Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Your friend just spent $2000 on sex to get his dick wet. Tell him maybe use a condom or date someone who uses birth control, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Lauren Batchelder of Chester N.H. waits for Donald Trump to stop talking after interrupting her and to continue with her question on women’s rights at the No Labels Problem Solver Convention in Manchester N.H. on Monday, October 12, 2015.

I feel like this is a metaphor somehow...

Wasn't she the plant from the Bush campaign who forgot to take her employment information off social media, letting her get caught in about 30 seconds?

Job numbers in, 271k+, labor force participation up, unemployment falls to 5%. So of course the stock market dropped in response to this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Wasn't she the plant from the Bush campaign who forgot to take her employment information off social media, letting her get caught in about 30 seconds?

Haha yeah, but it's still a great image.

quote:

Job numbers in, 271k+, labor force participation up, unemployment falls to 5%. So of course the stock market dropped in response to this.

That's because real actual unemployment is at 95% due to Obama's disastrous policies I'm afraid.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Lauren Batchelder of Chester N.H. waits for Donald Trump to stop talking after interrupting her and to continue with her question on women’s rights at the No Labels Problem Solver Convention in Manchester N.H. on Monday, October 12, 2015.

I feel like this is a metaphor somehow...

It is indeed a metaphor for Trump interrupting and dominating Jeb

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

Rubio can also not speak. Or think very well. Or appears charismatic.

Also I don''t know if anyone has noticed this but he's a Hispanic guy running for the presidential nomination of a party that wants to a build a wall only at the part of the border where Hispanics might appear.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

I love the market as a psychological thing. :allears:

It likely dropped on the news in anticipation of a December rate hike by the Fed. Two months ago the market dropped when the Fed postponed the hike because of the continuing uncertainty.

Basically day to day workings of the market are :derp:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fried Chicken posted:

That's mostly in response to the Fed taking a harder position on raising interest rates.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I just don't understand how any cisgendered woman capable of getting pregnant could still vote for someone after hearing that! How is that not a total campaign killer? He thinks that a fetus is a living being and worth protecting but I'm not.

e: have any of these "NO ABORTIONS EVER!!" people ever heard of ectopic pregnancies? They'll kill the mom if they're not aborted in time, and the fetus won't survive either. So if you get an abortion, 1 out of 2 lives are saved. Without an abortion, both the fetus and mother will die. It doesn't make sense.

Going back to this, there's also a lot of "It's the punishment god decreed because Eve ate the apple" poo poo going on too. It's really awful. So yeah you'll have the "Oh it'll never happen to ME" but even worse, in my mind, is there are people who will believe "I deserve this." :negative:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

And the eventual winner will build us infrastructure blinged up with their name and likeness. It's win-win!

I'm just saying we should support Obama's bid for proconsular authority over Gaul.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Interesting enough, bt it seems to miss out on a lot of the actual history of the conservative movement in favor of its internal hagiography, and thus doesn't understand why it pursues the goals it does, and thus why it can't break from them.

Well it is written by a self-ID'd former neocon.

I think the article is a little soft on movement conservatism and its merits, and seems a little nostalgic for the golden days of Reagan and the late 70s, but it is 100% correct in its assesment that conservatism is a dead/undead ideology that has no future except being slowly ground down to nothing by liberalism

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 6, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Awaiting the punditry this weekend. "IS UNEMPLOYMENT TOO LOW?!" and "Why a higher unemployment rate is good for business owners, more people to choose from"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Job numbers in, 271k+, labor force participation up, unemployment falls to 5%.

Wow, Speaker Ryan is already making improvements :monocle:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It doesn't make sense.

"Abortion bad."

See? All the sense you need! :downs:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rhesus Pieces posted:

May the primaries never end.

Hey, where is Taibbi supposedly writing these days? I need to re-add his poo poo to my Feedly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ben Carson is so shocked and offended whenever anyone takes anything he says seriously...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey, where is Taibbi supposedly writing these days? I need to re-add his poo poo to my Feedly.

He's back with rolling stone I think

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mcmagic posted:

Ben Carson is so shocked and offended whenever anyone takes anything he says seriously...

I kind of feel bad for him. He's clearly just in this to shill his loving book and get some cushy job saying dumb poo poo on FOX or whatever, but his grift has proven so successful that he can't gracefully get out of the race without ruining his hard-earned con.

So now he has to keep up appearances until an exit opportunity finally crops up, but with all the other crazy assholes in the race it's gonna be a while yet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Dr. Tough posted:

It is indeed a metaphor for Trump interrupting and dominating Jeb

Untrue. Plant or no, this woman is actually capable of getting pissed off at Trump and showing it in an appropriate manner. There's more backbone in her right there than Jeb Bush will possess in his entire lifetime.

But that does sort of highlight what a sad little man Jeb is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Business Gorillas posted:

what's Rubio's stance on abortions?

i know someone who i just found out is a Rubio supporter and he's talked 4 girls into not having him use a condom, knocking them up, and having them get abortions, which is why i'm asking

Your friend is a shitlord and should be god drat ashamed of himself. I'm pro-abortion as all hell but your friend needs to take some loving responsibility for himself instead of expecting his partners to do all the lifting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FairGame posted:

I kind of feel bad for him. He's clearly just in this to shill his loving book and get some cushy job saying dumb poo poo on FOX or whatever, but his grift has proven so successful that he can't gracefully get out of the race without ruining his hard-earned con.

