Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Yeah it's a SaskTel student plan. Definitely switching to Koodo before we move though, I love SaskTel but I think using more than 50% of the data in a month outside of the province gets you cut off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Godinster posted:

Yeah it's a SaskTel student plan. Definitely switching to Koodo before we move though, I love SaskTel but I think using more than 50% of the data in a month outside of the province gets you cut off

A lot of us here are on the SKMB plan which is like $57 tax-in for 5GB and unlimited everything

I've never even lived in SK or MB. I mean, I passed through them. I went to a Holiday Inn Express in Regina, the cheapest room they offered me and my lady was like $120/night. I was like jeez they get away with charging this much on a weekday in Regina? Turns out their 'cheapest room' that night was a gigantic suite that was easily 800sqft and had a kitchen and everything. SK is fun. Also why do all your hotels have water slides? Here we advertise free wifi and breakfast, there it's all waterslides in big neon letters.

But yeah, get on that plan. It's legit. I've had to call in to Koodo a few times and no one gives me poo poo for it, but YMMV.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is there any chance of adding a device and subsidy to the SK Koodo plan or is that pushing it a bit far?

I only ask as my work pays for my phone anyways :D

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I assume it was just as easy as go get on cheap Koodo ontario plan, wait to switch to sk # online, switch to sk #, switch plan, then port in original # later?

I'm gonna get my SO to sign up for it since I don't have a SIN or anything yet.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Is there any chance of adding a device and subsidy to the SK Koodo plan or is that pushing it a bit far?

Koodo has the 'tab'. You can go look at their site but basically if you get a phone from them, you choose how much of it you wanna pay for, then the rest gets added to your 'tab' and you pay it down every month. If you leave you have to close up your balance. If you keep paying the 'tab' even when you're in the positives, you can use that as a 'subsidy' towards a new phone.

I did BYOD so I don't have anything on my tab but yeah you can do that with Koodo. Just that if youre on SKMB outside of SKMB, interactions with CSRs is a bit risky, I haven't had problems so far but other people online have said people have tried to pressure them into other plans.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

Koodo has the 'tab'. You can go look at their site but basically if you get a phone from them, you choose how much of it you wanna pay for, then the rest gets added to your 'tab' and you pay it down every month. If you leave you have to close up your balance. If you keep paying the 'tab' even when you're in the positives, you can use that as a 'subsidy' towards a new phone.

I did BYOD so I don't have anything on my tab but yeah you can do that with Koodo. Just that if youre on SKMB outside of SKMB, interactions with CSRs is a bit risky, I haven't had problems so far but other people online have said people have tried to pressure them into other plans.

I'm specifically wondering if they'll let me start a tab while keeping this plan. Your point about the risk is well made though.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I'm specifically wondering if they'll let me start a tab while keeping this plan. Your point about the risk is well made though.

They accidentally activated me on the tab when I started my account even though I did BYOD. I called them and it was no problem to get off of it. I think if you want to start a tab, you can order a phone online without talking to anyone at all.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Koodo does weird poo poo with their subsidies though like limiting what colour of iPhone you can get. (Space Grey only) Used to be you could only get the lowest storage possible, although now they seem to have 16gb/64gb. I'd rather just buy the phone outright and get the BYOD discount.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rogers does that too. Only silver 32 gig for the Nexus 6P.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Never mind the lovely customer service, ludicrously high pricing, obnoxious marketing... It's the nickel and diming that stings the most.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/02/telus-raising-sim-card-prices-to-15-each/

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Where can I buy an unlocked android phone in Canada? I have an AT&T sim I would like to put in an extra phone and literally nowhere I've checked will sell me a phone without cellular service. Not even my carrier will sell me one. Ideally, it'd be something cheap but useable like the Moto G.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Walmart sells unlocked Moto Es straight up for $180.

Moto G 2nd Gen for $250ish too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: nm can't read

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
Staples will also sell unlocked phones. No carrier will sell unlocked phones, because all Canadian carriers are the worst.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
If you live in a city that has a Memory Express, they sell Zenfone 2 unlocked.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I'm stuck with Rogers in Northern Ontario, and I've been so frustrated with them.

Looking to move to Toronto in about a year.

Who should I switch to when I get there?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

virinvictus posted:

I'm stuck with Rogers in Northern Ontario, and I've been so frustrated with them.

Looking to move to Toronto in about a year.

Who should I switch to when I get there?

Take a trip to Winnipeg, get on the Koodo SKMB plan, come hang with the cool kids.

Otherwise in Toronto I used to get the most reliable signal with Rogers actually. My father's always had Bell and had nothing but issues, but their network is better now, prices still suck though.

Wind is terrible but if you only care about paying the least amount of money, they're serviceable. You'll need an AWS phone.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
What's the cheapest option to purchase a moto g 2015? I went to Best Buy Mobile and Virgin had one for $200 outright, can I purchase it in store for that price and unlocking it without signing up for any plans?

