Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

How do you even design a game like that and not have the crossroads cards and secret goals be character specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cenotaph posted:

How do you even design a game like that and not have the crossroads cards and secret goals be character specific?

By being bad at game design.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Jedit posted:

By being bad at game design.

Jedit's legendary reading comprehension at work.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Played Trias, Lost Cities, and Balloon Cup with the wife tonight. I have owned all these games for at least a decade but hadn't broken anything out to play in a bit. Trias is still obtuse as hell. It seems like it could almost be fun but 2 players is not enough to really create any conflict. Also the rules are written like poo poo and make learning the game much harder than it needs to be.

Lost Cities and Balloon Cup are both really fun 2 player games. I think I prefer Lost Cities but I enjoy both games quite a bit and they are probably my most played 2 player games.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Played Tokaido for the first time ever tonight. We played traditional Japanese music and drank Japanese green tea. It was the most soothing board game experience ever.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

elgarbo posted:

Played Tokaido for the first time ever tonight. We played traditional Japanese music and drank Japanese green tea. It was the most soothing board game experience ever.

That sounds cool. I just got Evolution for my birthday, maybe we'll put on the Jurassic Park soundtrack and snack on ferns.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Tokaido is one of my go-to games to introduce people to boardgames. The board is beautiful, the art is nice and the simple idea of the game is wonderfully different from Monopoly.

"You're tourists walking the road from Edo to Kyoto. You win points by watching vistas, eating good food and collecting souvenirs. The winner is the one who has a better time" has to be the best pitch ever made on boardgame history.

Pity the only strategy is "walk the least amount of spaces possible each turn". Does the expansion fix it?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fat Samurai posted:

Tokaido is one of my go-to games to introduce people to boardgames. The board is beautiful, the art is nice and the simple idea of the game is wonderfully different from Monopoly.

"You're tourists walking the road from Edo to Kyoto. You win points by watching vistas, eating good food and collecting souvenirs. The winner is the one who has a better time" has to be the best pitch ever made on boardgame history.

Pity the only strategy is "walk the least amount of spaces possible each turn". Does the expansion fix it?

Sounds cool. I am in Japan and looking to get more folks together to play boardgames. I might have to see about picking this up to use as an introduction.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Electric Hobo posted:

Going to play Argent tomorrow, 5 players, all new. Any rules I should stress or that are commonly missed?
The mage draft looks like a really good way for a bunch of new players to lose the game before it even starts. I remember reading a variant in here a while ago. Something like 'everybody get one of each wizard'. Anybody remember that?

IIRC shadowing mages lose their special abilities and cannot be targeted by spells unless the spell says it targets shadowing mages.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Fat Samurai posted:

I thought it was "walk the least amount of spaces possible each turn while also trying to keep your opponents from taking the spots that will help them the most, taking into account that they are doing the same". This creates a sort of next-level thinking feedback loop.

Mind you I could be way off here as I haven't played the game, I gathered this from watching TableTop *cue people raging about using TT as a source of information on boardgames*

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

theroachman posted:

I thought it was "walk the least amount of spaces possible each turn while also trying to keep your opponents from taking the spots that will help them the most, taking into account that they are doing the same". This creates a sort of next-level thinking feedback loop.

Mind you I could be way off here as I haven't played the game, I gathered this from watching TableTop *cue people raging about using TT as a source of information on boardgames*

No, you're right, that is the actual strategy. Walk as little as possible, unless you can either 1) get to a thing you really need, and it would suck to get blocked, or 2) block somebody from something they really need. The more players you have, the less choice you will have for either.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homullus posted:

No, you're right, that is the actual strategy. Walk as little as possible, unless you can either 1) get to a thing you really need, and it would suck to get blocked, or 2) block somebody from something they really need. The more players you have, the less choice you will have for either.

Yeah, that's my problem with Tokaido. It's alright, but at the end of the day you don't have a lot of choices to make.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The crossroads cards are the redeeming feature of dead of winter. It's a drat shame that so many include a so nothing option though.

Hopefully something else will rip off the mechanic

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is the Terry Pratchett The Witches game good?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Quoting myself from a few pages ago, in case anyone has some input.

Ryoshi posted:

Hey I grabbed the MtG Arena of the Planeswalkers game for $30 because it comes with 35 minis that I can use as stand ins for other stuff....but is the game itself any good? I played it once as a 2p game but I'm not sure we got the rules right, there's costs on cards but it didn't seem to matter outside of building your forces. The pro strategy seemed to be an obvious one: pick your Planeswalker for your first several turns and summon strong guys as far ahead of you as you can before you move behind them. Then when you have 3x of something that hits hard and has decent mobility (like Jace's four armed things that move through figs and can't be base locked) select that army, rush the opposing planeswalker, and paste them with all three attacks.

That...can't be right, can it? I mean WotC's Magic branch is psychotic about game balance and depth...

As a random aside, my go-to "simple game for parties and older relatives" has now become Snake Oil. It's really a blast if the players put any effort into their pitches.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ETB posted:

I'll take Nippon off your hands if you ever want to sell, Lorini.

PM sent.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Boz0r posted:

I've only played it once, but I didn't think so; there seemed to be too big a gap between the big and small problems, the Power of Three cards seemed like a trap option, and it was really uninteractive. I think the only meaningful thing you can do with other players is have tea. And there were lots of dice.

