Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

No wonder that little pigman ran away when it realized it was in 21st Century London in Aliens of London :ohdear:

"Don't challenge me, David Cameron. 'Cause I'm a completely new man. I could bring down your Government with a single word."
"You're the most remarkable man I've ever met. But I don't think you're quite capable of that."
"No, you're right. Not a single word...Just six."
"I don't think so."
"Six words."
"Stop it!"
"Six. *whispering* David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
don't fall for Cobi's japes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

don't fall for Cameon's dick

If only Babe had listened

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

You sound like all of my wife's friends...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

Let me just blow some dust off these labels? Hmmm.... Power of the Daleks? Well Daleks are so popular that there must be plenty of copies, I'll just throw this in the fire!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trin Tragula posted:

You Johnny Foreigner types probably all think we're joking, but we're not. Of course, it really hasn't been the same since they ditched the old balloon idents.

Magnificent.

I genuinely miss the closedown, there was something wonderfully parochial about it. Also, Ceefax. :britain:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CobiWann posted:

Oh, and apparently this is a Christmas thing in Scotland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV56DJO6pH4

Was this before or after Russel Brand was a thing?

There used to be those kinds of stuff when the Canadian networks went off the air. I think it was somewhere in the 90s that TV started to be all night, either showing old movies, tv shows or infomercials all night long.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

To me, it’s Black Christmas, The Ref, and this scratched up episode of Doctor Who I found in an old film can in my grandfather’s garage. The Feast of Seven or something?

I should give a name of a forum I lurk at. They have, over 2 threads, 6500 pages "discussing" the MEs. (It's really just 6500 pages of people calling each other names for believing/not believing the "Omni-rumor")

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I rewatched The Zygon Invasion and it still has those same structural/character problems I talked about before. This time around though the attempts to pay at least some lipservice to the idea that not all Zygons were terrorists was more obvious (there is a lot of early stuff about two distinct "broods" of Zygons, with the younger ones being "accused" of being the more radical element while the older are supposedly just happy to have a planet), as well as the actual acknowledgement of the concerns/issues that kicked off the "terrorist" actions in the first place. I still think the "inversion" is going to be something about ZISIS not being the real bad guys/trying to help humans/root out the REAL terrorists inside of UNIT or something along those lines.

But the Churchyard scene is still gobsmackingly terrible, the Doctor is far too passive for the bulk of the story, and splitting the story into three locations causes all kinds of weird pacing/timing issues - how did Kate get from London to New Mexico in the time it took Clara and Jac to get to her apartment? How long did she sit around in that office? Why is she (seemingly) there without backup (I have a feeling that will get resolved/revealed in the next episode)? How come the commander in Turmezistan doesn't get somebody else (herself included) to fire the bombs when the first operator refuses? Especially considering later in the story she does just that seemingly without issue? Why does she go alone with the Doctor to the back of the Church instead of having at least a couple of other soldiers with them? Why doesn't she collect the huge amount of intelligence present inside the Church when they get in there? How come the soldiers with Clara don't even make a move for their weapons when they find themselves outflanked by Zygons? Why is the UNIT base COMPLETELY empty when Zlara/Bonnie returns? Did Jac seriously let Zlara empty them out without leaving at least one soldier behind?

The split-format really affects the flow of the story, and as a result these little issues become more obvious to me where they might easily be ignored/missed in a story that moved at a good pace or involved strong dialogue (like in The Woman Who Lived, where the dialogue easily eclipsed any of the other issues) - perhaps the best moment in the entire episode outside of Jenna Coleman getting to enjoy playing a villain is the scene where the Doctor sits down on the plane for a chat with Osgood. Again, most of these issues would likely be less irritating to me if the Doctor wasn't so oddly passive or act in such strange ways - a lot of what happens does so because the script calls for it to happen, and so the characters get there in stitled, "unnatural" ways that don't seem organic. Like the excuse of taking the plane instead of the TARDIS, the Doctor's excuse is amusing but rather inappropriate given the stakes, and is only there because otherwise it is harder to get to the cliffhanger of the Doctor on the plane evidently about to get blown out of the sky. That seems to be a common issue for Peter Harness in the Who stories I've seen from him so far - he has interesting ideas and does some laudable things (like comparatively large female casts) but he doesn't quite seem to grasp how to make the story serve those ideas, and they end up sitting uncomfortably together not really gelling at all.

