Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
TNF Denali is one of the worst performing fleece jackets among its competitors. It is one of the most popular expensive fleece jackets in the world. Still, you'll see thousands of reviews because it keeps a suburbanite warm while he rakes leaves or is fashionable at some large northern public university. So, there you go.

Thirding the 45L pack as something that could carry you for an entire vacation without doing laundry. Just gotta think about your clothing. Patagonia is nice in that they will back anything they make, as will Osprey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Saw this thing in a store today, it looks... ok.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Look more comfortable than most office shoes. The only problem is if you take it hiking it's going to get torn up and look like poo poo for the office. Be great for missionary types.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In store the sole is really rigid so I don't think it'd be terribly comfortable, but I think it's as close to an everything shoe as I've seen. I wish the sole weren't as thick as it was, the mid padding stuff really doesn't seem necesscary.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Man, drawstring bags are the poo poo when it comes to traveling with electronics. I always carry two spare USB charging cables, one spare (tiny) usb wall adapter and a three way adapter (someone is always already charging their laptop on the only wall socket) and whatever else.

When I bought some sheets a while back, they came folded up in this drawstring bag which is maybe big enough to hold a cantaloupe. I just toss all my weird electronic poo poo in there, and then toss it in the bottom of my main storage compartment, and I can find it later. Like a shave kit bag for all your electronic poo poo. I loving love it, it's changed my life.

Midjack posted:

I've been using a gallon ziplock bag for miscellaneous cables, chargers, and batteries for several years. Makes airports easy, just pull it and my bag no longer looks like a nuclear device on x-ray.

What you guys really want is one of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=grid+it. Super useful, I've got two.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What you guys really want is one of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=grid+it. Super useful, I've got two.

We have some at work. A lot of people swear by them but I always end up with smashed connectors or things getting snagged when I pull it out of the bag.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My need for cable organizers has great decreased as pretty much everything has standardized to using a usb to micro-usb cable. At this point most trips the only cables I have are my laptop power and one or two micro usb cables. Much cleaner than it was a couple years ago when everything had proprietary cabling.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I only carry about 3 micro usb cables, but typically I have 2x dual USB chargers (one is a backup), plus my world power adapter, plus laptop power supply, large external USB battery, small external USB battery (backup). All that stuff just goes in the bag. And a 3-way US plug T adapter so I can charge laptop and phone and external battery all off the same plug at the airport/hostel/etc. Oh and a USB rechargable flashlight for digging around in my pack at night in the hostel. It's actually a bicycle headlight called a Lenzyne Micro Drive but it's the perfect travel flashlight being about the size of a case of lipstick but also not being chinese garbage. All that goes in a sack about 6x6x3"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

And a 3-way US plug T adapter so I can charge laptop and phone and external battery all off the same plug at the airport/hostel/etc.

This is also really handy for plugging in at an airport or coffee shop; if someone is already plugged in ask if you can interrupt them for a second to now you're sharing an already-in-use outlet. Make sure your US adapter can handle 220 if you do this, though.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Looking to refresh my travel pants. I have two pairs of REI Adventure pants and they're getting pretty shabby after 6 years of use. Mostly the issue is the pant losing the little shape it has, especially at the waist. I'll still wear them for hiking, but they're pretty shot for travel.

I'd like something sharper for travel. The poly stuff like the REI pants always have that slightly wrinkled look to it and the grain doesn't help. Is the best play to just find some wool dress pants I don't care about anymore or at the thrift shop and get them fitted?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Blinkman987 posted:

Looking to refresh my travel pants. I have two pairs of REI Adventure pants and they're getting pretty shabby after 6 years of use. Mostly the issue is the pant losing the little shape it has, especially at the waist. I'll still wear them for hiking, but they're pretty shot for travel.

I'd like something sharper for travel. The poly stuff like the REI pants always have that slightly wrinkled look to it and the grain doesn't help. Is the best play to just find some wool dress pants I don't care about anymore or at the thrift shop and get them fitted?
For travel purposes I would look for something with 4-way stretch - so much more comfortable than regular pants. I used to own the REI Adventures and switched to stretchy pants, and there's no way in hell I'm ever going back. For some reason the yoga brands have gotten into travel pants:

Prana Brion - This is the only one I have personal experience with. Quite comfortable and the fit is so much better than the REI pants.
Lululemon abc pant - Released fairly recently to positive reviews.

On the higher, dressier, more expensive, end, you could consider one of the technical fabric companies:

Outlier New OGs
Ministry of Supply Aviator 2 or Aviator Chinos

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

NoDamage posted:

Prana Brion - This is the only one I have personal experience with. Quite comfortable and the fit is so much better than the REI pants.

I got these a while ago from a rec in this thread and I can't say I'm too happy. Really bad piling after just a few washes, and with the wrong pair of underwear* they really show off your package.

They are super light and comfortable though, I'm wearing them right now (because I have no plans to leave the house this evening).

*or right pair, depending on what you're going for...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoDamage posted:

For some reason the yoga brands have gotten into travel pants:

You know the answer to this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've found there's some good chinos from skate/surf brands like Hurley, Kr3w, Volcom, etc. that are lightweight, don't wrinkle much, dry fast and look pretty good, I got a pair of Hurley Dri-fit ones on sale recently. My old go-to was golf pants, a lot of them are made with technical fabrics now. The only problem with both is branding, they can have pretty prominent logos. There's also Bluffworks and Outlier if you're ok with mail order [and $$$]. My new favorite pants [not just for travel] are Patagonia's Performance Straight Fit jeans, they have coolmax.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Khul makes some seriously awesome pants and jeans. Technical and more normal looking. Try them on because the sizing can be a bit weird but they really are great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Should I get a wheeled carry-on with a suiter? I would say most of my travel requires me to bring a suit or two (I wear 44R), but as I've never had luggage with a suiter, I don't know whether it's a better option than folding things myself.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
If you need to bring a suit, yes, I've found that's the best option.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Should I get a wheeled carry-on with a suiter? I would say most of my travel requires me to bring a suit or two (I wear 44R), but as I've never had luggage with a suiter, I don't know whether it's a better option than folding things myself.

I've never traveled with a suit, but I'm mouth-agape when people suggest rolling up suits and jamming them into carry-on backpacks or w/e life hacks people throw out there.

Thanks for the pant recommendations. Went to Lulu and tried on the ABC pant. Those have the look and finish I want, but at $130 I'm going to need to think on that for a while. It's also a humbling experience as they have no vanity sizing. No, no. I'm not a 33" waist unless I want to be shaped like a muffin. Definitely going to try the Khul and Patagonia jeans. I have to wait on the latter since no store around here carries them, so my only chance to try them on is if they're carried at the Patagonia store in LA.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got these a while ago from a rec in this thread and I can't say I'm too happy. Really bad piling after just a few washes, and with the wrong pair of underwear* they really show off your package.

They are super light and comfortable though, I'm wearing them right now (because I have no plans to leave the house this evening).

I can't remember if I suggested them or not, but if I did, sorry! I wear the Prana Zions all the time (basically the same thing I think) but beat them up a lot so some pilling doesn't surprise me. They're my favorite (only) bike pants and I wear them constantly. I bought them loose enough so the package isn't an issue but I could see how the fabric could make that a possibility.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Years ago (2009) I bought some "shaving oil" in lieu of shaving cream for travel purposes. Over a month of backpacking, it got everywhere. How do I clean my backpacking backpack? Dry cleaning? It has a semi rigid pad on the back that's not removable which would make it nearly impossible to put in a standard washer. Just hose it down in a big wash tub full of Tide?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Pretty much. Detergent and a bathtub with a poo poo load of hot water should get rid of most oils. Maybe not the stains but eh.

Also was the oil King of Shaves? I've used it before, yeah it works but it does feel weird and I guess it would go gangbusters if it leaked.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Saint Fu posted:

I can't remember if I suggested them or not, but if I did, sorry! I wear the Prana Zions all the time (basically the same thing I think) but beat them up a lot so some pilling doesn't surprise me. They're my favorite (only) bike pants and I wear them constantly. I bought them loose enough so the package isn't an issue but I could see how the fabric could make that a possibility.

I'm thinking of a pair of Zions for my go-to cycling legwear. I'm normally a 32" waist, so was thinking of their M size. Does that sound about right or looser could be better? What size did you go with?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I typically buy either 33 or 34 waist pants, not so much for the waist room but for the leg and butt room. I'm probably a 32" waist. I tried on the mediums at an REI and they fit well in the waist. The legs are kind of tight when sitting but they look like normal pants when standing. Plus they are stretchy so they don't feel constricting when sitting/biking. I'd say anyone normally in the 32" waist should be good with a M.

e: poo poo now I'm paranoid about giving out bum recommendations. Just so you know, the calf area is kind of loose so if you don't roll up your right leg, you'll get chain grease on it. That or use a velcro strap to keep that leg tight around your ankle. Actually there was a pretty lengthy discussion about biking pants in the bike commuting thread some time last year. You might want to ask there for second opinions.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 21, 2015

Slapstick
Apr 17, 2008

The Interweb Iz Seriouz Business.
So im thinking of getting the MEI Voyageur to go backpacking through Canada with. However I need a tiny bag preferably with snowboard straps for when I go snowboarding that could fit into the main backpack if needed. Anyone have recommendations?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Saint Fu posted:

I typically buy either 33 or 34 waist pants, not so much for the waist room but for the leg and butt room. I'm probably a 32" waist. I tried on the mediums at an REI and they fit well in the waist. The legs are kind of tight when sitting but they look like normal pants when standing. Plus they are stretchy so they don't feel constricting when sitting/biking. I'd say anyone normally in the 32" waist should be good with a M.

e: poo poo now I'm paranoid about giving out bum recommendations. Just so you know, the calf area is kind of loose so if you don't roll up your right leg, you'll get chain grease on it. That or use a velcro strap to keep that leg tight around your ankle. Actually there was a pretty lengthy discussion about biking pants in the bike commuting thread some time last year. You might want to ask there for second opinions.

Thanks. I was just assuming that the poppers should work perfectly to hold them up with. I ordered a pair of M on sale. If they don't work for cycling somehow then they'll be great for my off-the-bike time (considering I'm cycle touring there's plenty of that too).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I just wear my regular jeans nowadays. Havent gotten any nicer pants yet

Pompous Rhombus posted:

stop bragging about your junk :henget:

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Travel towels:

I've been backpacking in Asia for 3 days now and if there's one thing I did right it's picking the right travel towel.

For months leading up to this trip I tried loving everything. I've tried every towel option available and gently caress those rei travel towels that never actually get you dry.

Get yourself a yard of fine linen. Linen actually sucks the water right off your body like nothing else. It's as thin as a bedsheet and the towel power is almost unbelievable.

Nothing is going to be as convenient and nice as a normal cotton towel. So keep that in mind.

Linen is the way to go when it comes to drying off when backpack space is the #1 priority.

1C64 STRONG BLUE Softened from fabrics- store.com is what I purchased. 1 yard is plenty and for $15 you'll thank me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hell yeah. I bought a simple cotton sarong in Brazil at some point and I'm never going back. Can also use it for beach hanging out (doesn't collect sand), shade (built a sun sheer once), a light blanket on a bus and yeah, plain old cotton sheets dry super fast. Plus it doesn't carry dirt and poo poo or act like Velcro to sticks like travel towels.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just got these for New York and our upcoming el nino winter, I like them. They're super light and pretty springy inside.

Ecco Turn GTX Boot

I tried on the shoe version and they looked exactly the same as my dadly Merrells so I went with the boots for variety [and because the buff leather version is on sale right now]. There's also a slip-on if you're willing to go travel dad warp factor 9.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

NoDamage posted:

On the higher, dressier, more expensive, end, you could consider one of the technical fabric companies:

Outlier New OGs

I just picked up a pair of the Aviator Slim Fit Chinos, and they are comfortable as hell. I'm not sure about durability, but they're so comfortable that I don't care. I think they'll be one of the only 2 pair (or maybe the only pair if I go ultralight) that I take with me to SE Asia in December.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Traffic here is slow enough, so I will try to make a giant sticky about higher quality travel orientated clothing. If you guys find new stuff, just quote and append this post, thanks!

Sometimes I wish I'm in USA because I'm afraid of buying clothes online. I guess one smart way to deal with online retailers with free return shipping is just buy multiple fits of pants and return whatever. I'm an international delivery fees, overseas transaction does eat into my costs a bit :(

Shoes:

qirex posted:

Ecco Turn GTX Boot

I tried on the shoe version and they looked exactly the same as my dadly Merrells so I went with the boots for variety [and because the buff leather version is on sale right now]. There's also a slip-on if you're willing to go travel dad warp factor 9.