Board is very pretty though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boz0r posted:

It's not as good as Ankh-Morpork and it's probably the weakest Wallace game I own, but it's playable. It's semi-cooperative in the same way that Archipelago is (except nobody's trying to lose), and a little more interactive than House Louse says in that only one person can score for solving a problem so you can gazump your opponents. However, you can't do everything yourself so if you screw the other players over too much you risk ending the game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Boz0r posted:

If you like Disk World, no.

If you LOVE Disk World, it's OK.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Any games with similar aesthetics that are great?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Cardhaus has shown 1 in stock Codenames for the last 18 hours. I'm wondering if the sites says that because they want to restrict it to 1 copy per order?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Boz0r posted:

Any games with similar aesthetics that are great?

Broom Service maybe? It's based on the terrific game Witches Brew.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2015

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

canyoneer posted:

Cardhaus has shown 1 in stock Codenames for the last 18 hours. I'm wondering if the sites says that because they want to restrict it to 1 copy per order?

Yeah, both times I ordered it from Cardhaus it said they had 1 in stock.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

canyoneer posted:

It's restricted.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
A slightly alternate view of Dead of Winter's traitor mechanic. I've only played the game twice, and the 2nd time nobody was a traitor. The 1st time though, I was a traitor and it worked just about perfectly. It came down to the last turn, I barely got through it, and the win/deception ended up being an ongoing topic/joke. Not many single games I've played have left that kind of impression.

But despite that, I agree with basically all the things everyone else said. The "roll dice and die" mechanic is just frustrating. The hidden goals don't always work very well, and balance on a player by player basis is all over the place.

I think the problem with the Crossroads cards is not that the other option is "do nothing", because both of those options have weight. Since the "do something" option almost always has a negative side, it's a choice of getting something but dealing with a problem, or getting nothing and having to figure out how you'll deal with your needs on your own. The issue is that unless you need the positive thing for a specific goal (hidden or otherwise), there's never a reason to do it. In my experience, the basic gameplay provided enough resources that we didn't need to use Crossroads unless it gave us something vital to the quest, which was rare and completely based on luck.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

A slightly alternate view of Dead of Winter's traitor mechanic. I've only played the game twice, and the 2nd time nobody was a traitor. The 1st time though, I was a traitor and it worked just about perfectly. It came down to the last turn, I barely got through it, and the win/deception ended up being an ongoing topic/joke. Not many single games I've played have left that kind of impression.
I'll bite. What did you do, traitor wise, in that game, and what did the other players missed on your play that could have given them a clue to single you out as the traitor?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Fat Samurai posted:

I'll bite. What did you do, traitor wise, in that game, and what did the other players missed on your play that could have given them a clue to single you out as the traitor?

It was about a year ago so I don't remember exact turns. I know my goal was to set up one location full of barricades so as to "separate" from the main group and start my own group, or something along those lines. I also needed a certain number of goods. Mostly it was trying my best to convince people to barricade certain locations or keep a location well barricaded. Towards the end I had to give a reason to go to a separate location that did not make strategic sense, which mostly tipped them off, but I played it off as if I had a card that would make the move make sense (I think..again this was a while ago).

As far as what happened on specific turns and what exactly they may have seen, I just don't remember. It very well could have been "lucky" that it worked out as well as it did and we had as good of a time with it. And I was able to hold out until the last 2 turns for most of my more traitorous actions, which helped hide my intentions. Other traitor roles may not be as easy to hide.

The rest of the game is meh in a lot of ways but in my very limited experience the traitor mechanic worked well.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
In my limited experience the traitor mechanic was one guy waiting until the last turn or two, dropping a dozen characters on the board, and spending 15 minutes using his actions to fulfill his objectives. It was not great.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Poopy Palpy posted:

In my limited experience the traitor mechanic was one guy waiting until the last turn or two, dropping a dozen characters on the board, and spending 15 minutes using his actions to fulfill his objectives. It was not great.

That is not at all my experience, but again, I only saw one role, and none of that would have been possible. I actually don't think anything I could have done would have taken longer than any other turn.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Tonight, I saw a grown woman walk into a game store and buy a copy of Talisman at MSRP. What is going on?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Cougar looking to entice young foolish men.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

medchem posted:

Tonight, I saw a grown woman walk into a game store and buy a copy of Talisman at MSRP. What is going on?

I told someone not to buy Betrayal at the House of the Hill.
They're buying Talisman instead. :(

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Has anybody tried the newest edition of Fury of Dracula yet? Never played any kind of hidden movement type game like this so this'll be a new experience for me at very least!

I like it better than 2nd edition by a lot

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

You are history's greatest monster.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Is that worse, or a certain uncle giving their nephew his Munchkins collection?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ETB posted:

Are they teenagers? If so, they're supposed to gently caress up. If not, you're a monster.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Cougar looking to entice young foolish men.

:wiggle:
Hey baby I like the way your D6 roll

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Good call, that's the longer term investment. You did the lords work!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ETB posted:

Umm are we supposed to hate Munchkin? I actually like to play it with my wife and son.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Umm are we supposed to hate Munchkin? I actually like to play it with my wife and son.

Well, how young is your son? There is a place for board games with Candyland levels of depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

unpronounceable posted:

Are they teenagers? If so, they're supposed to gently caress up. If not, you're a monster.

I was referring to a different goon. :v: