Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sounds great except for they'll cast one of Will Smith's awful kids in a leading role and no matter what script you throw at the new series it will be garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Twenty million is still twelve million after taxes, Daddy!

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Entropic posted:

I like section 31 because Roddenberry would have hated it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I don't see it?

It's clear as day.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

Ok, get this.

A star ship, stuck in a time bubble that resets with them and a nearby planet getting blown up.
They have a hologram character that starts to get messages from past versions, ala when Data did.
So the whole series is them repeating the same 24 hours with increasingly more information than the last.

Where the gently caress is my Emmy?

There have been a number of episodes of tv series which had time loops or resetting days, as did the movie Groundhog day and other movies. The xfiles did it, stargate, buffy the vampire slayer, and others. None of these lasted more than a 2 hour movie, though. How are you going to make a whole series out of this without it getting boring?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Orange Sunshine posted:

There have been a number of episodes of tv series which had time loops or resetting days, as did the movie Groundhog day and other movies. The xfiles did it, stargate, buffy the vampire slayer, and others. None of these lasted more than a 2 hour movie, though. How are you going to make a whole series out of this without it getting boring?

There was this show that tried it about 10 years ago, but it didn't last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there any reason to assume that Section 31 is even known by the Federation? I figured they were just bankrolled by particularly rich Federation types and were otherwise effectively a domestic terrorist organization. That's sort of the thing--they're so deep cover, they may as well not actually be covered at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The new series can be a what if section 31 never existed, and the Dominion was able to bide it's time and take over the whole alpha quadrant and a bunch of human slaves can have a perfectly upfront and transparent "government" in their slave quarters and talk about how great they all are. At some point early on there could be a reference to that time a star fleet captain caught a simple tailor trying to mislead the romulans and trick them into the war but he put a stop to that sound of underhanded immoral thing, then they'd all go start their 18 hour shift in the dylithium mines.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

The new series can be a what if section 31 never existed, and the Dominion was able to bide it's time and take over the whole alpha quadrant and a bunch of human slaves can have a perfectly upfront and transparent "government" in their slave quarters and talk about how great they all are. At some point early on there could be a reference to that time a star fleet captain caught a simple tailor trying to mislead the romulans and trick them into the war but he put a stop to that sound of underhanded immoral thing, then they'd all go start their 18 hour shift in the dylithium mines.

The founder disease didn't do poo poo to help win the dominion war, it just got them unconditional surrender terms after they beat them back to cardassia prime, as opposed to having to fight the remaining jem'hadar to the end.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

gently caress man i wanna have a substantive and thought provoking discussion about Section 31 and the Trek universe as a whole but im worried that one guy is gonna come back and call me a cheeto munching hyperfag.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
its ok i know you prefer funyons

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is there any reason to assume that Section 31 is even known by the Federation? I figured they were just bankrolled by particularly rich Federation types and were otherwise effectively a domestic terrorist organization. That's sort of the thing--they're so deep cover, they may as well not actually be covered at all.

How do you be particularly rich in a society without money?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I imagine them being like known by the govt but to the extent that anyone important has plausible deniability. Absolutely a govt sect though.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

counterfeitsaint posted:

i mean when you really think about it, it's not like anyone got killed by 'enhanced interrogation', right?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

counterfeitsaint posted:

Somehow, I feel like the Dominion would ultimately crumble under its own weight if it took over the Alpha Quadrant. It sort of seems like they are at a breaking point as it is--the Founders are wholly removed from active governance, and their genetic monsters seem to be growing increasingly harder to control.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was this show that tried it about 10 years ago, but it didn't last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

This is a fantastic show, and honestly, the fact it only lasted a season is a good thing. No time to gently caress it up. Dexter would have been a great 2 season show. The rise and fall of Dexter.

Basically, miniserieses are great.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
a show about quark, neelix, and geordi

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

a show about quark, neelix, and geordi

Quark and Neelix immediately become the most successful business partnership in the Quadrant.

Their business is having Geordi hosting an entertainment programme about literary holosuites and helping children understand the difference between Earth's Robin Hood versus the translated-for-Klingons version.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Geordi trying to bang a hologram version of Quark dressed as a woman, gets rejected, has to tell the violinist on the beach to knock it off

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The original Ferengi version is the best one. Robs from the rich and keeps it for himself. Minus taxes and bribes to officials (and taxes on those).

The giving to the poor thing was he was the first Ferengi to figure out a loop hole in where donating to charity actually made him money in tax breaks.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

happyhippy posted:

Ok, get this.

A star ship, stuck in a time bubble that resets with them and a nearby planet getting blown up.
They have a hologram character that starts to get messages from past versions, ala when Data did.
So the whole series is them repeating the same 24 hours with increasingly more information than the last.

Where the gently caress is my Emmy?

Star Trek: Major Kiera's Mask

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The fact they like constantly talk about their contacts who are senior members of Starfleet command and how when asked these people neither confirm nor deny it's existence. The fact Sisko basically goes to war against them.

The senior members of Starfleet know they exist for sure, but hide it from everyone else.

