Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahaha the police had an expert witness come in and say the taser was malfunctioning so what looked like him being electrocuted and spasming was actually probably him reacting wildly and reaching for a gun (no gun was found on the victim).

Juries are loving idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I'm told that the only thing the prosecution did was put the coroner in and play the video. An effective way to force not guilty.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mavric posted:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/11/mearkle_verdict.html

Welp, not guilty for shooting a tazed man in the back while he was flopped face down on the ground.

I know local defense lawyers and they all know this cop to be a hot head with an itchy trigger finger. Best part is, this cop had arrested this same person previously, so she knew how much of a potential violent threat this guy was (he wasn't).

Well nice we see we've shattered another glass ceiling

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What's the Grandpa on Facebook take on why this is really no big deal?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Radbot posted:

What's the Grandpa on Facebook take on why this is really no big deal?

Youtube Comments posted:

What was he reaching for? How many times would you keep reaching into your coat or shirt after being told to stop and keep your hands visible? Because this addict did it one too many times.

His hands, of course, were clearly visible the whole time.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I've been away from the thread awhile, what's the thread's opinion on "The Ferguson Effect" That the FBI was yammering about?

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

BloodFeastIslandMan posted:

The Illinois police officer whose death sparked a massive manhunt actually killed himself after stealing from the town for years. I remember rumors of suicide coming out a week or two after the shooting but it was still used to push the War on Cops bullshit. http://abcnews.go.com/US/authorities-reveal-conclusive-results-shooting-death-fox-lake/story?id=34961028

Well..

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fox-lake-lt-joseph-gliniewicz-tried-put-hit-administrator-police-n458156

Looks like he maybe was considering murder for hire on the administrator who appeared to be pushing the investigation? Hell, the guy who crashed, shot up, and torched his own car fueling the war on cops bullshit was bad enough. This guy really took the cake. Looks like he took the cowards way out in the hopes he'd be held up as a hero (hell, he got a month of it) rather than go down for who knows how much illegal poo poo was going on there.

Didn't the chief resign two days before this? Probably knew it was all crumbling and would rather fake his own murder and risk the lives of anyone fitting his loose description of the killers. That's some cold poo poo, we're really lucky no one got killed for it. With any luck anyone associated with him goes down hard, including anyone trying to cover it up as a suicide.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Armyman25 posted:

I haven't any idea. I watched the video and am not in favor of the cop's actions. Ok, so you told someone to use the sidewalk instead of the road, but then why do you need to run their name? Stopping her the way they did and interrogating her are not something that is warranted based on what she was doing.

I hate the relationship we have with cops in the US. Supposedly we're a free country, but we have to identify ourselves and justify our presence and actions to uniformed members of the state at their discretion. It's a really odd thing when I think about it. For most of human history we haven't had this relationship with the state, what has changed now that causes us to have to account for ourselves to our government like this?

Are there any recommended books on the rise of modern police forces?

There was no such thing as a social safety net provided by the government either, for most of human history. Or a million other things that are now provided by the government, for that matter.

e: It's also been this way for more than a century now-- actually people have better protections against malicious cop behavior now than ever before.

tsa fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 6, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Well..

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fox-lake-lt-joseph-gliniewicz-tried-put-hit-administrator-police-n458156

Looks like he maybe was considering murder for hire on the administrator who appeared to be pushing the investigation? Hell, the guy who crashed, shot up, and torched his own car fueling the war on cops bullshit was bad enough. This guy really took the cake. Looks like he took the cowards way out in the hopes he'd be held up as a hero (hell, he got a month of it) rather than go down for who knows how much illegal poo poo was going on there.

Didn't the chief resign two days before this? Probably knew it was all crumbling and would rather fake his own murder and risk the lives of anyone fitting his loose description of the killers. That's some cold poo poo, we're really lucky no one got killed for it. With any luck anyone associated with him goes down hard, including anyone trying to cover it up as a suicide.

I'm not even sure if he meant to suicide out, they found him bleeding out right? Did he try to just really hurt himself and killed himself instead? I figure "hero cop chases down drug dealers, gets shot, is recuperating" would quash any investigation just as much as a suicide right?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

tsa posted:

There was no such thing as a social safety net provided by the government either, for most of human history. Or a million other things that are now provided by the government, for that matter.

e: It's also been this way for more than a century now-- actually people have better protections against malicious cop behavior now than ever before.

Yeah, and?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pathetic little tramp posted:

I'm not even sure if he meant to suicide out, they found him bleeding out right? Did he try to just really hurt himself and killed himself instead? I figure "hero cop chases down drug dealers, gets shot, is recuperating" would quash any investigation just as much as a suicide right?

