVER!!" people ever heard of ectopic pregnancies? They'll kill the mom if they're not aborted in time, and the fetus won't survive either. So if you get an abortion, 1 out of 2 lives are saved. Without an abortion, both the fetus and mother will die. It doesn't make sense.

no, they haven't. or if they have, it happened to bad people who deserve it so who cares

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Any time someone makes an argument against abortion, feel free to mentally edit their statement to "the slut should have known better."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This is easily the best thing Ive read this week

http://www.theonion.com/article/biden-to-cool-his-heels-in-mexico-for-a-while-17996

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Well, since Michael Lind is a close family friend, I can tell you that he isn't precisely a hardcore leftist - publicly, at least; he's one of the founders of a (nonpartisan) DC think tank that studies public policy. Really, he's written more about how the right wing keeps loving up and the absurdity of libertarianism than anything else; it's kinda like calling something like the Daily Show left wing for mocking the right.

But yeah, he's certainly not a conservative.

If you like his writing you should check out his books. The Next American Nation is pretty good.

Just to clarify, I meant I was praising it as an avowed leftie, meaning my personal insight into the GOP was lacking and this could of been a bad article, nothing about the author.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You may all want to be sitting down for this but Ben Carson is a super creationist. Not just a normal "well I think Satan buried dinosaur bones as a test of faith" kind but "here are the scientific reasons why evolution isn't true" kind.

quote:

“I submit that changes can occur within a species. But is that a sign of evolution, or is it a sign of an intelligent creator who gave his creatures the ability to adapt to their environment so he wouldn’t have to start over every 50 years? You know, that sounds much more intelligent than anything else.”

[...]

“And no one has ever demonstrated one species changing to another species. This should be, if it’s true, a continual evolving. So we should be able to find intermediate species at any given point in time. We should be able to find how they line up.”

[...]

“Darwin said his whole theory depended on the fossil remains. He said we should be able to line up from a single-cell organism to man, several miles long and just walk right down the fossil trail and see how everything evolved. He said the only reason they didn’t have the fossils was because they were not geologically sophisticated enough, but that we would be in 50 to 100 years. Well, that was 150 years ago. We still haven’t found them. Where are they? Where are the fossil remains?

“When you ask the evolutionists about that, they say, ‘Uh, I don’t know where they are, they’re somewhere, they are, we just haven’t found them yet.’ That’s a pretty lame excuse, to be honest with you.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can't wait for the real debates if Carson is the nominee

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

You may all want to be sitting down for this but Ben Carson is a super creationist. Not just a normal "well I think Satan buried dinosaur bones as a test of faith" kind but "here are the scientific reasons why evolution isn't true" kind.

This isn't new, and it just gets worse from there:

Ben Carson's medical career outside of his neurosurgical work is starting to look very.....weird, supposedly he was known for pushing pseudo-scientific quackery and alternative medicine and possibly lied about a lot of things as well.

Basically: Ben Carson running for president is the WORST thing he could've done for his professional reputation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-carson-gets-angry-and-combative-in-interview-with-cnns-new-day/

This is pretty funny. He just talks nonsense lol.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

euphronius posted:

Can't wait for the real debates if Carson is the nominee

He's got as much a chance of winning the nomination as Trump, honestly.

(or Bernie :bernin:)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who the hell is left once Carson and Trump flame out? Rubio? He's scary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carson said on FB that, like him, the founding fathers, too, never held elected office. He's wrong, of course.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who the hell is left once Carson and Trump flame out? Rubio? He's scary.

I think Rubio's gonna be the guy, and while he is the scariest, his absurd sugar daddy lifestyle and complete lack of accomplishments are going to sink him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thump! posted:

He's got as much a chance of winning the nomination as Trump, honestly.

(or Bernie :bernin:)

He has much less of a chance than Trump.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

zoux posted:

Carson said on FB that, like him, the founding fathers, too, never held elected office. He's wrong, of course.

I think Rubio's gonna be the guy, and while he is the scariest, his absurd sugar daddy lifestyle and complete lack of accomplishments are going to sink him.

I can't see him doing well in a one on one debate. He always looks so flustered anytime he gets a question that's not a total softball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rubio can also not speak. Or think very well. Or appears charismatic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like The Onion could be run entirely on Dynamite Joe articles.

quote:

"It's nothing I can't handle, but let's just say there was a little misunderstanding. Somebody didn't get something they were supposed to get."

"And somebody else got a whole lot more than they bargained for," he added.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Shageletic posted:

Pictured here, what Carson thinks a scientist looks like

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/LVYIxrSw3L8/maxresdefault.jpg

This deserves a "Jesus"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lauren Batchelder of Chester N.H. waits for Donald Trump to stop talking after interrupting her and to continue with her question on women’s rights at the No Labels Problem Solver Convention in Manchester N.H. on Monday, October 12, 2015.

I feel like this is a metaphor somehow...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

Lauren Batchelder of Chester N.H. waits for Donald Trump to stop talking after interrupting her and to continue with her question on women’s rights at the No Labels Problem Solver Convention in Manchester N.H. on Monday, October 12, 2015.

I feel like this is a metaphor somehow...

Trump is definitely the most likable person in the room at a No Labels convention...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Business Gorillas posted:

No exceptions even for rape, incest, or life of the mother.

He leapt to a radical stance in the first debate

• Locked thread