Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So is the significance of "Here's to you" song really just because its a martyrs song? Because I don't really see a hard connection between Nicola and Bart to any MGS characters except for The Boss but the song is never used in her context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shaocaholica posted:

So is the significance of "Here's to you" song really just because its a martyrs song? Because I don't really see a hard connection between Nicola and Bart to any MGS characters except for The Boss but the song is never used in her context.

Snake and Otacon were supposed to be executed at the end of MGS4 and Hideo Kojima had a great song left over when that got vetoed by everyone else on the project.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

yes. Just like there's not real connection between Che and Big Boss. Also Kojima really wanted Solid Snake and Otacon to be executed at the end of MGS4, and now he's just using the song anyway because he likes it.

edit: I'll just leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVrj9S59u7I

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nicola and Bart are Miller's missing limbs.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Holy poo poo!!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So is MGS5 at Prometheus level fan plot over analysis yet?

I actually liked Prometheus

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

So is MGS5 at Prometheus level fan plot over analysis yet?

I actually liked Prometheus

Way beyond. Prometheus is "See Spot Run" compared to MGSV in terms of bullshit people are overanalyzing. I don't know where you've been, but there are people who are considering breaking and entering into real life buildings in real life because they think hidden messages in a video game told them to. I don't think anything happened like that with Prometheus.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Probably only because Prometheus took place on an alien planet and it's a lot harder to get there than some New York tenement.

ARG fans are pretty crazy, it's not just MGS.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Snak posted:

I don't know where you've been

Sigh. The last time I played MGS(4, not counting PW) I was single with no children. I'm a bit late to this show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

You shouldn't confuse plot analysis with clinical insanity.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

That's part of it yeah and also it tangentially applies to the totally Guantanamo Bay setting in GZ and how prisoners there are/were treated similarly to Sacco and Vanzetti.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Colapops posted:

Holy poo poo!!

PISSSSSS

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Another thing, I really hate how the loving game lacks any emotion whatsoever. Sure, MGS 4 wasn't really that elegant about it, but it was charming. MGS 3 had a good couple of moments tho.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MGS4 was loving charmless. it asked you to feel bad when Vamp, the shittiest rear end in a top hat monster of the series, was dying for gently caress's sake. That moment just really pissed me off but then again you also were asked the same for Naomi, who really isn't that great of a character either.

"snake and otacon executed" is the first I've heard about, though. I'd prefer that over the ridiculous Big Boss biomort resurrection plotdump for half an hour.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 5, 2015

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

NeilPerry posted:

Another thing, I really hate how the loving game lacks any emotion whatsoever. Sure, MGS 4 wasn't really that elegant about it, but it was charming. MGS 3 had a good couple of moments tho.

Phantom Pain has joyful dogs, angry men, and a campy mummy skeleton. It does not lack any emotion whatsoever.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

MGS4 was loving charmless. it asked you to feel bad when Vamp, the shittiest rear end in a top hat monster of the series, was dying for gently caress's sake. That moment just really pissed me off but then again you also were asked the same for Naomi, who really isn't that great of a character either.

That scene becomes hilarious when you realize Otacon is making mk3 do all those sad gestures and poo poo

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MinibarMatchman posted:

"snake and otacon executed" is the first I've heard about, though. I'd prefer that over the ridiculous Big Boss biomort resurrection plotdump for half an hour.

I think Kojima's original plan for MGS4 was to have Snake an Otacon do some nasty, terrorist-level poo poo, so the end of the game would have them both turn themselves in and they'd be executed.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Surlaw posted:

Phantom Pain has joyful dogs, angry men, and a campy mummy skeleton. It does not lack any emotion whatsoever.

Unfortunately the emotional heart of the series, Ocelot, sounds like he's on extra-strength NyQuil.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

RZApublican posted:

Unfortunately the emotional heart of the series, Ocelot, sounds like he's on extra-strength NyQuil.

Hypnosis makes you drowzy.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Kojima's original plan for MGS4 was to have Snake an Otacon do some nasty, terrorist-level poo poo, so the end of the game would have them both turn themselves in and they'd be executed.

The actual plot of MGS4 is nothing like that. Was there a huge story change mid production? I mean, they commissioned the song so I'm guessing they weren't just in the development phase. Obviously MGS4 is a monster of a game as far as content is concerned so I can't imagine changing things too much mid production.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Snak posted:

I just realized that's literally the mechanism through which they gave Venom all of Big Boss's memories. Because you've played the other games.

Yeah but also this was the plot of mgs2

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

The actual plot of MGS4 is nothing like that. Was there a huge story change mid production? I mean, they commissioned the song so I'm guessing they weren't just in the development phase. Obviously MGS4 is a monster of a game as far as content is concerned so I can't imagine changing things too much mid production.

