Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Berious posted:

I used to like vadj and spoke with him on TS a lot. Didn't hear any racisms, was never in the inner direkkktorate sanctums though.

Clearly you never saw themadj.

(dumb ni:(ers. dumb ni:(ers everywhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

rip theadj, 2 good 4 this gay world

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

vyst posted:

Oh god Markov chain bots have found the newbies box

That's amazing

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

rip theadj, 2 good 4 this gay world

blops was fun when he was around and i got to do cool things thanks to him

yah blops had peak activity during theadj and lykouleon. I still like to rile lykouleon up on jabber on occasion re: where blops stands now.

edit: I will say I heard that theadj got dethroned by basically covering himself with gas and nailing himself to a cross after handing mittens a lighter. Which knowing him... yeah I can see him doing that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

yah blops had peak activity during theadj and lykouleon. I still like to rile lykouleon up on jabber on occasion re: where blops stands now.

edit: I will say I heard that theadj got dethroned by basically covering himself with gas and nailing himself to a cross after handing mittens a lighter. Which knowing him... yeah I can see him doing that.

I was under the impression that he quit in a blaze of anger, not that he was ousted.

In fact, everyone I've asked that was around at the time has been very insistent on the point that nobody kicked him, he left of his own free will. Usually the tone implies a making GBS threads fuckton of subtext surrounding the situation.

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
I got a nice Sin fit out in JU- waiting to be used. I'm currently just waiting to jump to some poor Ishtar/ VNI to get a stratios or pilgrim kill but I would prefer more engaging opportunities.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I got a nice Sin fit out in JU- waiting to be used. I'm currently just waiting to jump to some poor Ishtar/ VNI to get a stratios or pilgrim kill but I would prefer more engaging opportunities.

Shut up Bill.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Berious posted:

It's kind of sad how the eve community rises up to tell some writer dude to gently caress off because of space grudges. Not backing the project sure, but being rude to the dude who is doing something for your lovely community is lame. Eve players like to pat themselves on the back about how great the community is but that was some toxic poo poo.

He isn't doing it for the community. He's doing it for a 100k paycheck for like, 2 or 3 months of work.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CainFortea posted:

He isn't doing it for the community. He's doing it for a 100k paycheck for like, 2 or 3 months of work.

People aren't making GBS threads on the author, they're making GBS threads on The Mittani which is not getting a 100k paycheck.

There's a difference. Just read the AMA thread the author did.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

vyst posted:

People aren't making GBS threads on the author, they're making GBS threads on The Mittani which is not getting a 100k paycheck.

There's a difference. Just read the AMA thread the author did.

If you read my quoted text, you will see how dumb you are.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CainFortea posted:

Just :lol: if you think it will take only 2 or 3 months to read through all the :nexus: people will send him, make a fictional story that will make any sort of sense of that clusterfuck, write it, fact-check it and publish it.

But you are right about one thing. He's doing it for the money, not for the community. If he ~truly~ cared, he'd ask for a lot less cash. Some people live on minimum wage. He's an author, he deserves less than that for the right to be called an artist. :colbert:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Writing: a thing that is easy and goes quickly.

Source: Patrick Rothfuss.

(you're dumb hth)

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Dalael posted:

Just :lol: if you think it will take only 2 or 3 months to read through all the :nexus: people will send him, make a fictional story that will make any sort of sense of that clusterfuck, write it, fact-check it and publish it.

Just LOL if you think he's going to read through all the poo poo.

Also fact-checking a fictional story? :wtc:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

mpaarating posted:

Just LOL if you think he's going to read through all the poo poo.

Considering more than half of what he's going to receive will be complete utter crap, another 25% will be something along the lines of Grr Goon or Grr Mittani, you're probably right.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I still can't believe the guy answered my question completely unironically. :cripes:

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Dalael posted:

Considering more than half of what he's going to receive will be complete utter crap, another 25% will be something along the lines of Grr Goon or Grr Mittani, you're probably right.

Yup, the views and stuff coming in will be either horribly written or super dumb, so why not just ask the dudes at the top and maybe one or two people that they suggest to interview. It certainly speeds poo poo along.

Also I'm dumb for speculating about poo poo I have zero insight into. Back to work for me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

Writing: a thing that is easy and goes quickly.

Source: Patrick Rothfuss.

(you're dumb hth)

Source: I've worked in publishing and distribution for a while now. I didn't say it was easy, but there is no way in hell it takes a year for this book. Not even close.

Edit: Also lol if The Mittani Media is the publisher getting 30k for this deal. If so, I know some good publishers who will do it for 29k. And do a better job.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 6, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Source: I've worked in publishing and distribution for a while now. I didn't say it was easy, but there is no way in hell it takes a year for this book. Not even close.

Maybe he is the GRRM of the sci-fi universe and it takes him 3 months to write: "Dany shits in a field."

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
The author said he plays EVE Online now, so most of that kickstarter money will go to support the EVEBet habit he will develop.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

mpaarating posted:

Yup, the views and stuff coming in will be either horribly written or super dumb, so why not just ask the dudes at the top and maybe one or two people that they suggest to interview. It certainly speeds poo poo along.

This is unironically what will probably happen. Give the perception that everyone will be heard, only actually listen to the people that matter which is like <10.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Bigbillthaboss posted:

The author said he plays EVE Online now, so most of that kickstarter money will go to support the EVEBet habit he will develop.