He was found bleeding out, but I can't find word on how long he survived.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was in the Air Force with Officer Joe Gliniewicz's brother Shawn. I was sad for him when everything first happened. I don't have anything nice to say about his brother be cause he was always a dick to me. Every new story that comes out makes me wonder if Shawns extreme right wing views on policing are getting shattered. The whole thing is loving crazy.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Well I think he actually shot himself twice. Once to graze his bulletproof vest and another to mortally wound.

But, hell, it's possible.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Surviving would just prolong the inevitable and he'd be around to face the public humiliation. As bad as police corruption is, the amount he embezzled and the scope of misconduct is very hard to cover up these days. IT is great because it leaves easily-accessible electronic trails. And as willing as the public is to turn a blind eye to minor malfeasance by a proven hero, they would turn on him in an instant when faced with exactly how corrupt he was.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
This is getting MUCH worse than previously reported

Maybe now that the State Police and city officials are spreading some light on the fact that the court marshals appear to be full of poo poo, maybe (just maybe) this execution of an 6-year old MIGHT start to gain some traction in the national news.

BTW, I hate this loving state sometimes.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Maybe now that the State Police and city officials are spreading some light on the fact that the court marshals appear to be full of poo poo, maybe (just maybe) this execution of an 6-year old MIGHT start to gain some traction in the national news.

Well this is very interesting:

quote:

Few was afraid of the marshals, she said, because he and and one of the marshals on the scene had a prior personal conflict.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I doubt even the fact that it was a white kid will make any real difference, but it's a better chance than if it was a black kid. It would have been better if it was a cute little white girl but this might be good enough.

Probably not.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ChairMaster posted:

I doubt even the fact that it was a white kid will make any real difference, but it's a better chance than if it was a black kid. It would have been better if it was a cute little white girl but this might be good enough.

Probably not.

This reads really bad. I know you don't actually mean it that way, but this post is very unfortunately formulated.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

This is straight up murder. The fact they're refusing to talk to the state police investigating shows they know they're completely in the wrong. Frankly im surprised they havent all been arrested and locked up separately to prevent collusion.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
wow what a clusterfuck

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lmao, it's the Daily Beast, but apparently Officer Embezzle Suicide might have had his son marry his mistress so that his mistress could receive a military spousal stipend.

And this is the Days of our [blue] lives.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phone posted:

Lmao, it's the Daily Beast, but apparently Officer Embezzle Suicide might have had his son marry his mistress so that his mistress could receive a military spousal stipend.

And this is the Days of our [blue] lives.

What a goddamn bastard.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Here is a helpful list of people who used GI Joe's death as evidence of a War On Police.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Jarmak posted:

Well this is very interesting:

Zeroed in on that "He was no angel" pretty quick. You're getting good at it.

Interesting in what possible way that would result in a 6 year old getting filled with bullet holes? Since he was in the back seat and the father was in the car and the shots came from the side he wasn't using the kid as a shield so please, divine for us from this one vague statement what possible interesting fact could be taken from it. Because opening fire on a car with a child in it sounds alot like somewhere between recklessness in discharging a firearm at a child to flat out murder to the unwashed masses of non-cops and lawyers.

I also loving love how the interesting part to cop dick suckers was a line from his wife referencing who knows what whats not interesting to you are things like:

-Story changing from "He was coming right for me!" to "“No. I didn’t say that,” he told the Guardian. “That didn’t come from me.”"
-The first lie that is was "an exchange of gunfire" to having to admit Few didn't have a gun.
-Refusing to release the dashcam footage with the lame excuse of "“You’d have to ask them. We are trying to talk with them.” from the head of the state police. Also He added that the officers involved – there are four – had so far refused to speak with state police investigators.

No, what is interesting to you is his wife said he had a problem with one of the cops once.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 6, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
The quote from the Guardian article is superb:

quote:

He added that the officers involved – there are four – had so far refused to speak with state police investigators. Police have not released the names of the involved officers.

Asked by the Guardian what reason they offered for their silence, Edmonson said: “You’d have to ask them. We are trying to talk with them.”

"Why don't YOU try asking them, they won't talk with us! :cry:"

Imagine if a civilian simply refused to speak with investigators. Anyone who believes the police aren't 100% above the law, above their own oversight, and above all accountability are either deranged or malicious.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

This is straight up murder. The fact they're refusing to talk to the state police investigating shows they know they're completely in the wrong. Frankly im surprised they havent all been arrested and locked up separately to prevent collusion.
Or they understand that being investigated for homicide is a great reason to shut up and only communicate through your lawyer.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Chalets the Baka posted:

Imagine if a civilian simply refused to speak with investigators. Anyone who believes the police aren't 100% above the law, above their own oversight, and above all accountability are either deranged or malicious.

