Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Illuyankas posted:

Play dragonhunter in pvp before they nerf it, hurry do it nowwwww

The best thing is some of the traps were already nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I did some quick benchmarks on the 64bit client vs the 32bit client

You can see them here http://i.imgur.com/8P985tA.jpg

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Play dragonhunter in pvp before they nerf it, hurry do it nowwwww

True Shot is totally going to get nerfed :(

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I don't get why people aren't liking Daredevil, it's fun as heck (note: in open-world PvE, HoT specifically). I'm sure I'm suboptimal or whatever, but I can play the game like I'm playing Dark Souls: the only time I get hit is when I get lazy or overextend myself. I have three full dodges, Withdraw on a 15 second cooldown, all my dodges apply huge AoE conditions, I have an on-demand blind with Staff 4, a very low cooldown block in Bandit's Defense, I can't be crippled or immobilized (Staff 3), and I steal things constantly. Because I'm dumb and go for total overkill on dodging I'm using Adventurer runes, which means I get half my endurance back every time I Withdraw (again, every 15 seconds), and a Stamina sigil on my staff, which means I literally can't stop dodging. I'm whipping in and out of melee constantly, leaving everything in my wake crippled, bleeding, tormented, and swinging at nothing. It's rad.

I liked it just fine until i tried dragonhunter and reaper and chronomancer and scrapper, then i stopped logging in my thief.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Definitely looking smoother on the 64bit.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Did you play thief before HoT? Mess around with Acro pre-nerf? General thief consensus (goon thieves at least) is that it's just nothing new or interesting for the class. It doesn't shake things up the way Reaper or Dragonhunter did, or give us any unique edge like Chronomancer has, and that's disappointing. But if you're having fun go hog wild man, absolutely.

More than any other class! I think maybe that's part of it: I'm not very good and so I was always using Feline Grace before the trait changes. After Acrobatics was demolished, playing Thief became much more stressful and I felt like I could either do massive damage with a long setup at extremely high risk or never get hit but also never kill anything. Now I feel like I am back in that more comfortable middle, getting up close and moving around and not getting hit but actually hurting things.

Sure it's not Dragonhunter or Reaper, but those will get toned down, we all know it. And nothing is Chronomancer. But it's fun!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

OzFactor posted:

I don't get why people aren't liking Daredevil, it's fun as heck (note: in open-world PvE, HoT specifically). I'm sure I'm suboptimal or whatever, but I can play the game like I'm playing Dark Souls: the only time I get hit is when I get lazy or overextend myself. I have three full dodges, Withdraw on a 15 second cooldown, all my dodges apply huge AoE conditions, I have an on-demand blind with Staff 4, a very low cooldown block in Bandit's Defense, I can't be crippled or immobilized (Staff 3), and I steal things constantly. Because I'm dumb and go for total overkill on dodging I'm using Adventurer runes, which means I get half my endurance back every time I Withdraw (again, every 15 seconds), and a Stamina sigil on my staff, which means I literally can't stop dodging. I'm whipping in and out of melee constantly, leaving everything in my wake crippled, bleeding, tormented, and swinging at nothing. It's rad.

You can pretty much dodge around like whoa as a default thief anyway. Staff doesn't really do much the other weapon sets don't. Plus while a daredevil is flipping around looking cool, other specs are actually tearing mordremoth a new rear end in a top hat.

Honestly the only reason to play my thief right now, mechanically, is because it's loaded with my only set of ascended gear. Otherwise I'd be Shiro/Glint Rev 24/7.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hope not. I don't play PvP, but I think people are just terrible. On the guardian forums, people had been asking for the root to be removed at the expense of losing damage because stopping in place is too big of a tell and everyone just dodges it. Then HoT launches and people are crying that true shot hits them too hard, nerf it, wah wah wah. I'm assuming these people are just terrible.

Dragonhunter is the most fun I've had with my guardian in a long time. I hope it and other eite specs don't get ruined because of PvP balance. They should just split the skills between PvE and PvP if they believe something is such a big deal.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

OzFactor posted:

Sure it's not Dragonhunter or Reaper, but those will get toned down, we all know it. And nothing is Chronomancer. But it's fun!

even when they get toned down they're still going to be more fun and useful than daredevil

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jaegerx posted:

I dunno, man. Kind of looks rear end on both clients.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I got that in the exact same spot. That was my breaking point after my previous attempt fizzled out on an updraft which wouldn't trigger my glider. What a horrible, buggy mess.

Yeah it's pretty disappointing, since the personal story is actually decently engaging (at least by the low standards of MMO stories) up to this point. I was enjoying the ride and ready to stomp a dragon('s mind). Then stuff kept bugging out and killing me for no obvious reason, and I had to redo the whole fight over and over again. Any interesting story events become pretty monotonous when it's your third time seeing them play out in the last 30 minutes. Disappointing way to fizzle out a story that actually seemed to be going places for once.