I've always seen it as the type of thing when you reach a certain senior rank one day you come across some cover up poo poo and your superior sits down with you and says "Son, we need to have an off the record chat" and brings you in on the secret on the condition you don't tell anyone until you're an admiral doing the same thing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the DS9 episode where they like imagine themselves into a crisis and at the end they're all "ha ha none of this is actually happening! Episode resolved!"

lol

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

Just watched the DS9 episode where they like imagine themselves into a crisis and at the end they're all "ha ha none of this is actually happening! Episode resolved!"

lol

Isn't that the episode where you first meet the Founders?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Isn't that the episode where you first meet the Founders?

If so it makes me feel better about the episode. Not just a "welp we'll never see those guys again! How mysterious!" sorta thing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Is that a different episode? You learn they're the founders when you learn its all a dream, right?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

Is that a different episode? You learn they're the founders when you learn its all a dream, right?

Yes. It's weird, but it shows that the Founders aren't a foe interested in destroying things, they're interested in control. It only seems out of place 'cause you know so little about the Dominion at that point, but by the end of the show the whole sequence demonstrates that A) the Dominion are genetic engineers and seem more comfortable working with biology rather than lifeless technology and B) The Dominion have a strong philosophical creedo behind their actions, and as cruel as they seem, they aren't just murderers--they allow the Federation people to leave the planet of their own free will.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm talking about the one where O'Brien imagines Rumplestilskin into existence and Bashir is embarrassed by his fantasy waifu version of Dax becoming real and then Odo chases an emu

just so we're all on the same page here

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my best guess was Our Man Bashir where the main characters get trapped in his james bond holodeck program so ("SPOILERS") he just lets the bad guys win because it doesn't matter

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm talking about the one where O'Brien imagines Rumplestilskin into existence and Bashir is embarrassed by his fantasy waifu version of Dax becoming real and then Odo chases an emu

just so we're all on the same page here

Oh!

Oh.

yeah that episode was weird lol

I like those ones a lot though, they're so off-beat. I put them under the heading "O'Brien Episodes" because he always got the weirdest high concept sci-fi poo poo, like when he got displaced in time.

Ralp posted:

my best guess was Our Man Bashir where the main characters get trapped in his james bond holodeck program so ("SPOILERS") he just lets the bad guys win because it doesn't matter

Second best episode of the whole Star Trek

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Clark Nova posted:

S31 is dumb, bad 1990's conspiracy garbage and is pretty much contrary to the entire idea of optimistic, humanist utopian science fiction.

Yes, and

Entropic posted:

I like section 31 because Roddenberry would have hated it.

Then again I personally have always thought Roddenberry was a naive ponce.

But about the show: S31 totally ripped off the whole X-Files vibe that was going on at the time for a cheap bandwagon. Not that I blame the producers, X-Files was HOT!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The only thing that makes S31 interesting is the fact the nation/empire/public etc it is trying to protect would inherently find it totally abhorrent.

If you just made an S31 show and put it in the 21st century it would be dull. There are too many shows where they basically endorse torture and extra judicial methods as "the ends justify the means" whereas the point all the (non-S31) characters make is that the ends DON'T justify the means.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ralp posted:

Evil genius sisko is cool.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Then again I personally have always thought Roddenberry was a naive ponce.

During WWII he rose to Captain in the Air Force, 394th Bomber Squadron. He piloted B17s and killed nazis and on one occasion his own men by accident. The man was many things but he was not a naive ponce. It's more he saw the horrors of war up close and so demanded humanity find peace and enlightenment, forced it down their throats because he could never figure out how we'd have it otherwise.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

chaosbreather posted:

During WWII he rose to Captain in the Air Force, 394th Bomber Squadron. He piloted B17s and killed nazis and on one occasion his own men by accident. The man was many things but he was not a naive ponce. It's more he saw the horrors of war up close and so demanded humanity find peace and enlightenment, forced it down their throats because he could never figure out how we'd have it otherwise.

No, we've moved on so far past the horrors of WW1 and WW2 now that anyone who basically says "Never again should we fight such a war" is labelled as weak with no empathy for not wanting to see millions of people die again.

In another generation or so people will have forgotten all the lessons we learnt from the wars entirely.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

drilldo squirt posted:

Evil genius sisko is cool.

any role that let avery brooks free his inner JAMBALAYA!!! crazy person gets a thumbs up from me

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
brooks seems like a hella cool guy but also how is he a real person. i mean

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
We should all be so lucky to end up in our lives as loving awesome as Avery Brooks, don't any of you forget it.

Kitchner posted:

The only thing that makes S31 interesting is the fact the nation/empire/public etc it is trying to protect would inherently find it totally abhorrent.

If you just made an S31 show and put it in the 21st century it would be dull. There are too many shows where they basically endorse torture and extra judicial methods as "the ends justify the means" whereas the point all the (non-S31) characters make is that the ends DON'T justify the means.

I want an episode in the new Trek series (I know I won't get what I want here but indulge me) where the crew beams down undercover to a pre-warp society, only they end up in the alien equivalent of one of our modern police procedurals and by the end of the story they're so disgusted by the behaviour of the aliens that they decide to violate the Prime Directive and just phaser the poo poo out of all the terrible alien cops in frustration before beaming away

It's what Kirk and Sisko would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

brooks seems like a hella cool guy but also how is he a real person. i mean

Much like Sun Ra before him, Brooks is probably from Saturn or something.

• Locked thread