I didn't know SUAS was writing it

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

vyst posted:

This is unironically what will probably happen. Give the perception that everyone will be heard, only actually listen to the people that matter which is like <10.

It's really the only thing that makes sense, otherwise you just get caught reading a bunch of people's terrible fanfic.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

mpaarating posted:

It's really the only thing that makes sense, otherwise you just get caught reading a bunch of people's terrible fanfic.

As opposed to what, reading a few peoples fanfics?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Well from the sounds of it, as far as major events go he basically is going by the Word From Above. Any major plot points are going to be explained and vetted by the mittens/grath/booda types, with recommendations to interview relevant subordinates as required. The grunt-level fanfic is for the "view from the bottom" stuff he's repeatedly mentioned he likes to write about, so that you get the "fleet command makes siegefleet targets" chapter, followed by the "joe goon flying a stealth bomber" chapter, followed by the "TEST members rat in delve" chapter :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I have no doubt he will be wading through a lot of that poo poo in order to have a broader perspective, select a few cool stories which he will include in the book, use most of what the ~relevant~ people say and then make some poo poo up.

It may end up being a good book. Who knows? :shrug:

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

As opposed to what, reading a few peoples fanfics?

Exactly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So long as the book has some theme of "success despite general incompetence," I'll be satisfied. That's the real tone of the Fountain war.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

vyst posted:

Well he wasn't wrong per se. Basically myself, Frabba, and him spent a majority of the time sniping directors that started getting too indignant or self-absorbed. It was a lot of fun, but theadj was unironically a racist so when we had that whole "cultural revolution" things got awkward.

"What'chu mean I can't say friend of the family, kyke and chink freely anymore?"

CommonShore posted:

So long as the book has some theme of "success despite general incompetence," I'll be satisfied. That's the real tone of the Fountain war.

Probably best to approach it as a work of fiction, and not a literal interpretation of what happened in Fountain- Although the lead up to Fountain in Delve would probably make a better story, loving with TEST's super secret google doc intel sheets, destroying their allies, PL and CFC tag teaming Sort & Friends, PL destroying station hugging rokhs with loving Talwars, utterly bankrupting TEST because Beffah allowed strategic reimbursement for everything in Delve before jumping ship to PL (and later becoming a reimbursement nerd for PL). Good times, Good times.

Don't forget that whole debacle where PL murdered the hell out of 16 CFC Supers because someone talked to Grath, who had no idea what was going on, and didn't think we'd drop them. I seriously love to hear the backstory behind the wall of tears that was posted on reddit.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 6, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ChickenWing posted:

the "joe goon flying a stealth bomber" chapter
How do you get an entire chapter out of "joe set an appropriate orbit, pressed F1, and then tabbed over to redtube" ?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Well from the sounds of it, as far as major events go he basically is going by the Word From Above. Any major plot points are going to be explained and vetted by the mittens/grath/booda types, with recommendations to interview relevant subordinates as required. The grunt-level fanfic is for the "view from the bottom" stuff he's repeatedly mentioned he likes to write about, so that you get the "fleet command makes siegefleet targets" chapter, followed by the "joe goon flying a stealth bomber" chapter, followed by the "TEST members rat in delve" chapter :v:

Grath said on Jeffraiders podcast that Beffah has a ton of stuff to say and is dying to tell it. That should give a decent look into the other side since she was pseudo high command and mildir for most of it.

The others being shitlords like BoodaBooda who's corp .DIX. has been leading that anti-book charge on le reddits. Probably to make sure his own incompetence never sees print.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

VictorKordes posted:

Grath said on Jeffraiders podcast that Beffah has a ton of stuff to say and is dying to tell it. That should give a decent look into the other side since she was pseudo high command and mildir for most of it.

The others being shitlords like BoodaBooda who's corp .DIX. has been leading that anti-book charge on le reddits. Probably to make sure his own incompetence never sees print.

I've been enjoying Booda calling for reddit admins to definitely check the eve reddit for vote brigading. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. It's a pretty well known fact that dix has an organized vote brigade that was active back in Black Legion and is 99% still active today. It's like Clay Davis calling for an anti-corruption taskforce, shiiiiiiit.

djent
Nov 28, 2013

It's metal to like clowns

vulvamancer posted:

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

is this what goon posting has become in the year of our lord 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Yeah he's doing it for a paycheck. But still the lovely dead gaem could still benefit a lot if people got over their reflexive grr goons.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Berious posted:

Yeah he's doing it for a paycheck. But still the lovely dead gaem could still benefit a lot if people got over their reflexive grr goons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog <--- You can't change people's nature.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

So what happens to everyone's money if they don't reach the goal?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Baba Ganoush posted:

So what happens to everyone's money if they don't reach the goal?

the same thing that happens to all failed kickstarters

the money gets refunded

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

the same thing that happens to all failed kickstarters

the money gets refunded

-technically- they don't even charge you until the end of the kickstarter.

So basically, if the kickstarter fails, nothing happens in all respects. Otherwise, they charge you at the date indicated and presumably Jeff starts working on the book the day after.

e: oh also https://www.themittani.com/news/jeff-edwards-hosts-reve-ama-about-fountain-war reddit ama transcript for those of you who are unwilling to deal with reddit

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
That seems anticlimactic...

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

djent posted:

is this what goon posting has become in the year of our lord 2015

Better than NaCl, salt, salty, rekt, tyrannosauraus rekt, dumpstered or feawen likes this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I'll probably pledge just to show support for the book idea. I guess, I think they're going to have trouble making the goal though.

• Locked thread