Edit: Unrelated, I found the DnT video about their prize elementalist spec to be kind of dumb. I'm sure it's someone's mathed up min-maxed top DPS build, or whatever. But it's a staff build using tempest, which just doesn't compute right out of the gate. The main strength of staff is being able to nuke at range and keep the mobs back with snares and walls and so on. Whereas the main strength of Tempest is the overloads, which are all small radius AoEs right around your character. If you're going to be mashing your face on a mob, you'd probably be using a dagger with its close range attacks, gap closers, and escape mobility options.

But they sure did blow up that training golem real good, I guess.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 5, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

OzFactor posted:

I'm not so sure about that. All of the elite specs but dd & tempest seem to be on the same level wrt damage/utility/survivability, and tempest still has base ele going for it. I think it's more likely dd will eventually get number buffs, like, a year down the line, not that that'll fix anything about it really.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Tempest utility is absurd, but the spec kinda forces you into an aura build. Standard Ele builds don't gain much from it, especially considering overloading element isn't as big of a deal as say, Berserk, Reaper's Shroud or the Dragonhunter's changed virtues.

GI_Clutch posted:

I hope not. I don't play PvP, but I think people are just terrible. On the guardian forums, people had been asking for the root to be removed at the expense of losing damage because stopping in place is too big of a tell and everyone just dodges it. Then HoT launches and people are crying that true shot hits them too hard, nerf it, wah wah wah. I'm assuming these people are just terrible.

Dragonhunter is the most fun I've had with my guardian in a long time. I hope it and other eite specs don't get ruined because of PvP balance. They should just split the skills between PvE and PvP if they believe something is such a big deal.

It's a 3/4s cast which is the perfect balance of 'not too detrimental' and 'can be used to force dodges'. I mean, it has a 4s cooldown. There are better ranged attacks out there (e.g. Rapid Fire) but they usually require setup whereas True Shot setups itself (or other attacks).

I don't think it's that powerful in PvP, in any case. The relatively low damage (compared to other weapons' 'main' attacks, ranged or melee) and cast time keep it in check, and the low cooldown is probably more important in PvE than PvP. It's the combination of things like Test of Faith, Spear of Justice and Heavy Light that make Dragonhunter do so much loving damage in PvP.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 5, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm not so sure about that. All of the elite specs but dd & tempest seem to be on the same level wrt damage/utility/survivability, and tempest still has base ele going for it. I think it's more likely dd will eventually get number buffs, like, a year down the line, not that that'll fix anything about it really.

I think I agree, though part of that might be wishful thinking (plz don't nerf my chrono anet :ohdear:). But you're right: most of the elite specs are on roughly the same level of usefulness and excitement except for Tempest and Daredevil (and still Berserker for some players, I guess) so to me it makes more sense to buff those.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mizuti posted:

I don't normally like the neon hair colors or the bat wings, but this character pulls it off gloriously.

You're making me blush :3:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

Edit: Unrelated, I found the DnT video about their prize elementalist spec to be kind of dumb. I'm sure it's someone's mathed up min-maxed top DPS build, or whatever. But it's a staff build using tempest, which just doesn't compute right out of the gate. The main strength of staff is being able to nuke at range and keep the mobs back with snares and walls and so on. Whereas the main strength of Tempest is the overloads, which are all small radius AoEs right around your character. If you're going to be mashing your face on a mob, you'd probably be using a dagger with its close range attacks, gap closers, and escape mobility options.

But they sure did blow up that training golem real good, I guess.

I actually did a random PUG run of HOTW a few months ago with a DnT staff elementalist. They were not terrible or anything, especially not by pubbie standards, but they were downed many, many times while fighting the Butcher. They use the glassiest of glass builds and that's pretty much it.

Even a single mistake if going to mean insta death, and guess what humans make mistakes.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I actually did a random PUG run of HOTW a few months ago with a DnT staff elementalist. They were not terrible or anything, especially not by pubbie standards, but they were downed many, many times while fighting the Butcher. They use the glassiest of glass builds and that's pretty much it.

Even a single mistake if going to mean insta death, and guess what humans make mistakes.