So now he has to keep up appearances until an exit opportunity finally crops up, but with all the other crazy assholes in the race it's gonna be a while yet.

Oh his exit opportunity is the media... he's just letting it build up. Eventually he'll back out of the race because he feels the media is ganging up on him and his family and would continue to do so during his pregnancy Presidency (not sure why I typed pregnancy but it's funny and I'm leaving it in) and by golly he loves America too much to let that happen to the presidency!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

mcmagic posted:

I'm starting to wonder if he's not saying all the crazy poo poo he believes in an effort to finally drop down to a reasonable place in the polls to hawk his book (while attracting the desired niche of the base) and is pissed off that they have to actually explain to people that these aren't the opinions of someone who seriously expects to be President.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

His endgame is to crazy himself out of the race. The only issue is that the Republican base is eating that crazy up like its the gospel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm starting to wonder if he's not saying all the crazy poo poo he believes in an effort to finally drop down to a reasonable place in the polls to hawk his book (while attracting the desired niche of the base) and is pissed off that they have to actually explain to people that these aren't the opinions of someone who seriously expects to be President.

My parents are 100% certain he's legitimately running for president. They're Dem as hell so they're not voting for him, but they don't see his actions and...person as being anything but genuine.

They've also said that they could totally understand feeling that they "have" to vote for the man based on his work as a doctor if you were a former patient of his, or family of a former patient. Which is a scary thought:

"His policies are horrible, He's pretty close to the "danger" zone of religious belief, and it's becoming pretty clear that outside of being a brain mechanic he's a terrible doctor; But he "save" me/my kid/my brother/etc so I have to vote for him."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Doctor Butts posted:

He's back at Rolling Stone, but going by Twitter he is more covering campaigns than doing investigative journalism

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Necc0 posted:

That's mostly in response to the Fed taking a harder position on raising interest rates.

Exactly. The Fed has been waffling on raising interest rates over the past few months because while unemployment is down, growth and inflation aren't really up, and employment isn't exactly booming.

Higher interest rates cool the economy of course, since it's more expensive to borrow (which banks love since they can pass the interest rate hikes on to consumers) and bonds become more attractive because their guaranteed rate of return is higher.

Since the Fed signaled last month that they still might raise rates this year (recent weakness in jobs figures had suggested that the economy had stalled) investors have already been a bit shaky, and of course continued growth of employment figures is only fuel for interest rate hawks' arguments that the economy needs to cool down. Since this translates to a considerably higher chance that they'll go up in December than expected yesterday (probably 75%, up from 35%), investors are pulling their money out of the market in anticipation of the hike and the market drops.

If it weren't for the risk of an interest rake hike in the near future being directly linked to this news, the market would have gone up, as you thought it would.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Crain posted:

My parents are 100% certain he's legitimately running for president. They're Dem as hell so they're not voting for him, but they don't see his actions and...person as being anything but genuine.

They've also said that they could totally understand feeling that they "have" to vote for the man based on his work as a doctor if you were a former patient of his, or family of a former patient. Which is a scary thought:

"His policies are horrible, He's pretty close to the "danger" zone of religious belief, and it's becoming pretty clear that outside of being a brain mechanic he's a terrible doctor; But he "save" me/my kid/my brother/etc so I have to vote for him."

People just love coming up with theoreticals and then declaring them as fact. They frequently bear no resemblance to what they'd really do in those circumstances, and it helps you feel like you're in control when you probably have no freaking clue what's going through someone's head.

Which is pretty much why we're dealing with this political shitshow, actually.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So making up people you may have consensually had relations with == making up people you violently attacked against their will. Got it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For perspective, the rate hike will be small and we'll likely see a rebound next week as confidence in a strong economy overshadows the fear of a minor rate hike.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RevKrule posted:

So making up people you may have consensually had relations with == making up people you violently attacked against their will. Got it.

It's actually better, to help with the narrative Obama combined two girls into one for his biography and was pretty open about it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's actually better, to help with the narrative Obama combined two girls into one for his biography and was pretty open about it.

So technically Obama has been involved in a threesome?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Speaking of Taibbi, he may have a point here:

quote:

@mtaibbi: All of us liberal smartasses are having so much fun laughing at Carson, we're going to give him at least a five-point bump in the polls.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Carson's numbers jump purely out of resentment and we start hearing about "grain truthers". Remember, facts don't matter anymore and pointing them out to people is an attack on their character.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He really is going full on shithead isn't he? What happened to his "sensible moderate" rebranding?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mdemone posted:

Also I don''t know if anyone has noticed this but he's a Hispanic guy running for the presidential nomination of a party that wants to a build a wall only at the part of the border where Hispanics might appear.

Rubio is Cuban, though, and he doesn't want to build a wall in the Florida Channel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

He really is going full on shithead isn't he? What happened to his "sensible moderate" rebranding?

Nothing is going to draw worse ratings than cogent, sober analysis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

Nothing is going to draw worse ratings than cogent, sober analysis.

I guess. Though his show is watched by like 5,000 people and he gets rewarded with an extra hour haha.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

mdemone posted:

"Our candidate is Hispanic! See? We're not racist!"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So long Keystone

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

RevKrule posted:

Obama does make up girlfriends but he explains in the book that that's what he's doing. I forget why, but he amalgamates a few girlfriends into one or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crain posted:

The amount of people he's surgerized and their families has got to be a statistically insignificant asking of folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So long Keystone

Good. Let it burn.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trudeau agrees.

• Locked thread