Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vainman posted:

It would be fine but setting up a system to do that would cost political capital and take a lot of time. It wouldn't be in this budget.

What "political capital"? Who's going to fight back against that? I mean, if soda were taxed heavily and beer weren't, I think I could stomach a small increase to the price of beer. Soda is so, so cheap and so, so unnecessary. It doesn't even get you drunk! Useless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

Suck it up, shut your bitch hole, and pull on your big boy pants. Food is a stupid thing to tax. Luxuries like booze and nicotine aren't.

How is junk food not a luxury? It's cheap because of the garbage ingredients not because it's actually food.

I mean your post was pretty salty and we got that for free :haw:

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
People are so used to sin taxes on beer and cigarettes that they were willing to accept the PC's raising them. A blanket tax on soda would be totally new and a lot of regular people would see that as aggressive government overreach.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
All he did was post a gently caress you got mine but around fast food instead of smokes and booze lol.

What moonshine are you drinking that you don't think fast food et al isn't bad for you and doesn't cause cancer plus many, many other health problems, ever see someone who has sucked down 4 litres of pop a day, their teeth are like a meth addict.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

People are stupid and/or raised by stupid people and don't even learn how to use the microwave on their own until they learn how from crappy college TV as an adult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLn5SCRYWGw

I watched two of those videos and can't decide if they're real or if they're satire, but frankly neither explanation satisfies me.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Um yes it does.

Being obese, or even overweight, is a huge risk factor for several types of cancer and reliably so. This isn't even touching on other extremely crippling and damaging illnesses related to it, like diabetes. And prepared foods are already considered luxuries and subject to normal sales tax. Why shouldn't they be targeted more if revenue is such a concern? I have worked a menial job and depended on prepared foods to see me through, but really even then I had options open to me that were less terrible than a ton of red meat and fat. I ate it because it tasted good and fired the right pathways in my brain, not because it was the only thing available to me. If you want to talk about how companies market foods that have create an addictive effect, that's one thing, but McDonald's is still more like cigarettes than it is groceries when it comes to why people eat it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Slightly Toasted posted:

How is junk food not a luxury? It's cheap because of the garbage ingredients not because it's actually food.

Also, it's not really cheap. Potato chips are really expensive if you consider how completely loving cheap potatoes are.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Excelzior posted:

this is Quebec's minister of Health

he's entirely qualified

but if you can look at that fat gently caress telling you about our childhood obesity epidemic for more than 30 seconds without giggling you are a god damned saint

it's like if Rob Ford was promoting a crackdown on illegal drugs

When did Quebec go back in time to hire John Goodman pre weight loss. Christ Dr Brown sure was busy in 2015.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sedge and Bee posted:

Um yes it does.

Being obese, or even overweight, is a huge risk factor for several types of cancer and reliably so. This isn't even touching on other extremely crippling and damaging illnesses related to it, like diabetes. And prepared foods are already considered luxuries and subject to normal sales tax. Why shouldn't they be targeted more if revenue is such a concern? I have worked a menial job and depended on prepared foods to see me through, but really even then I had options open to me that were less terrible than a ton of red meat and fat. I ate it because it tasted good and fired the right pathways in my brain, not because it was the only thing available to me. If you want to talk about how companies market foods that have create an addictive effect, that's one thing, but McDonald's is still more like cigarettes than it is groceries when it comes to why people eat it.

Yeah, you can go to Co-Op here in Calgary and get a whole roast chicken and a salad, ready to eat, for $10-12. That's enough for 3 people to have a reasonable meal, requires no preparation, and is reasonably nutritionally balanced. If you're single, it's leftovers for lunch the next day or two. A Big Mac costs $5 or so. We eat lovely food because it tastes good and is enjoyable to eat, it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise.

EDIT: I think I might have met that Quebec health minister. Or maybe it was the children and family minister. Either way, he was large as gently caress, and I met him briefly because we were both smoking cigars in the La Casa del Habano in Montreal. Complete hypocrisy, IMO. Not the way to run a government.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 6, 2015

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Also, it's not really cheap. Potato chips are really expensive if you consider how completely loving cheap potatoes are.

I was thinking more along the lines of pop and frozen/preserved dinners and stuff but yeah that's valid. Stuff like soda and chips are marketed towards children like crazy too I remember when I was in elementary school all we could buy in our canteen were chips and canned drinks. Middle school added fries and hard candy. If your parents gave you money for lunch that's all you ate.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slightly Toasted posted:

My problem with the idea of taxing any food as a luxury is this: where is the line drawn. Junk food is unhealthy. When I was little, it was a luxury, because it wasn't something cheap and in bulk. Because when you're poor as hell, that's the food you want. Stuff that is cheap, comes in bulk, and takes no energy to prepare after a long lovely day of working your lovely low paying job. Now compare that to an actual luxury food, something like caviar or foie gras. Nobody who's poor is ever going to manage to pay for the nice poo poo, but they're getting taxed on the cheap poo poo. And conversely, the people with the money to afford the nice things aren't going to give a poo poo about the sin tax on junk food, and they're going to be able to afford the nice stuff.