Yeah I can't really talk there, I've been running full berserker except maybe a couple jewelery items forever. I have no problem dealing with any telegraphed attacks, and anything that's just invisible damage out of nowhere I figure would be just as B.S. even if I were in full soldier's, so I dig in my heels and refuse to change. I do get tired of being one-shot in the legendary wyvern fights in the new jungle zones though. :sigh:

I kind of just wish they'd figure out what WoW did long ago, that you can't make HP a primary stat on gear, you just need to put at least a little bit of it on everything by default. Players don't care about making their HP bar bigger (unless they're a tank, whoops we don't have any of those), they care about making damage numbers bigger. Plus you can't really balance damage output to be challenging-but-fair when one person might have double the HP of the next person.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

The True Shot > Judge's Intervention combo is pretty rough, but as others have said you can dodge TS most of the time. The traps and the daze trait are a bigger issue imo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I missed the necropostin' the other day but here is my Order of Whispers reaper :buddy:

I wish you could see backpacks on charselect.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well I guess I can rule out memory leaks and overheating as causes of my crashes.
Launched GW2, loaded my reaper, got my daily reward, opened the trading post and got a black screen. Probably playing for... 30 seconds at most? So definitely not long enough for either of those things to be a factor.

I guess I'll start turning down graphics settings.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I missed the necropostin' the other day but here is my Order of Whispers reaper :buddy:

I wish you could see backpacks on charselect.

That looks pretty good. :thumbsup:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

This has been the default thinking in PvE for a very long time though, since every class can heal itself and defensive stats are wasted when you take no damage with dodge rolls, reflects and blocks. Until relatively recently every PvE boss/enemy in the game was simply a damage sponge. Another argument is that even if you're continually in a downed state, you're still doing good damage with your glass cannon build.

I play with a terrible ping and I use full zerk gear because really the PvE in this game isn't challenging and I'd rather carve through it ASAP. I do primarily play Guard/DH though and you can spam blocks and blinds and reflects and so forth while making GBS threads out ridiculous damage with gay abandon so ymmv

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

cpaf posted:

This has been the default thinking in PvE for a very long time though, since every class can heal itself and defensive stats are wasted when you take no damage with dodge rolls, reflects and blocks. Until relatively recently every PvE boss/enemy in the game was simply a damage sponge. Another argument is that even if you're continually in a downed state, you're still doing good damage with your glass cannon build.

I play with a terrible ping and I use full zerk gear because really the PvE in this game isn't challenging and I'd rather carve through it ASAP. I do primarily play Guard/DH though and you can spam blocks and blinds and reflects and so forth while making GBS threads out ridiculous damage with gay abandon so ymmv

Yeah, a combination of boss mobs having too many hit points by about a factor of 10 and the damage you take being so high that defensive stats are almost completely inconsequential makes berserker the only real option.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Apparently higher up fractals bosses have increased Toughness for some reason so Sinister becomes best for more than like 2 classes or whatever. RIP Zerk

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Apparently higher up fractals bosses have increased Toughness for some reason so Sinister becomes best for more than like 2 classes or whatever. RIP Zerk

Pretty much. From all the runs I've been doing, it's clear that toughness is scaled up a lot faster than vitality for mobs. Not bringing competent condition damage basically means your team will be there a lot longer than it needs to be.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

^^^^^
thats actually a cool change. I'm glad they are at least trying to vary high level builds.

cpaf posted:

Don't get me wrong I usually run berserker armor when I ran dungeons too, but that's not really what I meant when I said glass cannon build. Like you said there are enough active ways to stay standing through weapons/skills/traits that running full damage stats is perfectly possible. But when you don't use any of those and just rely on super specialized speed running team compositions its useless in other situations.

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I like Daredevil, but it's the only class I have above 30! I also probably take flavour into account more than most when picking class. Could you explain how to use Bandit's Defense and block right? I used that skill at first but I have no clue if I'm supposed to block the big telegraph attacks or just pop it whenever it's off cooldown.

Also, should I have a level 53 char for all the bags they give me in HoT? There seems to be a million little things that people have figured out over the years but I have no clue about, like that weekly bandit key I saw someone mention a few pages ago.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

^^^^^
thats actually a cool change. I'm glad they are at least trying to vary high level builds.
The problem is that all it's done is changed it from 'all zerk' to 'all sinister' because the damage scaling was changed and 100 isn't significantly more NPC damage than the old 50. Raids may well be different but at the moment you're still doing glass cannons in high end fractals, you're just doing them with conditions instead of raw power.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Farbror posted:

Also, should I have a level 53 char for all the bags they give me in HoT? There seems to be a million little things that people have figured out over the years but I have no clue about, like that weekly bandit key I saw someone mention a few pages ago.

That's a black lion key, to open those black lion chests. Normally you get them for the gem store but a certain low level personal story mission gives one as a reward. Of course then people farm that by making a new character and deleting it after they finish that mission. Anet restricted this to one key per week.

But really don't key farm. Its soul crushing and the rewards from chest are normally poo poo.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

You can also get keys from unlocking the new stronghold characters, though that's probably not repeatable.