I still hope that Inversion recontextualizes part one enough to make it more palatable as part of the whole, but even if it does I think there is a good chance I'm going to remember this first part at least rather poorly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kilo147 posted:

Woah, what about The Feast of Steven? And on film? That was part of The Dalek's Master Plan, third season arc.

Arc? ARC?????

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Again, most of these issues would likely be less irritating to me if the Doctor wasn't so oddly passive or act in such strange ways - a lot of what happens does so because the script calls for it to happen, and so the characters get there in stitled, "unnatural" ways that don't seem organic.

I'd like to touch on this. My wife and I talked about this episode last night - she absolutely loved it, thought Kate was a great female character in going alone and getting poo poo done, and didn't see any ISIS/Migrant Crisis allegory until I pointed it out to her but did see a "the oppressed rising against the oppressors" motif ala Les Mis - but she's at the point where she's about to drop the show entirely and just let me and the kiddo watch it. And her main reason is that the Doctor has spent nearly this entire season as a passive observer whereas Clara has been the "Mary Sue" in getting everything done and being amazing.

I don't think he's been a passive observer - there have been times where he's not as active/running about as Ten and Eleven - but there has been a lot of talking and planning on his part. I don't know if I should chalk it up to Capaldi being a bit older than most actors who have played the Doctor, but has anyone else noticed a...lower energy or more detached Twelve this series?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't really seen that at all, in fact one complaint I recall reading (that I don't agree with) is that Capaldi has been playing the Doctor more like Smith this season!

He has been very active as a character this season I thought, up till this latest episode where he spent the middle third of the story essentially standing around watching other people do things (badly).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He's less bouncy/hyper/frothy than the previous two, but more intense. Nobody ever complained that Christopher Eccleston didn't have enough energy; it's just a different kind of energy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

I don't think he's been a passive observer - there have been times where he's not as active/running about as Ten and Eleven - but there has been a lot of talking and planning on his part. I don't know if I should chalk it up to Capaldi being a bit older than most actors who have played the Doctor, but has anyone else noticed a...lower energy or more detached Twelve this series?

Well isn't that how the series opened? The Doctor is melancholy (I typed "depressed" and it felt wrong) and writing his will?

Anyway, I like Capaldi's energy level. Before his casting had been announced I had been hoping for some grey hair in the tardis because we had just sat through two runs of boyish heartthrob Doctors. A bit of broodiness and introspection shapes the character differently and allows contrast with previous series. As it's an adventure show though, it still requires some protagonist activity, and that's falling to the companion. When it comes down to it, that's Doctor Who's real strength as a property - it has the built-in option of rebuilding it to freshen things up every few years, as to explore things from slightly different languages. No other show can do that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CobiWann posted:

And her main reason is that the Doctor has spent nearly this entire season as a passive observer whereas Clara has been the "Mary Sue" in getting everything done and being amazing.

That is a...weird complaint, especially as how this season has been much less kind to Clara than the last. She's really had very little to do this season: she was basically subservient to Missy in the two-parter; she ran a couple corridors in the underwater episodes; she didn't really do much in The Girl Who Died and she wasn't even in the next episode.

Now, Jenna Louise Coleman has had a pretty good season so far, but Clara? Not so much.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Echo of the original rumour or confirmation?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/06/doctor-who-episodes-halved-for-series-10-so-peter-capaldi-can-work-on-other-projects-5483696/

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

The Metro posted:

But don’t despair, there will be a Christmas special to make up for the reduced season.

They sure are spoiling us this year!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't believe for a moment that's the actual reason why.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

A lot of times in the old series the Doctor seemed to take a step back and observe more than get directly involved in the story. Capaldi's performance and the way he's written (this series in particular) is a step back to that type of Doctor. I dig it.

I like the church scene for that exact reason. The Doctor knows things are going to poo poo one way or another and that he can't really do anything about it.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 6, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

misadventurous posted:

A lot of times in the old series the Doctor seemed to take a step back and observe more than get directly involved in the story. Capaldi's performance and the way he's written (this series in particular) is a step back to that type of Doctor. I dig it.

I like the church scene for that exact reason. The Doctor knows things are going to poo poo one way or another and that he can't really do anything about it.

I liked the church scene, and basically everything else, a hell of a lot more upon rewatch. The soldiers still act kind of stupid, but the whole scene is so gloriously perverse that it works anyway. "Oh God, you're going to kill me" and "I forgive you" are amazingly cruel things to put into a show like this.