Pants

NoDamage posted:

For some reason the yoga brands have gotten into travel pants:

Lululemon abc pant - Released fairly recently to positive reviews.

Outlier New OGs

These guys seem pretty decent :Bluff works, they have relaxed fit and regular fit.

http://shop.bluffworks.com/

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 2, 2015

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

caberham posted:

Traffic here is slow enough, so I will try to make a giant sticky about higher quality travel orientated clothing. If you guys find new stuff, just quote and append this post, thanks!

Sometimes I wish I'm in USA because I'm afraid of buying clothes online. I guess one smart way to deal with online retailers with free return shipping is just buy multiple fits of pants and return whatever. I'm an international delivery fees, overseas transaction does eat into my costs a bit :(
Underwear:
Uniqlo Airism: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/airism/underwear.html
I like them a lot more than Exofficio boxer briefs for fit and feel. They perform the same for wicking and are cheaper.

Shoes:
-Ecco Turn GTX Boot

Pants:
-Prana Brion - This is the only one I have personal experience with. Quite comfortable and the fit is so much better than the REI pants.
-Lululemon abc pant - Released fairly recently to positive reviews.

-Outlier New OGs
-Ministry of Supply Aviator 2 or Aviator Chinos

-These guys seem pretty decent :Bluff works, they have relaxed fit and regular fit.

-Patagonia Performance Jeans - http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/mens-denim?k=1D-a2

.Z. fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 2, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Tried both Prana pants for men and I was surprised how sloppy and loose they were at the bottom. I was happy with them besides that.

Edit: Decided to pull the trigger on the ABC pant. Along with the pants came a 90 second presentation on how to exactly care for these pants with washing and drying 0_o. Still, these are exactly what I wanted. Note that people may have to size-up. As I mentioned earlier, these sizes have no chill. I'm a 33 in Levis, a 36 in Lulu. I had to size up both for the waist and the thigh.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 4, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Towel chat: I'm still rocking this REI camping towel. I've heard it called "shamwow", "shammie towel", "shammie" and a couple of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. It's really efficient at being a towel, but like you linen people pointed out, they still take forever to dry out fully. Generally it will dry in 30 min or less, but the problem arises when you try and squeeze in a shower before your departure, leaving you to pack the damp towel. REI sells the towel with a little zipper pouch that's mesh on one side but that's not enough unfortunately.

I think I got this one, 22 x 12.5" (56 x 32cm). They make two larger sizes but this one is about the size of a deck of playing cards when folded, and if you're a dude with normal length hair you don't need anything larger for drying purposes.

http://www.rei.com/product/832933/rei-multitowel-lite-medium-towel-22-x-125

The big problem I have with travel towels is that they don't have big enough loops attached. Shared bathrooms almost always have too few hooks, or the hook is located somewhere that all your stuff is going to get drenched, or stolen, or both. I've started packing a carabiner with me in my shaving kit to hold the shave kit, travel towel and whatever else on a single hook.

Side note, one time the hostel had free linens but you had to pay for towels by the day, on my last day there I just recycled my bedsheet for a towel, worked pretty well actually. Saved me a whole $2 whoo. That's like, 2-3 beers depending on what country you're in.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

caberham posted:

These guys seem pretty decent :Bluff works, they have relaxed fit and regular fit.

Yeah I forgot to include these guys, although I have heard the fabric is a little "plasticky" in texture, whatever that means. Outlier has also recently released a lightweight pant with thinner fabric called the Futureworks. Cheaper too.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
Those pants are ridiculously expensive. Just buy some Carhartt slim fit chinos and remove the label. They are made of a cotton/synthetic blend that doesn't look or feel plasticy and dries overnight.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

futurebot 2000 posted:

Those pants are ridiculously expensive. Just buy some Carhartt slim fit chinos and remove the label. They are made of a cotton/synthetic blend that doesn't look or feel plasticy and dries overnight.

Murder island

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

$130 pants and free shipping on $150 lol Carhartt don't give a gently caress.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

futurebot 2000 posted:

Carhartt is an expensive streetwear brand in Europe so don't remove the label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
Wow didn't know they were that expensive in the US. I got mine for like 50€

• Locked thread