Edit: Apparently Bonzai Buddy is the new Stupid Newbie.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

The non-repeatable Jungle SPvP Rank tracks give them too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Did you play thief before HoT? Mess around with Acro pre-nerf? General thief consensus (goon thieves at least) is that it's just nothing new or interesting for the class. It doesn't shake things up the way Reaper or Dragonhunter did, or give us any unique edge like Chronomancer has, and that's disappointing. But if you're having fun go hog wild man, absolutely.

I don't get this at all. I never really enjoyed thief, but Daredevil is my jam. The weapon skills do good AoE (unlike daggers) and are a lot more fun than swords, and there's something really satisfying about dealing damage with your fancy dodges. Compared to thief, it just feels and looks so much better to me.

Then again, I'm the kind of scrub who plays a non-shiro Revenant because having fun is more important to me than doing max deeps.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Doing lots of damage is also enjoyable in it's own right, if you like that kind of thing. They're not exclusive, fun is subjective. If you don't like the playstyle of the meta dungeon builds or whatever enough to not want to bother with them, you don't have to turn it into 'well I'm a virtuous funhaver gamer, not some soulless nerd' in self-defense against people calling your DPS terrible.

And yeah Daredevil mostly just reinforces existing Thief playstyles, giving them a long-range rifle spec would have been more 'different' but there's plenty of those already.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Doing lots of damage is also enjoyable in it's own right, if you like that kind of thing. They're not exclusive, fun is subjective. If you don't like the playstyle of the meta dungeon builds or whatever enough to not want to bother with them, you don't have to turn it into 'well I'm a virtuous funhaver gamer, not some soulless nerd' in self-defense against people calling your DPS terrible.

And yeah Daredevil mostly just reinforces existing Thief playstyles, giving them a long-range rifle spec would have been more 'different' but there's plenty of those already.

Not what I was going for, but sorry if I came off like it. It's just that I've seen people saying that revenant is boring because all they do is auto attack, when they can be a lot of fun if you don't go for min max.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 6, 2015

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I feel like if they were set on the idea of Daredevil as it is but gave them rifle instead of staff, it would have been ridiculously overpowered.

On the other hand, they can do that next expansion but tie it to an elite spec that is not so focused on mobility/evasion.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Your Computer posted:

I don't get this at all. I never really enjoyed thief, but Daredevil is my jam. The weapon skills do good AoE (unlike daggers) and are a lot more fun than swords, and there's something really satisfying about dealing damage with your fancy dodges. Compared to thief, it just feels and looks so much better to me.

Then again, I'm the kind of scrub who plays a non-shiro Revenant because having fun is more important to me than doing max deeps.

I'm pretty sure the 'optimal' way to play Revenant in PvE is to just use Glint with Invocation for permanent 100% crit chance and a ton of might stacks, while sharing them and fury with the rest of your party. That is kinda boring, as you basically eliminate the use of utility skills.

But some people enjoy that simplicity, especially when the outcome is absurd damage output. If one wants to use 15+ different skills every fight, Engineer and Ele are waiting.

Anyway, Shiro is fun as poo poo. Between on demand quickness, targeted blinks and Jade Wind, there's always something to do. But the same can be said for the other legendaries.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 6, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Using anything other than Impossible Odds in Shiro is a dramatic DPS loss, hth.

Honestly I'm pretty bummed about Revenant now that I'm 80, geared, and almost have Herald fully unlocked. The optimal rotation is very busy and very hollow -- lots of buttons to press, zero thought required, and all your damage comes from auto attacking. It's just painfully boring.

Maybe I'll move all my pink zerker accessories to a class that's actually fun to play (I still have Reaper, Chronomancer, and Dragonhunter) and turn this dude into a Ventari/Herald buff & heal bot for WvW instead. Revenant DPS in PvE is like watching paint dry.

boho fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 6, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks to the new changes I was able to hit 14 burn stacks in the mists with Berserker, which was around 5800/tick. That is, of course, on top of the damage from bleeding at ~1k/tick and the sword auto hitting for around 800. In PvE I'd expect to produce at least 25% better on each of those.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

boho posted:

Using anything other than Impossible Odds in Shiro is a dramatic DPS loss, hth.

Honestly I'm pretty bummed about Revenant now that I'm 80, geared, and almost have Herald fully unlocked. The optimal rotation is very busy and very hollow -- lots of buttons to press, zero thought required, and all your damage comes from auto attacking. It's just painfully boring.

Glint is far better, not to mention that it spreads the boons to your entire party. You'll find this out when you fully unlock the class. Switching between the two isn't a bad idea if you're solo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your Computer posted:

I use Shiro on revenant but I think running around with a staff 80% of the time counterbalances it. The damage on staff is pretty subpar but goddamn those style points are just too good to give up.

• Locked thread