Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

MisterBibs posted:

Interesting, could you elaborate? Are we talking inherently unacceptable poo poo like Dazed/Dismounting sort of harassment, with no ability to bypass it? Are we talking roguelike "sometimes you're just screwed or forced into things you don't want" stuff? To use analogies from a game I liked in the genre (Freelancer), I don't mind the enemies there because basic dogfighting gets rid of them quickly.

Holy poo poo please buy this. I can't wait for the meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You can get interdicted by people in unpopulated space. It's pretty great when cops pull you over to make sure you're in compliance with the laws of the local, nonexistent population.

Not far outside the bubble though. As soon as you jump a couple hundred light years away from the borders of human space, a serene silence decends on you and your ship.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sard posted:

I've never done a combat bond CG before, how does the bonus pay work for these?

tl;dr: Pick up both CG missions, pop over to the nearby combat zone, and shoot mans for money. The bonds are worth money, and redeeming the bonds for money will also get you bonus money. The more money is redeemed in this fashion, the more bonus money is paid.

In this particular case, there is only one station in the system, so both warring factions are represented there. Fly to Adkins Port and pick up the CG mission(s) first. You may as well pick them both up - even though they're in opposition, they're not mutually exclusive. As per usual, you'll enter the CZ, pick a side, and shoot guys to accumulate Combat Bonds, payable by the side you picked. When you redeem the bonds for credits, at Adkins, the applicable CG mission will update to reflect the total value of Bonds you've submitted.

Each CG mission will show the total value of all bonds redeemed, for all players. As this global total increases , the 'Goal' advances on the progress track, visible as a chart in the mission details. As successive goal tiers are achieved by the community at large, the bonus payout for each participant increases. It's a sliding scale, so the higher a tier is achieved, the greater the bonus pay for each level of contribution. Just typing this out makes it sound more complicated than it really is.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Sothis still kinda pays in long haul trades - but you're more likely just to get a $1mil gig rather than stack several.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Do robigo instead. Made 40mil doing hauling missions from there the past two days.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Hopper posted:

Is there any resource where I can read up on how to gain faction standing with the empire. Or just how factions and missions are connected in general? I am a little overwhelmed and I basically need a manual.

It's actually really straightforward. Increase your reputation with minor Imperial factions by doing their missions. They have the Imperial eagle looking symbol next to them so you know they're the good ones. Every so often you will see a "Naval Ascension Opportunity" mission pop up. Do one of those and your rank will increase.

The number of missions required to rank up increases as you climb higher.

Some people were running around talking about diminishing returns and having to build rep with multiple minor factions but I'm pretty sure that got debunked. You just find a good place to do missions you like and grind the poo poo out of them.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

amazeballs posted:

Some people were running around talking about diminishing returns and having to build rep with multiple minor factions but I'm pretty sure that got debunked.

Can confirm as debunked.

The entire faction ranking thing is one big invisible xp bar, and doesn't care about anything except missions you've run for empire/fed factions. Some missions give more XP than others - donations the least, combat ones the most.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Chrysophylax posted:

Can confirm as debunked.

The entire faction ranking thing is one big invisible xp bar, and doesn't care about anything except missions you've run for empire/fed factions. Some missions give more XP than others - donations the least, combat ones the most.

It's actually possible to lose rep with a faction and still gain rank. I managed to get from allied to neutral with the empire at the same time as I got my baron rank by turning in two dozen or so "go kill cops" missions in a neighboring system (that was also controlled by the empire).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

amazeballs posted:

It's actually really straightforward. Increase your reputation with minor Imperial factions by doing their missions. They have the Imperial eagle looking symbol next to them so you know they're the good ones. Every so often you will see a "Naval Ascension Opportunity" mission pop up. Do one of those and your rank will increase.

The number of missions required to rank up increases as you climb higher.

Some people were running around talking about diminishing returns and having to build rep with multiple minor factions but I'm pretty sure that got debunked. You just find a good place to do missions you like and grind the poo poo out of them.