I'm thinking purchasing one to jump on the 90 day public mobile plan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most likely you wouldn't be able to buy the phone without getting at least a 1 month plan, and then would have to unlock it. You can save some cash on the unlock since 3rd party websites can usually do Android phones for like $10 instead of the $50 the carriers charge though.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Im currently with Koodo on a super cheap $25 a month plan and pay as you go data, and its been perfectly fine with me.

However, I signed up about 2 years ago before the big CRTC law change so Im not up to date on the significance of that. Technically I got a Samsung SIIX from them under their Tab and its still being paid off automatically.

Im interested in getting a new phone because as you can imagine my samsung SIIX is horribly outdated and a bad phone. What are some of the best unlocked phone options if I want to keep my Koodo plan but just put it on a new phone? Its just hard to navigate any recommendations threads or google because its all so American specific, and I havent hunted for phones since 2012 so I do not know what the current state of the market.

Im looking for another android phone, maybe buying it used? Is there any good advice on buying used phones here?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Melian Dialogue posted:

Im currently with Koodo on a super cheap $25 a month plan and pay as you go data, and its been perfectly fine with me.

However, I signed up about 2 years ago before the big CRTC law change so Im not up to date on the significance of that. Technically I got a Samsung SIIX from them under their Tab and its still being paid off automatically.

Im interested in getting a new phone because as you can imagine my samsung SIIX is horribly outdated and a bad phone. What are some of the best unlocked phone options if I want to keep my Koodo plan but just put it on a new phone? Its just hard to navigate any recommendations threads or google because its all so American specific, and I havent hunted for phones since 2012 so I do not know what the current state of the market.

Im looking for another android phone, maybe buying it used? Is there any good advice on buying used phones here?

If you're going to buy used go to a corporate carrier store and make sure that the phone isn't reported stolen/blacklisted etc.

As for your current phone CRTC ruling says that the phone is paid off in two years regardless of when the Tab was started.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best unlocked options are Nexus phones but the Canadian dollar has taken a bit of their value for Canadians.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't really care about minor software updates but it's a little concerning that I still haven't received a 6.0 update on my Nexus 6 (Google store bought, Rogers carrier) like 20 days later. Does Rogers control this?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Reverse Centaur posted:

I don't really care about minor software updates but it's a little concerning that I still haven't received a 6.0 update on my Nexus 6 (Google store bought, Rogers carrier) like 20 days later. Does Rogers control this?

Back when I had a Nexus S from Rogers I was able to download the updates on my PC and install them on the phone manually. I can't remember exactly how, but I'm sure a quick internet search will turn up some directions.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Got unlimited canada wide shareplan with two lines and 5gb from rogers for $115 month to month. We own the phones. $10 off. Meh.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Anyone done a device reservation on Rogers lately? It supposedly goes to "processing" right before it's sent but the 6P is supposed to be available on the 4th (ie mere hours) and no one's is changing. Total lack of communication from Rogers communications.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ended up just switching to Bell since a store manager friend hooked me up with a great deal. Typing this on a 6p. Now I can finally experience other lovely service beyond Rogers!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't Bell and Rogers use the same towers most places or something?

(You'll still get the other kind of lovely service though!)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I meant customer service. Signal seems good on both - I'm right next to downtown Vancouver so it better be.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Bell and Telus share towers. I don't think they share with Rogers.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

spoof posted:

Bell and Telus share towers. I don't think they share with Rogers.

With extended roaming (not sure if only Rogers offer that) you can roam onto any of the big three.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Who does Bell use in America? Like a typical Vancouverite I never leave go east of Burnaby in Canada.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
When they say they share towers, someone owns the tower and the other provider has a deal where they can put their own equipment on that same tower, so the signal won't always be the same from providers on the same tower.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Bell service is solid but call quality is noticeably more muffled than Rogers, at least while calling my wife. We both switched phones though so I don't know if it's the carrier or the phones.

Anyone else gone from Bell to Rogers or vice versa and noticed this?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

DariusLikewise posted:

When they say they share towers, someone owns the tower and the other provider has a deal where they can put their own equipment on that same tower, so the signal won't always be the same from providers on the same tower.
No it's legit combined into the same equipment (bell/telus)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where's a good place to order micro USB cables that aren't worthless garbage? I only want a couple but the shipping is more than the cables on MP not to mention everything in USD.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Millstone posted:

No it's legit combined into the same equipment (bell/telus)

Bell/TELUS are sharing the hardware for their HSPA network as it was the quickest way to start selling ~iPhones~ but I think for LTE they're just tower sharing with separate hardware.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

Where's a good place to order micro USB cables that aren't worthless garbage? I only want a couple but the shipping is more than the cables on MP not to mention everything in USD.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...rnid=2404990011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've never used it myself but I've seen infinitecables.com recommended.

There's also primecables.com which if you're in Montreal lets you pick up your order for free from a metro station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.monoprice.com