Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Maybe like "shows that have half a season to sink or swim in ratings or get cancelled" I don't really know how it works for FX, AMC. But if it's on NBC, CBS or ABC I pretty much skip it off the bat. I don't really watch many tv series anymore though so I'm content with what I get from HBO Netflix etc. basically just wanna see titties and 9th doctor hammer

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. I just know there's certain lines shows on regular networks like those(and a few smaller tier ones like the CW types) just aren't going to cross, and most, if not all, of their shows are going to stick to same-ol-poo poo storytelling formulas with not enough unique or original style to make em worth watching. There's the rare exception here n there, like Mr Robot or Hannibal, but not nearly often enough to make it worth changing my tendencies/prejudice/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ohhhh yeah, Mr. Robot. I completely forgot to check that out...

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Despite being in an an almost totally different era of TV, what about X-files?

Fringe blended mythology and MOTW in a very unique way. X-Files is an amazing show but the mythology was hermetically sealed within season premieres, two parters, and finales. The MOTW episodes can be viewed at random otherwise. (yes there are slight exceptions but you get my point)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Season 3 of the X-Files is television gold.

Also, I've just decided to believe the things I want to the Leftovers, in no particular order:

- Holy Wayne was a fraud
- the voices and Kevin and his dad's heads are real, but they're not actually the person they appear as
- The departure was a divine event, and is just the beginning
- Matt had a minor psychotic break or whatever, believing his wife woke up that night.

I'm just choosing what I want to believe unless and until the show convinces me otherwise.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

blarzgh posted:

- the voices and Kevin and his dad's heads are real, but they're not actually the person they appear as

Yeah, this is the feeling I get as well. If the Departure was a "divine" event, I think the thing speaking to Kevin is something like an Archangel. Maybe Gabriel?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Never mind my last post because Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are some of my all time favorite TV shows.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Yeah, this is the feeling I get as well. If the Departure was a "divine" event, I think the thing speaking to Kevin is something like an Archangel. Maybe Gabriel?

That would be one messed up cryptic angel which leads me to think that it's probably evil... if it's actually a thing and not Kevin's subconscious talking to him in the form of the most charismatic and frightening person he ever met. Jury's still out, no tangible evidence that Patty knows things Kevin doesn't yet.
...and before Patty, there was dog killing man who was lying about the dogs being unable to be retamed, playing on all of Kevin's fears w/r/t his wife in a cult, the loss of contact with his son, losing control of the town because of the GR...
The first thought when the Murphy's daughter had her "away" epilepsy thing was that Kevin might have something similar. I'd love to know more about the daughter.

But the show is NOT going to answer these questions,
it's going to focus on what happened to the people of this town when they became "the spared" and what's going to happen now that 3 have dissapeared. How Nora came there in a desperate quest for safety which is now dashed and their family is three wounded people clinging on to eachother like they're drowning. Hopefully we'll see more of the totally not recovered from the GR ex-wife and her totally not recovered from Holy Wayne's cult son who just can't live without "faith" even if they make it up themselves.

Matt episodes are always amazing because he commits to a belief and goes all in (not a rapture by god fliers, love can save the GR campaign, Miracle does have miracles...) whereas everyone else is still searching. He gets his rear end kicked and life punches him in the gut but he has real belief and purpose to hold on to. He's unhinged and yet somehow more grounded than anyone else.
I guess it's maybe because, even in this world, knowing what you believe with certainty might make you a wackjob but we envy those wackjobs for their unwavering certainty about life, the universe and everything instead of being clueless about what comes next and why we're here... or worse, facing the possibility that it's all random stardust that's utterly meaningless compared to our universe and it's timeline.
Not knowing is frightening and 'letting the mystery be' requires an ability to let go and chill that most of us don't have when facing suffering or death.

edit:
If you're looking for interesting shows, there's River currently airing on BBC1 (or filez) it's detective work with a twist and the investigation is going to last for 6, hour long episodes. Sarsgard sr is fantastic.
The sundance channel had The Red Road, facinating character drama based on real life events and Rectify, a slow burn story about a man released from death row.
Netflix has Sense8 which is certainly out of the box (and great fun)
Nthing the suggestion of Mr Robot- if The Leftovers explores grief, Mr Robot explores identity.
Life and Terriers are two detective shows which are unlike anything else. A lot more lighthearted viewing but gripping and moving: you will become quite vocal and defensive about these shows to others if you watch them!
Durham county is a canadian show about how one crime can mess up people for life. Very disturbing atmosphere.
Wallander is another one cop show which is moody and near painful but beautiful.
If you like being gutpunched by your tv, then Sleeper Cell is a realistic view into a terrorist organization.

Not sure what you're looking for: out of the box television or realistic depictions of grief, depression, burn out?

n3wt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 6, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If you like The Leftovers, you should definitely be watching The Returned.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Junkenstein posted:

If you like The Leftovers, you should definitely be watching The Returned.

A little strange that they're airing the sequel even before the first one even ends but what the gently caress do I know.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frostwerks posted:

A little strange that they're airing the sequel even before the first one even ends but what the gently caress do I know.

Uhh, what? I don't understand what you mean here.

Finally watching the episode and hahahah god drat Matt is completely insane.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Escobarbarian posted:

Uhh, what? I don't understand what you mean here.

They're joking about the title.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

This is painfully obvious, but I think it needs to be said and before we have another episode out too: this show is dealing heavily with refugees, refugee camps, borders, and migrants (either literally or by proxy, depending) this season and especially that last episode. Personally, I think it's doing it very well, better than Homeland, which is trying to be about some or all of those things quite literally this season. (I doubt the camp in The Leftovers had any graffiti saying "The Leftovers is not a series" in it; on the other hand, the closed captioning said one guy in the last episode of The Leftovers was speaking in Farsi, I think it was, and I'm a tiny bit curious what he actually said because of the Homeland graffiti issue.)

I may be better off not knowing, but I'm also a little curious when the last episode was written exactly, because parts of it were really, really loaded, if not the whole thing. I mean specifically the part where Matt, after raising money fast in the camp, pays a human trafficker to get him and his disabled wife into town and a) they fail to get in and, b) more importantly, almost drown in the attempt.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This show is exhausting. So good, but exhausting. Poor Nora. Her brother loves the suffering, she just wants a normal life.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The last 10 mins of that episode was as intense as anything I've seen on TV.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Onomarchus posted:

This is painfully obvious, but I think it needs to be said and before we have another episode out too: this show is dealing heavily with refugees, refugee camps, borders, and migrants (either literally or by proxy, depending) this season and especially that last episode. Personally, I think it's doing it very well, better than Homeland, which is trying to be about some or all of those things quite literally this season. (I doubt the camp in The Leftovers had any graffiti saying "The Leftovers is not a series" in it; on the other hand, the closed captioning said one guy in the last episode of The Leftovers was speaking in Farsi, I think it was, and I'm a tiny bit curious what he actually said because of the Homeland graffiti issue.)

I may be better off not knowing, but I'm also a little curious when the last episode was written exactly, because parts of it were really, really loaded, if not the whole thing. I mean specifically the part where Matt, after raising money fast in the camp, pays a human trafficker to get him and his disabled wife into town and a) they fail to get in and, b) more importantly, almost drown in the attempt.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

E: http://www.projectcasting.com/casting-calls-acting-auditions/hbo-the-leftovers-season-2-open-casting-call-in-austin-texas/
Minor spoiler warning in that link, they refer in very vague terms to stuff that hasn't been shown yet.

Season 2 was filmed between April and September so it was probably written mostly at the end of 2014. :shrug:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 9, 2015

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Man this show is good.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Does anyone have the power to capture Kevin's face while Nora was stealing the file?

Also, is Garvey dog ever going to come back?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I absolutely love how this season they are addressing the craziness head on. Kevin just admitting to the voices is great, and makes me excited with regards to what comes next even as I know that they won't explain the big mysteries.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jill and Michael, star-crossed lovers.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Bananaquiter posted:

Does anyone have the power to capture Kevin's face while Nora was stealing the file?

The oft missed 4th victim of the 2nd departure. This show was legit good last season but holy gently caress are they ever knocking it out of the park. I watch this before anything else on sunday nights now.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Leftovers Season 2: Good enough to watch sober.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

Jill and Michael, star-crossed lovers.

Those two might as well've departed with the three teen girls for how little I care about them, especially in comparison to all the other, adult characters on the show

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Holy gently caress this episode gave me the chills. poo poo's so good.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Nora should've made a fake questionnaire with "this page intentionally blank" on every page, and then switched them.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
The last 10 minutes of this show continue to blow the competition away. The extra minutes are just icing on the cake.

It's high-time I begin a rewatch of Season 1.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hey Nora, don't be so fast to assume the demon Azreal isn't actually really living inside you and making you generate so much ultraviolet that it caused your immediate family to lift, ok?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So...Nora threw the rock into the window, right? It was a little hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure that was Nora.

Why did she do that?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It was Nora. I think she was angry with John, while pretending otherwise, like Matt intimated later.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

100% show. best on tv atm???? possibly

I dunno man I love The Knick but it's pretty drat close.

Good episode this week but I was missing the one-episode-per-character thing.

James Dente
Nov 29, 2003
Awful Things Ate My Head
That Simon & Garfunkel song over the end credits confirms this show as the greatest currently on TV.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lycus posted:

It was Nora. I think she was angry with John, while pretending otherwise, like Matt intimated later.

No, she was angry with the concept that her "safe place" (the idea that there's a place in the world that wasn't and can't be "touched" by the Departure and tragedy in general) was anything but

She doesn't care about John, not really. It's why she so aggressively confronted Erika at the end of the episode, it's why she was so nervous and angry with the scientist on her doorstep, it's why she had that whole subplot with the DSD guy. The idea the episode was underlining - and fairly obviously so - is that Nora and Erika are two sides of the same coin, dealing with the tragedy of loss and departures in vastly different ways. Nora's accepted the departure of her family with a sort of cynical fatalism - poo poo jsut happens, and she's not responsible for any of it, after torturing herself for a season trying to grasp the enormity of losing her family on October 14 - combined with a carefully constructed optimistic delusion that Miracle is exactly what it promises to be, a safe haven from misery. The disappearance of the three girls is a visible reminder that her delusion is a lie, so she reacts angrily, violently to it - throwing rocks through windows, stealing questionnaires, that whole showdown with Erika.

In contrast Erika's internalized the concept that her daughter has disappeared with a sort of hyper-realism - as her speech during the rally and showdown with Nora exemplified. She's willing to accept the reality that there's unexplained nonsense and that there's no rules when it comes to matters of faith and god, and more than anything that "There are no miracles in Miracle." Nora has been able to move past her own sense of loss by constructing a careful narrative that absolves her of any blame or responsibility, since the event lacks any real answers. In contrast Erika has moved in a more solipsistic, "The only truth is that there are no truths" manner, and that creates natural tension.

Matt's adventures last episode have little to nothing to do with why Nora and Erika are at a crossroads - it's a more philosophical, vaguer, and unclear version of Jack versus Locke.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Nora didn't accept the departure at all. She has been terrified of it and feels guilty that she might have caused it by wishing them away, which is the entire reason she spends 3 million dollars to live in Jarden. Then not only does her next door neighbor disappear, but you have people, both credible (DSD) and not so credible (demon Azrael) saying that disappearances may actually be tied to certain individuals. That is why it is so important to her to prove that her neighbor didn't actually disappear. And in the process she realizes that Erika has internalized the guilt as well, that it might have been her wish. The result is Nora's speech, and Erika seeing through it. And the anger, both ways, is because it essentially confirms their worst fear, in their minds: that they caused the departures through their wishes.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 9, 2015

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Nora didn't accept the departure at all. She has been terrified of it and feels guilty that she might have caused it by wishing them away, which is the entire reason she spends 3 million dollars to live in Jarden. Then not only does her next door neighbor disappear, but you have people, both credible (DSD) and not so credible (demon Azrael) saying that disappearances may actually be tied to certain individuals. That is why it is so important to her to prove that her neighbor didn't actually disappear. And in the process she realizes that Erika has internalized the guilt as well, that it might have been her wish. The result is Nora's speech, and Erika seeing through it. And the anger, both ways, is because it essentially confirms their worst fear, in their minds: that they caused the departures through their wishes.

This.
Nora was bollocking away about no-one being guilty for the departure but she spent the whole episode worried about somehow having caused the loss of her family and the recent dissapearances by being a *lens* hence the need to steal the new DSD questions and the fear that the demon scientists (LOL) were somehow onto something.
Last season she was still buying her kids' cereal and stuff because she had survivors guilt over the fact that she wasn't paying attention that morning and was cranky.
The Guilty Remnant uses this very common reaction, they torture people by staring at them all day and being "living reminders" (ie: of their guilt). The cult members get a small release in accepting their so called guilt then the purpose and routine that the cult provide along with a punishing lifestyle that must feel like penance somehow.

I find Erika a fascinating person, she believes in the bird in the box thing but also that there are really no miracles in miracle. Wants to leave John but often protects him?
Helps that the actress is knocking it out of the ballpark. Amazing and so intense.

Was good to finally get the story behind goat dude and wedding dress lady but argh they are so teasing us about the identity of the man in the trailer who sent the pies and knew Nora had lost family in the departure...and who might know about the bird incident.
"Don't make me say his name" made me roll my eyes, how convenient to keep another mystery.

Nora's whole day culminating with coming home to Kevin who's seeing a ghost was hilarious.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Kevin will deal with Patty now that someone else is in on it and can call her bullshit. I think was have a Tom and Laurie episode coming up next though.

I just googled Azrael and fell down a rabbit hole of mystic woo woo websites who claim he's the archangel of death and some sort of grief comforter to be prayed to.
Guess if you are going to go with a demonic explanation to the departure, why not go with the grim reaper?

n3wt fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 10, 2015

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

So...Nora threw the rock into the window, right? It was a little hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure that was Nora.

Why did she do that?

Because the Murphy's daughter disappearing and Nora possibly being the cause has caused her to hate them. She was trying to escape her old life and find a safe place to start anew but now all the craziness is back on her doorstep.

edit: Someone a few posts above mine answered way more eloquently and in detail.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

n3wt posted:

Nora's whole day culminating with coming home to Kevin who's seeing a ghost was hilarious.

I liked how they teased the whole predictable misunderstanding that usually happens on TV with him saying "I'm seeing a woman" and having to repeat it for Nora until enough time went by for her to figure out just what he was going on about.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Bananaquiter posted:

They're not our dogs anymore

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Good god, this show.

How do they keep making it better each week?

How?!

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The intro song was really cool. I hope these crazy scientists are coming back, I'm interested in learning more about their lens theory.

Oh not to mention their Azrael Theory :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm thinking that next episode is Tom and Laurie and whatever the hell's going on there.

Though Jesus making GBS threads christ do I want to know more about why Patti thinks it's a 'bad idea'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I totally called the departures being wished away, I hope that's the reason. They could go deep places with that.

• Locked thread