It's a tax that would disproportionately hurt those who are the most hard up in terms of food choices. Junk food is a luxury of sorts. I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that a tax would be stupid as all hell. When your idea of a really nice treat is a bottle of pop and a bag of chips, getting taxed on it because it's bad for your would suck rear end. If you're including cheap frozen poo poo that's unhealthy in your definition of junk food, then it's really gonna hit hard. Expand it to fast food? Okay, now you're just aiming to hurt people who work the dead end jobs, retail, and manual labour.

edited to add a bit more

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 6, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Slightly Toasted posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of pop and frozen/preserved dinners and stuff but yeah that's valid. Stuff like soda and chips are marketed towards children like crazy too I remember when I was in elementary school all we could buy in our canteen were chips and canned drinks. Middle school added fries and hard candy. If your parents gave you money for lunch that's all you ate.

Oh yeah, it's completely atrocious to see what kids get fed in school here. It's a loving embarrassment; it should practically be criminal. Look at school lunches from France for comparison -- guess what? They aren't actually spending appreciably more than we are!

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

Yeah, you can go to Co-Op here in Calgary and get a whole roast chicken and a salad, ready to eat, for $10-12. That's enough for 3 people to have a reasonable meal, requires no preparation, and is reasonably nutritionally balanced. If you're single, it's leftovers for lunch the next day or two. A Big Mac costs $5 or so. We eat lovely food because it tastes good and is enjoyable to eat, it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise.

EDIT: I think I might have met that Quebec health minister. Or maybe it was the children and family minister. Either way, he was large as gently caress, and I met him briefly because we were both smoking cigars in the La Casa del Habano in Montreal. Complete hypocrisy, IMO. Not the way to run a government.

Yeah but can you drive through the coop??

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

MohawkSatan posted:

My problem with the idea of taxing any food as a luxury is this: where is the line drawn. Junk food is unhealthy. When I was little, it was a luxury, because it wasn't something cheap and in bulk. Because when you're poor as hell, that's the food you want. Stuff that is cheap, comes in bulk, and takes no energy to prepare after a long lovely day of working your lovely low paying job. Now compare that to an actual luxury food, something like caviar or foie gras. Nobody who's poor is ever going to manage to pay for the nice poo poo, but they're getting taxed on the cheap poo poo. And conversely, the people with the money to afford the nice things aren't going to give a poo poo about the sin tax on junk food, and they're going to be able to afford the nice stuff.

It's a tax that would disproportionately hurt those who are the most hard up in terms of food choices. Junk food is a luxury of sorts. I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that a tax would be stupid as all hell.

That's literally the argument against all sin taxes and lol if you think taxes on things like alcohol don't have a disproportionate effect on the poor compared to the rich.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Normy posted:

Yeah but can you drive through the coop??

I think the doors are wide enough, but I'm pretty sure they'd get upset with you.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
gently caress you guys for making me read through three pages of this terrible derail.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sedge and Bee posted:

That's literally the argument against all sin taxes and lol if you think taxes on things like alcohol don't have a disproportionate effect on the poor compared to the rich.

Ya all sin taxes are bad. All sales taxes are bad.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

On the other hand, letting junk food sit as a cheap luxury incentivizes it when compared to other options especially in the case of youth.

There are lots of cheaper options for a fast meal that you can put in boiling water or an oven/microwave/pan for 10-15 and have something reasonably substantial. If you can't handle that you should maybe spend some time examining your life instead of your food choices.

e: I also just got out of a relationship with a girl who was living on assistance and would make the same arguments about how expensive food was and junk food was "all she could afford". And then when she got her cheques, she wouldn't buy anything but junk food and complain about how she never had anything to cook and it was all gone after a week. My food budget out of my salary was considerably smaller than hers living off of rice, eggs, fish and cheap grains/pasta so it was and still is hard to be sympathetic.

e2: except when I work up north. Price gouging on food up north is probably a bigger problem than people realize and drives a lot of people in reserve communities to obesity, malnourishment and diabetes.

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 6, 2015

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Listen, we can tax products all we want but we should at least be honest about it and not try to hide behind the idea of "discouraging use for health reasons". If the government seriously wanted to eliminate tobacco consumption it could take far more drastic actions, but much like the lottery, the government is willing to exploit the populace's vices to generate revenue. Fine, whatever, I doubt we'll ever get to a point where people live perfectly health-concious lives and honestly I would rather be able to get drunk once in a while and die sooner than try to maximize my health outcomes and still get cancer because of genetics or environment. But don't pretend like the government isn't happy the cigarette industry, or the alcohol industry, is still running so they can make bank off of it.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slightly Toasted posted:

On the other hand, letting junk food sit as a cheap luxury incentivizes it when compared to other options especially in the case of youth.

There are lots of cheaper options for a fast meal that you can put in boiling water or an oven/microwave/pan for 10-15 and have something reasonably substantial. If you can't handle that you should maybe spend some time examining your life instead of your food choices.

Self-reflection is par for the course when you're too miserable to do even the simplest tasks, so that avenue's already covered.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cowofwar posted:

gently caress you guys for making me read through three pages of this terrible derail.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slightly Toasted posted:

My own choices basically amount to variations on potatoes or rice. When I was a kid, it was meat(usually from hunting), potatoes or rice, and a canned or frozen veggie(whichever was cheaper in bulk). Every night. Once or twice a month, a bottle of pop and some chips or something. When both my parents were working and my sister and I were in school, cheap bulk frozen poo poo was the name of the game, because who had the time or energy or even willpower to actually prepare poo poo after work/school?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why aren't any of you talking about Minister Bad rear end's ties to the World Sikh Organization? Melian, were asleep at your desk or something? Why haven't you deployed your jackbooted jarheads? If JT appointed a Palestinian with ties to Fatah how good would you all feel about yourselves?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I'm pretty sick of this argument and I'm pretty sure you don't want me to answer that question so I googled sexy trudeau pics and these were the first three

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Cultural Imperial posted:

Why aren't any of you talking about Minister Bad rear end's ties to the World Sikh Organization? Melian, were asleep at your desk or something? Why haven't you deployed your jackbooted jarheads? If JT appointed a Palestinian with ties to Fatah how good would you all feel about yourselves?
JT appointed a Canadian.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slightly Toasted posted:

I'm pretty sick of this argument and I'm pretty sure you don't want me to answer that question so I googled sexy trudeau pics and these were the first three

I'd much rather see more of this than this dumb debate.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
and he's bad rear end

so bad rear end he was probably one of the guys in the back of that US cargo plane walking out his arab hostages

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
oh canadian forces. We can always count on you guys to do such a good job.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-police-complaints-afghan-detainees-1.3306702

quote:

Fresh allegations of war crimes and coverup levelled at Canadian military police and commanders in Afghanistan and in Ottawa are now under investigation by an independent watchdog.

The Military Police Complaints Commission announced Thursday it was conducting a public interest investigation into allegations Canadian military police members abused and "terrorized" Afghan detainees held in a Canadian prison at Kandahar Airfield.

Melian, please defend this.

:allears:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MohawkSatan posted:

I'd much rather see more of this than this dumb debate.

That mustache.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

If JT appointed a Palestinian with ties to Fatah how good would you all feel about yourselves?

please don't post my CanPol fanfic here, tia

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

cowofwar posted:

Okay but what does this have to do with anything? Last time I checked Canada isn't India.

the talent deficit posted:

what'd you learn? how does it relate to the partition of india? what about how it relates to canadian ministerial postings?

At least respond to the people nice enough to take the bait, CI.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
well if you can't tell me how it's irrelevant that a minister of defence has ties to a separatist/terrorist organization then

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

well if you can't tell me how it's irrelevant that a minister of defence has ties to a separatist/terrorist organization then

Hey they were our official opposition inbthe 90s

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I know Sajjan's father has ties to the WSO, who themselves have made statements supporting the Khalistan separatist movement, but I haven't seen any evidence he is a member or any statements he's made in support of the WSO or terrorist acts. I'd have to see something more concrete before I'd worry about the nefarious terrorist threat in our government.

Uppal met with WSO leaders, the WSO aren't a banned organization or anything.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 6, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/pan-am-games-within-24-billion-budget-ontario-government-says/article27128619/

quote:

In total, the province estimates the Games cost $2.423 billion and brought in $175 million, including $36 million in ticket sales.

Please stop hosting athletic boondoggles, Canada.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

cowofwar posted:

I normally just scroll past everything until I see a Helsing post, but he got in on this derail so I think I'm just going to go outside.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

OTTAWA — As Justin Trudeau’s new government announced it is bringing back the mandatory long-form census, the Conservative minister who was responsible for its demise said he regretted the decision and wished the Liberals well.

“I think I would have done it differently, looking back on it,” Ontario MP Tony Clement, the former industry minister and possible federal Conservative leadership contender, told The Huffington Post Canada.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Depressingly predictable, but at least Tory was smart enough not to bid for the Olympics.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Pinterest Mom posted:

OTTAWA — As Justin Trudeau’s new government announced it is bringing back the mandatory long-form census, the Conservative minister who was responsible for its demise said he regretted the decision and wished the Liberals well.

“I think I would have done it differently, looking back on it,” Ontario MP Tony Clement, the former industry minister and possible federal Conservative leadership contender, told The Huffington Post Canada.

That sounds like code for "Harper made me do it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Too bad he didn't have those second thoughts before he forced the head of StatsCan to resign rather than peddle incredibly obvious lies on his behalf.

Also the gender-balanced cabinet is coming under a bit of attack as it turns out that 5 of the 15 women are "ministers of state" who get paid less and report to more senior ministers. None of the men are. Michelle Rempel is blowing up her twitter about it so I expect to hear a lot about it from both the CPC and NDP over the next few days.