The second watch also does make it clear that they really take every opportunity they can to say that these Zygons are not all Zygons. I had totally forgotten the bit where the Truth or Consequences cop is talking about when the Zygons came to town and they discuss how lots of them were just shot and killed with no repercussions. Which is great, but it leads to another problem--have the courage to make the worst people be from your own country, Britain!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Oh man, he's directing episodes of Veep? I can't wait!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't believe for a moment that's the actual reason why.

Well, no-one knows more about how the production is made than you, so let's go with this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Capaldi and Moffat have denied the half-season rumors, full season set for 2016:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/nov/06/doctor-who-scheduling-pawn-bbc-peter-capaldi

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's when you go into a shopping centre or a supermarket and they're playing it over their PA for me.

Ditto! And it can't be off a compilation CD -- it's got to be some DJ spinning it deliberately. I didn't hear it at all in the wild last year, so Christmas never came for me :saddowns:

Got in plenty of Jona Lewie, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

Ditto! And it can't be off a compilation CD -- it's got to be some DJ spinning it deliberately. I didn't hear it at all in the wild last year, so Christmas never came for me :saddowns:

It isn't Christmas until Noddy Holder tells you that "IIIIIIIIT'S CHRIIIIIIISTMAAAAAAAAAS!" I suppose.

quote:

Got in plenty of Jona Lewie, though.

"Stop the Cavalry" is such a weird song. It wasn't really meant to be a Christmas song but sort of lucked into it. Sort of like "Stay Another Day" by East 17, which was a boy band ballad, or even "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, that have become perennial festive favourites by virtue of having come out at Christmas. In the case of the East 17 song, they only added the bells at the end when the producer mentioned it would be out near Christmas and they might as well try to cash in.

I think my favourite Christmas pop song might actually be the Boney M. version of "Mary's Boy Child".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently that Lego thing has a lot of neat little details put into it. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God 8's shoes fit perfectly :neckbeard:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh my god, Seven is playing spoons. :allears::3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Whomsoever can avatar this will have my deepest thanks. And a jelly baby.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 7, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CobiWann posted:

Whomsoever can avatar this will have my deepest thanks. And a jelly baby.

Will this work?

[e]: From what's been posted online, there is a metric ton of stuff in that Lego Who; the TARDIS interior changes depending on which Doctor is being used complete with appropriate theme music playing also (though only 12 gets any new dialog as the Doctor - the rest is archive), Missy appears, Bessie :allears:, Autons, Strax, Vastra, Captain Jack, Ood, Zygons (with the mission being titled - I poo poo you not - Let Zygons be Zygons :rolleyes:), and with most voiced by their actual actors and having new dialog.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 7, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

echoplex posted:

Well, no-one knows more about how the production is made than you, so let's go with this.

:iceburn:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pesky Splinter posted:

Apparently that Lego thing has a lot of neat little details put into it. :allears:

7 has sand shoes on!

God drat I hate how every time I see more about Lego Dimensions the more I want it. But I don't want to spend 100bux for the base game and then 30 more for the Doctor Who and any other sets I want.

Too bad it doesn't have the War Doctor. Or does it?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It does.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

twistedmentat posted:

God drat I hate how every time I see more about Lego Dimensions the more I want it. But I don't want to spend 100bux for the base game and then 30 more for the Doctor Who and any other sets I want.

Too bad it doesn't have the War Doctor. Or does it?

Yeah, that's what's keeping me away from it; had it been a stand-alone thing like Lego Star Wars or whatever, yeah...but not as an expensive add-on pack for an already expensive game.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm holding out hope that theDW expansion will be so popular that they release a full on stand alone game down the line.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'm holding out hope that theDW expansion will be so popular that they release a full on stand alone game down the line.

same. Bring in the folks to do new voicework (loads of it!) and all that fun stuff. Go whole hog.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

same. Bring in the folks to do new voicework (loads of it!) and all that fun stuff. Go whole hog.

If you go back to last year I suggested multiple games. Doctors 1-3 in one game using audio from episodes. Doctors 4-7 in another game with a mix of new and old. ANd a revival game with 8-12 with a mix of old and new. And then a HUGE game mixing everything together of course.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Jerusalem, I'm always looking forward to your posts with episode gifs.

But I have a small request: could you put those for the following episodes in imgur galleries so I can more easily share them with non-SA friends? TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey Jerusalem, I'm always looking forward to your posts with episode gifs.

But I have a small request: could you put those for the following episodes in imgur galleries so I can more easily share them with non-SA friends? TIA.

If you go to my first post in the thread, at the bottom beneath the links to episode write-ups are album links for each individual Doctor. Hope that helps. :)

• Locked thread