Ah thanks, this helps a bit. I want to get the 1st rank to buy an Imperial eagle, but I was confused because several minor factions have the same symbols (Imperial eagle, that globe). So whenever I do ANY mission with the eagle, my faction standing with the Emprie will rise ever so slightly? Because it always just showed my reputation with [minor faction] raised or whatever.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Oh lord. Picture a minigame every time a mob tries to daze+dismount you, and if you fail the minigame you can try and run away, but as soon as you re-mount you're probably going to have to do the same minigame again.

This is probably the best analogy of broken interdictions I've ever seen.

KiddieGrinder posted:

God I hope not, that poo poo sounds like Star Citizen levels of sperginess.

Virtual beverage serving mini-game next I presume? What reason would there be for players to walk around ships as relating to passengers? Other players are your passengers, so they get to sit in virtual seats and wait for the journey to end? In flight entertainment available? Socialize with your fellow passengers while on your intergalactic journey of discovery! :fuckoff:

edit: the only reason I can think of is that passengers was initially penned as an idea before the FTL drive was a thing (am I right?), and since journeys take mere minutes now, they have to come up with some sort of complicated gameplay mechanics for passengers to exist as anything other normal cargo with a different name.

You do realize that Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen had an extremely similar set of planned features right? These include the ability to walk around on and off of your ship and I don't see why they wouldn't tie transporting players around into the multi-crew and move-around-your-ship expansions. More info here.

It's not a complicated game mechanic for anyone but you.

I have a Cobra in Jotunheim, I don't want to refit my Vulture/FDL/Viper etc to jump down there or sell it and buy a more jump capable ship so I get player X over here to fly me down there. poo poo.. that's so hard to comprehend.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Holy poo poo please buy this. I can't wait for the meltdown.

Yes this.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No don't this thread doesn't need that

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

No don't this thread doesn't need that

Eh.. We've had our fair share of smaller melt downs over Power Play and the Background Sim already. One more contribution won't hurt too much.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I really don't want to hear diatribes about how the docking system is broken and how he shouldn't be forced to get a docking computer but also at the same time, the game should compensate for his complete lack of situational awareness and oh my god he couldn't even pass proving grounds silver in wow pleease noooooo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I really don't want to hear diatribes about how the docking system is broken and how he shouldn't be forced to get a docking computer but also at the same time, the game should compensate for his complete lack of situational awareness and oh my god he couldn't even pass proving grounds silver in wow pleease noooooo

Please yes :getin:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Best way to look at faction rank is a long term progression thing. You're not going to grind a clipper in an evening and you'll burn out if you try.

(This is why Elite needs stuff to work towards other than bigger ships)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I hope they release a sneak peak of the Cutter at some point so I can decide which major faction I want to grind out.

(I know we'll see next week but I wanted to get the ball rolling this weekend before I spergle out over the betas :saddowns:)

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I hope they release a sneak peak of the Cutter at some point so I can decide which major faction I want to grind out.

(I know we'll see next week but I wanted to get the ball rolling this weekend before I spergle out over the betas :saddowns:)

This shouldn't even be up in the air.

The Clipper is the master of the slam with it's glorious whale song announcing the end to player ships across the 'verse.

Pledge Empire, my child, you know in your heart that it is the right thing to do.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah but the Corvette looks slick as hell.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Never Not Boost

Clipper is made of boost...

So Never Not Clipper. Simple.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I get interdicted by pirates and cops with no quests and no criminal record. You are never free from it while you're in populated space.

I love getting interdicted by a Vulture and getting 400 credits for the kill

Big time operators for sure

LCL-Dead posted:

This shouldn't even be up in the air.

The Clipper is the master of the slam with it's glorious whale song announcing the end to player ships across the 'verse.

Pledge Empire, my child, you know in your heart that it is the right thing to do.

This is 100% true

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Never Not Boost

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I already have a Clipper :ssh:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Stock up before the rank comes back

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The FAS actually looks like a Goddamned fish and can fire two large plasma accelerators aligned with its nose while ramming. What more could you want in this life?