Except smart people do this all the time when they are arrested? They're called lawyers and everyone gets one, even cops.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

buttcoinbrony posted:

Except smart people do this all the time when they are arrested? They're called lawyers and everyone gets one, even cops.

They weren't arrested.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you calling everyone who gets denied the right to a lawyer dumb then?

I mean, it usually is pretty hard for dead people to hire lawyers, though.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

buttcoinbrony posted:

Isn't part of being a cop (obviously depending on the jurisdiction) is if you fire your service weapon you give a report as to why you fired?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
These guys weren't "cops" in the traditional sense, btw. They were court marshals, which is kind of a weird police force for the court itself.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I hadn't thought about that and you might be right on the report specifically. Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen so far I think this shooting is a gigantic clusterfuck and that most/all of the cops involved deserve jail time or at the very least unemployment. I just get a bit nervous when we start calling for certain classes of people to not get rights that everyone else gets.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Toasticle posted:

Zeroed in on that "He was no angel" pretty quick. You're getting good at it.

Interesting in what possible way that would result in a 6 year old getting filled with bullet holes? Since he was in the back seat and the father was in the car and the shots came from the side he wasn't using the kid as a shield so please, divine for us from this one vague statement what possible interesting fact could be taken from it. Because opening fire on a car with a child in it sounds alot like somewhere between recklessness in discharging a firearm at a child to flat out murder to the unwashed masses of non-cops and lawyers.

I also loving love how the interesting part to cop dick suckers was a line from his wife referencing who knows what whats not interesting to you are things like:

-Story changing from "He was coming right for me!" to "“No. I didn’t say that,” he told the Guardian. “That didn’t come from me.”"
-The first lie that is was "an exchange of gunfire" to having to admit Few didn't have a gun.
-Refusing to release the dashcam footage with the lame excuse of "“You’d have to ask them. We are trying to talk with them.” from the head of the state police. Also He added that the officers involved – there are four – had so far refused to speak with state police investigators.

No, what is interesting to you is his wife said he had a problem with one of the cops once.

Interesting because it implies there might be some sort of much bigger small town corruption angle here if the victim was so visibly terrified at the arrival of marshals solely on the basis he'd had a personal conflict with one in the past? Interesting cause its beginning to sound like there's a much greater malfeasance going on here with the marshals then just being trigger happy idiots.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

At least one of the shooters was a Marksville police officer who was moonlighting for the city marshal’s office, an agency responsible for serving court papers . But according to Marksville’s mayor, John Lemoine, city marshal Floyd Voinche and his officers have recently begun overstepping their authority

Huh. Well that's certainly never a topic of concern in this thread.

Edit:

Jarmak posted:

Interesting because it implies there might be some sort of much bigger small town corruption angle here if the victim was so visibly terrified at the arrival of marshals solely on the basis he'd had a personal conflict with one in the past? Interesting cause its beginning to sound like there's a much greater malfeasance going on here with the marshals then just being trigger happy idiots.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt - your observation and the mayor's statement above begins to paint a very ugly picture.

Raerlynn fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Jarmak posted:

If thats what you meant I apologize.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

They weren't arrested.

Thats really irrelevant though, its almost never a good idea to talk to cops if you're a suspect in a crime, cops know this better then anyone (or court marshals), there's a bunch of red flags in this case but them excising their right to remain silent isn't one of them

Raerlynn posted:

Huh. Well that's certainly never a topic of concern in this thread.

Yeah that was the other quote that caught my attention.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Toasticle posted:

Isn't part of being a cop (obviously depending on the jurisdiction) is if you fire your service weapon you give a report as to why you fired?

Garrity.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

These guys weren't "cops" in the traditional sense, btw. They were court marshals, which is kind of a weird police force for the court itself.

There were 4 officers, from the last report I read. 2 of them were actual marshals. The other 2 were cops working on the side as marshals.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I'm from Pointe Coupee parish, which abuts Avoyelles parish; I have former classmates that are cops, sheriffs, lawyers, et. al. in this area.

From what little I've heard yesterday, there seems to be a tight focus on what the marshals are/aren't allowed to do. My understanding is that the service of warrants is not supposed to include things like ongoing surviellance (sic) without cooperation from the law enforcement community within that parish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Thats really irrelevant though, its almost never a good idea to talk to cops if you're a suspect in a crime, cops know this better then anyone (or court marshals), there's a bunch of red flags in this case but them excising their right to remain silent isn't one of them

You constantly hear the stereotype that (poor, minority) neighborhoods don't cooperate with the police. It's also a constant drum beaten in cases where a neighborhood is in a high crime area. I get why it's a smart move, but the juxtaposition is less a red flag and more a source of dark amusement.

• Locked thread