I actually think most of the story was the same, they just ended up being shot at the end as scapegoats. What came between Kojima and his vision was the staff, actually. They didn't like it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm glad, because that's kind of dumb.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm glad, because that's kind of dumb.

A lot better than "We will live together forever happily and I will be your best friend and tell your story forever". Also dad cemetary hug.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Vic Boss posted:

A lot better than "We will live together forever happily and I will be your best friend and tell your story forever". Also dad cemetary hug.

Actually CQC hug was the best and it's a drat shame Venom can't do it to his soldiers.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Otacon and Snake being bros and living together happily is the true canon ending to metal gear. :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vic Boss posted:

Snake and Otacon voluntarily submitted themselves to execution after saving the world would have been really stupid. Big Boss's neverending speech was not great but Snake getting to live out his last months a free man with Cipher/Outer Heaven/The Patriots put to bed forever was a really nice bittersweet ending for the character. Kojima just really could have done with a competent editor for MGS4 ...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Err, what exactly did Snake and Otacon do in MGS4 worthy of execution? Scapegoats for what Liquid did? Why do they need a scapegoat in the first place? Its not like Operation Snake Eater.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
In my march to clear all side objectives and S rank every mission last week, I cleared both 49 and 50 on the first try with all objectives and all side objectives. :woop:

I told my wife and my cats and they dont care

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Shaocaholica posted:

Err, what exactly did Snake and Otacon do in MGS4 worthy of execution? Scapegoats for what Liquid did? Why do they need a scapegoat in the first place? Its not like Operation Snake Eater.

They didn't do anything worthy of execution, because the story was changed.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
assault on the elderly

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MinibarMatchman posted:

read a neogaf thread about how "mgsv is the worst mgs ever" and now I think I contracted eyeball cancer

then again this may have started at "read a neogaf thread"

Personally I do think MGSV is the worst Metal Gear Solid game ever. But only because all the other games are so good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shaocaholica posted:

I always assumed they were ruffling a lot of feathers while doing their Philanthropy shtick.

edit: Quote is not edit, drat it

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
If you removed the bit about Sunny altering the FOXALIVE virus to spare infrastructure, MGS4's ending is a Tracer Tong ending. The implosion of society might be worth executing people over.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shaocaholica posted:

Treason is an executable offense, which they were arguably already guilty of by the start of MGS2.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's kind of hosed up to realize solid snake was kind of used by the Patriots in MGS, MGS2, AND MGS4 so essentially all he accomplished was loving up the plans of Ocelot, the real hero who desperately tried to break the ties from the Patriots.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's kind of hosed up to realize solid snake was kind of used by the Patriots in MGS, MGS2, AND MGS4 so essentially all he accomplished was loving up the plans of Ocelot, the real hero who desperately tried to break the ties from the Patriots.

Ocelot was just trying to build Outer Heaven 12.0, if he's have got his way it'd be straight back to 'another day in a war without end' forever. The real heroes I think(?) were Sunny and Maomi who developed FOXALIVE, Snake as always served as a delivery mechanism, which is still pretty significant as there's no way MG mk.2 could have made it onto Arsenal Gear by itself

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Ocelot was just trying to build Outer Heaven 12.0, if he's have got his way it'd be straight back to 'another day in a war without end' forever. The real heroes I think(?) were Sunny and Maomi who developed FOXALIVE, Snake as always served as a delivery mechanism, which is still pretty significant as there's no way MG mk.2 could have made it onto Arsenal Gear by itself

funnily enough this makes Snake more of a cypher than Cypher. Basically a delivery vector for Foxdie/Alive in both games, and was essentially your cooler double in MGS2. But of course we all know Solidus was the real hero.

Is there really any other explanation about Solidus other than "yeah we made a third one" because there was such a big deal made about Eli and David and the super baby bullshit, but then they go ahead and just make this other guy anyway with seemingly perfect genetic levels? If EVA was the birthmother for Solid and Liquid then what's the story about Solidus, all I really understand is that instead of sending him across the globe like David/Eli, he is kept close to the Patriots to the point where he's the President. Sure Solid gets entrusted with killing his rogue father and Liquid gets put into FOXHOUND but Solidus comes out of nowhere.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When was the fact that Solid is a clone of BB first mentioned? MGS1? When is it mentioned that Solid's given name is David? What about Eli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The 'clone' part was mentioned in MGS1 but him finding out that he was Big Boss's 'son' was retconned into MG1/2, he tells Meryl his real name at the end of the same game, and Eli isn't revealed until MGSV.

• Locked thread