Oh cool so it's like other goals, then. When I first checked it just said the reward was proportional to combat bonds submitted and didn't show tiers, so I figured it was different. Is it particularly hard to regain neutrality if you drive a major faction like the Empire to hate you?

Sard fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 6, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sard posted:

The FAS actually looks like a Goddamned fish and can fire two large plasma accelerators aligned with its nose while ramming. What more could you want in this life?

Oh cool so it's like other goals, then. When I first checked it just said the reward was proportional to combat bonds submitted and didn't show tiers, so I figured it was different. Is it particularly hard to regain neutrality if you drive a major faction like the Empire to hate you?

Fighting in a Combat Zone will not affect your reputation with the factions inside. You can kill Imperials all day, and the local Imperial stations will still cheerfully cash out your Combat Bonds. I guess it's like how soccer teams shake hands after the match.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Picked up an assassination mission for some variety yesterday. Looked at 4 high tech stations for an interdictor before realizing it is an internal component and not a utility one. The mission itself (and running from the police after) was fun though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaardvark posted:

Fighting in a Combat Zone will not affect your reputation with the factions inside. You can kill Imperials all day, and the local Imperial stations will still cheerfully cash out your Combat Bonds. I guess it's like how soccer teams shake hands after the match.

Dismembered hands in this case maybe

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Strategic Tea posted:

You're not going to grind a clipper in an evening and you'll burn out if you try.

EXCUSE ME BUT I HAPPENED TO DO EXACTLY THIS and it really sucked don't do it contemplate picking up a hobby like a recreational meth addiction before you consider trying to do this holy poo poo never again

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

oh my god he couldn't even pass proving grounds silver in wow pleease noooooo

Does E:D cause people to misremember forum posts? Because that never happened.

But holy christ, I just looked up docking on the E:D wikia to learn more, and you guys were objectively lying about the game not being spergy. Guess the genre didn't learn how to do things properly from Freelancer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't use the E: D wiki it's full of poo poo and mostly out of date.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

But holy christ, I just looked up docking on the E:D wikia to learn more, and you guys were objectively lying about the game not being spergy. Guess the genre didn't learn how to do things properly from Freelancer.

:allears:

yes yes let the hate flow through you

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Never Not Boost

This is science fact. Really this should be the only thing in the OP.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Docking literally has 3 simple steps:

1. Fly inside station
2. ???
3. Laser disco party

What exactly is so hard to grasp?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Guess the genre didn't learn how to do things properly from Freelancer.
The takeaway lesson from Freelancer was not to do things like Chris Roberts, I think Frontier are doing okay on that front so far.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Newsletter is out.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=2e8fbe7909

This week, David's sneak peek videos of Elite Dangerous: Horizons continued, showing off a cold, deep misty crater. The mist is formed from volatiles released from the rocks below. These are not uncommon, and even possible at high temperatures, where lead vapour can also form high temperature mists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jE7UhIyRnA

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

And a couple of nice Python shots I found...C:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dante80 posted:

Newsletter is out.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=2e8fbe7909

This week, David's sneak peek videos of Elite Dangerous: Horizons continued, showing off a cold, deep misty crater. The mist is formed from volatiles released from the rocks below. These are not uncommon, and even possible at high temperatures, where lead vapour can also form high temperature mists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jE7UhIyRnA
That looks pretty and I'm looking forward to testing out the new ships. Also the 24th can't come soon enough. :allears:

MisterBibs posted:

It's really not that hard. :v:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I don't think we're in danger of him making it far enough to have a ship that needs a docking computer

Also ED is only spergy from the outside AKA if you have zero idea how any of the systems work. Once you spend even a few days loving around and ~asking questions~ you see its pretty drat shallow.

e: of course I lost my PP rank because I did a ton of combat to the point of having 3% hull left and no functional shields, so I went home to turn it in. Clipper clipped the mailslot and I blew up. Was too angry to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Dude, every wiki makes it's game look like Asperger: The Game.

Elite is rather relaxed, as long you just play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGO-szs1z8

• Locked thread